Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... who was the master of those pentagram guys? The evil phoenix? Mauri?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The phoenix was just the embodied flam the pentagram dudes were summoning. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the leader of the pentagram dudes was also Mauri's boss and the boss of whatever-his-name-is-he's-fat and etc. because everything that goes wrong in a JRPG can be directly attributed to one person. For bonus points, he'll appear out of nowhere when we think we've defeated the nominal boss.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The phoenix was just the embodied flam the pentagram dudes were summoning.

Hmpf. Rank amateur.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I knew planting the classic metal seed would bore fruit :allears:

I didn't know about Revival Coin's full heal. I really need to experiment with Ronfar's spells more.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The flash picture of the firebird where Leo was about to cut Lucia's ropes seem out of place.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

The flash picture of the firebird where Leo was about to cut Lucia's ropes seem out of place.

I didn't realize you could still see the boss in there, and I thought I could use it as a dramatic flash of light. Oh well, fixed now.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Hey guys. I meant to have an update up today, but the site where I've been downloading the cutscenes from seems to be having some issues. I found someone on youtube who uploaded them all individually, but they're all 240p, so I'd rather not just link to that. I could record them myself, but I got a little too cocky in my saving habits, so I'd have to play through all of Azado again to catch at least one of them. I'm going to look for another downloadable source, but failing that, I'm gonna have to fight that fire bird again.

Either way, the update's going to be delayed until the weekend. Sorry.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
This is just a stealth request for some ridiculous Lunar fan to show up with their full collection, right?

where's Jenner...

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Psion posted:

This is just a stealth request for some ridiculous Lunar fan to show up with their full collection, right?

where's Jenner...

I don't think I have the hugest collection of random Lunar poo poo. I think that'd be Shiva Indis or Alunissage.

Would this playlist from someone who has all the scenes up on Youtube help, Crowetron? I recall reading you can download videos off Youtube.
Nevermind, these are just the cutscenes from the original Sega CD games. Let me see what I can dig up.

Edit: Awh man, LunarEB.com is dead... I bet it died a long time ago and I just never noticed... :smith:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 23, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
You could just link to someone else's video, I guess. Not ideal.

Out of curiosity, does the emulator you're using have a video record function? ...do many PSX emulators have video record functions? I don't think ePSXe does, right?

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 23, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ha, it worked :c00l:

Jenner posted:

Edit: Awh man, LunarEB.com is dead... I bet it died a long time ago and I just never noticed... :smith:

at least as far as archive.org is concerned it died at the end of 2005. On the other hand, archive.org has at least some viable download links, which is a small miracle:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050426082109/http://www.lunareb.com/
(spoilers and poo poo, obviously)

on the other other hand, they're kinda poo poo quality WMVs.

and on the final hand, Crowetron can't you just copy them straight off the disc? I seem to recall being able to yank a lot of FMVs out of PSX discs once mounted. Sometimes they don't have the sound though :(

I did that for a couple Square games at any rate.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 23, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

My attempts at just ripping the FMVs have been unsuccessful, since Game Arts apparently used some weird encoding or something and none of the .STR converters I've tried can even read them. From what I've read, this is an issue with several PSX games.

The emulator I'm using does not have a video recorder. For the scenes with in-game voice over, I've been using a separate program to record them and then yet another one to edit them. My biggest worry at the moment is that my video fumbling will end up with a worse looking product than the 240p versions on Youtube (the Resident Evil videos in the other thread look fine because I don't do any of the technical stuff on those).

Worse case scenario, I'll just have to Polsy the low quality vids. Not a big deal, but it kinda hosed up my weekend.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You should be able to cap them easily with OBS.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Why has nobody commented on this yet?

Crowetron posted:

Here we are in Althena's...crotch, I guess. This is where we can loop around and head back for the loot in the left foot.

There's a Healing Nut in the chest over there, but otherwise, Althena's torso is boring.

Crowetron posted:

Here we are in Althena's...crotch, I guess. This is where we can loop around and head back for the loot in the left foot.
There's a Healing Nut in the chest over there, but otherwise, Althena's torso is boring.

