Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
I know the Lunar 2 games are pretty similar between the Sega CD and PSX version, at least story wise. But I just feel the vocal work in EBC is inferior to EB. I also feel the remake loses something in the few animated cutscenes it drops because of Lunar SSSC's drastically changed story line. (Lunar: Eternal Blue was based of the original story presented in Lunar: The Silver Star.)

I was planning on doing a Lunar: Eternal Blue Let's Play but I'm computer retarded and also poo poo at LPs. So, I'm glad to see SOMEONE (seemingly competent) is doing this even if it's this version.

On a chatty note, I am of the opinion that while the team working on it put in a good effort, that Lunar Silver Star Harmony has godawful VA work, Nall destroys my ears and Ghaleon is not John Truitt.
I will not accept any Ghaleon that is not John Truitt. :colbert:

Lunar truly is an amazing series, and it knows it. The only thing that really bothers me about Lunar is just how often the first game is made and remade, it's quite notorious for it. But the second game only exists in these two forms. There was a Lunar 1 IOS game released, I heard, apparently it's buggy as sin.

BooDoug187 posted:

Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete Pre-Order Bonuses

Man, BooDoug, those pre-order bonuses are pretty sweet. But Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete had the best pre-order bonus of all time.

There are some differences between the PSX and Sega CD version of this game if OP wants me to show those off. I'm good for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
It's been so long since I got the punching puppet, I've actually forgotten which game it came with so I can't actually be certain myself.

However, the box he comes in says SSSC not EBC which is why I thought he was an SSSC pre-order thing:

Here's a close up of the words:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm working on it, actually. I'm hoping to have some updates done before I start, though. Dunno if anyone would be interested since this LP exists, but frankly I did the Lunar 1 LP in hopes of later doing Lunar 2, so gently caress it.

(And it's kinda unimportant, but it's "she." I normally don't bother correcting people... but, eh.)

When you do that one I'll have a bunch of Japan to English poo poo for you there too Camel. Not as extensive though, mostly lore stuff.

Camel Pimp posted:

Anywho! Differences between this and the Sega-CD original. Wow, it's been a long time since I played this version, actually. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember. For one, the Blue Spire in the original is faaaar less generous with items. There are no chests with Starlights or Angel Tears (so if someone dies in battle OH WELL). They also didn't have the Mask enemies or Bomber Angels. Every else showed up, though.

Man, Sega-CD was way more frugal with items AND statue placement. I remember hanging onto every Silver Light because HOLY gently caress.

Camel Pimp posted:

But you don't get to complain about the difficulty, because you're playing the PSX version of Lunar 2, the one for wussy babies :colbert: (okay, okay, I haven't actually played this version in a while, but I remember it being pretty easy in comparison.)

No, you're right, the PSX version is way easier. I can prove it with just two words. Gravity Bomb.

Lemme see if I can get pics of some of the other Miscellaneous Lunar poo poo I have laying about. Gotta dig out my Nall plush.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The MagicXP system was the only way to initiate what is affectionately called 'The Lemina Bug' though. I hope you show that off, CamelPimp.

I was just looking at videos of Lunar: Eternal Blue and y'know it's actually aged really well. Though, like all Working Designs games the dialog is pretty dated. IE anyone under the age of 25 might not get some of the references.

Edit: CamelPimp I am interested in seeing you do an EB LP. :3:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 27, 2013

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
The Nall Plushies go for a bit more, but the Lunar series has a bunch of swag which I have accumulated over the years because I am one of those fans.

Pics or it didn't happen?
OK, but be aware this is only the tip of the iceburg, a girl I know has almost everything and I'll see about getting her to post up her full collection and show that off. Anyway, here's a taste:

This is Lunar: Magic School AKA Lunar: Walking School, it's another game in the Lunar series that has never seen daylight outside Japan. It's actually pretty good (unlike loving Dragon Song which doesn't exist :argh:) and semi popular in Japan.

Popular enough to warrant an anime:

But I mean, what doesn't get turned into an anime in :japan:.

Or a manga several mangas for that matter.

Or an RPGsystem and campaign bo--... wait.

