Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

Aside from the much needed housing, the best part about Sen̓áḵw is absolutely how much it makes the residents of Kits Point furious.

Whoah, kind of burying the lede that they're not upset because it's big towers, they're upset because they're horribly racist.

I guess indigenous people are only allowed to build cedar plank houses. Otherwise they're ruining the noble savage vibe for white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

Whoah, kind of burying the lede that they're not upset because it's big towers, they're upset because they're horribly racist.

I guess indigenous people are only allowed to build cedar plank houses. Otherwise they're ruining the noble savage vibe for white people.

When I lived in BC the number 1 excuse people used for racism was that FN don't live the same way they did in the 1600's.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

Fwiw I'm sure that the residents of Kits Point and Point Grey would be 100% against any project of this scale regardless of who made it, so dipping into some racism as part of their opposition talking points is probably a result of grasping at straws and trying to find any and all talking points they can throw at it.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

If we want to give Gordon Price a bit of benefit, there was a bit more context with his full quote here. In the full quote it's clear he's expressing some cynicism, as an design minded urbanist, of projects he views as lousy from a design pov and shamelessly capitalist in being oriented to extracting max wealth. Fair enough but that's the right of these FNs to do such things. I do think tho it's fair for like architects to look at these projects and be able to say that they're bad from that pov. (like he's right, Tsawwassen Mills is absolutely garbage)

quote:

Referring more generally to Indigenous-led developments in Metro Vancouver, Price said he believes projects run contrary to his understanding of the land back movement.

“You cannot say that our connection to the land is so deeply meaningful that we call ourselves land defenders and [then] build Tsawwassen Mills,” referring to a mall project on Tsawwassen territory in Delta, B.C.

“When you’re building 30, 40 high rises out of concrete … it’s not an Indigenous way of building. It is the way that we’ve been doing it in Vancouver for 50 years,” he continued.

But beyond with his cynicism that the Squamish are no different from any other Vancouver developer. Well yeah. IMO here he's creating a strawman in suggesting FNs are disingenuous in being environmentalists one day and capitalists the next. In my view FNs have been quite clear in that they want land back in order to exploit and improve and benefit from the land. Price is an old gen Xer at this point so it's likely he's a bit bamboozled by past campaigns where environmentalist gen xers stood in protest with FNs. I dunno man I guess you weren't paying attention closely enough?

But this other quote, uhhhh yea there's no real way to give him an out out of this one.

quote:

Price said another “fundamental” question is whether there is any “democratic accountability” in the project for non-Indigenous residents who cannot vote in Squamish nation elections.

“The people [who] are going to be developing the land, this combination of private and Indigenous? Who are they? Well, they’re not people you’re going to be voting for,” he said.

He acknowledged Indigenous people were not allowed to vote for colonial governments when Sen̓áḵw was taken over in the 1900s, but said the present-day power switch isn’t the answer.

“Look, I’ll say it. It’s basically, ‘You f—ked us, now we f—k you.’ That’s no basis for reconciliation. That’s not gonna work. That’s awful,” Price said.

full podcast here https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/land-back-podcast-episode-5-senakw-development

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 17, 2024

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thinking there might be some qualitative AND quantitative differences there in the loving going on bud

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

So what he's angry that indigenous people are allowed to be as ruthless and uncaring when it comes to their private property as your typical white capitalist? That is lolworthy indeed.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

If we want to give Gordon Price a bit of benefit, there was a bit more context with his full quote here. In the full quote it's clear he's expressing some cynicism, as an design minded urbanist, of projects he views as lousy from a design pov and shamelessly capitalist in being oriented to extracting max wealth. Fair enough but that's the right of these FNs to do such things. I do think tho it's fair for like architects to look at these projects and be able to say that they're bad from that pov. (like he's right, Tsawwassen Mills is absolutely garbage)

But beyond with his cynicism that the Squamish are no different from any other Vancouver developer. Well yeah. IMO here he's creating a strawman in suggesting FNs are disingenuous in being environmentalists one day and capitalists the next. In my view FNs have been quite clear in that they want land back in order to exploit and improve and benefit from the land. Price is an old gen Xer at this point so it's likely he's a bit bamboozled by past campaigns where environmentalist gen xers stood in protest with FNs. I dunno man I guess you weren't paying attention closely enough?