Crowetron posted:

Althena's...crotch
Healing Nut

:cumpolice:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Captain Bravo posted:

Why has nobody commented on this yet?

:cumpolice:

:aaaaa:

That's almost too clever even for Working Designs.

Actually I never noticed how the rooms were shaped like the body parts until this update. I always wrote it off as a generic temple dungeon. :monocle:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Note: The video links in this update are of slightly lower quality than usual. They are basically placeholders until I have time to fix them.

Episode 45: The Emerald City

Last time, Leo faced some harsh realities and decided to take us to Althena personally to assuage his conscious.

: "And I don't mean my super-lucky dice, either."

: "I never expected to see Mauri again, and I never expected to see her...like that..."

: "I'm sorry, Ronfar. I never really know what to say at times like this..."

: "No, Hiro, I'm sorry."

: "I've already looked around here. Remember? When we did that cool jail break?"

: "Look, just gently caress off for a while, okay? I'm going through some stuff."

: "Okay!"

Let's see what's hoppin' onboard the Destiny.

I'd give you a pass because you didn't see the dudes hailin' ZOPHAR back there, but I'm still gonna laugh at you.

It's been a while since I've played Lunar 1, but I don't remember Althena being an Old Testament kind of God.

Jeez, you get to the end of a disc and everyone starts getting so serious.

I've been saying that the whole game, Jean.

What, exactly, do you actually do again, Ruby?

I do appreciate that Jean does not actually respond to this.

I am suddenly very uncomfortable on this boat.

He's a paladin, she's a warlock, it's like water and oil, my man.

Hey, that's great, but check out this swanky cabin.

Sword-bed, red carpet, TWO dressers??? It's good to be the captain.

Hey man, I'm just glad you're not talking about the purifying embrace of the flame.

That's true. Historically speaking, white foreigners have never done anything destructive to native populations.

There she is.

There she goes.

: "I guess she didn't hear me..."

: "Hiro, don't you think Lucia's been acting a little strange?"

: "She probably has a lot on her mind, Ruby...especially since we're almost at Pentagulia."

Building a fantasy Vatican over not-Satan's prison is a pretty baller move, tbh

Wait, you goofballs? The dudes that couldn't catch a gang of fugitives because you got jammed up in a doorway Three Stooges style? The greatest evil the world has ever known is sealed beneath Pentagulia, but it's cool cuz these chucklefucks sometimes walk around and eyeball it.

It's lucky for this dude that Hiro is such a nice kid. Say that poo poo around Jean and we're gonna have a Mortal Kombat fatality up in this boat.

Back up on the deck.

Hiro decides to duck back inside.

: "Ever since I first time we set foot on the Destiny, I've wanted to stand at the helm. I know it sounds silly, but I want to pretend that I'm in charge of the Destiny!"

: "The thing is, if Leo spots me up there, he'll freak...so I need you to watch out for him."

: "Sure, Hiro. I mean, it's not any weirder than when you pretend to be Dragonmaster Alex. But..."

: "...Hiro, are you hiding something from me?"

Smooth operator

Cutscene ON A BOAT

Lucia is singing quietly to herself while her new bird friends do bird things.

Then Hiro swaggers up looking smug as hell

: "We're almost to Pentagulia, Lucia. After everything we've been through, the end's finally in sight! Once we're there you can meet with the Goddess Althena and your mission will be complete."

: "But, why do you seem so sad? This is what you've wanted all along; you should be happy!"

: "You don't understand anything."

: "Huh?"

: "Hiro, you don't even have a glimpse of what's really at stake here!"

: "But, Lucia..."

: "I came from the Blue Star to find Althena...that's my only mission."

: "Zophar must not be allowed to return to full power; his evil WILL destroy this world. We must find a way to prevent his return...even if it..."

: "No! I came to this world to stop Zophar from reviving, at any cost! Hiro, the only hope for blocking his power at this point is to seek help from Althena; once that is accomplished, my mission here will finally be complete."

: "Then, won't everything be okay?"

: "But...but then..."

: "Lucia..."

: "This is all so confusing... I can't stop thinking about what will happen if... Oh, what's happening to me? Why does my heart feel so heavy, and my mind spin with possibilities? Why can't I accomplish the task I set out to do?"

