Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well, the direct modern analogue for WD is probably XSEED. They don't take the same liberties as WD did, probably to their benefit, but that same level of putting personality in the margins where nothing was is definitely there. The go-to example there would be the treasure chests in Trails in the Sky, which would give you a new message if you examined the chest after you took the treasure. While there were some repeats within dungeons, by and large most chests had a new bit of dialog taunting your or lamenting their fate. Empty treasure chests, which most players wouldn't even look at, had a series of jokes for looking at them again. Because they could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Vic Ireland has a new company, Gaijinworks, that's kind of a successor to Working Designs.

He's focused mostly on releasing the Class of Heroes series (ugh), but has some other PSP game in the works, which is strongly rumored to be either Far East of Eden: The Fourth Apocalypse or one of the Summon Night games. So there is some future for silly JRPGs with irreverent translations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Demon fire that kills people, but it feels like Althena's power? Lucia, you're just trying to pretend you're relevant right now, aren't you?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

One need only look to the writing in games like FFXIII-2 to be disavowed of this notion. :sigh: RIP Working Designs.

Edit: Oh I didn't see the WD in there. But a company like Working Designs really couldn't exist in a translation climate like this one, where even a polarizing figure like Alex O. Smith is far and away better than most of the boring or actively awful tripe we get in JRPGs.
Honestly, most JRPGs these days have pretty solid translations. Tales of Graces's plot is pretty bad, but the translation is actually really good - Pascal is a character that flows super naturally when she could have come across really awkward.

Also, Fire Emblem: Awakening

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

Honestly, most JRPGs these days have pretty solid translations. Tales of Graces's plot is pretty bad, but the translation is actually really good - Pascal is a character that flows super naturally when she could have come across really awkward.

Graces also had pretty great voice acting. I mean even with the translation Pascal could have been a really grating character if the VA didn't know exactly what tone to play her.

I wonder what kind of voice direction they had. A lot of the times especially with older games the problem seems to be they put zero effort into helping the performances and just sit the actors in a boot where they mechanically read out the lines with minimal context.

I recall Koudelka was way ahead of its time with that, probably because they figured out it helps a lot if the actors get to act out the scenes they are a voicing, even if mo-cap isn't needed.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

I will agree that 8-4 (who translated both of your examples) do really good work, pretty exemplary in the field, but for every 8-4 or XSEED release (and even they can be hit-or-miss) there is something actively offensive like Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy Duodecim or Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, and a flood of things that are totally uninspiring like most everything Nippon Ichi releases. Square Enix is definitely the biggest offender, but it's pretty rare that translation is anything other than "serviceable;" cases as incredible as Fire Emblem: Awakening are rare as hell.

Actually related to this game, though, I absolutely don't remember half of the stuff that's happening. :psyduck: I definitely beat this game as a kid, but I have no memory of the last few parts, or really anything between meeting Borgan and actually confronting him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I will agree that 8-4 (who translated both of your examples) do really good work, pretty exemplary in the field, but for every 8-4 or XSEED release (and even they can be hit-or-miss) there is something actively offensive like Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy Duodecim or Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, and a flood of things that are totally uninspiring like most everything Nippon Ichi releases. Square Enix is definitely the biggest offender, but it's pretty rare that translation is anything other than "serviceable;" cases as incredible as Fire Emblem: Awakening are rare as hell.
Literally all the things you listed by name are Square Enix, and Square Enix has a history of being pretty weird about translation. I can't think of anything outside of Square Enix where the translation actually detracted from the game, and I can think of more than a few cases, even outside of 8-4 and XSEED, where I was impressed by specific moments in the translation even if overall it was fairly standard.

Not to mention, iunno, I think a translation being serviceable is more than enough. If a game's a comedy then it can be worth it to try to make a translation goofy and attention-grabbing, but if a game leans more towards the serious side of things then it can be kind of counter-productive to try and make the translation the star of the show, if that makes sense. Obviously translating dialogue naturally and making everything flow and make sense is important no matter what game you're translating for, but shoving in jokes like Working Designs did can work against you in some cases.

poo poo, even Working Designs had moments where they went too far with the wacky jokes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Alundra in particular was kind of a low point for Working Designs, because they wanted to take the goofy Lunar approach, but the tone of the game was totally wrong for it. You'd have characters dying tragic deaths left and right, and oh here's this guy who talks like a surfer dude.

