Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This whole section is one of my favorites, for so many reasons. You have no idea how much I want the next update to be posted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not like I was expecting good things to happen in Pentagulia, but I didn't think it would go this bad this quickly.

Renditious
Sep 25, 2012
And with this update, the best part of the game kicks off. I have to say, I still love everything to do with Ghaleon in this section, even if I still have a hatred of unwinnable boss battles.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So... does Ghaleon just beat your rear end down in the first round? Did they take out the dialogue in that fight?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

So... does Ghaleon just beat your rear end down in the first round? Did they take out the dialogue in that fight?

The dialogue's still there. I clipped it out cuz I was doin' a thing. I'll show off that 'fight' in full in a bonus thingie next update.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Crowetron posted:

The dialogue's still there. I clipped it out cuz I was doin' a thing. I'll show off that 'fight' in full in a bonus thingie next update.

....it's really been too long since I've played this version of the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Next update can't get here soon enough. With Lucia indisposed, our other friends busy and Leo firmly committed to the Goddess, who will save our intrepid young Hiro? :ohdear:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
:ohdear: poo poo got intense! I'm really excited to see what happens next!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
This really is where the game starts to go from great to amazing. Can't wait for the next update. :allears:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yeah, those of you who haven't played this before are in for a treat. Probably the best part of the game coming up, or at least one of the most memorable.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Ok, so this is basically confirming that Master Lunn is the evil mask dude, right? Like, I felt that was telegraphed pretty hard back when it happened, but now that they've all but admitted that every loving person in the church (Except for Leo) is :moreevil: with a capital EVIL, they've all but admitted that he's a bastard too, right? If he turns out not to be that dude, I will be flabbergasted.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That's a pretty sweet setup by the bad guys. Great twist having Ghaleon there as the reformed sinner redeemed by "Althena", to make them both look good. They've established Lucia as "the evil destroyer" already, and so when she attacks "Althena", who was welcoming them, without provocation, she acts like the evil destroyer.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's a pretty sweet setup by the bad guys. Great twist having Ghaleon there as the reformed sinner redeemed by "Althena", to make them both look good. They've established Lucia as "the evil destroyer" already, and so when she attacks "Althena", who was welcoming them, without provocation, she acts like the evil destroyer.

When Lucia attacks in combat she says a bunch of evil-sounding stuff.

Maybe she is the destroyer?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Mehuyael posted:

When Lucia attacks in combat she says a bunch of evil-sounding stuff.

Maybe she is the destroyer?

Man, this church needs to be destroyed. Forest fires can be good things!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I love it when a plan comes together.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Holy poo poo, I can't wait to see the next update. That was crazy. With all you guys hyping the next part I have high expectations now, and I don't think this game will disappoint.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Captain Bravo posted:

Ok, so this is basically confirming that Master Lunn is the evil mask dude, right? Like, I felt that was telegraphed pretty hard back when it happened, but now that they've all but admitted that every loving person in the church (Except for Leo) is :moreevil: with a capital EVIL, they've all but admitted that he's a bastard too, right? If he turns out not to be that dude, I will be flabbergasted.

It was me, Hiro!

Aw, SON OF A—

It was me, Hiro! It was me all along!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Chokes McGee posted:

It was me, Hiro!

Aw, SON OF A—

It was me, Hiro! It was me all along!

I am reading this in Vince's and JR's voices, thanks a lot Chokes McGee.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Bullshit.

Oh, you don't believe me?

Dost thou desire the power?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I guess Ghaleon must not get out a lot in public if people think he's been redeemed. Dude can't say five words without sneering.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He's an elf. People expect elves to do that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You guys are in for a treat when Althena is revealed to be the Masked Man.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You guys are in for a treat when Althena is revealed to be the Masked Man.
Hey, hey, don't spoil that Lemina's evil twin Melina is the Masked Man! Geez!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
It would be incredibly satisfying if Jean went on a rampage of dishing out Stunners to all the evil people.

Bah gawd, Stunner!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rotinaj posted:

It would be incredibly satisfying if Jean went on a rampage of dishing out Stunners to all the evil people.

Bah gawd, Stunner!

I will not rest until pro wrestling references are injected into every LP on this forum that I follow!

Except I don't have a short list right now. So basically this one.

Welp. *rests*

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of my favorite details in this game is that unless the sprites are walking, Jean is ALWAYS doing squats. Girl is serious about her exercise.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, this church needs to be destroyed. Forest fires can be good things!

How can you out-pyro Mauri though? She'd probably torch every goddamn city, including the churches inside of them, just to get her smite on. Just piss her off and every church is gone. All of the towns will be on fire, but we all have to make a few sacrifices.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 47: Tuxedo Mask

Last time on Lunar 2, everything went to poo poo. Althena's MIA with an impostor in her place, Ghaleon is the Dragon Master, Lucia got lasered, the rest of our party is missing, and we're in jail. But, there is an upside: I have a video for you guys!