: "Lucia...I..I...I just don't understand."

: "Oh, Hiro! You can't possibly understand! Just leave me alone!"

And so, she runs off crying.

Another successful interaction with a woman for our protagonist!

: "Did something happen, Hiro?"

: "Lucia..."

: "It's got to be, Ruby!"

Pentagulia

Dang, that place looks awesome! Let's get off this leaky tub and scope it out!

Oh.

Next Time

Nobody sees the Goddess! Not nobody, not no-how!

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 27, 2014

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Crowetron posted:

Hey man, I'm just glad you're talking about the purifying embrace of the flame.

That's "not talking about", yeah?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

One can only hope Hiro's future association with Ronfar will teach him to lie slightly better than that. I mean geez.

also Lucia clearly watched too much anime before coming over to this planet.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Althena's plan for stopping the ZOPHAR problem is just blowing everything and everyone up, isn't it? :v:

Anybody wanna take bets on how long that not-Satan seal lasts?

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 26, 2014

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Didn't Lucia say she can't sense Althena? Smart money's that the seal's long broken, and not-Satan has usurped Althena's place.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Knowing Anime logic, it will be broken by the time the protagonists leave town.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't ZOPHAR free already? He put that curse on Lucia at the start.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dancingbears posted:

Didn't Lucia say she can't sense Althena? Smart money's that the seal's long broken, and not-Satan has usurped Althena's place.
The smart money agrees with this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Look, Lucia, I'm sure that whatever nameless eternal bureaucracy handed you this mission, they'd be fine with you sticking around making kissy faces for a mere mortal lifespan.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

This is whole thread is only now moving on to Disc 2? Holy Jumpin' loving Jesus, no wonder people start but don't finish LP's of these games. You're a better man than I, Crowetron.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I was kind of expecting more of a grand finale to the first disc, but I guess this game came out before that convention was established.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

I was kind of expecting more of a grand finale to the first disc, but I guess this game came out before that convention was established.

The party just reached its end goal, that's something.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

p4vl posted:

This is whole thread is only now moving on to Disc 2? Holy Jumpin' loving Jesus, no wonder people start but don't finish LP's of these games. You're a better man than I, Crowetron.

Part of that is because of a point where he didn't update for like 3 months. Hopefully we run into no more of those, because I really like this LP.

EDIT: Oh, and there was another delay of 2 months sometime later. Croweton, dude, what do you have to say for yourself?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 26, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bufuman posted:

Part of that is because of a point where he didn't update for like 3 months. Hopefully we run into no more of those, because I really like this LP.

EDIT: Oh, and there was another delay of 2 months sometime later. Croweton, dude, what do you have to say for yourself?

That's nothing. Some people have month-long waits between every update, or worse.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I suspect that Lucia's mission involves blood sacrifice, to reboot Althena, and Lucia's having second thoughts.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Bufuman posted:

"Beep boop, I am not LP Bot, and have a life to attend to"?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rainuwastaken posted:

"Beep boop, I am not LP Bot, and have a life to attend to"?

If one has to take a break due to real life events, or even if they simply don't want to update (because sometimes playing the game is no longer fun, especially since posting screenshots and coming up with witty musings isn't as easy as some people make it look), that's perfectly fine. A simple heads up would be appreciated though, so I know it'll simply be a while before another update, rather than wondering if they chose to abandon the thread.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why isn't everyone on the Internet catering to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Crowetron, did you forget the Thieves' Staff back in the Cave of Trials or did I just miss a screenshot? There's a couple great items to steal coming up.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

That's "not talking about", yeah?

Yes, that is correct. It's fixed now, thanks.

Mehuyael posted:

Isn't ZOPHAR free already? He put that curse on Lucia at the start.

ZOPHAR is definitely kicking around in some capacity. But, since the earth hasn't torn asunder and the skies haven't begun bleeding, I'm pretty sure that seal is at least partially intact and still doing something.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Crowetron, did you forget the Thieves' Staff back in the Cave of Trials or did I just miss a screenshot? There's a couple great items to steal coming up.

Uh...there is no Thieves' Staff, you are telling lies, pal.