There are even quite a few jokes in the Lunar games themselves that fall painfully flat, which Crowetron has mostly been skipping over. Like Jean teasing the scared boy back at Taben's Peak that he's going to grow up to be an interior decorator. Or the interminably long list of in-jokey haikus on Gwyn's bookshelf.

"How hard can it be to find a sewer? Just stick your nose in the air and follow the smell of poop!" deserved to stay, though. :colbert:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 8, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I skipped the interior decorator joke, not only because it was hacky and gross, but because it clashed with Jean's characterization of being the party's occasionally violent moral compass. The haiku thing I just missed, and now I'm upset about it because I love dumb joke haikus! :negative:

Anyway, update later today.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I thought the haikus actually showed up later?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 43: The Night The Lights Went Out In Azado

One day in Azado is enough for me, this place is freaky. Let's steal a boat.

: "The Chosen are controlling ship traffic between Azado and Pentagulia. They've been more and more militant about it lately. I'm not certain what's up, but please be careful."

: "No problem, old buddy."

hell yeah, stayin' out after curfew

we punk rock as hell right now

Say, that is a pretty big boat.

It's a good thing Hiro's too naive and innocent to get that sick burn you just dropped on him, Lemina.

: "Is this not the Dragonship Destiny?"

: "What? No! The Destiny looked totally different. It's way brighter for one."

: "Yeah...yeah, of course I am. I guess I'm just a little loopy from lack of sleep."

: "Lack of sleep? I thought it was because you were dropped on your head a lot as a kid."

: "Are you making GBS threads ME, Ruby?! Every time! We are loving fugitives! We are doing illegal things! How are you so loving stupid?!"

Music ~ JUSTICE

: "Who is foolish enough to attempt to steal the Dragonship Destiny?"

: "Ugh. Hey Leo, how ya doin."

: "...Seriously?"

: "I work here!"

I can't help but love a game where the most powerful military in the world works off Looney Tunes tactics.

*insert comical fist shaking*

: "I do not have a catchphrase!"

This goes on for a while, but eventually...

Ah yes, Hiro, the cunning trickster.

: "Don't pout, boy. It's unbecoming to be such a sore loser."

Get over there? What do you expect me to do, butt scoot across the deck?

Oh, I can do that. Okay, let's see what our friends have to say before talking to Leo.

Yeah, we kinda hosed up. Sorry, entire planet.

Jean's keeping her eye on the prize: Vengence :black101:

I don't think pulling academic rank is gonna help here.

You may think it's a joke, but Lemina is totally the sort of person to try to sue The Army of God(dess)

Let's ignore the fact that Ronfar's talking way out of character here and instead focus on how awesome a game about Count Leo, Holy Dracula would be.

:stare:

These guys still think Lucia is the Destroyer. So Deliverance Dan here seems to think that a noose and gallows would take care of the Harbinger of the Apocalypse right quick.

: "And to think we just pulled over because Franklin got sea-sick."

: "Thanks again, boss."

Well, we aren't exactly swimming in physical evidence over here

Accusing your accuser isn't exactly a good legal strategy, and generally makes you look more guilty.

Again, we heard a lot of testimony and reports of wrong-doing, but we have no records or evidence or witnesses here to prove it.

Plus, Leo already hates us, so he has literally no reason to believe us.

: "Search the male prisoners first, and be careful. They're liable to try anything to escape."

: "As you command, Lord Leo!"

And yet, despite all that AND the fact that Ronfar has lied directly to his face in the past, Leo is still willing to hear his old friend out. Because White Knight Leo hates the idea of a wrong going un-righted.

Music ~ Tension

Really, you're gonna blame Lucia for that? All her spells are lasers and poo poo. Lemina coulda done that, no problem, but Lucia? Nah, son.

: "The Chosen are causing this firestorm to put the fear of Althena into Azado's citizens. They've told these people that they have to join The Chosen or suffer Althena's wrath."

Dang, Leo

Leo draws his blade, but Hiro blocks his way

Yeah, Balse!

: "And it's because your service in the Corps means everything to you..."

: "Afraid..."

Thought he may be an antagonist to us, Leo is no villain.

