Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Hey Crowetron, I'm curious. Do you plan on showing off the secret way to beat the first boss?

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I looked it up, and boy am I glad I've been leaving multiple saves! I will definitely have to show that off as a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Crowetron posted:

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I looked it up, and boy am I glad I've been leaving multiple saves! I will definitely have to show that off as a bonus.

Whoo! I had issues doing it myself. It took me a few tries.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I kinda dig the red look. A few dungeons such as this aside, I seem to recall that this game has a very warm color palette overall, so it'll go nicely with the scenery.

So, Hiro's skills. I'm not one to complain about the voice acting in these games, but I hope you like hearing him yell, "Dodge this!" about ten thousand million times.

Crowetron posted:

: "Uh...nope! No secrets! No need to look under my mattress or anything!"

Oh, yeah, that's dialogue that fits in a Lunar game.

This isn't sarcasm.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with the blue windows.

I think that even though Lunar 2 likes forcing grinding on the player apparently, I found myself over-leveled in most parts of the game. But I tend to level too much in RPGs in general, since for me using items is anathema so I have to compensate somehow.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

green.

Also, if you're playing along, it's way, way easier to grind those levels on the way back down the tower :ssh:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
silver looks nifty to me.

It's kinda bumming me out that it doesn't look like Lunar 2's coming to PSN. I've been enjoying retreading through Lunar SSS with the Silver Star Harmony version of it. I'm not even asking for an improved remake of Lunar 2; I just want to be able to play it on my Vita.:smith:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Seem to be fighting an uphil battle now but blue. That's how Chrono Trigger did it, that's how it should be done :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I like the Silver Star Story myself. Looks nice and classy. But then, I usually switch to gray when I can customize the palette in RPGs.

TKMobile
Apr 30, 2009
The name of the game is eternal Blue

I am already digging your "OOC" interpretation of how Hiro and Ruby interact; it actually cements their buddy relation quite well.

Although, having played the game before and STILL knowing what I know of Leon, you would think his land boat would have some sort of sensor equipment to notice that at least some kinda commotion's going on over at Apocalypse Harbinger Tower...unless he blew all his stipend on that huge gun.

It's (almost) giving him too much credit, too, to speculate that his plan was to force the venerable archaeologist's hand by storming in, throwing his weight around and then snuck off behind a corner waiting for Gwyn and Hiro to try something like this...

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Let's go Silver.

Spacing the party out is pretty important to learn early. I forgot about it, and the fight against two Brainpickers killed me when they both used their mouth cannon.

Also, it's been years, and I didn't use Gwyn's healing in-battle in my recent replaythrough, and I STILL remember his quote for it being "We've got to keep our strength ahp!"

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I know the Lunar 2 games are pretty similar between the Sega CD and PSX version, at least story wise. But I just feel the vocal work in EBC is inferior to EB. I also feel the remake loses something in the few animated cutscenes it drops because of Lunar SSSC's drastically changed story line. (Lunar: Eternal Blue was based of the original story presented in Lunar: The Silver Star.)

I was planning on doing a Lunar: Eternal Blue Let's Play but I'm computer retarded and also poo poo at LPs. So, I'm glad to see SOMEONE (seemingly competent) is doing this even if it's this version.

On a chatty note, I am of the opinion that while the team working on it put in a good effort, that Lunar Silver Star Harmony has godawful VA work, Nall destroys my ears and Ghaleon is not John Truitt.
I will not accept any Ghaleon that is not John Truitt. :colbert:

Lunar truly is an amazing series, and it knows it. The only thing that really bothers me about Lunar is just how often the first game is made and remade, it's quite notorious for it. But the second game only exists in these two forms. There was a Lunar 1 IOS game released, I heard, apparently it's buggy as sin.

BooDoug187 posted:

Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete Pre-Order Bonuses

Man, BooDoug, those pre-order bonuses are pretty sweet. But Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete had the best pre-order bonus of all time.

There are some differences between the PSX and Sega CD version of this game if OP wants me to show those off. I'm good for it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure all the random feelies in the box just came with the game and the Ghaleon puppet was the preorder bonus for EBC. At least that's when I got mine and I'm sure a Gamestop in a mid-Missouri mall didn't hang on to preorder stuff for nearly 2 years.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 26, 2013

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
It's been so long since I got the punching puppet, I've actually forgotten which game it came with so I can't actually be certain myself.

However, the box he comes in says SSSC not EBC which is why I thought he was an SSSC pre-order thing:

Here's a close up of the words:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep, same box I have. It was probably going to be with Lunar 1 but didn't get delivered in time or something.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
My cousin blew his nose on the cloth map that came with the first Lunar.

