Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Yeah, I'm guessing she just magic'd her way to a safe standing landing.

Mostly because I'm pretty sure you have to be a werewolf to stick the landing after being shot from a cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I want to see more updates in this topic... but I honestly can't complain about your lax updating, considering I'm rear end-deep in Xillia myself.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Ghaleon: Mortal enemy of Lunar, the Goddess Althena, and the fourth wall.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yep, thank Althena we don't have to get involved in any tacky romantic subplot.

Unless we want the Remembrizer to collect cutscenes. Which was cool and all, back before YouTube was a thing, but now it's just a bit of completely unnecessary completion percentage bait.

...which means I'll be getting it and all the cutscenes anyway. Every. drat. Time. drat my completionist nature. *sob*

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mailer posted:

This is the best. Every character in your party who isn't Hiro or Lucia is the best character.

They have their moments. Lucia in the Magic Arrow was one of my favorite lines in this LP.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Power Crest is pretty great, really. You can power up elemental crests, add status attacks to your normal attacks, or if you have no other ideas, slap two Power Crests on one person (you'll be able to buy them later, if memory serves) for a boost to of their stats.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Honestly, what was even the point of the whole amnesia bit? Is there some kind of law in Japan that all RPGs must have at least one amnesiac character before the game can be released?

...I meant that as a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

Apparently, after saving the world, Jess went on to have high seas adventures! Why the gently caress didn't we get a spin-off game about that?
Judging by the picnic basket and thermos, she's just going on a high seas picnic. Which while still awesome, it probably wouldn't make for a very good game.

It'd still be better than Dragon Song though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Actually, I found Nash to be one of the more useful characters, thanks to his incredibly high speed. He's pretty much guaranteed the first turn in 95% of the game's battles that he's a part of (unless you really stack Alex or Jessica with speed-boosting gear) and he can put a real hammering on the entire enemy team once he learns Thunder Thrust. If he doesn't kill everything, the melees can usually clean up before the enemies get their turns. Or if they're grouped up, he can go with Sleep (which has a respectable AoE and can usually hit the entirety of a bunched-up group) and let the melees smack those bitches even harder. Mia, on the other hand, is more likely to go after everyone else, and while she'll probably blow everything the gently caress up but good, you'll have taken some hits, which may leave you worse off.

Granted, this is mostly in SSSC. It all goes down the drat drain in Harmony, where they appear to have hosed up the turn order coding and everyone seems to go in completely random order regardless of agility, so I'll agree that Nash is pretty much useless compared to Mia in that one.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 16, 2013

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Edvarius posted:

There truly are no depths to which Zophar will not stoop. He'll gladly perform such horrid acts as ruining the economy, cursing women and making sound like rape, or planting the idea of a "giggle den" in the minds of carnival masters.

Or giving someone in a JRPG amnesia. Truly, Zophar is history's greatest monster.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Lucia LOOKS annoyed, but you can tell she's debating heavily between finding Althena and blasting some kung-fu assassins with outer space magics.

Or she wants a burrito or something. It's hard to tell with her.

And holy hell, I never noticed Teen Jean bleeding copiously in her portrait after the dude smacks her one. Pretty harsh for a PSX RPG.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
God, please don't bring any more Drakengard in here. At least until we leave Taben's Peak. Imagine if Leonard or Arioch made their way here.

Though I will admit I'd like to see how far Nall puts his boot up Leonard's rear end for trying anything.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

I'm pretty sure Ghaleon built that throne. And don't tell me Ghaleon didn't built a throne room. Fucker probably demanded there be a throne room for him wherever he went. (Actually, he did built one in the original, I honestly forget if there was one in the Grindery in the remake, although it on top of the tower and not in the Grindery itself... although perhaps they built the base in the tow- yeah, trying to pin down precise locations in these games are futile)

You really can't win with continuity areas like this. Make them different like they did here, and people will bitch that you're inconsistent and can't remember details. Make them the same area as the original and people will complain that it's boring and that they've been through this poo poo before.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You people are silly. The Masked Man is clearly Ruby.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

It is pretty easy to forget about Charm in this game, as it doesn't work on much of anything. And you're not using Dance after a certain point anyway. Although the actual area of the effect is actually half-decent in this game, if I can recall.

(Hey, the whole reason I was desperate to rush ahead was so I couldn't steal your jokes. No prob.)