: "Your companions will remain here as my prisoners, to ensure your cooperation."

Jean's already sick of this poo poo, you guys

So, we've lost the girls, and thus 2/3rds of our damage output, but we gain Lord Leo :swoon:

Leo comes equipped with a full set of Platinum gear and Dyne's Sword, which is fuckin' crazy to me. Dyne was the previous Dragon Master at the start of Lunar 1, and was basically the coolest dude ever. Then the hero of Lunar 1, Alex, became Dragon Master, he inherited Dyne's Sword, because why wouldn't he?

Despite the fact that Leo is wielding the thousand year old legendary blade of the Dragon Masters, he is NOT the current Dragon Master. Which is odd, but maybe we'll find out more about that later.

He also has all three levels of Earth Magic and three Sword techniques. Functionally, his sword moves are just stronger and flashier versions of Hiro's moves, but it's still cool.

Aw man, we really care what you think, nameless guy.

So, let's try to avoid the magical hellfire as best we can.

I think Jean's saying she's gonna beat the hell out of that dude who doesn't trust us, and I'm okay with that.

Lemina has not reacted to the city burning down, and will continue to ignore it, just like she does with everything that does not effect her directly.

:wiggle:

So, Azado. This place is basically a dungeon now. There are walls of flame blocking various streets that serve as walls.

And there's monsters!

Inferno Ghouls are the only enemy lurking around, but they're huge dicks. They're strong, sturdy, and fast.

And they can hit your whole party with a sea of flame.

If all three Ghouls decide to do that at once, you could be looking at a near party wipe. Let's see if Leo can help us out here.

: "Victory is mine!"

Grizzle Blade basically hits every enemy on screen by flooding the place with ghost swords. Not bad.

Inferno Ghouls give good EXP, but they might as well drop no money at all. Both Hiro and Ronnie gain a level from this one fight. This isn't a bad place to grind, but Jean and Lemina get left out of the EXP bonanza, so don't go overboard.

There's also a Goddess Statue right here, and enemies don't respawn while you're on screen. Unless you're vastly over leveled, it's a good idea to take advantage of the free healing after every fight or so.

We can't go in any houses, so we just need to navigate the burning streets to reach Balse's place.

I'm sure he's fine. We'll just circle around and...

oh

: "This is the work...of those...wretched bards..."

: "Ronfar! Oh Ronfar, LOOK! My father is..."

: "Really, Ronfar? Dick jokes? This is hardly the time."

: "It's like a verbal tic, I can't help it. Sorry. Sorry, Porom."

ZAP

You snitched?! Oh, you little motherfucker...

: "I told them The Destroyer was in our house. I asked them to save Ronfar and Father from The Destroyer. ...But right after that, the flames on Althena's hand..."

this is pretty heavy for a game that spent an entire town making fat jokes about a major character

: "Father!!"

: "You're a good boy. And Althena knows that. This unfortunate happening must have been some kind of mistake."

: "Oh, but Father...[sniff]..."

Hell yeah! Let's go bust down the doors to the shrine and find out what those fuckers are doing!

Next Time:

:getin:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Next time: Subtle symbolic images! Wait, no.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Maybe I should've kept that in my pocket until next update, but that image is legit the funniest thing in the game to me.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Alright! Free reign to kick their faces in! Inverted Pentagrams are like the next thing to swastikas for that!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, :swoon:Lord Leo:swoon:, how awesomely misguided you are.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Crowetron posted:

Maybe I should've kept that in my pocket until next update, but that image is legit the funniest thing in the game to me.

no, it's amazing. I laughed when you put that in there.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It looks like Hiro and co are going to a church of Satan of sacrifice Ruby for the greater good. Sorry Ruby, but the dark lord demands a sacrifice of a flying cat sidekick to keep his love for his followers going. You'll never be forgotten for your brave deed, Ruby. :patriot:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Leo's gonna lay the smackdown on these Chosen candy asses, if you smell what the White Knight is cooking.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
If you can change Leo's equipment right now or give him a crest at least, throw him a Thunder crest. You will not be disappointed. :getin:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh god the whole "wait this is the Destiny" is stupider every time. (And as I've alluded to before, not the original.) So. Stupid.