MANDATORY VIEWING

:allears:

I love this stupid game so much, you guys

: "You must hurry or your lives shall be lost!"

: "Heh, heh, heh!"

: "Come on, Leo! Knock off the party games and tell us what's really happening!"

This not the sort of game to let you wallow in misery for more than a few seconds. Square Enix is making you play through a coma patient's self-loathing hallucinations while Game Arts is sitting over here going "This prison sequence doesn't have enough jokes. Let's get some jokes in there."

: "Listen very carefully, now. There are four towers in this city, each with a prison on the top floor. They are connected by an underground network of passages. You are in the White Tower. Your friends are in the other three."

: "Since she tried to murder the Goddess, her fate is most likely execution. I shall help you release Ronfar and the two women from their cells. What you do after that is your own business."

Mystere presses the button and...

The laser grid shuts off! The best prison cells are the ones that don't need keys!

Art, Hiro. Art is happening here.

: "We must hurry to the other three towers! There is no time to waste!"

: "Um...why don't you go first?"

How...DARE you question Mystere in my presence?!

Ruby just flies over and presses the button to extend the bridge.

The fact that it pushes the rope out of the way is a cute little detail.

At last, Mystere joins our party! He has the same level, gear, and spells as Leo did when we last saw him.

But he does have this mask. Leo didn't have that. Hmmm...

Music ~ White Mask Funk

So, here we are in the White Tower. Each tower is a little dungeon in and of itself, but none of them are really anything difficult. This one, particularly, is a joke, since there's an Althena statue right inside it, so you can heal up without respawning anything.

A second Healing Ring is always nice. I don't think they stack, though.

Every tower has themed enemies roaming around.

Since this tower belongs to General Leo, we naturally have armored soldiers patrolling the halls. Aside from a cute reference, these guys have really nothing going for them. They can hit pretty hard, but we have infinite healing upstairs and either Hiro or Mystere can one-shot them with special moves.

We do find a very nice sword upgrade for Hiro, though.

And another Life Jewel.

A few more goombas to stomp, and we're done with the White Tower! Yeah, the towers are pretty dull. As an aside, those two Althena statues both work like any other.

We can't go out the front door, largely due to us being wanted criminals, but we can head down beneath the city.

The underground passages are almost interesting, since they have a mix of all four towers' enemy types. It's still a series of featureless stone corridors, but hey, it's something.

Flame Reapers are annoying because they have high HP and defenses, and we don't have the means to exploit their weakness at the moment. Luckily, just one is still a bit of a nonissue.

There's also another Althena statue down here, making this excursion even less of a threat.

The Towers are positioned in the four corners of the map, and I decided to free our allies in the order they left us. So, first up is the Black Tower.

Since I'm sure I'm not the only one sick of hearing "Conquering the Cave", I'll instead be linking to the themes of the character held in each tower.

Music ~ Holding On

As you'd expect, Borgan's tower is filled with wizards.

Flash Lords, despite looking like awesome Jim Henson wizards, are really not a big deal. Dark Sorcerers, however, can deal out some real damage and have the HP to survive a few rounds of concentrated fire. Focus on the birdmen first, then mop up the trash goblins.

The Towers compensate for the ladies sitting out Azado by giving us free armor upgrades for them. Nothing as big as Hiro's new sword, though.

Free stuff is still free stuff.

Ah, here we are.

: "I didn't know if you guys were even still alive!"

: "We're playing a little game. Lord Leo has decided to play this part called 'Mystere' and we're playing along. We're not supposed to know who he is...but he's helping us, I think..."

A good response to Mystere

: "Triple heart bypass?"

: "Nice. But no."

Here, we see the meeting our party member had with the owner of the tower. Since we already eavesdropped last update, I'll just skip ahead to the bit we didn't hear.

: ("Aw, gross!")

: ("I know, right? And I'm pretty sure he meant actual cannibalism, but I can't decide if that makes it better or worse.")

: "Besides, your sweet mother is no longer in Pentagulia. She's busy making a new home for us in Neo-Vane, my illustrious magic city."

: "Geh, heh, heh...yes, that's right, cupcake, Neo-Vane. And, surprise of surprises, she loves it there! But why wouldn't she? Her surroundings are those of a Queen. I have given her the finest of all the world has to offer. And, all that I ask is that she grow to love me. Despit what you think, it can be done. If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can grow to find affection for me as well."

Would read Borgan's E/N thread

: "After Miria and I are united, your ability to revive the Magic Guild of Vane will be forever sealed. I'm afraid you don't stand a chance at stopping me, cream-puff."

:stare:

Jeez, Borgan can't even get through a villainous monologue without almost loving everything up.