...poo poo :negative:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
:psyduck: There's stealing in this game?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Crowetron posted:

Uh...there is no Thieves' Staff, you are telling lies, pal.

Lemina stole it off-screen, that's why you can't find it. No problem, continue game.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Galick posted:

:psyduck: There's stealing in this game?

Yep. Though, admittedly, I didn't know about these crazy combination crest spells that Crowetron should show every possible permutation of.

The Thieves' Staff replaces Lemina's basic attack with a non-damage-dealing steal that, as far as I know, never fails unless the enemy has no items. There's a couple enemy-only accessories to acquire in the dungeon after the next one that can really gently caress the turn order a new one (i.e., it can make your entire party act first every battle). It's also a really great way to get Star Lights so you can save up your MP full-heals for the final dungeon.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 46: A Melody From The Past

Music ~ Behind Pentagulia

Pentagulia.

Seat of divine power in Lunar.

Home to the Chosen, the Four Heroes, and even the Goddess herself.

Let's wreck the joint.

Any outcome that doesn't end with us in jail is a good one.

ZORT

: "Ghaleon!"

: "Dracula!"

Video - :smug:.avi

: "Welcome to Pentagula, I'm impressed with your cunning and resolve."

: "Unfortunately, the sands have nearly run from the hourglass."

:eyepop:

: "Well, I suppose 'Dracula' does roughly translate to 'Son of the Dra--"

: "Good General, silence your cabin boy or I will silence him for you."

: "So was it Althena's will that we have come safely to this place... under Ghaleon's watchful eye?"

: "I won't believe it."

:smugdog:

: "For you see, I have been following Lucia's progress at the behest of Althena."

: "Following?!"

ZORT

: "Real show? I'll make a real show out of shoving my foot up your rear end, fucklord."

: "Did you say something, Leo?"

: "What? No, no...just uh, clearing my throat. Anyway..."

Leo is surprised to learn that God is well-informed.

general_leo.png

: "But the only way for things to become clearer is for you to gain an audience with Althena. I shall proceed ahead to secure that."

It's a big building, we'll find it. More importantly, we need to talk with our comrades. Remember, getting Lucia to Althena is Hiro's mission. Our pals have their own journeys to resolve.

: "You be careful, Hiro, okay?"

: "I will, and thanks, Lemina...for everything."

: "You know, I haven't given up on you guys joining the Magic Guild for good. Especially Lucia! The Guild would be sooooo popular if she were to promise to join!"

: "But...Lemina...I won't be..."

Godspeed, o bringer of fire, destroyer of mobs.

: "I kept my part of the bargain to accompany you to Pentagulia."

: "Yeah. Thanks, Ronfar."

: "Well, I'll leave the rest to Leo. In all the time I've known him, I've only seen him do good. He'll take care of you, I'm certain."

: "So, Mauri is here..."

: "Haven't you forgotten a special goodbye for someone, Ronfar?"

Farewell, Ronfar. Who will give voice to my dick jokes now?

I think the interactions between the two of you have proven that Ronnie is largely fire-proof. He'll be fine.

: "Jean? What are you talking about? We're the ones that should be thanking you!"

: "Yes... Thank you, Jean."

: "You really are the best of friends. When all of this is over, come see me with the dancing troupe and we'll talk about old times!"

: "Oooh! That sounds fantastic! I love watching you dance, Jean!"

Oh, kung-fu gyspy. I think I'll miss you most of all.

Elsewhere in the city, Ronfar's blood pressure begins to rise.

: "...But, why am I sad? I will finally get to see Althena, after all we have been through. And once I meet with her, my mission will finally be complete. So why..."

: "Knowing that we will see them again someday makes it a little less sad. Besides, we can't change the course we have chosen now. You came all this way to see Althena. There is no choice now. You must see Althena so ZOPHAR can be stopped!"

We are now free to wander about Pentagulia. It's a pretty big town with plenty of Chosen hanging around to chat to, but we have a lot of plot waiting for us, so we'll just take a look at a few highlights.

So, this Ghaleon thing is like the story of Lucifer played in reverse? At least they acknowledge his old habit of mass murder.

Sounds safe and not ominous.