Also, one thing that Crowetron hasn't gone into his Leo's stats. He's at a higher level so it's not like you can directly compare them. Why do I bring it up then? In the original, Leo has the exact same stats as Hiro. Not "similar," exactly the same. He's the same level as Hiro, too. Also, he doesn't have the ballin' equipment; just a nice sword, and otherwise his equipment is the same or even slightly worse than Hiro.

Actually, it's funny, because Hiro in the original has really low HP and levels very slowly until around Vane or Azado or so (when you get Lemina it's quite likely he'll have less HP.) I'm not sure if Leo joins at your level or if that was a coincidence in my LP, but I think it's the former. So if Hiro is particularly low-leveled when you get here, Leo is also going to be weak. So... one of the Four Heroes? Exactly as strong as some rag-tag teenager.

(Oh, and in the original you team up with Leo after you've climbed the tower, and Ronfar isn't with you. It's just you and Leo.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In this version he's slightly tankier but about Ronfar speed iirc.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jean and Lemina actually get re-averaged levels after this section. I played through this part a week or so ago and was worried about the same thing because I was determined to fight every single fight in the game.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

quote:

: "I do not have a catchphrase!"

Outstanding. :allears:

I seriously love the characterization of Lucia here. She's just so utterly clueless.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You'd think that after verifying the truth of things Leo might decide to liberate the non-Destroyer members of the party for backup?

Then again, he's been one-shotting entire crowds of dudes and hasn't exactly been short on confidence this game...

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

In this version he's slightly tankier but about Ronfar speed iirc.

Good physcial stats but poor magic and speed. He's essentially this game's Kyle, but with even more moves. Granted, Kyle still did pretty well with only 4 attacks (one of which was useless because it was one of them "attack anything surrounding you WITHOUT moving to the nearest enemy" and thus was likely to whiff because of his crap speed), but he really could've used a screen-clearer like Leo's got. Plus Leo's ultimate sword attack heals him for a not-insignificant percentage of the damage he deals, making him even MORE of a freaking tank.

Also, if you'll recall, Inferno Ghouls were the monsters chasing Hiro and Ruby through the ruins in the game's introductory chase scene. Probably a good thing they decided running was the smart move.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 9, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Galick posted:

If you can change Leo's equipment right now or give him a crest at least, throw him a Thunder crest. You will not be disappointed. :getin:

You can't alter Leo's gear in any way here. I try to jack his sword every time with no luck.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Jean and Lemina actually get re-averaged levels after this section. I played through this part a week or so ago and was worried about the same thing because I was determined to fight every single fight in the game.

I actually never bothered to check. That's a nice little mercy Game Art added in.

Camel Pimp posted:

Old school Leo is real bad

At least Leo eventually got the stat respect he deserves. The original Lunar 2 sounds like it can be a real jerk when it wants to.

Glazius posted:

You'd think that after verifying the truth of things Leo might decide to liberate the non-Destroyer members of the party for backup?

Then again, he's been one-shotting entire crowds of dudes and hasn't exactly been short on confidence this game...

That, but mostly Jean was looking really mad when they left and Leo doesn't want to admit she scares the hell out of him.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

That, but mostly Jean was looking really mad when they left and Leo doesn't want to admit she scares the hell out of him.

Not just Jean. Leo suffers from gynophobia.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

You can't alter Leo's gear in any way here. I try to jack his sword every time with no luck.

You can't steal Leo's equipment?! All right, that confirms it: remake inferior.

Crowetron posted:

At least Leo eventually got the stat respect he deserves. The original Lunar 2 sounds like it can be a real jerk when it wants to.

Well, honestly, if you're playing normally by that point Hiro's caught up to everyone else so Leo's not really bad exactly, but it's still weird to me, you know? Like he's really an after-thought.

Also, I was pretty sure in this version everyone gets the experience regardless of whether or not they're in the party or the time (or even if they're knocked at the end of combat.) The original divides EXP among living party members, but I was drat sure the remake didn't.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I did say this section is the first place to seriously grind and I meant it.:arghfist::coffee:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 44: Black Sabbath

Now that we've thoroughly established that the Chosen are behind this, let's go bust some heads at the Sanctuary

Naturally, nothing over here in on fire.

