Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bankers don't know jack poo poo. Yeah sure we're just going to detach interest rates completely from the USA, ok mate you've had just about enough for tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Femtosecond posted:

poo poo is gonna lift off if this happens

Take with a grain of salt as always. Bankers were also expecting rate cuts in Fall 2023.

With the recent inflation numbers we've been seeing tho, the environment is more ready for it.

CONTINUE BUYING HOUSES AND TAKING ON DEBT, YOU WILL BE ABLE TO REFINANCE NEXT YEAR

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Femtosecond posted:

poo poo is gonna lift off if this happens

Take with a grain of salt as always. Bankers were also expecting rate cuts in Fall 2023.

With the recent inflation numbers we've been seeing tho, the environment is more ready for it.

That's an incredibly bold claim from Desjardins. The bond market, which has been overly optimistic about cuts ever since the first hike in this cycle, doesn't expect rates to drop that low at any point in the next decade. Rates are not dropping that far that fast without some apocalyptically bad numbers coming out of the economy in the next couple of quarters. And that scenario certainly does not point to number go up.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

2.5 per cent by the end of 2025 seems particularly aggressive to me.

The fact that inflation, minus housing, is now well within the BoC's range of acceptability does now give them due reason to consider cutting. The fact that housing is now the part dominating inflation should make them consider it too?

I could see them cutting a 1/4 point and soaking there until fall and reevaluating then.

IMO the economy is not great, but I'm not sure we're at the "economy is imploding" point where the Bank is pushed into severe rate cuts.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It would be nice if the government was able to supply low-interest money for housing construction.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Femtosecond posted:

The fact that inflation, minus housing, is now well within the BoC's range of acceptability does now give them due reason to consider cutting. The fact that housing is now the part dominating inflation should make them consider it too?

I hope nobody at the BoC is thinking that rate cuts are going to somehow lower housing inflation by spurring a massive wave of new construction instead of doing what they always do, which is let people take on more debt and drive up housing costs.

Baronjutter posted:

It would be nice if the government was able to supply low-interest money for housing construction.

They could make some kind of national bank, or even a housing and mortgage corporation.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Our house is 2/3rds on one mortgage rate and 1/3rd on another much higher mortgage due to porting and planning the 2nd one to expire at the same time as the first one.

I mathed out that our combined interest rate is 3.7%. Will they cut that far by the time we renew? (a little over a year)
Seems unlikely.

This cut by half prediction sounds ridiculous to me.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Remember when we had years and years of ultra low interest rates but no one could get any new homes built because of concerns about parking and shadows? Good times.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://x.com/michaelgeller/status/1761912117253562813?s=46&t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Makes sense.

Banks are like "we'll lend you [large amount of money] but we want it back immediately." Results in creating the product that sells the fastest. That'll be a high demand, relatively low priced product.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Lol, Lmao

quote:

One of the purchasers of a unit in a downtown building subsidized for first-time homebuyers already owned six single-family homes in the Victoria area worth more than $7 million, says a civil suit filed by B.C. Housing.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Why yes, this is my first time buying a seventh home. Why do you ask?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

MeinPanzer posted:

Why yes, this is my first time buying a seventh home. Why do you ask?
Oh, I thought it meant first time buyer in this building. I'm sure you get people making that mistake all the time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
moved into our new place today and already had two random people in the new building ask if we bought or were renters

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Toronto council is starting to look at anti-renoviction bylaws like Hamilton apparently has, hmm. That could be quite good, but we’re in hellworld…

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cold on a Cob posted:

moved into our new place today and already had two random people in the new building ask if we bought or were renters

There's a good reason for this, owners want other owner-occupied units because investors having voting power or, god loving forbid, influence on the condo board is rear end. I don't think it's like "oh god, a renter" anymore. I have nothing against renters, I have something against the people they're renting from, who are overdue for a home call from kindly Dr. Guillotine.

And if you're a renter, I'd say you'd want to be one in a building that's majority owner-occupied, because then the people making the decisions that affect livability have their own comfort at stake.

