Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Bank of Canada holds interest rate at 1.25%

Is this just going to continue to build to the inevitable collapse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

It's weird - I have this thing in my head telling me that I shouldn't listen to the people that solely exist to skim profit off the selling and buying of homes...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

I'm fully convinced that the people who are running the bank of canada would sooner devalue the currency and allow inflation to run rampant than allow housing to collapse.

I can't think of a thing more Canadian than the people in charge in this country doing their best to protect real estate at all costs.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

lol

>Be Millennial
>See nothing but war for oil or drugs growing up
>Get out of high school or college right as the housing recession hits
>Can't get a job
>Eventually get a job a couple years later
>Same wages as like 2004
>Scrimp and save as much money to pay back your 9% interest student line of credit/OSAP bill
>Be told for 5-7 years "sorry things are going to be tight around here for the next couple years on account of the recession" never get a raise
>Be good and save money as your parents told you (in a 0.05% savings account from the big banks)
>Learn about high interest savings account (3%)
>Savings now don't degrade with inflation year over year
>Try to jump into the market but you're outpaced every time
>See property values double since 2015
>See interest rates at their lowest
>Housing market still going up up up
>literally punished for not overextending yourself and incurring an insane amount of risk
>COVID hits
>Housing Market still goes up
>Laid off
>Interest rates drop
>Inlaws uncle just bought their 14th property talks about hard work and how landlords are "good honest job"

lol gently caress me what's the point of even trying.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

The funny thing to think about is how wages and everything haven't kept up with the housing market at all and more and more of everyone's finance is going toward paying either rent or mortgage - leading to less and less money being spent in the economy which then makes wages depress even more because people have to pinch pennies more and more and save as much as possible (with horrible interest rates trying to get people to spend)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

half cocaine posted:

Have you considered becoming a devloper?

lol funny you mention that - tech hotspots in Canada are only there because labour is cheaper there than in the states. Wages haven't even kept up in the dev world.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

somehow I think the only barriers they'll put in to "help the 'supposed' housing crisis" would be measures that sound good on paper but either a) completely gently caress over first time buyers or b) are completely loving useless in 2020

Like the RSP first time buyers thing. Mother fucker I wasn't contributing to an RSP I was paying back the loving 9% student loan you gave me when I was 17.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Oh weird the TREB has suspended one of the websites that makes a realtor basically useless in this day and age?

Weird. Huh - must be for holistic reasons and totally valid yep yep.

https://www.bungol.ca/treb-data-suspended/

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I mean Siddall has basically been the only going "hey... like, maybe slow down a bit you guys - this is a weird pandemic we don't know what's going to happen - hey stop - no - wait - slow down oh god damnit..." as prices still go up and up and up

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Probably the fact that there's about 100 years of epidemiology and other healthcare related improvements to maybe stop this from happening.

Turns out for something so "unprecedented" a lot of things could've been done to avoid nearly 1 Million deaths

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I think what I'm experiencing right now is a rash of people from Toronto (probably living in condos) moving to the Hamilton and surrounding area and completely bullying the market there right now.

I saw a house go for 150k over asking in Hamilton Mountain (when surrounding units sold around the same asking price a month ago)

I saw a end unit townhouse go for 80k over asking with 18 accepted bids with over 50 booked viewings.

poo poo's BONKERS right now

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

All the people moving to Hamilton and further who still work for companies based downtown Toronto are in for a shock when their bosses "missed personal connection" and order everyone back into the office.
Or they figure out they're paying Toronto wages for someone who doesn't work in Toronto anymore and can get the same output from someone telecommuting from Corner Brook or Jacarta for 40-80% less money.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Stress testing punishes first time home buyers - not the people working on their 14th property.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Boy I can't wait to spend an ever increasing amount of my stagnant wage on insanely rising rent/mortgage & living costs...

But no no - It's because I had avocado toast that one time.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

So open question then: How do we make it harder for people to acquire their 14th property while carrying ridiculous amounts of leveraged debt without punishing single property buyers?

Keep the stress test the same for single property buyers. Add a multiplicative effect based on n# of properties over 2 to make sure their not overleveraging themselves - sayyyy if a pandemic hits and all their tenants can't pay their rent.