:stare:
:frogon:

Vane Novella, tells the early history of Lunar. Talks about the Vile Tribe and it's history, the creation of Vane, and it also completely supersedes all the bullshit that happened in that piece of poo poo game that does not exist. Also tells the story of young Ghaleon before he went crazy over Dyne's downfall at the hands of the Enraged Black Dragon.

ALL THE LUNAR, one of the rarest collectables.

This is the Japanese PC version of Lunar.

This is an art book for Lunar 1 and 2. Has a lot of the scribbles, story boards, character ideas etc. I'll post up some pages later but there are SPOILERS EVERYWHERE. A lot of the stuff in this suggests that originally the characters of this game were meant to be the offspring of the original cast from Lunar: The Silver Star.

Another Art Book.

Like I said, I'll try and get pics of that friend of mine's collection.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 27, 2013

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Crowetron posted:

(I had no idea there was a fourth Lunar game)

I think you mean third Lunar game :colbert:

(Seriously, gently caress Dragon Song.)

dis astranagant posted:

There's even a translation patch for the Game Gear version floating around.

Really? I'd heard about that, didn't know they finished. Yay!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh gods Lucia's VA :gonk:

Give it TIME. This poo poo vocalization, believe it or not, is actually part of her characterization.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Original Translation was Zone Pharaoh, which is dumb, ZOPHAR is totes evil to the core.

JRPGs of the day all try to be needlessly complex, it's rubbish. There's no shame in a simple super evil guy who is evil for evil's sake.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Pierzak posted:

...is that Lord Yuna?

Well, that does bode well, I'm sure the new church is truly benevolent and definitely won't turn out to be a bunch of Destroyer-worshipping/duped cultists :v:

EXACTLY, religion has never been the primary evil in a JRPG ever. :v:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
A lot more thought was given to the Vile Tribe than to the beastmen. They sorta-kinda tried to address that in that game that doesn't exist. But, it sucks. In Lunar: The Silver Star and hopefully in the remakes (SSSC, etc) the beastmen were a largely disenfranchised race which was hated on by humans. Several beastmen NPCs in Meribia point out how they enjoyed staying there because Master Mel made sure they were treated well. Other beastmen around the game complained of human cruelty. It's one of the primary reasons the beastmen sided with Ghaleon in the original Lunar. Many of them were forced to, but some willingly chose to serve the Magic Emperor because gently caress humans.

Beyond that, there's little that can be gleaned from beastmen from games and other materials. Nothing in the established lore which explains where the beastmen came from. There are some fan pet theories drawn from the fact that you primarily find beastmen in the Frontier in the first Lunar Game (which may be the reason why they're so hated since the Frontier is not granted Althena's favor.) With Mel being the only 'important' beastman of that time. By Lunar 2 the beastmen have fully integrated into society, though I'm not exactly sure how many npc beastmen you run into in Eternal Blue.

Some Fan Theories include:
1. Beastmen were created alongside humans and just went to the moon along with them.
2. Althena terraformed the moon first and the beastmen naturally evolved there into several varied species of beastman then Althena brought humans over many years later and they were racists. :furcry:
3. Stop thinking too hard about it they're awesome.

I lean more towards option 1 or option 3 myself. Also, yes, Centaur Leo was one of the things I wanted to show. However, I'm glad someone else got the art book because my loving scanner is broken. :argh:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

Did Hiro just live in the middle of nowhere with his grandpa? Is Lucia the first girl his own age he's ever met?

Quite possibly.

She's the most beautiful girl he's ever seen.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
She probably just hovered or something she did that out of the crystal.

Though, I guess it's more appropriate to imagine she Kerri Strug'd it because that's just one more dated 90's reference to add to the bucket.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I'd like to think that this series was one of the first series to ever do the, "Isn't breaking the 4th wall fun kids?" thing.

I just want to say Crowetron, your italics bonus character commentary is pretty much spot on! I love it. I was laughing at your catch up sequence.

This is great, thanks for coming back.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

...it's hard to view his motivation as altruistic.

Indeed, filling a room full of stockholm fairies should not/does not humanize a man who committed outlandish atrocities. In fact, it actually makes him more creepy to me because locking someone up and isolating them from the world to "protect" them is basically what he's all about in the first game, and the fairies are just more of that.

Oh hey, are Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar: The Silver Star spoilers okay in this thread? Just curious.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

So... basically Ghaleon just read Catcher in the Rye and completely misinterpreted it?

