Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

"It's selfish and unrealistic to expect to buy a house"

*literally every rental is 1 bedroom*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It loving owns that the only way to have 2 offices and a bedroom. when both people work from home is to rent half a duplex from amateur landlords who double as Canada's worst handyman and then kick you out right at 12 months when their family situation changes. 3 times in 3 years.

My partner and I make almost 200k and we have yet to live somewhere that can fill regular sized furniture and appliances.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 12, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah a "gold" plan costs like 70% of my total income tax in Canada lol and you still get bankruptcy and homelessness randomly sprinkled in

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

The 2 overpriced condos I rented were definitely cash flow negative for the owners, equity only goes so far

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My household income is apparently 95%+ percentile and we can't afford to buy a house or have a family probably ever because both of our families are poor and didn't pay for college and downpayments like our more "successful" friends.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

I once told Fortis to eat a multi million dollar loss because they tried to stick the cost of an orphaned gas line project onto the general ratepayer, because my predecessors had carefully tracked that gas line as a line item for ten years in anticipation of the day some young analyst like me would come along and throw the last shovel of dirt on them.

They are like CRA except they can also order you to redo your entire business plan at gunpoint

Masha'Allah

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

Super cool, if I hang on to this condo I can exploit the poo poo out of someone poorer than me based purely on possession of capital and not providing any kind of actual value, sounds great!

It's a special kind of stupid/evil when you exploit someone for an investment that isn't even cash flow positive.

My lovely $2800 Toronto rental would have cost about $4000 between mortgage, property taxes, and and condo fees lmao.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Well new condos are the ones going up every year. The going up every year phenomenon has a selection problem, which is that the units that aren't going up don't go on the market.

In this case you would have spent net $300,000 to have a 25 year old depreciating asset that was worth $700,000 25 years ago but now has low demand and costs you $1000+ every month. Hopefully you didn't get a single special assessment in those couple decades :) Also don't forget that every time a tenant moves out you are giving $3000 to a broker.

ROI is better in an index fund. Also then you aren't landlord scum.

e: I looked up condo prices in my city - new is averaging $580k, 15+ years old is averaging $295k lol

VVVV My job gives me a car budget of $38k and I had the cheapest car in the condo parking structure

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 9, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

There's somewhat of a relationship because of trade and capital flows but the CAD is relatively high rn so I suspect there's not as much pressure to raise rates specifically because of the fed, but we're seeing pretty high inflation in Canada and strong demand so we'll probably see a rate increase anyway.

Also it's been years since I took econ so I'm probably wrong about everything.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

You don't need a reference letter to rent what are they talking about

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I've rented in Toronto, yes you need a credit report, proof of income and your old addresses but no you do not need a letter from your landlord - that's some 1700's Russian level of serfdom we aren't at yet (barely)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

An agent is really helpful when you are flying into Toronto Friday morning and need to move on Monday.

Other than that I can't imagine using one.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Over a 25-year mortgage, that means paying in $825,000 to get a $1M property. So I guess it still makes sense, if you have nearly $3K/month in disposable income lying around.

Yeah it might be worth it if you ignore the time value of money, the risk of special assessments, and the risk that a 25 year old shoebox isn't worth a million dollars in 25 years.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

Only about 5 per cent, or one in every 20 properties in Ontario are currently inspected at any point before or after the sale, according to Len Inkster, executive secretary of the Ontario Association of Certified Home Inspectors.

Lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

If I had to spend millions of dollars without knowing whether it would kill and/or bankrupt me I simply would not buy a house.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol

The Bank of Canada Only Sees 2 Real Estate Bubbles and Vancouver Isn’t One of Them

Lmao

Lol

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Living full time in a luxury hotel compares well with buying a 2.7 million dollar home, financially speaking

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Alctel posted:

The immigration system definitely prioritizes rich immigrants though, there is literally (or was when I went through the system) an entire branch that was basically 'if you invest this much money in Canada you get to skip all the points checks (which means you have to be highly educated, have family in Canada or a job here or all three), welcome in'

its definitely not 'the' reason, but population growth from any source is going to increase housing pressure

Investor class visas are something like 5000/yr iirc.

The student to provincial nominee path definitely priveleges wealthier people on average, but it's usually wealthy for their country not wealthy for Canada. A lot of these people are suffering real economic hardship after immigrating, for the chance at a better life, which is by no means guarunteed and involves years of exploitation by predatory colleges and workplaces, and really substandard living conditions.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Actually, if we we put more and more people into inadequate houses there's no housing shortage, I am very smart.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/g...2f97904488/amp/

Let's just pretend there's no relationship between house size and family size, or household size and supply of housing and then we are no longer the worst in the G7 lol.