: "I mustn't let you in on that little secret until we're back in Neo-Vane. Believe me, poopsie, you'll feel right at home."

: "Geh, heh, heh, heh, heh... But since you seem a little adverse to the idea right at the moment...I'd best put you in a holding cell."

: "And besides, I don't get what Borgan said about Zophar."

We'll uh...we'll talk about it later, Lem.

Alright, now we've got our artillery back, time to go grab our medic.

By the way, these goobers? Guess what they're weak to.

:smugwizard:

Last we saw of Ronnie, he was in the Red Tower.

Music ~ Women, Wine, and Song

Looks like Leo's the only one of the Big Four to have Althena statues in his office. I bet Lunn and Mauri have lots of jokes about what a kiss-rear end he is.

Sticking to her fire theme, Mauri's tower has lots of fire and dragon-y guys. The enemies here certainly tend to hit harder than those in any of the other towers, but even if you come here first, you have the tools to deal with it.

Of course, fire dudes being weak to ice means that Hiro and Mystere can take a bit of a breather in these smaller fights.

The Hellfire Staff is a powered up version of Lemina's basic Fire Staff. Useless in here, but it will be a nice upgrade later. The other chest was just a Star Light or something.

It's only been a couple hours, how does this place already smell like cheap whiskey?

: "I thought Ghaleon woulda splattered you all over the walls by now."

: "Nah, it's cool. It was a scripted encounter."

: "Well, thank gently caress for THAT!"

: "He's pretending to be some kind of nutty superknight called 'Mystere.' Go figure..."

No one cares about Leo's mental breakdown in the slightest, and it's wonderful :allears:

: "Watching your language, Ronfar?"

: "gently caress off, kid, I'm trying to tell a goddamn story here."

Again, we'll skip to the new stuff.

: "Don't you see? We can never go back..."

: "Don't say that, Mauri. You have no idea how I torment myself with the knowledge that I turned you into this!"

While I have to give Ron some props for figuring out twist on his own, it would've been nice if he'd given Hiro and Lucia a bit of a heads-up before we walked into a trap.

Have I mentioned how much I love that particular portrait of Mauri's? Because I really do love it. She's just having such a blast being evil!

: "Love me for the way I am, and return to the ways of the Goddess. Prove your love with a kiss, darling!"

: "Mauri, I can't join you here. Can't you see that the Goddess is a fraud?! And worse, she's imprisoned you in some kind of eternal darkness!"

"Let's not talk about my service to Anime Satan, it's so droll."

: "Let's talk about the times we used to have, the games we used to play...and let's forget about this crazy mess that both of us are in."

: "I wish I could Mauri. You have no idea how badly I wish for that to be. But there is more at stake here than just us... You've got to give me some straight answers before I can help you. Tell me...what is really going on in this terrible city? Why is it that you never show the sweet smile of innocence I fell in love with? All I see now is the fire of hate in your eyes."

This is pretty much how all my interactions with women end, too.

: "Help! I...I am awash in a sea of...darkness..."

Mauri stone cold as gently caress

: "Wow, there's a lot more going on there than in my story."

: "Why, what happened with you?"

: "Borgan wants to bang my mom."

: "Gross."

: "Mauri is obviously under some kind of black spell from the false Goddess...and has been ever since the day I cured her from the disease. That impostor Goddess will pay for what she's done to Mauri..."

Alright, one buddy left to rescue!

Time to tackle the Blue Tower.

Music ~ Gypsy Heart

Kinda weird that we're able to get in here without fighting a four-armed ogre prince first. poo poo, we didn't even get a mirror match!

At least the Putty Patrol is still here to keep us company.

The only thing these guys have going for them is speed. The Assassins are faster than anyone in our party, so we can't squeak past encounters unharmed. Luckily, we have Ronnie back, so we can deal with the scrapes without any trouble.

Lem and Jean share head and wrist gear, so we find another pair for our resident dance-fighter. Hiro and Ronnie don't share the same armor types, but Hiro and Mystere do, so really Ronfar gets the more unique equipment out of everyone.

Jean must've been unconscious when they locked her up, because I didn't see any broken bodies lining the halls downstairs.

: "I've been counting the minutes since they locked me up. I'm just glad you're all okay. I was worried..."

Did everyone know about the False Goddess except Hiro and Lucia? Jeez.

: "Near as we can tell, this is some sort of elaborate party game Leo is playing. He's dressed up and calls himself 'Mystere.' And as 'Mystere,' Leo was the one that rescued Hiro and me in the first place."

General Leo! We got General Leo here! ...See? Nobody cares.

: "No kidding, my ex girlfriend is possessed or something!"

: "The Goddess is fake and I don't know where Lucia is."

: "Borgan wants to bang my mom!"

: "drat, Lem still wins."