But this other quote, uhhhh yea there's no real way to give him an out out of this one.

full podcast here https://www.cbc.ca/newsinteractives/features/land-back-podcast-episode-5-senakw-development

That's kind of what I was looking for in that piece. Someone coming at it purely from a bad design standpoint. But his angle came from attacking "land back" and that it's not fair to ask for your land back and then do things that I don't like on it. Declaring something is not an indigenous way of building really rubs me the wrong way. They're indigenous and that's what they're building, so I guess you're wrong bucko.

And uh yeah, why would you get to vote in the elections of a different nation and influence what they do on their land, I don't see how that's loving anyone. Part of reconciliation and land back is accepting that they're their own people and if they want to put some hyper-capitalist poo poo on it, that's their right. Dictating to them what the bounds of what they can do are, in the context of "being indigenous" enough is ridiculous.

I consider this another facet of the tendency of many Canadians to see indigenous peoples as frozen in time, a culture for the museums, not for current times. They want to go look at their regalia and art in a gallery, maybe visit their nation to see traditional housing and dances. They've disney-fied them in their heads into not being real, so they get real upset when indigenous people have the temerity to participate in society and exercise their rights in a way that actually affects them.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
If you thought Sen̓áḵw was fun, wait until we get deeper into the Jericho Lands project. :haw:

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Jericho is def uhhh big in size but from a design POV it's a rather straight forward typical sort of Olympic Village/Yaletown tower on podium stuff of the sort we've seen before. It's controversial only really because where it is, amongst the rich and they'd NIMBY absolutely anything that's a tower. It makes sense that Jericho is somewhat more typical given that it's a city lands project and needs to go through city processes. But yea way more potential here for nimbys to influence things here since the city has a say. They may get louder as things go along.

Sen̓áḵw is a weirdo sort of project because the Squamish can do whatever. The main remarkable thing that has got all the attention is the heights but there's been weirder still things mentioned quietly that rang alarm bells for me, like having all the retail be underground to maximize park space, which seems like a terrible 1960s era "tower in the park" idea to me.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I'm 2 blocks from Sen̓áḵw, I welcome the density but uh the surrounding infrastructure and routed traffic and lack of parking are going to be an absolute shitshow yikes

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Femtosecond posted:

Jericho is def uhhh big in size but from a design POV it's a rather straight forward typical sort of Olympic Village/Yaletown tower on podium stuff of the sort we've seen before. It's controversial only really because where it is, amongst the rich and they'd NIMBY absolutely anything that's a tower. It makes sense that Jericho is somewhat more typical given that it's a city lands project and needs to go through city processes. But yea way more potential here for nimbys to influence things here since the city has a say. They may get louder as things go along.

Are the Jericho Lands a great redevelopment project? Yup. Should the new Broadway Skytrain terminate there instead of Arbutus? Definitely.

Will the NIMBYs continue to rage until they coalesce into a white-hot ball of racist indignation?

A B S O L U T E L Y

Hubbert fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 19, 2024

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scorchy posted:

I'm 2 blocks from Sen̓áḵw, I welcome the density but uh the surrounding infrastructure and routed traffic and lack of parking are going to be an absolute shitshow yikes

The city isn't proactive enough to make transit better in the area, hopefully they'll be forced into it after the fact. But chasing more parking is a dead end, the city doesn't really have the capacity for more cars. More and more projects should be providing low or nearly no parking.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Hubbert posted:

If you thought Sen̓áḵw was fun, wait until we get deeper into the Jericho Lands project. :haw:

Yeah really. ʔəy̓ alməxʷ/Iy̓ álmexw is also the poster child for indigenous-led high-density development. gently caress anyone who comes out and says that this isn't what the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh people want, or that it isn't in line with their cultural values.

quote:

