Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How much of a slacker are these Premiers that they can't get Vane to float? Maybe they should have asked Ramus' family to help them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How much of a slacker are these Premiers that they can't get Vane to float? Maybe they should have asked Ramus' family to help them out.

The members of the Ramus clan have an average weight of 416 lbs. Asking them for help in going AGAINST the forces of gravity sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ronfar's really the only character with a burned portrait? You'd think with all the ancient ruins he sticks his face in Hiro would qualify.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty amped to see this back. Good on you, Crowetron.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Likewise. I did actually find my old copy of the game, but only disc two. Counting on you to keep the nostalgia train rolling here.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Oh, a note re: the Thunder Crest.

If you give it to Hiro, :science: happens and he can use Wind/Lightning combination magic! It's brutally powerful, if I remember correctly, so give it a try sometime!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Give it and an earth crest to someone for some real fun combination magic

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I have had this game for almost a decade and I had no idea about combination magic :psyduck:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Crowetron posted:

I have had this game for almost a decade and I had no idea about combination magic :psyduck:

Give. Everyone. Crests. You will find so many spells.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crowetron posted:

This is what happens when you just give every crest to Lemina.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Give everyone 2 different crests. Pretty sure every crest has combos with every other crest.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Rusty Dagger and Magic Eye Crest. Not too useful, but not well known.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Rusty Dagger and Magic Eye Crest. Not too useful, but not well known.

I found out about that last run. I like giving that combination to Ronfar so he can do more than heal during boss fights.

And I never knew that giving Hiro the Thunder Crest gives him Wind/Thunder combination magic (mostly because it almost always went straight to Jean, who's fast, got a decent Wisdom score for a fighter, and appreciates having magic for physical-resistant enemies). I always thought you needed a Wind Crest to go with the Thunder one for that. Neat!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is a combo where you steadily increase in attack every turn. It is utterly obsolete compared to Warrior since it still follows the degradation rule.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
This "there are combinations?" talk reminds me of when I played Golden Sun and was utterly baffled to find out that mixing Djinns gives people other classes with other magic. Though in Golden Sun, it's incredibly annoying for two reasons: 1) You NEED it for like one or two things because it's the only way to get Growth magic to make a plant ladder somewhere, but the game never tells you, and 2) it's totally useless otherwise, afair.

By the way, I've been following this LP for a while now on and off, and it's always a blast to read both for the game's own writing and your added stuff which fits perfectly. I'm very happy to have seen it continue!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Simply Simon posted:

This "there are combinations?" talk reminds me of when I played Golden Sun and was utterly baffled to find out that mixing Djinns gives people other classes with other magic. Though in Golden Sun, it's incredibly annoying for two reasons: 1) You NEED it for like one or two things because it's the only way to get Growth magic to make a plant ladder somewhere, but the game never tells you, and 2) it's totally useless otherwise, afair.

To be fair, there are some combinations that result in some pretty sick characters with high stats and great Psynergy skills. Unfortunately, mixing Djinn will almost always result in at least one gimped character. I never did find any combinations that gave a good unique character without also creating one or two people that were completely useless. So I usually just stick to giving everyone Djinn from their own element for simplicity's sake.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 41: I Promise, This Is The Last Time

What adventure awaits us in today's update? Will it be a deadly dungeon loaded with spike traps, snakemen, and a ending in a brutal boss battle between the buttresses?!

Haha, nah, it's another crappy forest.

There's our destination just around the corner: Sluice Forest.

Music ~ Dangerous Ground

Sluice Forest is a forest that borders the sluice of a nearby dam (which we never see). It is exceptionally boring but mercifully short.

The Giga Ants can slow you down a bit, since they are resistant to magic and thus take more than one stern glance from Lemina to take down. They can dish out some okay damage, but Hiro and Jean should have no problem squishing them.

Flytrappers can inflict poison or sleep or some poo poo I dunno. They spent most of their time burning at Lemina's feet.

Killer Wasps also inflict some status effect, Paralysis probably, but they lack the Ants' magic resistance, so...

:smugwizard:

It's worth noting that Lucia is now a very active member of the party. She'll throw out attack spells and AoEs with surprising regularity, and will almost always retaliate to direct damage with some form of sorcerous ruin. She still only casts buffs on Hiro, though...

The best thing about the Sluice Forest is the goodies. The Vigor Ring grants immunity to Paralysis, which is one of the worst status effects in every game it appears in. This goes straight to Ronfar so he can keep healin' all day, erry day

Always nice to find one of these, too.

The Warrior's Crest gives the wearer a 10 point stat boost to their physical attack at the cost of 5 magic attack. Usually, I toss this Hiro's way to capitalize on his natural penchant for stabbing. But Ronnie's been spending most random battles just hanging around and watching everyone else kill stuff, so I give it to him for a bit.

And while this wasn't in a chest, it's still free stuff!

Music - The Blue Spire

The music change and Goddess Statue tell us that the dungeon is over already! Surely only good and interesting things will happen now, right?