: "By a lot, yeesh."

: "I'm perfectly capable of telling the story with all three of you in a headlock if I have to."

Let's jump ahead to after she hands over the mask.

: "But you never knew when to give up...to leave well enough alone..."

:monocle: Kung Fu Treachery!

I think the thread would've called it right away if I left your voice clips in.

: "But then again, you were bred to fight, not to think. And fight you did."

: "I was little more than a naive assassin for your corrupt cause! You stole my childhood, Lunn. I'll never forgive you for that!"

: "'Never' is such a strong word, Jean. Think about it carefully. I molded you into what you are today! You should be grateful to me."

: "You took everything I had to advance your own selfish desire and gave me nothing in return. You never cared about me...not really. I was simply another child whose soul you would blacken for your own evil purpose. A trusting child whose innocence you would tear away with no hint of remorse."

Lunn just wishes people would talk more about the positive elements of being a child soldier.

: "I did care about you. Your skill was beyond anything I had encountered. You were special."

:black101:

: "Die one thousand deaths!"

BAM

: "...I don't believe...your karate has...grown...so...so very...strong..."

ULTRA COMBO FINISH

All joking aside, Akuma is loving bullshit!

: "We must find a way to stop Lunn! He cannot be allowed to continue stealing the innocence of little children. His newer, stronger Karate of Death is called the Shadow Dragon Fist."

: "Mystere, AWAAAAAAAAY~!"

: "Why in the world was Leo wearing that kind of get-up? He's a weird bird, that's for sure."

: "I think he's conflicted. Hopefully he works it out before he thinks that kind of getup is normal! He is playing a dangerous game, though. If the false Althena finds out..."

I agree, Hiro. Instead, let's think about that time you got your poo poo kicked in!

Bonus Content
So, I was kinda doing a thing during the throne room scene, and didn't talk much about the Ghaleon fight. Let's do that now.

First of all, Hiro's Combat plays here, which is Lunar 2's official theme of poo poo getting real. Secondly, this fight is completely unwinnable.

Fortunately, the games tells you almost right away by making all your attacks to 1 damage, so you don't start spending valuable resources.

For the first few rounds, Ghaleon just stands there, shrugging off whatever you can throw at him. This my main issue with this scene; several rounds of effectively nothing happening between lines of dialogue.

Eventually, Ghaleon deigns to acknowledge us.

He saps all our MP and then makes fun of us some more.

Our next attack will actually do some damage, prompting Ghaleon to actually do something.

He's got his sword out now, so he'll actually attack us.

At that point, we just get our faces smashed and the event is over. As annoying as unwinnable boss fights are, this one's not so bad.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 22, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You'd all think this is Leo's first time with the mask, but no, he's pulled this poo poo forever. One time he spilled his tea during a luncheon in Pentagulia and his men had to put up with "Mystere" for a whole week.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Oxxidation posted:

You'd all think this is Leo's first time with the mask, but no, he's pulled this poo poo forever. One time he spilled his tea during a luncheon in Pentagulia and his men had to put up with "Mystere" for a whole week.

What are you talking about? Mystere is clearly Gwyn, helping out his grandson.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

The best part about Mystere is that he has a completely new set of dialog for all his abilities in battle, and they are ridiculous :allears:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This game is amazing.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Seriously, folks, listen to this. And never stop.

Wait, do they not make you pay for statues of Althena under Pentagulia? They do in the original. Not that much, it's mostly just an annoyance. I actually find this part of the original pretty hard. I'm not sure if that's because Hiro and his Masked Friend are little weaker in that version or if that games' version of the Assassins loving suck.

Oh, and I need to know: do they let you steal Mystere's equipment in this version?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

I think the thread would've called it right away if I left your voice clips in.

I think pretty much everyone called it as it is. It's not exactly a huge twist, given how prevalent the old "benevolent powerful figure turns out to be evil" trope is. Hell, it was the main plot twist of the first game with Ghaleon there.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Bufuman posted:

I think pretty much everyone called it as it is. It's not exactly a huge twist, given how prevalent the old "benevolent powerful figure turns out to be evil" trope is. Hell, it was the main plot twist of the first game with Ghaleon there.
That the voice clips would have tipped us off made it easy to figure out, too.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

There's a vocal version, if you enjoy that sort of thing; they actually had a lot of serious names in the Japanese voice cast. I think it's a fun song, but my teenage years have deadened anything resembling good taste I might ever have had.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

U.T. Raptor posted:

The best part about Mystere is that he has a completely new set of dialog for all his abilities in battle, and they are ridiculousEverything :allears:

Fixed that for you.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
And that's why LeoMystere is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I like how Lunn burns Jean for not figuring it out sooner. It's a lot better than the Japanese version, where Lunn straight-up tells you.

• Locked thread