Speaking of stakes, we should consider burning landlords at them.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 7, 2024

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

At the very least, this was just a pilot, and for projects moving forward they're vetting buyers much more thoroughly. (And they undertook an audit to claw back the condos from the fraudulent buyers.) I was surprised that it was so loosely run the first time around, but then I realized I'd skimmed over this sentence:

quote:

Initially brought in under a B.C. Liberal government, the program had few rules when it was launched, he said.

Oh, well duh I guess.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

There's a good reason for this, owners want other owner-occupied units because investors having voting power or, god loving forbid, influence on the condo board is rear end. I don't think it's like "oh god, a renter" anymore. I have nothing against renters, I have something against the people they're renting from, who are overdue for a home call from kindly Dr. Guillotine.

And if you're a renter, I'd say you'd want to be one in a building that's majority owner-occupied, because then the people making the decisions that affect livability have their own comfort at stake.

Sadly in my experience I've found people in condo buildings to very much be incredibly classist against renters and didn't want them around, prematurely blaming their existence for all sorts of imagined hypothetical misfortunes.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 7, 2024

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Also lol at the paraphrasing of the court filing by that realtor who brokered all this fraud.

She didn't personally profit in any way from brokering the sale of $3M+ of property, or from buying a condo for herself at 12% below market!
Also the condo she bought is totally her primary residence. She definitely doesn't live in any of the other $2.5M of housing she owns!
Also she just doesn't understand English very well. This was all a big mistake resulting from miscommunications.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

Sadly in my experience I've found people in condo buildings to very much be incredibly classist against renters and didn't want them around, prematurely blaming their existence for all sorts of imagined hypothetical misfortunes.

Well, I hate the consequences of someone renting. Which is that there's some stupid, rich cocksucker making money off the renter, with voting privileges, who has every reason to reduce his expenses, and no reason to make the building more livable.

The renters themselves are not an issue, I would say. Everyone who lives here has more in common with each other than any of us have in common with a loving parasite bastard landlord. If it were up to me, non-residents would be prohibited from being on condo boards by federal law, and from voting during AGMs.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also lol at the paraphrasing of the court filing by that realtor who brokered all this fraud.

She didn't personally profit in any way from brokering the sale of $3M+ of property, or from buying a condo for herself at 12% below market!
Also the condo she bought is totally her primary residence. She definitely doesn't live in any of the other $2.5M of housing she owns!
Also she just doesn't understand English very well. This was all a big mistake resulting from miscommunications.

All her clients that bought in that building also just happened to lie about/obfuscate their income and other properties, by mistake. I'm glad it's all coming to light, it's just so very BC.

Christie Clark's Condos for Low Net Worth Landholders

large hands fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 7, 2024

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

PT6A posted:

Well, I hate the consequences of someone renting. Which is that there's some stupid, rich cocksucker making money off the renter, with voting privileges, who has every reason to reduce his expenses, and no reason to make the building more livable.

The renters themselves are not an issue, I would say. Everyone who lives here has more in common with each other than any of us have in common with a loving parasite bastard landlord. If it were up to me, non-residents would be prohibited from being on condo boards by federal law, and from voting during AGMs.

I understand the fear in that they consider that renters don't have a stake in common property and are less likely to be concerned about the overall state of the building.
That said, I don't think this holds very well at the moment given how difficult it is to find affordable rentals. Absolutely no one wants to move.

Like you say, I would have far more concern about non-resident owners who can actually influence things and will almost definitely vote against anything that costs them money for any reason.

As for the scamming realtor. Hilarious try to end run around contracts by claiming to not understand them. I know of no place where you can avoid breach of contract by way of ignorance. That would be a pretty neat trick to get out of any contract.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Someone in my work Slack just asked whether she could use the first time homebuyers account she filled to buy a rental property. :crackping:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
The idea constantly perpetuated that renters don't have a concern about their community or the quality of the building they live in is exactly the sort of classist bullshit I'm talking about. I've witnessed resident owners treat their homes like absolute garbage and fight every single strata increase or defer maintenance until things start falling apart. I've been in more than one home while looking to buy in the past that smelled awful, had mold, rancid food in the fridge, water damage, holes in the walls, etc etc. Just absolutely loving disgusting - and this was people trying to SELL their goddamn homes.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Cold on a Cob posted:

The idea constantly perpetuated that renters don't have a concern about their community or the quality of the building they live in is exactly the sort of classist bullshit I'm talking about. I've witnessed resident owners treat their homes like absolute garbage and fight every single strata increase or defer maintenance until things start falling apart. I've been in more than one home while looking to buy in the past that smelled awful, had mold, rancid food in the fridge, water damage, holes in the walls, etc etc. Just absolutely loving disgusting - and this was people trying to SELL their goddamn homes.