Right?!

: "Wait, why don't we just swim across? There's no current and it's only like 15 feet."

: "Swim across a river? In the woods?? What are we, hillbilly urchins? C'mon, son."

: "Besides, have you seen this dress I'm wearing? If I tried to swim in this thing, it would just dissolve like tissue paper!"

: "Actually, I change my vote."

: "I know this great one about a mysterious serpent that--"

: "If this ends up being a dick joke, I swear on the Blue Star I will break both your legs."

: "..."

: "So, who else has a story?"

Y'know...we could leave her here. She can breathe fire, she'll be fine in her new life alone in the woods. Far, far away from the narrative.

You sentimental fools, we could've been free!

: "What? There are still two discs we haven't even gotten to yet."

: "Shut up, kid, I'm trying to have a moment here."

: "We broke into a military vessel, visited a haunted mansion, rode a highly dangerous rocket, met the greatest monster in Lunar history..."

: "Fought a Yeti."

: "Oh poo poo, we DID fight a Yeti! Our lives kinda rule, you guys."

: "Now I'm running AFTER them!"

: "For vengeance!"

: "Obviously, I could never date a peasant, but if my standards were like, way lower, you might even have a shot!"

: "She's been so much more outgoing since she shed her chitinous black tail!"

: "The whatnow?"

: "Wait, go back to that thing you said about a tail?"

: "Don't sweat it, kiddo. I mean, who even knows what ladies do in the bathroom for so long, am I right?"

: "...Wha--"

And we fade to black.

But in the middle of the night, Hiro is roused by the faint sound of splashing.

Gee, I fuckin' wonder :rolleyes: Whatever, before we deal with all that, let's listen in on the dazed mumblings of our sleeping friends!

And when she woke up, her pillow was gone! :haw:

:stare:

124 is such a weird number. How am I supposed to make a joke about that?

Jean's dreamin' about defeating Ridley :3:

Alright, let's go jump right into this anime

Just click this

: "Whoop, whoop, whoop!"

Okay, I have some stuff to say here, so buckle up. Remember the Parasite Eve 2 LP? That game also had a fan service scene, but one that actually positively added to the tone of the game and characterization of the protagonist. Aya being naked actually served a narrative purpose there, and I think I did an alright job of explaining it back then.

This? This is not Parasite Eve 2. It's easy to look at this scene and come away thinking, 'Oh, I guess they're demonstrating how much more human Lucia is now'. Which they are, but it's completely unnecessary. Ever since our encounter with the Yeti, Lucia's personal growth has been shown in subtle but noticeable ways. Her dialogue has been gradually less robotic, she's getting capable of not mentioning Zophar every ten minutes, and the game has been using more expressive portraits for her dialogue. They even integrated her character growth into the game-play, by altering her AI slightly after every major event. Even modern games still have HUGE trouble integrating game-play and narrative, but all it takes is a few random battles to tell you that something in Lucia is changing. The game shows us her change far more than in tells us.

And then this scene comes along and throws out all that good stuff for more naked anime girls. I like this game, I really do, but this part always sticks out to me. It's kinda annoying when a narrative nudges you with its elbow and goes "Hey, did you notice that thing we were doing? Let me reiterate what you already know because we're really clever", but doing it with a dash of cheap nudity is just adding insult to injury here.

TL;DR: I get mad when my anime games have anime in them

Music ~ Taben's Peak

Anyway, it's morning now.

: :crossarms:

: "Y'know, if it was any other two people in all the world, I'd guess they were bangin'. But it's Hiro and Lucia, so...I'm gonna guess they accidentally touched hands for like 2 seconds."

: "My bet is they woke up with their butts not-quite but almost touching."

Ronnie returns, just a moment too late to make a far grosser joke.

Azado! We're coming up on some good stuff, folks!

: "And then it's just a sweet sunset sail from Azado to the Holy City of Pentagulia!"

Cats: hate water, love boats

I'm pretty hard on this area, but that is some nice sprite work on the reservoir.

that kinda looks like some sorta door...

Oh well!

There it is, the port town of Azado. Hey, who's tragic back-story have we not addressed in a while? Hmmm. Maybe we'll find out next time!

BONUS:

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I gotta agree with your little tangent there about the fanservice scene, and I'm something of an apologist for that stuff because I'm a twisted little man. Fanservice for the sake of fanservice is cheap and annoying, especially when you try and justify it with a reason you've already done a bang up job of portraying. Maybe it's because of the MUCH more tasteful bromides? I seem to recall Silver Star having pretty much outright cheesecake for those, and I think they have a quota to meet or corporate will can them.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

You know, I just noticed that they have individual portraits for the group in their blankets. Those are never used again as far as I remember. Just something :3: to think about.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've long since accepted that fanservice getting in the way of story is the price I have to pay to play/read/watch cool poo poo from Japan, and I've been much happier ever since I stopped bitching about it. Relax and just enjoy yourself.

