Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I remember getting really hype for this as a kid only to get so disappointed every time Gamestop thought they had a release date but turned out to be full of poo poo. I wound up liking the game that came with the demo better (me and my mecha obsession) but it was still pretty fun.

Some guy I went to high school with got really obsessed with it and wound up doing a skit summarizing the plot for an English project. That was kinda awkward since he never actually got around to playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SerSpook posted:

I still have the pendant.

Pretty sure mine's still in a box somewhere as well.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not sure there was a "regular edition" for Arc The Lad Collection or Lunar 2. Lunar 1 got that version with crappy fan art instead of the regular disc art but the other 2 were from too close to WD going under.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm rather partial to our friendly narrator's theme. Such a shame he stopped voice acting after WD closed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What killed WD wasn't just the piles of swag, it was Vireland going nuts for 3 specific licenses in a timeframe where they normally would have made about 6 different releases and getting completely hosed over on them when the work was finally done. In the last 3 years of the company they had 1 release, that was supposed to be 2 but Sony wouldn't certify them separately and a third game that was finished but was refused certification.

This LP existing caused me to finally finish replaying Lunar 2 after all these years. It was like visiting an old friend :unsmith:, even if the postgame kinda blows.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, Noriyuki Idaware makes amazing music.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Votin blue because nothing else feels right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, so you're the world's premiere expert on this religious structure, you live practically next door to it, and you spend your entire life studying it, yet you've never been inside it?

...you're not very good at your job, are you Grandpa Gwyn?

To be fair no one's been inside in several thousand years and the keys are kept in some rather brutal places.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure all the random feelies in the box just came with the game and the Ghaleon puppet was the preorder bonus for EBC. At least that's when I got mine and I'm sure a Gamestop in a mid-Missouri mall didn't hang on to preorder stuff for nearly 2 years.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 26, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yep, same box I have. It was probably going to be with Lunar 1 but didn't get delivered in time or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of the differences that aren't the result of how much was changed between TSS and SSSC are fairly minor gameplay things. Original EB had a few cases of Vireland not keeping his hands out of poo poo he didn't have any business touching but even the infamous mxp cost on saving was fairly minor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's even a translation patch for the Game Gear version floating around.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty much. I put a few hours in and it was just little girls faffing about Vane.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lucia hasn't exactly done much talking in the last thousand years, probably more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

For a while anyway. She eventually gets tired of your poo poo and starts casting a spell that ends the fight without giving you xp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, it doesn't start til you grind to level 16 or something completely retarded.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It takes surprisingly little time if you set your emulator up properly but then you gotta remember to turn it back when you're fishin for screenshots and voice clips.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just recorded the spell but it'll be a while before my terrible connection finishes uploading it. Turns out you only need to be level 14. I also took some screencaps of a bug you can do by casting calm litany while Lucia's in the party and then hitting the shoulder buttons a couple times.

E: here it is

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 1, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Go for it. She has a few other skills with odd triggers along the way that I'll point out when we get there. One of them might be possible now but getting it to happen is annoying even when she isn't instakilling everything with other spells. That and I kinda hosed up and saved over my Blue Spire file before I thought about it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's another spell later that does the same thing and one fight that has that message no matter what. It also comes up if you hit level 18 in the demo (this might be a little lower, haven't played the demo in over a decade and all)

Here's those bug pictures, I only uploaded the interesting ones that come from getting a look at Lucia's spell list. She might have some descriptions for a couple other ones she gets but I haven't gone looking for a save that has them yet. The first 2 are pretty familiar, just tooltips that never otherwise display for 2 of her attack spells.

This one isn't the same Atomic Burn shown above: it's an aoe centered on her with a different voice clip and animation

This last one is a real oddity that only gets cast if you wear a specific accessory to the first final boss fight.
It's a full revive with Lucia yelling "Hiro!"

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 1, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nah, Zophar just is. He gives himself a million epithets but it all comes down to being smug and making people kill each other for his amusement.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Awesome. Silver's kinda hard to read off of anyway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm pretty sure she runs off Hiro's level.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some of her spells are gated by the plot but I'm reasonably sure that her hp and the upgrades to her attack spells aren't.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ronfar actually has really strong attacks, he just doesn't get very many of them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm reasonably sure that Destiny Dice does damage your party when you guess wrong. It just does very little damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it going to have moon lizards being extra anime on behalf of clueless earth girls?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

But if you do that the next couple of bosses wind up way more expensive than the really need to be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I dunno, this scene kinda makes narrative sense when looked at against another pointless fanservice scene in about 10 hours or so.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It really is. I just wish this second one got the umpteen rereleases the original has. It's very much the better game of the pair.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Plantella can really bring the pain if you're underleveled. I was level 14 or 15 last time I got there and the vine+poison attack was doing around 70 damage. Hiro dropped halfway through the fight and I was tried toughing it out without using an angel tear :downs:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There was an interview where Vireland talked about how a lot of it was just replacing very Japanese jokes (either bad puns or cracks about public figures the rest of the world wouldn't recognize) with ones that work in the US.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Finally we meet the one character who just might out smug Lezard Valeth. Such a shame that John Truitt got out of voice acting when WD went under, dude really had something going on here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm fuckin dying over here that was the best.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, everything he believed in literally fell apart in front of him in the leadup to the first game. And he couldn't see how the world could go on without the goddess even if he had to force her to back into being. He went from a world where God walks among you and has an active role in day to day affairs to one with no such being and just couldn't take it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Isn't the spell she casts to revive everyone Blue Star Prayer? That she only uses under REALLY specific circumstances?

Yeah, the one that she only uses if you have one very wrong accessory equipped during the final boss.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

jobroskie posted:

I love this game but I never beat it. I decided to check out the last dungeon to see how much more i needed to grind because I was a little under leveled, landed my airship, saved over my only save before I entered, and then realized that once you land your airship you can't get in it again. I never played it again.

Ummm, that probably wasn't the final dungeon if you couldn't get back in the Destiny. Or are you talking postgame?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The big thing about having access to the Destiny is that you have access to the Destiny's Althena statue, which should solve any level problems unless you're so underleveled that you can't even win going all out on a random battle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, in the book you could make a case for both applying to the same man :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Silver Star Story PC port was a very blink and you miss it thing. Unlike the massive magazine blitz they did for the PSX version you really only knew it existed if you were on their forums constantly.

• Locked thread