Actually, the AoE of Jean's various dances get shorter with each one. Butterfly Dance has decent range, Dream Dance slightly less so, Swarm Dance not that great, but with Soul Soul Kiss (the AoE charm dance) the range is pretty bad, to the point where enemies practically have to be on top of each other.

Also I think the assassins were immune to it in this version. I can go back and check at some point though.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rollersnake posted:

:allears:

I love Lemina's totally overblown hatred of Borgan, and Borgan's characterization in general. His reputation precedes him by so far that you already know him and hate his guts before you even lay eyes on him.

But laying eyes on him certainly won't help his case, either. Good lord, that fat fucker is hideous.

Also, this is another one of those JRPG moments where the party could get similar but better results just by rushing the drat gate. Seriously, we just killed a bunch of kung-fu cultists and Jean introduced their leader to the glorious art of Tae Kwon Leap. These guys would probably drop like flies.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Lobsterhead posted:

Is is kosher to ask general questions here? I'd like to know what everyone's favorite characters are. Mine's gotta be Leo, that well-intentioned, self-righteous, pompous doofus. I'm a sucker for characters who think they're doing good when they're actually antagonists to the real heroes.

Probably Jean. Cheerful despite a tragic past (which she had before tragic pasts became a huge thing for brooding usually-Mary-Sue heroes), prone to snarking, and kicks a lot of rear end (and faces).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Knowing that we might actually see this finished makes me happy in my pants.

...and in my shirt. And my shoes. And my head! And my arms and legs, come to think of it. So, pretty much everywhere. Yaaaaay!

What, did you think I was taking that first sentence in a dirty direction? This is the INTERNET, we have CLASS here.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You missed a free crest! I think it was by the Althena statue, hidden behind a building or something. You might want to go back and grab that one, since it could be kinda useful given that it's for Thunder magic, which no one in your party can get naturally.

Also, nice to see you back in the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How much of a slacker are these Premiers that they can't get Vane to float? Maybe they should have asked Ramus' family to help them out.

The members of the Ramus clan have an average weight of 416 lbs. Asking them for help in going AGAINST the forces of gravity sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Rusty Dagger and Magic Eye Crest. Not too useful, but not well known.

I found out about that last run. I like giving that combination to Ronfar so he can do more than heal during boss fights.

And I never knew that giving Hiro the Thunder Crest gives him Wind/Thunder combination magic (mostly because it almost always went straight to Jean, who's fast, got a decent Wisdom score for a fighter, and appreciates having magic for physical-resistant enemies). I always thought you needed a Wind Crest to go with the Thunder one for that. Neat!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Simply Simon posted:

This "there are combinations?" talk reminds me of when I played Golden Sun and was utterly baffled to find out that mixing Djinns gives people other classes with other magic. Though in Golden Sun, it's incredibly annoying for two reasons: 1) You NEED it for like one or two things because it's the only way to get Growth magic to make a plant ladder somewhere, but the game never tells you, and 2) it's totally useless otherwise, afair.

To be fair, there are some combinations that result in some pretty sick characters with high stats and great Psynergy skills. Unfortunately, mixing Djinn will almost always result in at least one gimped character. I never did find any combinations that gave a good unique character without also creating one or two people that were completely useless. So I usually just stick to giving everyone Djinn from their own element for simplicity's sake.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I've long since accepted that fanservice getting in the way of story is the price I have to pay to play/read/watch cool poo poo from Japan, and I've been much happier ever since I stopped bitching about it. Relax and just enjoy yourself.

...not in THAT way. Pervert.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

No one cares.

Here, let's talk about this instead.

Why DOESN'T he rock and roll all night? Get with the program, Hiro!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

: "What is up with these people? This town is weirder than Lucia trying to be cool."

: "Currency dictates many aspects of my everyday life."

: "...sweetie, just go stand over there for a while, okay?"

: "Words!"

This is totally both hilarious and adorable. Never change, Lucia.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 30, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

In this version he's slightly tankier but about Ronfar speed iirc.

Good physcial stats but poor magic and speed. He's essentially this game's Kyle, but with even more moves. Granted, Kyle still did pretty well with only 4 attacks (one of which was useless because it was one of them "attack anything surrounding you WITHOUT moving to the nearest enemy" and thus was likely to whiff because of his crap speed), but he really could've used a screen-clearer like Leo's got. Plus Leo's ultimate sword attack heals him for a not-insignificant percentage of the damage he deals, making him even MORE of a freaking tank.

