Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yaaaaaay Eternal Blue! Definitely one of my favorite all time games, and it improved on the original in so many ways. It's got the perfect mix of serious and goofy, and the characters are all pretty drat awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh Leo...don't ever change.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey Crowetron, I'm curious. Do you plan on showing off the secret way to beat the first boss?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Crowetron posted:

I had no idea what you were talking about, so I looked it up, and boy am I glad I've been leaving multiple saves! I will definitely have to show that off as a bonus.

Whoo! I had issues doing it myself. It took me a few tries.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Thuryl posted:

Yeah, it's the standard message for any fight where you don't gain any XP or cash. Instant-death spells in general in the Lunar games are almost 100% effective against anything that isn't immune, but the catch is that you get no reward for enemies defeated that way.

Not in the PSP version of Silver Star. Dragon Grief kills all enemies, but you still get experience. I remember it being pretty cheap too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's what I like about Zophar. He's evil just because. And he's probably the one villain like that who I'm OK with for being that way. He just does it so well.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The whole cast is all sorts of wonderful, but I agree that Ronfar and Leo are definitely the coolest especially at the beginning of the second disc

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never noticed until I saw it in screenshot form, but does something look off about Ronfar's arm in that FMV?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Isn't the spell she casts to revive everyone Blue Star Prayer? That she only uses under REALLY specific circumstances?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Rusty Dagger and Magic Eye Crest. Not too useful, but not well known.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Camel Pimp posted:

...that's my best guess, anyway. Really, I don't know why they added these dungeons. L:SSSC did that too. (My least favorite is that stupid forest you need to pass to get to Meryod. Which you have to cross twice.)

gently caress that place in the ear. First group dungeon with new enemies when you actually have your full party and WD decides to make two of them dead weight? Whose idea was that?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think it's not really needed, but I don't see where it takes away from the game either. The game does a great job at Lucia's development, and this is just them making sure you get that point if you're too dense to pick it up by then. The only issue I have with it is that it blocks me from getting to one of my favorite parts of the game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Actually, come to think of it, if she didn't care if anyone saw her naked why even put on the robe?

Besides the fact that it was totally awesome.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Huh. I never knew about those Wanted posters.

This part of the game is always one I look forward to. It's a huge leap for one of the longer arcs and poo poo gets real again. As much as I love the silliness in this game, the serious parts tend to be my favorite. They're way better than the ones in SSSC.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I decided to play a little again this morning (yay insomnia!) and I noticed that in the scene where Jean beats the poo poo out of Ronfar and Hiro at the carnival, they actually change her sprite to have angry eyes. Whoa.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Jean and Lemina actually get re-averaged levels after this section. I played through this part a week or so ago and was worried about the same thing because I was determined to fight every single fight in the game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Leo is the best character for reasons you shall see shortly.

You'll ALL see.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This whole section is one of my favorites, for so many reasons. You have no idea how much I want the next update to be posted.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That made me laugh way more than it should have.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You guys are in for a treat when Althena is revealed to be the Masked Man.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One of my favorite details in this game is that unless the sprites are walking, Jean is ALWAYS doing squats. Girl is serious about her exercise.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Oxxidation posted:

You'd all think this is Leo's first time with the mask, but no, he's pulled this poo poo forever. One time he spilled his tea during a luncheon in Pentagulia and his men had to put up with "Mystere" for a whole week.

What are you talking about? Mystere is clearly Gwyn, helping out his grandson.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Flytrap posted:

The best plot twist of all; you help exorcize a spirit from someone only to find that the raging lunatic is the real personality.

Wasn't that an episode of Angel?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't know why it just clicked in my head but "Penta"gulia. How did I not expect there to be a fifth tower when I played?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It'd be a shame if this LP died before the Kung-Fu Gypsy rescued children from becoming assassins.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

GrizzlyCow posted:

It's because you didn't personally vote this thread a 5, you monster.

I don't know what you're talking about. I totally did last night.