It was pretty funny in retrospect, I flipped the gently caress out about it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Man, I wish I had a Ghaleon Fightin' Nun :( I'm pretty sure I still have that cloth map tucked away in a closet somewhere, though.

Jenner posted:

There are some differences between the PSX and Sega CD version of this game if OP wants me to show those off. I'm good for it.

I know Camel Pimp is planning his her own LP of the Sega CD version, so I'm leery about potentially stepping on his her toes there.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 6, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I got lucky in that I got the Ghaleon puppet without pre-ordering. Some wiseguy at the local EB staff assumed there'd be a ton of pre-orders or something, so at the time of purchase there were literally like a dozen sitting on a shelf above the counter. I think the salesperson was relieved I was buying a copy just so they could get rid of one.

I then used the puppet to have duels with my Chinese ghost punching puppet. I probably still have both sitting in a bag at my mom's somewhere.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Crowetron posted:

I know Camel Pimp is planning his own LP of the Sega CD version, so I'm leery about potentially stepping on his toes there.

I'm working on it, actually. I'm hoping to have some updates done before I start, though. Dunno if anyone would be interested since this LP exists, but frankly I did the Lunar 1 LP in hopes of later doing Lunar 2, so gently caress it.

(And it's kinda unimportant, but it's "she." I normally don't bother correcting people... but, eh.)

Anywho! Differences between this and the Sega-CD original. Wow, it's been a long time since I played this version, actually. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember. For one, the Blue Spire in the original is faaaar less generous with items. There are no chests with Starlights or Angel Tears (so if someone dies in battle OH WELL). They also didn't have the Mask enemies or Bomber Angels. Every else showed up, though.

But you don't get to complain about the difficulty, because you're playing the PSX version of Lunar 2, the one for wussy babies :colbert: (okay, okay, I haven't actually played this version in a while, but I remember it being pretty easy in comparison.)

In terms of abilities, in the original Hiro actually starts with Poe Sword, and Gwyn does not learn Fractured Armor. Hiro learning Squall gives me a chance to talk about how the original did abilities. Each characters had their skills, and those leveled with the character. Hiro's Poe Sword is in that set. They also Magic, which is what Boomerang falls under. In order to get better wind magic for Hiro, you had to spend Magic Experience (which you got after every battle). The remake pretty much strips this away, although some oddities of the old system remain. (Which might be easier to explain a little bit down the line)

I don't know if you can get Squall at this point in the Sega-CD version; in my playthough, I haven't. Of course, I've also barely put any MExp into Hiro's Wind magic because it sucks.

Oh! And you also have to spend MExp to save! In the English version, anyway.

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
I never got my puppet because while I was a fan of SSSC, I never pre-ordered EBC and just bought it on the day it came out. I still have my Lucia's pendant that came with EBC, though.

This thread is making me nostalgia so hard right now. Also, voting GREEN.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of the differences that aren't the result of how much was changed between TSS and SSSC are fairly minor gameplay things. Original EB had a few cases of Vireland not keeping his hands out of poo poo he didn't have any business touching but even the infamous mxp cost on saving was fairly minor.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm working on it, actually. I'm hoping to have some updates done before I start, though. Dunno if anyone would be interested since this LP exists, but frankly I did the Lunar 1 LP in hopes of later doing Lunar 2, so gently caress it.

(And it's kinda unimportant, but it's "she." I normally don't bother correcting people... but, eh.)

When you do that one I'll have a bunch of Japan to English poo poo for you there too Camel. Not as extensive though, mostly lore stuff.

Camel Pimp posted:

Anywho! Differences between this and the Sega-CD original. Wow, it's been a long time since I played this version, actually. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember. For one, the Blue Spire in the original is faaaar less generous with items. There are no chests with Starlights or Angel Tears (so if someone dies in battle OH WELL). They also didn't have the Mask enemies or Bomber Angels. Every else showed up, though.

Man, Sega-CD was way more frugal with items AND statue placement. I remember hanging onto every Silver Light because HOLY gently caress.

Camel Pimp posted:

But you don't get to complain about the difficulty, because you're playing the PSX version of Lunar 2, the one for wussy babies :colbert: (okay, okay, I haven't actually played this version in a while, but I remember it being pretty easy in comparison.)

No, you're right, the PSX version is way easier. I can prove it with just two words. Gravity Bomb.