Also, if you'll recall, Inferno Ghouls were the monsters chasing Hiro and Ruby through the ruins in the game's introductory chase scene. Probably a good thing they decided running was the smart move.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 9, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

p4vl posted:

This is whole thread is only now moving on to Disc 2? Holy Jumpin' loving Jesus, no wonder people start but don't finish LP's of these games. You're a better man than I, Crowetron.

Part of that is because of a point where he didn't update for like 3 months. Hopefully we run into no more of those, because I really like this LP.

EDIT: Oh, and there was another delay of 2 months sometime later. Croweton, dude, what do you have to say for yourself?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 26, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Rainuwastaken posted:

"Beep boop, I am not LP Bot, and have a life to attend to"?

If one has to take a break due to real life events, or even if they simply don't want to update (because sometimes playing the game is no longer fun, especially since posting screenshots and coming up with witty musings isn't as easy as some people make it look), that's perfectly fine. A simple heads up would be appreciated though, so I know it'll simply be a while before another update, rather than wondering if they chose to abandon the thread.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
This really is where the game starts to go from great to amazing. Can't wait for the next update. :allears:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

I think the thread would've called it right away if I left your voice clips in.

I think pretty much everyone called it as it is. It's not exactly a huge twist, given how prevalent the old "benevolent powerful figure turns out to be evil" trope is. Hell, it was the main plot twist of the first game with Ghaleon there.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Fang of JUSTICE! :black101:

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 22, 2014

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Flytrap posted:

The best plot twist of all; you help exorcize a spirit from someone only to find that the raging lunatic is the real personality.

I think there was something like this in X-Men Evolution. actually. Long story short, Professor X's son had multiple personalities, and Xavier ended up mind-diving to try and drive out all but the normal, sane personality, which he apparently does, only to find out that the evil personality switched places (somehow) and X just basically wiped out his son's real personality, leaving only the evil one.

At least, that's how TV Tropes has it. I haven't watched the series in ages and don't remember that arc.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
You people are bonkers. Mystere is obviously the current incarnation of the real Althena.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

Not enough.

There's never enough Mystere.

Of course not. Mystere falls under the Dakka Classification, where there can never be enough, for if there were ever "enough", that would imply that adding MORE would be "too much", and THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH MYSTERE.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Chokes McGee posted:

It's me, I'm Mystere. Sorry, everyone.

I am Spartacus Mystere!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Well, at least Jean got to jump A railing. Er, after Lucia blew it the gently caress up.

Borgan the Black smells so much that I can smell it from in my computer. Even the internet is not enough to filter that horror.

Anyway, love the record amount of unique dialog. Keep up the good and hilarious work!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

CaptainScraps posted:

Somewhere there's a pilot for a Mystere TV show with Ghaleon as the villain.

The only question would be who plays the brainy conservative to his wacky liberal. I vote Lucia. And Lunn would be the police chief that keeps telling them off.

: "You two are out of order! We are supposed to kung fu the monsters, not become them! If you continue in this foolishness, I will be taking your badges!"

: "You cannot take the badge of JUSTICE ITSELF!"

: "While I will continue to fight crime and those that commit it, I would appreciate your being more cautious. I am to retire in approximately 3,873 years."

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I also hear that you don't get to choose which enemies your characters target for attacks. I don't care what kind of reasons were behind that decision, it's still quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Y'know, pestering people for updates on things like this is a good way to kill their drive entirely. I've seen it happen too often.

Then again, Crowetron has taken 2 multi-month "breaks" already. Perhaps a good kick in the pants is just what he needs.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

CmdrKing posted:

It'd probably have helped some, but... wellll, it might be better to wait a bit to get into that actually. I think there really IS a plan at work here, and it's not one that Lucia would have understood, but just having Nall be on the lookout for Zophar and Lucia and ready to help them, rather than hanging out on the edges like he is here, would have at least made things go smoother.

I dunno, that kind of conflicts with the whole "I want humans to stand on their own two feet rather than rely on me for loving EVERYTHING," deal that was half the reason she became a human in the first place (the other half being that she's just plain sick of being the goddess). One could argue that she simply had faith that humanity would overcome anything that came at it. Cheesy as it is, it's the kind of tripe trope that JRPG developers love, so it's entirely possible.

• Locked thread