Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Camel Pimp posted:

...it's hard to view his motivation as altruistic.

Indeed, filling a room full of stockholm fairies should not/does not humanize a man who committed outlandish atrocities. In fact, it actually makes him more creepy to me because locking someone up and isolating them from the world to "protect" them is basically what he's all about in the first game, and the fairies are just more of that.

Oh hey, are Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: The Silver Star spoilers okay in this thread? Just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Jenner posted:

Indeed, filling a room full of stockholm fairies should not/does not humanize a man who committed outlandish atrocities. In fact, it actually makes him more creepy to me because locking someone up and isolating them from the world to "protect" them is basically what he's all about in the first game, and the fairies are just more of that.

Oh hey, are Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: The Silver Star spoilers okay in this thread? Just curious.

God, I would hope so, considering the cinematic in the second to last update itself just spoiled us on like, the lion's share of the final act of the first game.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Jenner posted:

So... basically Ghaleon just read Catcher in the Rye and completely misinterpreted it?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jenner posted:

Yeah, anything from the previous game is fair play. That stuff gets referenced plenty in Eternal Blue, so feel free to talk about it.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

So... basically Ghaleon just read Catcher in the Rye and completely misinterpreted it?

Ghaleon's just a phony. A big fat phony.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I'm really glad that this LP is back, it really brightened my days to read the updates! Also looking forward to more Anime Elf Hitler!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Camel Pimp posted:

More like he read Misery and was inspired.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 27: Back on Track

: "That place was weird."

: "That place was a fuckin' riot!"

Anyway, nothing left to do but find our way back to Nota and see if we can't think up a new way past.

Last thing I wanna do is take another trip in the Magic Arrow and run into Magus from Chrono Trigger or some poo poo.

Music ~ JUSTICE

BOOM

BOOM

BOOM

: "What's up, losers?"

: "Leo! The funniest thing just happened! We were--"

: "I'm not here for your jokes, you traitor, I'm here for justice!"

: "Pfft, whatever. Tool."

: "Lucia?!"

: "I must accomplish my mission, Hiro. I cannot surrender."

Well, not eternity. I'm sure most people would die pretty quickly under so Zophar's rule.

: "Thank you, Hiro. Now, let's--"

: "Aw, crap."

Hell yes, go Team Save The World!

Lemina's not on board.

Leo see people pointing weapons at him and is all like "I wonder what those dudes are talkin' about. Probs nothin'"

: "My given task is to execute Lucia before she destroys us all... and know that I have both the will and the resources to carry out that task."

: "Honestly, sweetie, you're embarrassing us."

CRACK

: "What the HELL?!"

: "BWAHAHAHAHAHA TODAY RULES!"

If I've learned anything from popular media, it's that electric shocks that make your skeleton appear are the only ones that DON'T kill you. Just keep him away from falling anvils for a while, that might be pushing his luck.

: (What a tool that guy was.)

Just had to get a dramatic cape move in before teleporting away, didn't ya, you smug bastard.

Maybe his last name is Madigan :v:

: "Keep the Dragon Cannon aimed at Lucia, and ready to fire! Don't take your eyes off her!"

: "Oh God, oh God, we're so screwed!"

: "I know he's a big jerk and all, but I hope Leo's okay. Whatever hit him really must have hurt!"

: "He's taken worse than that and survived...so let's get outta here while we have the chance."

Ronnie's right, but before we scope out Nota, there's a little pit stop we can make nearby.

We're back, fuckers, and we have some opinions on your Magic Arrow.

Where's the crotch punch button in this game?

What an rear end in a top hat. Let's tell his boss what a turd he is.

Oh right, this circus is terrible.

Anyway, back to Nota.

Now that the Destiny has run off with its tail between its legs, we can cross the bridge and continue on our way.

Hmmm, where have I heard that name before...?

West Nota has its own shops, tavern, and even Goddess Statue. Nota is like two towns for the price of one!

: "Lucia the Destroyer, which come here from the Blue Star to murder our world."

: "Hiro, a pillager of ruins with two green tattoos beneath his left eye. His eyes and hair are brown."

: "Ronfar, a gambler and swindler from the town of Larpa, age 45. His eyes and hair are also brown."

: "They are accompanied by a flying pink cat, name unknown."

: "Unknown accomplice, my rear end!"

Note that this game is not Suikoden, so there is no trading economy to make money off of. Unless you're an NPC, apparently.