...not in THAT way. Pervert.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

On the other hand, Lucia was naked when she first showed up, and the last time there was a bath involved, she wasn't all that shy about disrobing. So while it's still not necessary, I don't think it's quite as gratuitous or pointless as you say.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

On the other hand, Lucia was naked when she first showed up, and the last time there was a bath involved, she wasn't all that shy about disrobing. So while it's still not necessary, I don't think it's quite as gratuitous or pointless as you say.

The other bath scene was actually added to this version of the game, which is kinda exacerbates the issue. And you can argue that they're going for an Adam and Eve thing with Lucia becoming more human by learning modesty, but I still don't find "Lucia learns to cover her boobies" is as compelling a character arc as "Lucia learns to interact and grows as a person". Really, it's the delivery that falls flat for me.

Bufuman posted:

I've long since accepted that fanservice getting in the way of story is the price I have to pay to play/read/watch cool poo poo from Japan, and I've been much happier ever since I stopped bitching about it. Relax and just enjoy yourself.

But getting mad about video games is my favorite hobby :(

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ultrafilter posted:

Why is she naked in the first place? If your argument is "This thing can't be bad, because it already happened twice more!" that's not a good argument.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I heard the devs figured the fanbase being a decade older would be able to handle naked girls, as seen in the bromides, compared to SSSC.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Bravo posted:

Why is she naked in the first place? If your argument is "This thing can't be bad, because it already happened twice more!" that's not a good argument.

The point is that she wasn't at all modest or embarrassed before. It's yet another indicator that she's starting to act differently. I'm not defending it--the other bits that Crowetron mentioned get the point across just fine--but I read it a little differently than everyone else seems to.

(And I had forgotten that the other bath scene was new, which does change the way this one works. Oh well.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Crowetron posted:

I get mad when my anime games have anime in them

It's always the worst part.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Arguably, this is a little better than the similar fan service bath scene she gets in the original, back in Taben's Peak, because at least here they're trying to tie it into her characterization. But in the original the Taben's Peak scene was the only bath scene in the game and it was mercifully brief. Dumb, but you forget about it so you can't get that mad.

Yeah, the entire Sluice Forest is not the original. None of it. Actually, you can't even get into the Sluice Forest unless you're finished with Vane, correct? That's not true in the original; you can go to Azado before finishing with Vane, there's just no point.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, the dungeon that opens up here later? Also not in the original.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 21, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of these little areas exist mostly to adjust the level curve, since you don't have encounters on the world map in this version.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 21, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Well, it's not really adjusting level curve; the level curve is completely different between the two games and it's unlikely you were going to gain much in the way of levels between Vane and Azado in the original. It's more trying to compensate for the challenge of overworld encounters.

...that's my best guess, anyway. Really, I don't know why they added these dungeons. L:SSSC did that too. (My least favorite is that stupid forest you need to pass to get to Meryod. Which you have to cross twice.)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Camel Pimp posted:

...that's my best guess, anyway. Really, I don't know why they added these dungeons. L:SSSC did that too. (My least favorite is that stupid forest you need to pass to get to Meryod. Which you have to cross twice.)

gently caress that place in the ear. First group dungeon with new enemies when you actually have your full party and WD decides to make two of them dead weight? Whose idea was that?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like the spritework on the reservoir, and the blanket portraits.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

gently caress that place in the ear. First group dungeon with new enemies when you actually have your full party and WD decides to make two of them dead weight? Whose idea was that?

Not WD, Game Arts. WD just localized.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Bath scenes in anime-esque media have always been really bad. At least if the rest is good you can ignore it and move on.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I don't really mind nudity on principle, and as those things go, the game hasn't been bad about the way it's used. As unashamedly anime as all gently caress as this game is, it took the opportunity to make a bit of character development out of the times it came up instead of just having it be fanservice for its own sake, which is still better than what like 99% of other JRPGs would do.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The other thing is that Lucia becoming more human doesn't mean she has to become an extreme prude. I've half expect her to be just as dopey as before, except now she's more friendly towards Hiro and the thing is played as Ronfar getting another sneak peek and the girls beat them up for being perverts, which while just as dumb, doesn't rely on any half-hearted excuse for character development.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Goons learned about objectification and now they're far too mature to not freak out and start squealin when they see a rear end cheek

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

Goons learned about objectification and now they're far too mature to not freak out and start squealin when they see a rear end cheek

Sorry for being older than the bare minimum to be on this website.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Mehuyael posted:

Sorry for being older than the bare minimum to be on this website.

I just wish for once we could just say "well that was dumb" when we see dumb fanservice. Instead of going on and on about it, then break down the issue and ask ourselves if there's some character development related to the nudity that justifies it, come up with a dozen examples of other works where nudity was justified, conclude anime is not like that and is dumb.

We already know.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's dumb and needless but as far as dumb and needless fanservice goes it could have been way worse. The scene's short and it's not like you even actually really see anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Lucia has been naked in as many FMVs as she's been clothed at this point and I'm just tired of that particular "running gag" by now. Sorry if that makes me "goony" or whatever.

• Locked thread