: "You can't possibly be playing dumb now. The raging inferno is barely twenty feet away from us!"

: "You're even facing it, dude, c'mon!"

: "Lord Leo, do you honestly think--"

None can stand in the way of JUSTICE!

: "Quickly now! Inside."

: "Let's get this over with."

this is about where the game assumes you still haven't figured out the Chosen are evil, so they ramp their game up

The Sanctuary is largely deserted now.

If there's no one here, how are they charging us to pray in front of a statue?

Well, the door guard has hosed off, so let's see what these creepy clergymen are hiding.

...pfffFTAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOOKIT 'EM! AHAHAHAHA!

Oh jeeze. Okay, maybe it's just me, but this is legit my favorite part of the whole game. So, they have heavily established that the Chosen are not good dudes. They're oppressive, manipulative, murderers. But maybe, just maybe, you didn't get that yet, so they have you roll up in their club house and catch them straight up chanting around an inverted pentagram. It's so blunt and heavy-handed that I can't interpret it as a dramatic reveal, only as punchline.

The best part is, it's such a short scene preceding a bunch of really BIG PLOT, that I always forget about it when I come back to the game after a while. I'm like "Oh, man, Pentagulia's coming up, better knock out this boss real quick" and then BAM!

Hail Satan

I know, right?

It's Maiden, dude :rock:

Translation: "I can't deal with this wild-rear end poo poo right now, guys"

I dunno, guys. I've heard of some dudes trying to defeat the Metal before. It didn't go so well for them.

I love these goofballs :allears:

You didn't think they were gonna show us that huge statue and the NOT make us climb it, did you?

So here's the proper dungeon of Azado, the Statue of Althena. I forgot to note down what song they play here, probably Conquering the Cave again, so just put on some Dio or something.

Sadly, we are going to have to go up at loop around to get at the treasures over there in the other foot.

Honestly the interior here is pretty neat.

It's pretty easy to tell roughly where you are inside this joint at a glance.

New baddies hanging around, too! The Dieclops is your standard big dude, and I think he can shoot an eye laser or something. Doesn't matter, he goes down like a chump if you turn both Hiro and Leo on him.

The Flight Knights, on the other hand, are a pain. They can dish out a lot of hurt if they decide to focus on one guy, and they're fast as hell. To top it off, they're covered in armor, so it takes some doing to down one. They don't have any special attacks or status effects, just numbers stacked in such a way to make them a chore.

There's also these mage-looking dudes called...

Anyway, Electro Eyes can be a real resource drainer. Unless you can take them down in one turn, their opening move will always be a screen-wide zap that hits your whole party. I guess you could go back down and heal up at the Sanctuary to conserve items, but 100 silver is 100 silver, dude. C'mon.

Here we are in Althena's...crotch, I guess. This is where we can loop around and head back for the loot in the left foot.

This is also where I discover the Flight Knights' weakness to Wind magic.

:smugwizard:

Ronnie learns a new spell. Recovery Coin has a chance (50%?) to revive every KO'd ally on the field. Not really worth it, since we have more reliable revival abilities already, but if things go real bad, real fast, it might just save your rear end.

Hiro also gains a new spell. Batallion Sword is basically what would happen if you built some sort of JRPG hero firing rail gun. He shots through enemies in a straight line and wrecks their poo poo. The area of effect is just wide enough to allow you to wipe out an entire encounter if they're positioned correctly.

Like these chumps.

Okay, so it was too fast for screen caps, but those results don't lie! :flashfap:

Thanks to a little editing, the trip down to the treasure room takes no time at all!

The Healing Ring is great. It heals a small percentage of the wearer's HP at the end of each turn. It's not a lot, but it can be enough to keep someone out of the danger zone while Ronfar heals someone else. I usually give it to Hiro, since he's the tank.

The Healing Crest is great. It makes the wearer absorb some enemy HP every time they hit it. It doesn't work with staves, so Lemina can't use it at all, but multi-hit characters like Hiro and Jean can turn themselves into nasty little Draculas with it.

Back up to the action.

There's a Healing Nut in the chest over there, but otherwise, Althena's torso is boring.

Ooo, treasure

This is a very strange moment for Hiro and his teenage hormones.

Let's get out of here before he develops any weird fetishes.

Sounds easy enough.