100% this. For sure the people violating code, ripping out load bearing studs, and caulking electrical systems in place give a gently caress about their local greengrocer /s. Some of the houses I've seen my friends buy in Toronto are loving death traps.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was reading something years ago about the whole "renters treated like 2nd class citizens or worse" in condo buildings. So many owners interviewed would of course go on about how renters don't seem to care about the building, can be louder and don't seem to value harmony with neighbours, don't maintain their units well enough and so on. Then they interviewed the renters and pretty much all of them initially made an effort to be good neighbours but were treated like such unwanted scum by the owners that they just stopped giving a gently caress. When you know you're hated either way simply for renting, why bother trying?

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

This attitude is probably a big part of the reason a lot of homeowners (and aspiring homeowners) are dead set against the construction of higher density housing.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Baronjutter posted:

Note: I'm making a joke here.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I was briefly on a strata council and my ire was reserved solely for the landlords. Half the time they didn’t even give renters a chance to get along with their neighbours, they simply wouldn’t tell them about any building rules.

They also shouldn’t get a vote.

Want to spend money to make the property nicer to live in (signage)? NO.
Want to make life worse for residents but maybe “protect your property value” (pet restrictions)? YES.

I guess it was a blessing in disguise none of them wanted to do any work so they hardly showed up on council at all.

Baronjutter posted:

don't maintain their units well enough

This isn’t the renter’s responsibility. :sigh:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

kaom posted:

This isn’t the renter’s responsibility. :sigh:

Exactly. As a renter I am not responsible for repairing fixtures or appliances and if I do let the unit fall into a state of disrepair due to my actions I can be evicted. Despite this I have made repairs in the past; partly due to covid and partly due to negligent landlords and condo property managers. For example, in the last decade I have repaired my door strike plate, fixed a leaky dishwasher, replacing an oil clogged range hood filter (fire hazard!), remounted some kitchen cabinet doors (wood filler ftw), and patched a wall to re-mount a towel rack.

Hell, my lease says I'm not even allowed to paint or mount my tv on the wall but it also says I'm responsible for any repairs less than $100 lmao. All of this is illegal under the Ontario RTA and I could technically demand my landlord change my dead lightbulbs, not that I would get anywhere doing so.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

My philosophy is I want to spend the least amount of time possible interacting with my landlord, kicking up a fuss about spackling some dry wall doesn’t fit well into that philosophy so for stuff like that I’d rather just get it done. I mean yeah if the toilet breaks or there’s a leak then the landlord is 100% going to shell out for it, but small poo poo nah it’s not worth it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

More evidence that housing filtering is real.

https://twitter.com/IDoTheThinking/status/1766504632451219824
https://www.minneapolisfed.org/article/2024/how-new-apartments-create-opportunities-for-all

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My experience trying to buy a house so far:

Owner: Give me $400,000
Me: OK
Owner: No

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Listing prices are marketing, not economics.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Less so in the exurbs but a lot of owners are delusional

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

COPE 27 posted:

My experience trying to buy a house so far:

Owner: Give me $400,000
Me: OK
Owner: No

try baking them some cookies

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Listing prices are just negotiating starts. Only thing that matters is the actual sales price.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Only if there's a buyer willing to pay that price.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
At least it's fun watching realtors having to drag potential buyers to showings that go nowhere.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
In Scotland, where I just bought a house, all offers are final, all bidding is blind, and you have to pay any difference between listed price and accepted offer in cash. It’s also really hard to get mortgages for more than the independent valuation of a property.

After hearing about the nightmare of buying a house in BC from friends and family, navigating the whole system here was really refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

COPE 27 posted:

Only if there's a buyer willing to pay that price.

if there’s no buyer, then it’s not a sale price, because there was no sale?