:wow:

They 'say' history happened and was documented, but was it really?

:drat:

I'm sure you're all a little tired of the "Chosen are horrible people" jokes but just look at this poo poo. It's amazing.

Okay, that's enough loving around. There are four towers on the four corners of the city. We can check up on our buddies by scoping them out.

: "It was constructed in honor of Grand Black Wizard Borgan. We hate it when he comes to Pentagulia to inspect it, however."

Even magic has its limits.

Aside from eavesdropping on Lemina's meeting, this room holds two bits of dialogue I feel are important.

The first is Ruby saying something nice about Lemina. And the other is my favorite nameless NPC in the game.

The henchman desperately grasping for acknowledgement from the hero: my fav hench

: "You're the last waif I would have expected to see in Pentagulia. Geh, heh, heh."

: "Zip it, you overweight toad! I'm tired of listeing to your trite speeches."

: "I have three reasons for being here: the first is to rescue my mother. The second is to make certain that you never set foot in Vane again."

Get that money, girl. Lem seems to be doing just fine. Let's go check in on the other towers.

: "It's the tower governed in strength by Master Lunn, the Blue Fist of Salvation."

: "What has brought you all the way to Pentagulia?"

: "I came here to show you this."

Fun fact: the game actually quietly removed the mask from our inventory when Jean left.

: "What good is this mask alone? Did you get a look at the leader?"

: "No, he covered his face before I could see who he was. However, in his haste to get away, he dropped the mask."

Sounds like they're making progress. I wonder if Ronnie's on fire yet.

: "It is the tower governed by the most beautiful of the Four Heroes, Lady Mauri."

: "There is nothing left to discuss. Our love has grown cold."

: "Don't say that, Mauri. I've been running from my true self. I realized that when last I saw you. It was then that I knew in my heart that I can't live without you. I realized that I need you in my life."

: "But we must find a way to free you from this spell you are toiling under..."

Dang. Well, two outta three ain't bad. We should probably go see Althena now.

Let's head into the Great Shrine.

Outta the way, plebes, important fuckers comin' through

I wonder how long Leo's been waiting there. Did he stop by his office first? Grab a coffee? Did someone forget to refill the coffee in the White Tower again, and now he's just standing there all pissed off about yet another day ruined?

We can get some interesting dialogue is we say no.

Huh. Oh well, let's get this show on the road.

: "......Say, Hiro. If I... ...This world of yours... ..."

:unsmith:

Oh hoho, man, I wish we coulda brought Ronfar. Oh man.

: "And, I have returned with Lucia. She comes willingly in order to speak with you on a matter of great import."

: "Silence, Lucia! Did I not warn you to show proper respect? Althena approaches. You must stand in respectful silence!"

: "But...Lord Leo..."

: "Lucia...we don't want to make a bad impression. Tell Leo of your concerns later."

: "But...Hiro..."

: "Lucia, it'll be all right. You're just nervous, that's all. I understand. It's all right."

Video ~ Althena

: "Oh, Lucia from the Blue Star, I know you have traveled very far to visit me. Your journey was difficult, more than it had to be."

: "Accept my apologies as I welcome you to Pentagulia. Speak up, my dear."

: "..."

: "You! You are not Althena!"

: :stare:

: :stonk:

: :vince:

: "Who are you?!"

Music ~ Goddess of Lies

Lucia suddenly fires a bolt of energy at "Althena"

But a false Goddess is protected by a false Dragonmaster.

We are approaching peak smug. Alert, smug levels reaching their peak.

: "Your mother obviously never taught you the benefit of proper manners. Perhaps a little...er, creative redirection is in order... Hold on, dear Lucia. I'm afraid it's going to be a bumpy ride."

There is a song I hear

A melody from the past.

When I woke for the first time

And when I slept for the last.

Darkness has won

No heroes left to stand.

Do not blame Leo, he is only a man.

The Dragonmaster stumbles.

: "...Lord Ghaleon, you're hurt?!"

: "...It's a scratch. However..."

: "...?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well we had to have seen fake Althena miles coming, but goddamn that 'Dragonmaster' Ghaleon reveal is great.

• Locked thread