: "It's beautiful!"

: "I'll cliche my foot up your rear end."

The local equipment shop is worth scoping out before you leave.

Everything here is better than the equivalent items we already have, so I end up blowing most of my hard earned blood money to gear up.

Just for funsies, let's pop into the tavern and see what's shakin'.

: "It's not that I'm embarrassed about it. My brother is a great man, and sells great booze. It's that West and East Nota don't get along like they used to. But it wasn't always that way."

: "The tradition used to be that every wedding in Nota was held out on the bridge. The bridge symbolized the eternal connection between the two halves of Nota just as marriage is an eternal connection of love between a man and a woman. But the tradition died, along with the relationship between West and East Nota. It's a drat shame. The people of West Nota value law and order, and the people of East Nota favor...well, anarchy."

Well...good luck with that one, pal.

Rude :mad:

: "He's kind of an ugly little bugger, but he's cheerful to a fault. I can't help but like him. I just hope the kid gets a little better-looking as he gets older..."

That's a pretty sick burn to drop on a 8 year old.

I wonder if any modern JRPG could get away with poo poo like this.

Back outside, we find this guy.

I like this guy.

Oh, hey, Jafar, what up?

Oh, this is the guy that the Mayor of East Nota is gonna marry his daughter off to, even though she's totally in love with some other dude. Man, am I glad we don't have to get involved in this subplot.

Okay, I was just looking for the treasure chest, but we stumbled across the third player in Nota's little soap opera. Also, that dude's name was really Romeo? Are you making GBS threads me?

I want to help you out, buddy, but I just can't be involved in a subplot about Romeo and Julie. I just...can't.

Anyway, prizes.

Oh, looks like we have too much Herb to carry any more. When this happens, you just put it back in the chest so you can come back for it later. Weed jokes optional.

: "It's a pretty good stretch to Azado, but I'm sure we can make it. And since Azado is a port of call, we can sail from there to the Holy City of Pentagulia."

Welp, you heard the man. I sure hope our journey will be cool so we can just chill out for a while.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yep, thank Althena we don't have to get involved in any tacky romantic subplot.

Unless we want the Remembrizer to collect cutscenes. Which was cool and all, back before YouTube was a thing, but now it's just a bit of completely unnecessary completion percentage bait.

...which means I'll be getting it and all the cutscenes anyway. Every. drat. Time. drat my completionist nature. *sob*

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crowetron posted:

I wonder if any modern JRPG could get away with poo poo like this.

Just ask these scrubs.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, so Ghaleon's an equal-opportunity hero blaster. Good to know.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ghaleon: No, Leo, those are MY heroes to be evil with. Get your own!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Ghaleon actually has really bad eyesight, but he just decided to play it off like he meant to do that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it's just that Leo is the type of person anyone would want to smite.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Camel Pimp posted:

Ghaleon actually has really bad eyesight, but he just decided to play it off like he meant to do that.
He probably had trouble flicking his wrists or something, because I think he hit Leo several times.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crowetron posted:

: "Unknown accomplice, my rear end!"

Comparing Pierce to Ruby is really cruel, Crowetron.

To Pierce, that is.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

Comparing Pierce to Ruby is really cruel, Crowetron.

To Pierce, that is.

In my mad attempt to make Ruby a less lovely character, I lost sight of who I was really hurting :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Just go pound a Saints Flow, that'll make it all feel better.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

You know, I always did see Atlus USA as a leaner, meaner Working Designs. This kind of clinches it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Phew, finally got caught up with the thread.

I never did finish Lunar 2: Eternal Blue for the PSX, so I'm really interested to see what happens. This is also a huge trip down memory lane. I think I played this in Junior High or something.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hey guys. Some real life stuff came up, so no update this week. I feel bad about doing this after just coming back from a laziness hiatus, but there's nothing for it. Regular updates will resume next week, and I promise I will spend a lot of time thinking really hard about jokes for you.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

This is sort of a nostalgia trip. The good old days when all it took to be evil was a smug expression and maniacal laughter. Oh Ghaelon.

also, calling it now: Next thing we know it's three months from now and Crowetron posts "so guys, GTA:Online is pretty neat and uhhhh"

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Real life problems? Casual. :smug: Don't you know gamers aren't supposed to have a life?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 28: Frozen Butts

Let's continue our journey towards Pentawhatever by heading north.

