Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I just sold my apartment in Burnaby (closes next week) for a fraction more than I paid for it four years ago, and I feel like I'm coming out lucky. Of course, now that I'm out I hope the market just completely tanks. Seems like renting for awhile is in my future... wish I'd done that for the last four years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I had a baby a few months ago and the apartment just wasn't big enough, and it seemed like a good time to get out anyway and see what happens in the market. I really want a house, but prices are so crazy it just doesn't make sense. My sister bought a new house out in the burbs in Delta last year and the neighbor's identical place next to hers just sold for a hundred thousand less. It's crazy.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

Or this can happen
http://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/#sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbshttp://www.hoodwinkedhouse.com/%23sthash.NFmOAc30.dpbs

It's a horrible situation but oh god who signs away their rights :( Also he tried to call the police when he found a missing beam... seriously read this through, it just gets worse and worse for him.
Holy poo poo, I just read the whole thing. That is unbelievable.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

DailyDumSum posted:

Can someone give me the gist of this? Obviously people got ripped off, but no really sure how.

edit: Nevermind, most of the details started on page 11.

"we investigated and found out she [Meerai Cho, broker?] transfered the money to the developer, and from the investigation, we found out the developer left canada in 2013, and the land for centrium was sold twice that year. You can find that from OREA."

Ouch. Then the broker declared bankruptcy.

"In 2013, the construction site for Centrium was auctioned away to another party already. Meerai Cho had given away our money to the developer Joseph Lee, who had already fled to Korea. Meerai Cho as a trustee should not have done this, and this is considered illegal. This money, which is more than 15million (possibly twice of this amount) dollar, should be paid to Joseph lee after the construction completed. Meerai Cho shouldn’t have done this. This is possibly a plotted crime."

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Cultural Imperial posted:

Fort McKay: the Canadian town that sold itself to tar sands

http://gu.com/p/4936n?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Add

Great article about Alberta being a loving poo poo hole.

Holy poo poo this was depressing to read.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Welp, listed my lovely house in Ladner for sale today for a hilariously inflated price. I'm moving to SF next month which seems to maybe be perfect timing if the bubble is finally gonna deflate a little around here. I've been lurking this thread for two years and sweating about my house the entire time. Hopefully the market stays irrational a little longer. Anyone want a small half-renovated house built in the 60s?

ephori fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 4, 2016

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Accepted an offer on my half-finished house today after being on the market for one week for not quite double what I bought it for in 2013. In Ladner. :stare:

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
No kidding. I spent all week thinking another quake was going to suck my house into the bog before I could sell it. So glad to be getting out of here.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's less about the dollar amount of the tax itself and more about breaking the seal on potentially further taxes/penalties/investigation down the road. Vancouver just looks like a less safe target as soon as any motions are made. The tax is the canary-- even thought it's doubtful the government would ever actually do more than the absolute minimum to keep voters believing they're acting.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
How's that crazy mall doing in Tsawwassen? My sister lives in Ladner and told me there's only one entrance and people were stuck in the parking lot trying to leave for four hours last week. It sounds insane.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

namaste faggots posted:

DON'T WORRY GUYS HOOTSUITE IS REVENUE NEUTRAL

how the gently caress did it ever come to be that being revenue neutral was something to boast about? especially in a loving country that doesn't even regulate GAAP reporting?

Isn't spending as much as you make the core ethos of the Canadian dream?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
SimCity Cities: Skylines

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Baronjutter posted:

so there's no mortgage that's a bad one so long as the monthly payment is affordable.
If I had a nickel for every time I heard this I wouldn't need a mortgage.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

The Butcher posted:

Just for kicks to kill the end of my shift today I created a HAL portfolio based on all the publicly traded companies in his list, backtested from the day he posted it, Jan 30, 2015.

Assuming an equal weighting of each ticker:

HAL portfolio total return: -3.19%
US total market return: 21.58%
CDN total market return: 2.64%

Best pick: Cott Beverage Corp: 99.48%
Runner up: Maple Leaf foods: 68.45%

Worst pick: Valeant Pharmaceuticals: -89.68%
Runner up: Niko Resources: -78.00%

Winners: financials
Losers: oil/mining

Everything else, pretty mixed bag.

holy poo poo

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I sold my house in Ladner in 2016, left Canada, and became a rental dalit halfway because of this goddamn thread which I have been reading obsessively for years and I have been hearing what a huge mistake I made from my family non-stop ever since. I am absolutely starving for any news of a ceiling being reached, let alone the bottom starting to fall out. I'm hoping I can go back and buy my own house back for half price when Trump kicks me out of the US.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Rime posted:

That housing is literally 2'x6' cubicles, there's no reason for us to adopt that mode of housing here when we have alternatives.

So, van sized? :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This was unironically posted in a thread on a Vancouver development forum after a student asked what would be your ideal home:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=8502366

The poster is the most insufferable fascist weirdo I've ever seen so this is not a joke.

I too, have seen Terry Gilliam's totally literal, unironic masterpiece, Brazil. These are like the guys who think food is a hardship and long for nutritionally complete gruel.