CmdrKing posted:

It's worth remembering that SSSC was a remake, so it's definitely possible that there were some additions to his character meant to hint at Zophar's eventual return. Without having played the Sega CD version of the game I can't really say for sure. But in either case, Ghaleon definitely has "humanity is helpless without a higher power to guide them!" as part of his overall thing, and even if Zophar's existence isn't driving this attitude within the story, I think it is supposed to be a wink at the player, suggesting that maybe Althena's being shortsighted in living as a mortal, with the player's knowledge of Eternal Blue to lend weight to Ghaleon's attitude.

You know I never actually thought about that. It is kind of a bitch move by Althena to leave the world helpless when she knows the literal devil is out there, and not even leave Lucia a note or text her phone so she sees it when she wakes up and completely screws her over to be with a guy (which, face it, we've all done).

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bufuman posted:

I dunno, that kind of conflicts with the whole "I want humans to stand on their own two feet rather than rely on me for loving EVERYTHING," deal that was half the reason she became a human in the first place (the other half being that she's just plain sick of being the goddess). One could argue that she simply had faith that humanity would overcome anything that came at it. Cheesy as it is, it's the kind of tripe trope that JRPG developers love, so it's entirely possible.

Althena is more or less a glorified babysitter. She basically left the kids alone with no note or explanation knowing there's a serial killer in the neighborhood with her friend unconscious on the couch.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mehuyael posted:

Pretty sure this upcoming part was my favorite part of the game, going all around the world beating up Chosen. Also I guess helping save the world, that too.

I also like it because it's all very straight and to the point. Beat up Chosen ----> Dragon Cave. Repeat 3 more times. No endless fetch quests.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Crowetron posted:

I could've sworn he switches from Magic Emperor gear to Crazy-Shoulder-Pads Ghaleon mid battle. It's been a while. It's been a while for Nall, too, so that's my excuse.

And actually, these screenshots are from the same batch as the previous update, so I don't know why the text looks off. I noticed it while writing the update, but it's still readable so I figured whatever.

It's been a while, but in the PSX remake isn't it Fake Magic Emperor ---> Real Magic Emperor who kicks your rear end ---> Final dungeon ---> Magic Emperor?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

Dang, I didn't even know field effects existed. I wonder what other bosses make them.

Pretty sure it's just these, but you can set them yourself.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This kinda threw me for a loop when I first played. Because so far, everyone has been more or less a copy from someone from the original.

Alex = Hiro, the hard hitting main character.
Nash = Jean, the speedy character with an OK offense whose your main status-inflicter.
Mia = Lemina. I trust this one is self-explanatory.
Kyle = Leo, second swordsman.
Jessica = Ronfar, healer with a decent offense if no one needs healing.

But now...well I'll let Crowetron get into it.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 20, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really love how the shadow on the side of Lunn's face gets darker when he has his evil face on. I don't know why though.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Noooooo...I don't want this to die. I'll wanna read it in the archives again at some point.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hope you don't get burned out again. We're so close to the end.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You realize you have to write a sonnet about jowls now, right?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Let's be honest here. Dragon Song would have made a lot more sense if it turned out to be a story told by Ronfar while drunk off his rear end. Seriously, just a cutaway to Ronfar after the credits, sitting in a bar, mug to his lips and drunkenly telling the story to keep his latest victim to keep him around and playing more hands.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If I remember rightly, Concussion Sword is actually weak but has a decent chance to inflict instant death on something. And since it hits every enemy, it might be worth trying out on bigger groups.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think it's fantastic that the entire team just spends all their time dropping sick burns on Ronfar. Nonstop. And not much is added by Crowetron.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Glazius posted:

That was a pretty interesting boss fight. But nobody else has healing? Not even Mystere?

You have the Blue Dragon Crest for healing if you're that worried. But honestly, the battle is mostly a formality. Unless you're ridiculously underleveled, it's hard to lose. Mauri doesn't do much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
We're VERY close to the end of the main game, but there's also a playable epilogue with a handful of dungeons to do.

• Locked thread