This is what ecosystems look like.

Now that we have at least two party members dressed incredibly inappropriately for it, we can visit our mandatory snow region.p

Welcome to Zulan. No music link here because there's no music to be heard. Only the whistling winds of a 2D blizzard.

: "Don't worry, we're used to that."

Oh, it's just Colorado. No biggie.

Let's go poke around and see if we can't find ourselves a snow boarding mini-game.

: "That child's father was the best hunter in the village, and he was my best friend. He went into the mountains to eliminate the monster that has been tormenting our village..."

: "The hunter's son doesn't know that his father is dead. He's far too young to know the truth. He believes his mother's kind lie and thinks that his father has traveled to the Blue Star."

: "Y-yeah. That's real neat..."

Oh jeez :smith:

These kids are bringing me down. poo poo's too real, kids!

The Weapon and Armor shops are both in the same building. We'll head up here and check out the weapons first.

A Gold Mace for Ronnie and a Razor Fan for Jean. I can only afford one at the moment, so I upgrade Jean because Mortal Kombat rules :colbert:

Everything here is an upgrade to what we have, but I'm broke so I'll come back after the inevitable ice dungeon.

: "Unless everyone in Zulan decides to help me, this village is going to be suffocated by snowfall!"

No prizes for guessing what the next boss is.

: "The Mayor says they went into the mountains to gather some healing grass for their baby. They're going to die up there, and I don't want them to die!"

This isn't the Mayor's house, but let's see what's shakin' anyway.

: "It's too cold for me to hike into the mountains and gather some snowsprout for her...and we're almost out of food and firewood! We can only last a few more days."

: "The colder it gets around here, the sicker I get...and I've never been this sick before. [Cough!]"

: "Well, why don't you just move to a warmer town?"

: "It's not supposed to be this cold. The monster on that mountain is causing the blizzard...[Hack!]"

I'm starting to think we should do something about this, you guys.

This game has some rad NPCs.

If we try to leave town like a bunch of dicks, we'll be stopped by this kid.

: "Hiro, quickly! Make POSES with me!"

: "There's a really stinky, hairy, stupid monster running around in the mountains! The Mayor says that it's the monster's fault that we still have all this stupid snow!"

RPG.jpeg

So clearly we're not leaving until we save the day.

: "I've never had my snowmen last this long EVER! I must be the best snowman builder in the world!"

original snowman, do not steal

Oh poo poo, that's a perfect set-up and I can't think of anything, noooooooooooo

: "No kidding?! No one else in town ever mentioned a monster!!!"

: "Idiot."

Here's the mayor's house. Looks like he's got company.

:black101:

What is that, like 50 hit points or so?

Don't sweat it, the Heroes are here now :smug:

This kid rules.

Upstairs, we find the Mayor's bedroom and a treasure chest.

Hey, it's the cold that's killing them, so this armor wouldn't help anyway. :colbert:

Well, kinda, yeah.

: "Our village has been plagued by this snowstorm for many weeks, but this is not natural weather."

: "Yeah, we know."

: "A terrible creature has moved into the mountains above Zulan, and it somehow triggered this blizzard."

: "Oh Em Gee, I said 'We know'!"

: "A group of villagers went into the mountains to exterminate it, but they failed. Some of them even lost their lives in the attempt..."

: "She went to gather a special grass that grows only on the mountain above our village. It is called snowsprout grass, and while it doesn't taste very good, it has powerful healing properties."

: "But there has been no sign of Maria or her husband since they left the village."

There is only one acceptable answer when your name is "Hiro".

Lucia disapproves: -5

: "Should...should we say something?"

: "What, now? While the magical alien that shoots lasers with her mind is flipping out? gently caress no!"

: "My mission is too important. I will find Althena on my own."

Lucia leaves...

...and Hiro gives chase.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Psion posted:

also, calling it now: Next thing we know it's three months from now and Crowetron posts "so guys, GTA:Online is pretty neat and uhhhh"

Jokes on you, I was playing World of Warcraft :smug:

:smith:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh, they actually give a slightly better reason why killing the beast will cure the girl. Neat.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is something weird about this game as most of the mountains are adjacent to rivers of water.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I love the fact that the NPCs here actually tried to fight the monster. They show a lot more initiative than most even if they can't do a drat thing against it!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Crowetron posted:

: "No kidding?! No one else in town ever mentioned a monster!!!"