What Was Heard
MST-CLC has been inspired by the input and knowledge shared at many events by MST Nations’ Community Members.
Some of the themes that have been brought up most consistently during engagement include:
• Remembering the history of ʔəyalməxʷ/Iy ҆ álmexw ҆ and celebrating those who lived there through sharing art and stories
• Integrating MST culture throughout ʔəyalməxʷ/Iy ҆ álmexw/ ҆ Jericho Lands, including through building design, artwork, signage, street and place names, and welcome posts
• Incorporating nature and natural elements into the design and creating outdoor spaces for people to visit and gather, including lookouts on the ridge, trail networks, community gardens with food and traditional plants, and play areas for sport and families
• Representing the spirit of the longhouse through building design and creating places for community to come together
• Prioritizing climate resiliency in building design and utilizing sustainable building practices
• Celebrating the opportunities that MST working together would bring for the economic, training, and cultural future of Community Members

https://syc.vancouver.ca/projects/jericho-lands/jericho-lands-phase-4-public-engagement-summary-digital.pdf

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Baronjutter posted:

The city isn't proactive enough to make transit better in the area, hopefully they'll be forced into it after the fact. But chasing more parking is a dead end, the city doesn't really have the capacity for more cars. More and more projects should be providing low or nearly no parking.

Yeah I appreciate the sentiment behind it (I don't have a car myself and I live around there) but when they plop 9000 people into a previously light industrial area and not give them adequate parking per unit, it's just going to be a headache that spills over into every surrounding neighbourhood, can't get around it. It won't be just the people living there, there's residential and commercial visitors too.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

If Vancouverites are lucky the Squamish will make enough noise that the Province/Translink will consider throwing some money toward the long ignored Vancouver street car project, as early drawings have included a spur station on site.

quote:

Just to the west, Squamish First Nation’s Senakw development plans for their 12-acre reserve at the south end of the Burrard Street Bridge highlight the possibility of a streetcar to help meet the major transportation demand of the high-density, car-light housing complex. Towers on the small site are planned to contain a total of 6,000 homes, enough to house as many as 9,000 people, but only about 10% of the homes will be provided with a vehicle parking stall.

The city’s 2018 streetcar study did not consider Senakw as a factor for routing and ridership, as the development was revealed and approved by the First Nation in late 2019 — after the study’s completion.

The First Nation has set aside a small parcel of the easternmost end of its reserve for a streetcar stop, which can be linked to the network by a one-block northern extension of Route One. This streetcar stop would also have a dual purpose of serving both Senakw and Concord Pacific’s potential major redevelopment of the former Molson brewery.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/downtown-vancouver-false-creek-streetcar-route-map

It's hard to see how the streetcar plan would happen without serious Squamish advocacy (and/or the Squamish throwing some money in themselves) considering that there's such incredibly high demand for rapid transit expansion elsewhere, and the Province has seemed satisfied to do projects one at a time. There would be a lot of cities and projects pushing to be first in line before yet another Vancouver project, things like the North Shore, To Newton, hell even Port Coquitlam has been agitating for a spur line. And of course in Vancouver itself, finishing the line to UBC (which would yield a stop at Jericho), and a new line along 41st.

Edit:
Re: Parking.

This area isn't toooo far away from the West End (ie. it too is within walking distance of Downtown) and like in the West End some 45% of people walk to work. So with that being said Senakw is def a project that could be car lite and could attract people that have no car and just want to walk/bike/bus into Downtown for work/stuff.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 19, 2024

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Scorchy posted:

Yeah I appreciate the sentiment behind it (I don't have a car myself and I live around there) but when they plop 9000 people into a previously light industrial area and not give them adequate parking per unit, it's just going to be a headache that spills over into every surrounding neighbourhood, can't get around it. It won't be just the people living there, there's residential and commercial visitors too.

I think it's just playing into their hand to take parking as a serious issue. We must stop designing around cars, we must remove all parking minimums. Continuing to cater to cars is destroying our cities. I see it over and over again where transit agencies get peanuts and struggle to support an adequate level of support, meanwhile the cities have no problem blowing 150 million to widen 8 km of road. Never mind the screaming and wailing that occurs when someone suggests spending a few million to expand cycling and walking routes. We need to be shrinking road width, keeping streets as streets, and funding design based on people not vehicles.

Our municipal governments have no vision and on the rare occasions they do, they are hamstrung by their province.

Segue
May 23, 2007

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/renters-pickle-boys-bc-vancouver-squamish-burnaby-affordable-housing-1.7146707

For many in B.C. finding a rental has become a full-time job, competition is fierce

Renters are selling themselves to landlords, with Metro Vancouver rents Canada’s highest

CBC News posted:

For the past seven years, Forsyth has paid $1,700 a month for a unit in Squamish.