Lemme see if I can get pics of some of the other Miscellaneous Lunar poo poo I have laying about. Gotta dig out my Nall plush.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Camel Pimp posted:

I know what you mean, since I did Parasite Eve 1 pretty much solely for the sake of LPing Parasite Eve 2. I also think our styles are different enough that two LPs of largely the same subject matter can still be interesting! I'd read it, at least. :shobon:

quote:

In terms of abilities, in the original Hiro actually starts with Poe Sword, and Gwyn does not learn Fractured Armor. Hiro learning Squall gives me a chance to talk about how the original did abilities. Each characters had their skills, and those leveled with the character. Hiro's Poe Sword is in that set. They also Magic, which is what Boomerang falls under. In order to get better wind magic for Hiro, you had to spend Magic Experience (which you got after every battle). The remake pretty much strips this away, although some oddities of the old system remain. (Which might be easier to explain a little bit down the line)

I don't know if you can get Squall at this point in the Sega-CD version; in my playthough, I haven't. Of course, I've also barely put any MExp into Hiro's Wind magic because it sucks.

Oh! And you also have to spend MExp to save! In the English version, anyway.

That Magic EXP system sounds really annoying. Making players spend resources to save is always bad design, and I say this as a massive Resident Evil fanboy. At least both version acknowledge the magical properties of boomerangs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Gonna vote for the Eternal Blue window scheme.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I'd be interested, for one. There's not a whole lot of differences but they are there, especially in the actual game difficulty. If you're unsure of thread popularity, why not see if Crowetron would be up to having it in here, a la the Final Fantasy IV thread? Anyone who loves the game wouldn't mind getting a double dose of Lunar 2, and people who've only played one version would be interested in the other. That just leaves people who haven't played either and they'd probably find the differences interesting too.

And if they don't, forget about them. They don't count, they haven't played Lunar 2 :colbert:.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Adding my vote for Eternal Blue.

MintDinosaur
Mar 31, 2008

Camel Pimp posted:

Dunno if anyone would be interested since this LP exists.

I played both Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue on the PSX. I'd love to read along and have you tell me what differences there were between systems as you go through the game. Please?

At worst, do it like the FF7 thread is doing if you don't open up your own.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The MagicXP system was the only way to initiate what is affectionately called 'The Lemina Bug' though. I hope you show that off, CamelPimp.

I was just looking at videos of Lunar: Eternal Blue and y'know it's actually aged really well. Though, like all Working Designs games the dialog is pretty dated. IE anyone under the age of 25 might not get some of the references.

Edit: CamelPimp I am interested in seeing you do an EB LP. :3:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 27, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

As someone who followed your SSS LP as close as a lurker can, I too add my support to the pile for you to do an LP of the S-CD version Camel Pimp.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

As I recall it, Silver Star and Silver Star Story Complete/Harmony had the more dramatic differences (has anyone LP'd either of the latter?).

If this thread ended up becoming a PSX/Sega CD Eternl Blue double feature, we'd probably get more interesting discussion than if we had two threads, assuming that's something both Crowetron and Camel Pimp were up for. I guess it'd need some coordination between our two intrepid Hiros, so that's all their call. :v:

Sega CD Eternal Blue, I remember being the first Lunar I ever saw, in a magazine article somewhere and later a strategy guide sitting in a bookstore. It looked neat, but nobody I knew owned a Sega CD (and this was back when anime-style art was still dazzling and exotic). When the Complete games came out for PSX a few years later, my impression turned out gloriously correct.

We had Ghaleon punching-puppet battles during lunch at school. :black101:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Might as well throw a vote in, just in case.

Blue.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Okay, okay, I get it. I get it. It will come. (I was gonna do it anyway, but still nice to hear.)

Jenner posted:

The MagicXP system was the only way to initiate what is affectionately called 'The Lemina Bug' though. I hope you show that off, CamelPimp.

I was just looking at videos of Lunar: Eternal Blue and y'know it's actually aged really well. Though, like all Working Designs games the dialog is pretty dated. IE anyone under the age of 25 might not get some of the references.

Edit: CamelPimp I am interested in seeing you do an EB LP. :3:

I've heard of it, but I've never actually tried to pull that bug off. That might be easier to do, though, if I knew how to hex edit. Hrm. I'll definitely try, that's for sure.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That cyclops G-virus has more than one eye and that is only its right side in view. :pwn:

Green

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Jenner posted:

I know the Lunar 2 games are pretty similar between the Sega CD and PSX version, at least story wise. But I just feel the

Thats what I was going to show later. My puppet is at my parents house and I havent been able to get there to get it!

Yes it was a pre-order bonus for Lunar 2. There was an Alex puppet made to be preorder for the PC version of Lunar 2 but that version was canceled and the Alex puppet was never sold.

I had an ordeal to get my puppet. I pre ordered mine from an EB Games. When I paid for my copy I saw a thing on the recept that said "Pre-Order Puppet: 0.00" I asked the guy about it and he said it was a mistake. When he opened the cabenet for something else I saw several of the puppets. I said to him I think I am suspose to get one of those puppets. He mummbled something and tried to say it was for something else. I stood there demanding to speak with his manager. The guy acted like a total rear end, not letting me get my preorder item. Well at this point my mom comes in.