: "Idiot."

This is the best. Every character in your party who isn't Hiro or Lucia is the best character.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mailer posted:

This is the best. Every character in your party who isn't Hiro or Lucia is the best character.

They have their moments. Lucia in the Magic Arrow was one of my favorite lines in this LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, it's nice to be in a town where the NPCs have actually tried, even if they didn't succeed.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 29: Snow Problems

Last time, we stumbled upon a small mountain village in distress.

We elected to help them, but Lucia had no patience for our side-questy bullshit, so she bounced.

Well, Hiro was TRYING to have a moment, but I guess everything's just about you, isn't it, old man with a dying baby?

Alright, well now we're committed to this Snow Beast thing, so let's go stomp a Sasquatch.

Our party seems so much smaller somehow...:smith:

We're actually talking to the lady in the pink shawl from the previous screen shot, but Hiro's standing right on top of her because he's a JERK

: "For now, I've decided to focus most of my efforts on my new fish-cream business. Care to try a bite? It's just like ice cream, except for a spoonful of skin-rejuvenating fish oil!"

: "Yeah, well, it sure smells like you're selling a pile of opinions there, lady."

: "Haha, that's sweet, kiddo. But let's face it: those schmoes were just a bunch of snow farmers. But us? Look at us. We're pretty great. We even have a kung-fu gypsy! And whatever the hell Hiro is!"

: "...I'm an adventurer."

: "Sweetie, that sounds ridiculous."

Alright, so here's the lovely Dick Mountains. Or Zulan Mountains or whatever. I don't like this dungeon.

While it's not super annoying like a maze of teleporters, it is unbelievably boring. Out here, in the snow, there's still no music. Just the same looping wind noise.

There's also nothing really interesting to do or look at. You just kinda run to one side of the screen, go up a set of naturally occurring snow-stairs, and then run over to the other side and do it again.

And sometimes you fight dragons and troll things. Holy crap, I'm playing 32-bit Skyrim.

Anyway, the Wyburns are no big deal, since they don't hit that hard and can only target one person at a time. Barbarians can pack a wallop, but they're exactly as fast as they look, so you have plenty of time to deal with them before you need to worry about it.

And everything here is weak to fire :shepface:

And there's the downside. The enemies here can be a pretty fair challenge at this point in the game, but the rewards for dropping them is chump change. Yeah, I'm sure 96 exp split 4 ways is gonna have us rolling in levels, thanks fuckers.

There are also crazy monkeys that attack by throwing snow balls at you, so I guess it's not all bad.

: "Gross."

And here's the closest thing we have to a gimmick here. Occasionally, we find frozen cave entrances and Ruby melts them. Kinda like the Ice level in Final Fantasy 9. Oh, and the interior caves actually have music!

Music ~ Melancholy Heart

Of course, the caves also have these assholes.

Razor Wolves are, admittedly, pretty cool looking, but they are also living nightmares. They have more health than any of the other mooks roaming around, are nearly as fast as Hiro, and they have a nasty trick.

When they start spinning Hedgehog style, it means they're about to flip out and hit everyone in your party for anywhere from 40 to 60 HP. That's half of Lemina's max health gone in one move.

If you see a Razor Wolf, nuke the fucker as hard as you can.

Anyway, get dat money

Oooh, more treasure. Let me just take care of this monster and...

:derp:

Well, that was rough, but everyone made it out alive and Lem leveled up. Time for our healer to earn his pay, I suppose.

Oh, you dicks.

The caves are slightly better than the outside, but they're still pretty dull for an icy deathtrap.

Ronnie is not popular with the locals.

Jean levels up.

And she gains Dream Dance, which is basically Sleep Step but it hits multiple targets.

She does this by splitting into multiple dancers of death

Normally, in RPGs, I ignore status effects. They're dull, inefficient, and tend to just drag out battles, assuming they work at all. But sometimes, like the Shin Megami Tensei games, status effects can be pretty drat good.

Status spells in Lunar aren't quite as useful as SMT's, but they're not worthless either. The fact that they also do damage certainly helps!

Eventually, we're back outside and have to find the next cave. We can't just climb up the snow. There's no stair cases!

Here we have two options of ice walls to melt.

Well, that looks right. Let's check the other one, though.