More like he read Misery and was inspired.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

They're called Wyburn in the original games, too. Working Designs just really likes punny monster names. (A bush enemy called Ambush... really guys?!)

Snail monsters called Escargos. :3:

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
It truly is remarkable that Hiro just somehow happened to stumble upon friends/party members who each have a personal interest* in one of the Four Heroes. with Leo's rampant pursuit of Lucia giving Hiro a problem with him as well. Just so convenient how things work out like that. :allears:

Also I just happened to be at the right place at the right time for Naked Space Girls.

With statistics like that falling in your favor maybe you should be the gambler, Hiro.

*(unresolved issues)

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

I like everyone. :) It's kinda funny, actually, because doing the other LP has made me like Lemina way more than before, even if her gimmick is a bit tiresome at times. She's just so... bloodthirsty.

Also I hated the poo poo outta Leo as a kid. But that's mostly because of the Mystic Ruins. But none of you whippersnappers would know anything about that.

Back in our day video game dungeons were a bunch of bullshit. Hiding the way through Dragon Master Zoc's cave in the first game by placing the doorway in bottom wall you can't see through under a loving chest in a room that looks no different from any other room in that godforsaken dungeon was goddamn evil.

Leo is awesome but someone else who is most definitely not Leo and who we haven't met in this LP yet is even better. (Just wait you guys, the battle quotes. :allears:)

I'm quite partial to Ghaleon and Rufio Nall but my favorite character in the entire series has always been Fidy Quark. :3:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 3, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Gologle posted:

Why is Leo such a great character?

Because Leo is the loving best, get with the program.

Crowetron posted:

Let's get out of here before he develops any weird fetishes.

Crowetron this is the world of Lunar, this fate is inevitable. After all:

Mazed posted:

The real Lunar is a moon planet filled with sexual deviant NPCs and flying cats who talk poo poo about everything and everyone.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Psion posted:

This is just a stealth request for some ridiculous Lunar fan to show up with their full collection, right?

where's Jenner...

I don't think I have the hugest collection of random Lunar poo poo. I think that'd be Shiva Indis or Alunissage.

Would this playlist from someone who has all the scenes up on Youtube help, Crowetron? I recall reading you can download videos off Youtube.
Nevermind, these are just the cutscenes from the original Sega CD games. Let me see what I can dig up.

Edit: Awh man, LunarEB.com is dead... I bet it died a long time ago and I just never noticed... :smith:

Jenner fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 23, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

Not enough.

There's never enough Mystere.

I want a Mystere side-game where Mystere dorks about righting wrongs, combating injustice and getting flustered at swooning damsels.

If it wasn't obvious, BTW, Leo is Mauri's older brother and Ronfar's childhood friend.
And he is most definitely not Mystere, that would be silly.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Bufuman posted:

Well, at least Jean got to jump A railing. Er, after Lucia blew it the gently caress up.

Borgan the Black smells so much that I can smell it from in my computer. Even the internet is not enough to filter that horror.

Oh come on now, nobody can resist that much man!

Awwwwh yeaaaaah.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Mootiman posted:

Stuff about Ghaleon.

closeted republican posted:

More stuff about Ghaleon.

Pretty much accurate here, yes. In Lunar: The Silver Star Ghaleon goes grimdark and batshit because the Goddess was using his equal and best friend, Dyne, as an assassin to clean up her messes and it, as far as Ghaleon knew, killed him. Everything was the Goddess' fault etc etc. I made a longass effort post in the cowardly megathread I made in the Imp Zone regarding the whole thing which I'm not reposting here.

In Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete Ghaleon's reasons for going Badguy are much less justified. It largely becomes the stereotypical "I am mad at the world and God and so I shall become God!" JRPG villain. Basically, what Closeted Republican is saying in his post.

It's important for me to emphasize that, while in the original game Ghaleon really only shows up to mock Alex maybe three times and he, at no point, has Alex's blue-haired anime waifu clutched waifishly to his side like a creepo*. In the remake Ghaleon spends quite a bit more time flaunting Luna about like a prize and being stereotypically and pointlessly evil. He shows up to gloat and laugh maniacally a good 10+ times for no plot significant reason that I can discern.