When his new neighbours told him their rent was $2,900, he got worried. Then came the dreaded eviction notice in December. He's since applied for dozens of places. This week, he got a lead on a unit in Langley that he hopes works out.

In the meantime, he's agreed to pay a higher rent to stay in place for now, and he predicts his cost of living will likely triple.

I love how this eviction is just presented as something you can't do anything about. Just gotta pay more money to prevent arbitrary home loss. Oh wait-

CBC News posted:

In B.C., no-fault evictions are only permitted if the landlord or their family is moving into the unit, or it's being demolished, renovated or sold, and they require several months' notice. The province had the highest rate of no-fault evictions in Canada, according to UBC research in 2023.

I'm glad for once they're focusing on renters even if it's pretending that lovely landlord speculators are Acts of God

CBC News posted:

Burnaby chef Kumariah Shunmugavadivel and his wife Niranjana Kumariahare also moving, with their nine-month-old, to take over a bakery business.

It took them months to find a rental in Burnaby, and now they must move to Vancouver Island, where they are struggling to find anything family-friendly for $2,300 a month. He says he's never seen anything like this.

"I worked in the States, I worked in Bermuda islands and different countries. But I have never had this kind of competition for renting a house anywhere," he said.

The article later goes into some of the major initiatives underway that won't pay off for years but I can only hope it works.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Uh yeah, what the hell is this.

quote:

When his new neighbours told him their rent was $2,900, he got worried. Then came the dreaded eviction notice in December. He's since applied for dozens of places. This week, he got a lead on a unit in Langley that he hopes works out.

In the meantime, he's agreed to pay a higher rent to stay in place for now, and he predicts his cost of living will likely triple.

You can't just get an eviction notice. Even fixed term tenancies without a vacate clause turn into month-to-month tenancies. The fact that they 'let' him stay by paying more indicates to me there's no good faith intent to occupy, nor is it a renoviction.
How did this reporter not dig into this more, like wtf eviction notice did they send to this guy?

This dude has gotten scammed out of his home for sure.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Fidelitious posted:

Uh yeah, what the hell is this.

You can't just get an eviction notice. Even fixed term tenancies without a vacate clause turn into month-to-month tenancies. The fact that they 'let' him stay by paying more indicates to me there's no good faith intent to occupy, nor is it a renoviction.
How did this reporter not dig into this more, like wtf eviction notice did they send to this guy?

This dude has gotten scammed out of his home for sure.

What does any of this matter? The renter can sue and, in 2-5 years, get a private apology not to exceed 3 sentences and a $20 gift card to Tim Horton?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MickeyFinn posted:

What does any of this matter? The renter can sue and, in 2-5 years, get a private apology not to exceed 3 sentences and a $20 gift card to Tim Horton?

I mean the RTB does actually have teeth in terms of bad faith evictions, but the guy may be screwed by having gone along with it in the way he did.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"Indigenous ways of building" is a white bullshit concept for morons. It's an Indigenous way of building, if it's a way of building and Indigenous people are doing it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The glass half racist view is that they're just getting better at the hwhite way of exploiting the social and physical environment for in-group benefit. Assimilation was a success, good job colonizer.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MickeyFinn posted:

The RTB process does work if you know your rights and have the ability to exercise them. My point was that if he signed something all of that is out of the window.

If he had the knowledge to call BS on their eviction notice he could have simply continued to pay the previous rent as agreed and refused to leave. If they try forcible removal outside of the RTB process at that point they're into some real criminal territory.
You are unfortunately at the mercy of whatever cops they might call to physically remove you since they're generally completely ignorant of the law and pro-landlord.

Landlords count on ignorance of their tenants and willingness to "go along" as a way to do all kinds of illegal things. If you have the ability to stand your ground they're pretty out of luck.

As a landlord briefly (which I got out of as soon as possible) it took quite a bit of time to legally evict someone who had a schizophrenic episode and went to the US to apparently try to be a backup singer for Paul McCartney. The text of the law protects tenants fairly well, it's just a tad too reliant on landlords not being complete scumbags.

Lunitica
Jan 1, 2007
Lack of parking in new developments is naive. People will have vehicles to go to the mountains or other weekend trips. Lack of resident parking will just cause problems.