:supaburn: SURPRISE MONKEY FIGHT :supaburn:

Our first choice was right. Yeah, we'll see a few more of those monster closet traps before we're done on this lovely mountain.

Another crest! The Power Crest is supposed to increase the strength of whatever other crest you have equipped, but it doesn't seem to effect either of the crests we have already, so whatever.

Back outside.

A new staff for Lem! Don't get too excited and equip it right away, since her current Fire Staff lets you take advantage of the local critters' weakness, but it'll be handy soon enough.

Now that the looting's done, let's go find the next cave entrance.

:argh:

Man, I hate this place. Well, let's give the left one a shot.

Haha! gently caress you, monkeys!

One dead Razor Wolf later, Hiro gets a new spell. Cross-Boomerang is basically the same as the regular version, but he throws two boomerangs at the target instead of one. It's not the flashiest, but you can never have too many boomerangs.

The Barrier Ring is also quite nice. It boosts both Physical and Magical Defense. Naturally, we give it to our squishy mage.

Good things happen in the fight where I decide to try out Cross-Boomerang.

Jean gets a new armor upgrade!

And Ronfar gets bigger! That's what level ups mean, right? Increase in physical size? Pretty sure that's how it works.

The Phoenix Ring is hidden away down in this nook. It doesn't revive poo poo, but it does decrease the damage the wearer takes from Water and Wind. Guess what elements the boss of snow town is gonna use.

Back outside.

Yes, I did have to circle around and find some stairs just to get to a door directly above the one I arrived through. No enemies or treasure, just snow.

Man, I know Parasite Eve set a pretty high standard for neat dungeons, but this poo poo is just shameful. You can do better than this, Lunar 2 :colbert:

No cave this time. We just come out in a completely different area of the mountain.

ROAR

: "Thanks, Captain Obvious."

: "Bitch, you asked!"

: "Whatever, Jean's right."

: "It is always time for jokes, sassy-pants."

Suddenly, the whole screen begins to shake. Just uh...trust me on that.

: "Ruby, calm down! We need to keep our eyes open so we can spot--"

: "Oh crud."

: "gently caress MY LIIIIIIIIIIIFE--!"

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

The remake is shorter than I remember.

Oh, if we wanna talk dungeons, the original's version of this has chutes instead of frozen doors, and I'm pretty sure the original version is bigger, but other than they're pretty similar.

Also, they made the outdoor snowy parts a little less bright. That's probably for the best; it was kind hard to look at in the original.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 18, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Crowetron posted:

And sometimes you fight dragons and troll things. Holy crap, I'm playing 32-bit Skyrim.

Anyway, the Wyburns are no big deal, since they don't hit that hard and can only target one person at a time. Barbarians can pack a wallop, but they're exactly as fast as they look, so you have plenty of time to deal with them before you need to worry about it.

Given that this version of Lunar 2 came out in North America about 2 years after the Final Fantasy Anthology, I can't help but wonder if that name is a poke at the latter's infamous translation of "wyvern". :allears:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Given that this version of Lunar 2 came out in North America about 2 years after the Final Fantasy Anthology, I can't help but wonder if that name is a poke at the latter's infamous translation of "wyvern". :allears:

They're called Wyburn in the original games, too. Working Designs just really likes punny monster names. (A bush enemy called Ambush... really guys?!)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Y burn the wyburn?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

They're called Wyburn in the original games, too. Working Designs just really likes punny monster names. (A bush enemy called Ambush... really guys?!)

Snail monsters called Escargos. :3:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Camel Pimp posted:

Also, they made the outdoor snowy parts a little less bright. That's probably for the best; it was kind hard to look at in the original.

I'd argue that the piss awful 8-bit snow effect is even more of an eyesore. I remember being really surprised at how unbelievably cheap that looked (and it looks even worse when it's not in motion, christ).

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh God. It's harnessed the power of cutscenes! Flee while you can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Some guy from Gamefaqs posted:

POWER CREST
Description: If equipped with another crest, it can enhance its abilities.
Stats: No adjustments.
Abilities: Special. Combine the crest with status crests (i.e. Seal,
Snake) and your character's weapon can inflict that status
change. Combine the crest with magical crests (i.e. Wind,
Earth) to increase that element's damage.

That actually seems moderately useful! If there's a paralysis crest or a sleep crest (I'm positive the latter exists) then you could be loving mean with Jean or Hiro.

• Locked thread