*She did still show up in that dominatrix outfit though...

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

closeted republican posted:

...make the Four Heroes story idea that's been floating around since TSS' development.

That was and always has been an April Fools day joke that was entirely fabricated by the fan site Lunar-Net[source]. As far as I know, there were never any plans to make that game among Game Arts, Studio Alex, or Working Designs. (for better or worse.)

I want the Mystere Gaiden game we're all dreaming of.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

LJN92 posted:

: Althena gave me this Focus, but how do I complete it?

: I refuse to give up on Mauri, I won't let her become l'Cie!
: My mission takes precedence over your personal issues. You do not know what's right for this world!
: You don't understand! I promised to protect her! I won't go back on my word! I won't fail her!
: What you have said is irrelevant, you have already failed. I cannot permit you to interfere with my mission.
: You can't say things like that! I know what's best for Mauri! I won't be stopped!

: What are they doing over there?
: I have no idea but it looks mega-stupid.
: It is completely loving stupid.

: Your ideals are a threat to the very future of this world! I will not permit either of you to continue! Ronfar you may be my best friend but I will not hesitate to kill you if you continue along this calamitous path!
: I am going to do what's right and you can't stop me from marrying your sister!

: How did Leo even get here?
: None of this makes any sense.
: I would like to take this moment to remind everyone that these are hours of our lives we are never going to get back.

: How quaint! You think your measly heroics will have any chance at all! You cannot stop the tide that is already turning you can only be... swept away.
: We'll never give in to the likes of you!
: Hahaha, muah haha, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

: Oh Althena, not Ghaleon too.
: Oh goddess, this is beyond salvageable now.
: Should we, like, leave them to it then?
: Oh yes, most definitely.
: I will regret nothing about this decision.
: Let's get out of here, no amount of silver is worth this.

: It appears we are being left behind.
: Woah! Hey guys wait up! We were just kidding!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Come back Crowetron! Jean just became a loving ninja. The game just went from good to amazing.

You need to rub Camel Pimp's face in Borgan's Gravity Bomb spell in the remake.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

A totally legit weapon you can get.

[Meanwhile in Camel Pimp's LP of Lunar: Eternal Blue]

Camel Pimp posted:

At level 8 this message pops up. And this is what the new spell does:

Well. Let's start over then.

Totally normal game behavior. :allears:

Camel Pimp posted:

...this [completely normal game mechanic] creates the "Phantom Inventory." The Phantom Inventory is... for lack of a better descriptor, an absolute mess of random items. Most of the spaces are either empty, or they have either Eye Jewel, the Battle Shadow, or the Battle Scimitar. You can give these items to Ruby.

This process is relatively stable.

Camel Pimp did do something in their LP that Crowetron can only dream of. They got rid of Ruby.

Camel Pimp posted:

Ruby where did you go?

Crowetron posted:

By the way, Happy Holidays ya buncha nerds :unsmith:

:swoon: You're the best!

Ahem, I mean...

: I thought Christmas only came once a year.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 25, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\/\

:corrupt:

PS I'm glad someone gave you that avatar, you earned it! I'd been looking for a way to make it fit and work for awhile.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Bufuman posted:

The first RPG-like games to use them were Ys II and Lunar: The Silver Star (completely forgot about that one too!)

Lunar: The Silver Star's sewer level is an earlier dungeons in the game (second or third, I think) and, IMO, isn't that bad.

But sewer dungeons now have a reputation for being one of the most if not THE most (pun intended) lovely parts of any JRPG.

The Fade is the Dragon Age equivalent to a sewer level.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Concentrated melodrama is the single most dangerous substance in the entire RPG genre.

Don't know if she's the one who established the batshit insane fire princess archetype, but Mauri existed as a character at least 15 years before Azula. Take that A:TLA!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Crowetron I just love your characterization of Mauri. :allears:

It's beautiful.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I don't want this to die!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Crowetron doesn't want this thread to die, it's just sleeping.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
This game is now available on the Playstation Network for anyone that wants to play it.

It was released on the 16th.

It's a good thing!

This is a good game.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Oh my goodness I didn’t realize it was Japan only I suck.

I wonder what chance the US has of also seeing this released here.

Sorry for the false alarm guys. :smith: I suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
I miss this LP.

• Locked thread