There are certain benefits to sfh that we should try to also include in designing high density housing to reduce the demand for sfh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I mean that's certainly an opinion, but no-parking or low-parking developments exist all over the world just fine. People adapt, norms change.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Most of my friends don't have cars. Whenever they want to go camping or whatever they rent a car from modo car coop

Now if you're a real enthusiast that is going out constantly absolutely go ahead and buy a car and rent a place with a parking spot.

But my friends maybe only go out car camping like twice a season so this is reasonable approach. They can benefit from cheaper rent at apartments with no parking.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Good times to be in the private lending biz

quote:

Canada regulator to cap number of mortgages to highly indebted borrowers

OTTAWA/TORONTO, March 22 (Reuters) - Canada's banking regulator on Friday said lenders will have to limit the number of mortgage borrowers with highly leveraged loans in their portfolios as Canadians grapple with the burden of huge debt in a challenging economic environment.

In an emailed statement, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) said it is implementing a cap on the number of mortgages a bank can lend that are larger than 4.5 times a borrower's annual income.

The loan-to-income, or LTI, measure applies to individual banks and is designed to prevent the buildup of highly leveraged loans during low interest rate periods, OSFI said.

The banks will have to monitor and manage their portfolio of underwritten mortgages every quarter, it added.

OSFI said it had considered banks' business models and that the portfolio limit, specific to each institution, would not bind any one bank's underwriting method.

"This approach allows institutions to continue competing in the same way they have been in the past on a relative basis," it said.

The Globe and Mail, which first reported the news, said the new income limit is expected to take effect in the first quarter of next year, adding it would not apply to insured loans in which the borrower has to pay for mortgage insurance because their down payment is less than 20% of the property's purchase price.

The banking regulator has already introduced new rules including a minimum qualifying rate that is 2% higher than the borrower's agreed mortgage rate to ensure consumers can withstand future interest rate changes.

Canada's big banks have also set aside more funds to cover loans that could potentially turn sour since the central bank began raising interest rates and the regulator has required to banks to show a strong capital position.

"Banks in Canada have a long history of working with their customers to keep their mortgages in good standing," Canadian Bankers Association, a top lobbying group said.

"Understanding their customers and adapting to their changing circumstances is a top priority. The industry is still assessing the impact of OSFI's policy."

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

Lunitica posted:

Lack of parking in new developments is naive. People will have vehicles to go to the mountains or other weekend trips. Lack of resident parking will just cause problems.

There are certain benefits to sfh that we should try to also include in designing high density housing to reduce the demand for sfh.

Ah, you'd fit right in on any of the myopic city councils across the country.

It's wild to me how people have cars so ingrained in their brains that they can't even imagine making changes towards a country that doesn't put cars in the priority position for every single design decision.

These are not novel ideas. Everything that is being talked about has been done before, thousands of times. All we get is the repeating refrain that it's somehow different here so it can't be done. Yes, it is different here in that no one has yet been willing to change the status quo.
Amsterdam etc. did not evade the automobile revolution. They came within a hair's breadth of paving over their canals and turning them into roads. It's not magic, it's solid policy applied over a long period of time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
People complaining about how new development will threaten the supply of free parking they’ve come to rely on remind me of Vizzini in the Princess Bride. “You’re trying to kidnap what I’ve rightfully stolen!”

You don’t have some inherent right to park your car conveniently on property you don’t own, full stop.

Lunitica
Jan 1, 2007
I am all for public transit, it should be funded and developed more.

If you want to transition people from sfh to high density which is a good thing you need to provide what they need or think they need to maintain their lifestyle and perceived freedom from dependence on public transit.

If they move in and the car sits unused in a parking spot or it is used for bikes or other storage that is good.

In Europe, even carless cities have garages and storage on the outskirts for people to keep their vehicles.

Here you are developing new and can include underground parking directly within the development.

Also North America is different in terms of scale and population and infrastructure outside of major population centers. You will not get train service to whistler like you do to zermatt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lunitica posted:

If they move in and the car sits unused in a parking spot or it is used for bikes or other storage that is good.

No, a car sitting idle in a parking spot is a terrible outcome, because that space is not free to build or maintain, and it perpetuates the belief that cars are universally necessary. And it leads to people choosing to drive because it’s available rather than because it’s necessary.