She asked me what was going on and what was taking so long. I explained to her I think these guys were trying to rip me off. He tried to say to her the puppets were a sale item for something else. She called him out on his bull poo poo and demanded to see his manager. The clerk tried to give her the run around about manager not being there. At that point I noticed the door to the back was slowly closing and someone was behind it. I said to my mom that guy was the manager. She pushed the door open and made the guy come out.

She told him what was happening and he tried to make it sound like it was some mistake. At this point another guy walks in, trying to get his copy of the game. The clerk gives him his game and the guy says something about the puppet. The clerk tried the same bull poo poo story. But this guy was prepared.

"I knew you assholes would pull this poo poo" he said. He pulls out a print off from the Working Designs website, and a video game magazine that had a ad that said free puppet with preorder. My mom sees this and goes off, cussing out the clerk and the manager. The manager tried to say it was for online orders. My mom demanded that the manager called someone above him to clear this up. The manager get on the phone and calls his corperate office. When he gets in touch with someone his face drops. He hangs up the phone, hands me and the other guy our puppets and apolizes.

Apparently several other people who preordered their copy of the game didnt get their puppets and they called EB's main office, complaining about what these guys were doing. When the manager called the head office was about to call him up. Letting him know that a manager and clerk from another EB was coming to take over the store, and that the manager and the rear end in a top hat clerk I had to deal with were fired.

tl/dr version: Clerk and manager of EB Games tried to rip people off. People called corporate, corporate fires rear end in a top hat.

BooDoug187 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 27, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

BooDoug187 posted:

Apparently several other people who preordered their copy of the game didnt get their puppets and they called EB's main office, complaining about what these guys were doing. When the manager called the head office was about to call him up. Letting him know that a manager and clerk from another EB was coming to take over the store, and that the manager and the rear end in a top hat clerk I had to deal with were fired.

tl/dr version: Clerk and manager of EB Games tried to rip people off. People called corporate, corporate fires rear end in a top hat.

:sbahj:

That's right, EB, you do NOT gently caress around when it comes to the Ghaleons.

And y'know, I'm sure there'll be plenty of wonderful things to be said of a particular :smug:-as-gently caress elf after we get to a certain point in the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And what exactly were they planning to do with the puppets? :raise: Sell them and pocket the money?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Well.. a lot of times that sort of stuff, if it sits in the store long enough, tends to just get carted off. This was around the time eBay was getting well known, so that sort of collectible probably would turn a tidy profit if you don't get called out on it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'm pretty sure those puppets sell for a LOT of money now-a-days.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

And what exactly were they planning to do with the puppets? :raise: Sell them and pocket the money?

Keep one for themselves, maybe sell others on ebay or sell them in store for couple bucks. A friend of mine from high school works at a near by Gamestop. They often have boxes full of unclamed pre order stuff, mainly from games no one preordered or came to collect. They would wait till near the end of the month to either trash the stuff or split the stuff amoung themselves. One night I scored couple game soundtracks, a hat, a do-rag, and some posters because I stopped by before they closed.

BooDoug187 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 27, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

A quick jaunt over to eBay shows them going for...about $20-$30. So, yeah. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The Nall Plushies go for a bit more, but the Lunar series has a bunch of swag which I have accumulated over the years because I am one of those fans.

Pics or it didn't happen?
OK, but be aware this is only the tip of the iceburg, a girl I know has almost everything and I'll see about getting her to post up her full collection and show that off. Anyway, here's a taste:

This is Lunar: Magic School AKA Lunar: Walking School, it's another game in the Lunar series that has never seen daylight outside Japan. It's actually pretty good (unlike loving Dragon Song which doesn't exist :argh:) and semi popular in Japan.

Popular enough to warrant an anime:

But I mean, what doesn't get turned into an anime in :japan:.

Or a manga several mangas for that matter.

Or an RPGsystem and campaign bo--... wait.

:stare:
:frogon:

Vane Novella, tells the early history of Lunar. Talks about the Vile Tribe and it's history, the creation of Vane, and it also completely supersedes all the bullshit that happened in that piece of poo poo game that does not exist. Also tells the story of young Ghaleon before he went crazy over Dyne's downfall at the hands of the Enraged Black Dragon.

ALL THE LUNAR, one of the rarest collectables.

This is the Japanese PC version of Lunar.

This is an art book for Lunar 1 and 2. Has a lot of the scribbles, story boards, character ideas etc. I'll post up some pages later but there are SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. A lot of the stuff in this suggests that originally the characters of this game were meant to be the offspring of the original cast from Lunar: The Silver Star.

Another Art Book.

Like I said, I'll try and get pics of that friend of mine's collection.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 27, 2013

• Locked thread