Oh. Huh.

: "D...did that flame just take the shape of..."

: "Leo, step back! I think it's alive!"

Music ~ Boss Theme

So now we're fighting a Satanic firebird while standing on the corrupted statue of an absent god. This game got really metal, really fast!

The most important thing to do at the start of this fight is split your party up. Because standing like this?

Bad idea. Flame Fang loves AoE attacks, so you need to trick him into focusing on one target to take the pressure off Ronfar. My strategy is to put Hiro right in front of him while Ronnie and Leo go to be bottom and top corners of the back of the screen. Special attacks don't require you to be anywhere near the target, and this fight is just a big damage race, so don't be stingy with your MP.

Of course, don't think his single target attacks are a nonissue. If you're not careful...

poo poo gets rough. I thought I was screwed here, but I burned an Angel Tear to get Hiro up and kept going.

So, the strategy for this fight is simple, on paper. Just keep tossing out Poe Swords and Flash Blades with Hiro and Leo while Ronnie heals the guy upfront forever. In practice, it's really tense, because your healing will always be just barely ahead of the boss's damage output.

And sometimes will cover the screen with burning feathers to make your life even harder. If you were able to get this far, than Hiro and Leo should have enough MP to see you through, but if Ronfar needs a fill up, then don't be afraid to use a Star Light. Ronnie's spells are far more important here than anything else.

It was a long fight, and I switched Hiro and Leo around once Leo ran out of MP, but eventually...

Get thee behind me, Satan :frogc00l:

And Leo gets a stronger spell just in time to leave the party!

We did it. We killed the Metal

:smith:

Well, there's some light damage, but otherwise, we saved the day!

Oh. Okay, then.

Let's go then.

I left the guys in here alive to demonstrate that the enemies disappear when you beat the boss. And yes, we have to walk all the way back down.

Back at it again at the Satan Pit.

:devil:

Yes, but first...

Nice

Balse and boy have gone back inside and we can't check up on them. Nowhere to go but the Destiny.

That's a pretty reasonable reaction to "Hey man, can you believe your whole life is a lie? LMAO"

Music ~ Tension

The last of the Four Generals appears in a flash of fire.

Mauri has the best expressions

Oh poo poo

: "Phew. For a second there, I thought I was gonna die on a gaudy boat in this hick town."

: "Aw, frig."

: "Oh, my...you're a heathen, too, aren't you? I suppose we should postpone our chat! Oh, ho, ho!"

: "Why are you acting this way, Mauri? Why are you being so...so drat EVIL?"

: "Have you tried it, darling? It is delightful!"

Mauri hesitates, knowing that her brother is a Water-Type.

: "You know the words I speak ring true, sister. Do not force me to follow through."

: "I am escorting Lucia and her friends to Pentagulia, at Althena's behest."

And with that, Red Priestess Mauri is off to love this poo poo somewhere else.

: "It is my hope that you will be able to meet the Goddess. I will provide you with safe passage to Pentagulia."

: "Leo..."

: "We...did it?"

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 18, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why is Leo such a great character?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Gologle posted:

Why is Leo such a great character?

Because Leo is the loving best, get with the program.

Crowetron posted:

Let's get out of here before he develops any weird fetishes.

Crowetron this is the world of Lunar, this fate is inevitable. After all:

Mazed posted:

The real Lunar is a moon planet filled with sexual deviant NPCs and flying cats who talk poo poo about everything and everyone.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Actually, Revival Coin is really loving good, because it's either a full god drat party revive or a full party heal. You can't really lose. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A drat strong full party heal, at that. Probably more than anyone has max hp right now.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crowetron posted:

So here's the proper dungeon of Azado, the Statue of Althena. I forgot to note down what song they play here, probably Conquering the Cave again, so just put on some Dio or something.

There's only one choice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5yR5XhCIeg

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

I think this is a better choice if you don't mind it being the wrong console generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-blI7tqgx80

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clearly this is more appropriate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwcS5e0OYQM

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Excuse me, but floor-based pentagrams are involved, so it must be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnn47V09Q2M

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Leo is the best character for reasons you shall see shortly.

You'll ALL see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can't mention metal and videogames without mentioning Final Fantasy Mystic Quest :rock:

• Locked thread