I didn’t get my license until I was 28, and lived with taxis and Zipcar and Home Depot van rentals in Toronto even with a young child who needed a car seat installed every time we took a trip. It was way less expensive than owning a car, and that was pre-Uber when ordering a cab was a lot more annoying and uncertain. Costco didn’t deliver. Pharmacies didn’t deliver. It was fine.(Then I moved to California and bought our first car, and got one when I moved back, and now my new wife and I have two cars after merging our households. We live walking distance from pretty much everything except our parents and one kid’s other house. But man those cars are baked into our lifestyle now. The brain damage is real.)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah but you can't have public transit in Whistler (because they cancelled the daily train to Vancouver in 2016).

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
imo there should not be parking minimums and on-street parking really should not be a thing. If people want parking otherwise they can pay for it themselves.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

leftist heap posted:

imo there should not be parking minimums and on-street parking really should not be a thing. If people want parking otherwise they can pay for it themselves.

they’re putting more bike lane into the busy section of the Bloor near me and people are losing their minds about losing parking. there are public parking lots a half block back from that street literally every other block for the length of it. like 5% of parking is going away. just insane car brain about it

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Lunitica posted:

Here you are developing new and can include underground parking directly within the development.

Tbf that doesn't really jive with the rapid development needed to solve the housing crisis. My understanding is the extra digging and foundation required for a several levels of underground parking can add like, a year or more to the build time of the average building.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

No street parking was one of the things about Urban Japan that was really nice on my last trip. I heard somewhere that you can't license a car without proof that you have somewhere private to park it. I'm sure that would never fly in NA but that system makes a lot of sense to me and I'd love to see us adopt that.

It would ensure that people use their garages for cars instead of junk.

A more status quo friendly amendment would be for the city to allot a single spot for every lot without a garage (or ability to have a garage) and then anything beyond that requires purchase of a parking pass.

Of course this would be impossible because taxes are bad so :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Femtosecond posted:

A more status quo friendly amendment would be for the city to allot a single spot for every lot without a garage (or ability to have a garage) and then anything beyond that requires purchase of a parking pass.

Of course this would be impossible because taxes are bad so :shrug:

That’s basically how Toronto works, I pay a yearly fee to park in my driveway (technically a parking pad because it doesn’t lead to a garage, I think?) and my wife has a street parking pass. Our shared driveway is wide enough for 3 cars if we and our neighbours are careful, so we can avoid using a street spot most of the time.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

yeah the cost of a underground parking spot is like tens of thousands of dollars. I forget the real number but maybe 40k+? (Probably more now with inflation).

Probably the most impactful thing we can do to help renters right now is build housing faster and one of the best ways to do that is to make it cheaper and faster to build. A really good way to do that is to remove like hundreds of thousands (millions?) in costs from the development by getting rid of the underground parking.

If you ever watch an apartment get built the foundation and parking takes absolutely forever. Once they're above the ground the thing goes up crazy fast. Get rid of the parking and we can get apartments built in a fraction of the time.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Femtosecond posted:

If you ever watch an apartment get built the foundation and parking takes absolutely forever. Once they're above the ground the thing goes up crazy fast. Get rid of the parking and we can get apartments built in a fraction of the time.

Parking doesn't take that much to build - it's all foundation work at the bottom of the building that's the main issue. Unless you mean digging out the space (which they have to do anyways for the foundation work and drainage/facilities) so that really doesn't add much time in the whole project. Once the foundation is done and ready/stable it's about a floor a week including the parking floors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

unknown posted:

Parking doesn't take that much to build - it's all foundation work at the bottom of the building that's the main issue. Unless you mean digging out the space (which they have to do anyways for the foundation work and drainage/facilities) so that really doesn't add much time in the whole project. Once the foundation is done and ready/stable it's about a floor a week including the parking floors.

Right like there would def be a bunch of digging and concrete pouring in any project but surely the scale of digging and pouring more to build a multi-level parking thing is way worse than a relatively more simple foundation?

(I dunno I'm not a civil engineer)

I'm just thinking like some 120 unit tower with like 2 levels of basement parking versus one with just a foundation.

Just thinking about it now imagine how much less the maintenance fees would be too for a strata with no parking. Less concrete woes, no garage door fees, less power wash cleaning.

I dunno maybe a no parking building would still have a basement for garbage, storage and other building technical equipment...