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 25, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My econ professor said that's why rent control is a bad thing, it leads to people being able to afford apartments without roommates so it creates a housing shortage.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Economists have bunch of contradictory philosophies depending on whether it benefits them, personally.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Did anything happen in 2020 that affected vacancies

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also the airbnb owners panicking and renting out their houses

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Owning a home does not seem to provide any insight into how property tax works AFAICT.

The whining like clockwork every year in local newspapers that it's unfair to expect homeowners to come up with thousands of dollars for their tax bill, as if they didn't have the option of paying a couple hundred a month

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

"actually the housing bubble is good because it means more tax income for cities"

This is how it should work imo

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Femtosecond posted:

With apartments there's little to differentiate between them beside location

I mean you could differentiate by having literally anything other than a 0 - 2 bedroom in a 50 year old building available for rent.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Fidelitious posted:

is someone going to write an article about someone who didn't do any roof, plumbing, or electrical work on their house for 40 years and is then shocked when the accumulated damage is going to cost 200k to repair?

Back when local papers actually had editorial in real estate sections they absolutely loved writing this story lol.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Autochrome posted:

But surely rich people who move can get family doctors? Like how does that work?

In Ontario the doctors just build a clinic in a rich area and don't register patients outside the postal code. Then, because they selected for richer / whiter / healthier patients, they switch their payment model to patient outcome instead of fee for service, and get rich!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I hadn’t heard of this. Any links that describe this practice?

My source is my own experience looking for a doctor for 4 years after moving to Ottawa.

I lived in a mixed income neighbourhood which was perceived by many people to be poor. Whenever I googled new doctor's offices they would almost invariably be in high income areas, I would call the office and ask if they were accepting new patients and the first question 100% of the time would be "what's your area code"

I find it nearly impossible to find news stores from half a decade ago, but here's a study showing how they used to be even more brazena bout this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/wealthy-may-have-an-edge-over-poor-for-medical-appointments-1.1376759

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Ottawa goon, I like what they did with the Beechwood church which was turned into condos but retained some of the architecture.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

They would take that as a compliment

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Guys the supply and the demand are both hosed and no one will do anything to fix it

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

In a rare small bit of good news, the local soup kitchen got a surge of donations after getting harassed by chuds in the Ottawa Freedumb Convoy. They are using the money to move 105 clients out of the shelter and into purpose built apartments.

https://twitter.com/sghottawa/status/1491807387136806913?t=4D2w9vOVBJFw9vGoKkqbYg&s=19

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Someone at my company just posted a resignation letter specifically referring to housing prices as the reason to move back to her country of origin

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just a reminder that there are also giant corporations throwing literally billions of dollars into buying up SFH with a view to turning them into rentals.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7950579/developer-buy-1-billion-homes-canada-housing-market/

I have no idea whether that actually makes sense in terms of what the rental market will support. My understanding on the returns on rentals is that they are not great. But that is a thing that's happening.

Then why aren't there any sfh rentals

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

But it would change the character of the neighbourhood (they might have to look at a poor)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It cuts down on corruption to pay top civil servants well.

Also someone like a hospital CEO could make orders of magnitude more on the open market, but with a sufficently generous compensation it's possible to hire someone with the requisite skills.

This is not to say that no one is being overpaid, but first let's ban private ownership of capital and then worry about whether an EX-01 really deserves 40% more than an AS-05 sometime later on imo.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My wife and I have had parallel career paths, her in public service and me in restaurant management.

She always made more than me until we hit the 70-90 range and we made about the same, and now that we are both in the low 6 figures I make slightly more.

I have better benefits but she has a way better pension - grandfathered into the old version that pays 80% of top 5 years with 25 years of service.

I get a 4% contribution and a 4% match lol.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

My wife and I make $200k and we rent half of the inlaws duplex lol

This is because the only way to rent something either than a 600 foot glass cage or an apartment that smells like smoke is renting a house from a private landlord and we have been familyvicted twice in 2 years, so the only way to even RENT decent housing was to familyvict her family's tenants.

(Don't feel guilty because they weren't paying rent and were damaging the property, but a pretty hosed situation anyway)

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Saw one of these today.

When society found out millenials have weird dishwashing habits the response wasn't that we should build adequate housing with kitchens that actually have a proper sink or dishwasher. No! They want usto invent a new way to spray soap directly onto the dishes and wash them one at a time!

Only registered members can see post attachments!