Oh maybe make a first time home buyers program that doesn't cap out at 66% the value of a bachelor condo in the 'sauga.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 23, 2020

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

Ok but don’t these landlords use alternative lenders that don’t apply the stress test anyway? That was what I assumed in the first place when I suggested making it harder to evade. If I’m wrong about that and these guys are borrowing from the big banks then I would be surprised.

gently caress I don't know maybe make alternative lenders follow the same rules? It's not the wild west...

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Ervin K posted:

This right here is the most boomer thing I've ever read.

same people who say "kids have it too easy these days" as if that's not the loving point of it all.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

My parents aren't giving me poo poo when they die because they're not going to have anything to give.

I'm breaking that cycle if I can.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I continually enjoy proverbially shoving needles into my eyes as we get outbid on house offers by 50-70k week after week cool cool cool

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

"well if you're not having success in buying a place - what about renting?"

Oh where I have to pay utilities, and the rent is more than the mortgage for the place along with strict no pet rules as well?

hosed either way! Boy a sure love earning over median household income in Burlington and somehow being priced out of loving Hamilton and now Brantford.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

linoleum floors posted:

Dude you have to pay utilities if you own a house too.. lol. The advantages of renting are many.

Sorry I should've wrote "still have to pay utilities"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

You know what TD, you're right. I'm too hard on the older generations for completely loving over my generation. Thanks.

https://twitter.com/DJDynamicNC/status/1328879791064363009

Time to rise and grind let's go boss boys and boss girls - get that money and deposit it into the TD™ Ultra High Interest Mega Savers Account™ (0.005% Interest with minimum balance of $1,000,000)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

So I'm trying to buy a house in the hamilton/brantford area and apparently I've picked the worst time for it possible - but I picked through all the listing data and have gone back to see what things sold for and this game we're playing is really loving stupid.
Bear in mind this is all anecdotal evidence and sample sizes are really small
From the listings we've been offered and shown:

Asking price ranges: 400k - 550k

Hamilton
23 Listings
Average Price increase from Ask to Sold: 71k
Median Price increase from Ask to Sold: 70k
Max Asking Price difference: 155k
Min Asking Price difference: $2k

Brantford
15 Listings
Average Price increase from Ask to Sold: 38k
Median Price increase from Ask to Sold: 35k
Max Asking Price difference: 95k
Min Asking Price difference: -$14.9k

Thoughts:
1. gently caress realtors for trying to keep their data private - took me about 2 hours to manually pull all this data through and had to use multiple websites due to either a) missing information or b) conflicting numbers
2. gently caress our government for not having any rule in place to keep asking prices to be anywhere sensible
3. It's a complete crapshoot. Looking at comparables mean nothing at all right now.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's also kind of meaningless. If a house is gonna sell for $500k I could 'ask' 499k, 450k, or even $1 and it wouldn't make much of a difference to the final 500 value but the 'amount above asking' would be all over the place.

No poo poo it's meaningless but it also leads to places getting 18+ offers on the table at one time. It's bullshit and a massive waste of a huge amount of time.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Philman posted:

I feel your pain. I bought a home last year. I was really frustrated by the whole process.

I lost several offers by being outbid $20k+ when I already placed a bid well over asking. 8 offers on a home was normal. many were sold within 24 hours. People went to see them immediately when they went up on the realtor's site but before they even had an open house or made it online on realtor.ca or zolo.ca

The list prices are all bullshit, just focus on what you want and bid what you think is a fair offer. Bid below asking on properties which aren't moving. Go see something which is listed for $600 and bid $550K if that's your max. If it's been sitting on the market it's not necessarily a defect with the house, it can just be because they priced it too high and people didn't rush to go and see it.

If you can save yourself the monthly cost of a car by spending more to live in burlington vs hamilton/brantford then I think that's worth it.

I appreciate the insight - I was prepared by a lot of friends telling it me it was a horrible soul draining process and it's actually worse than I pictured it in my head. I can't stand this.

Price ranges in Burlington are so egregious that we considered condos here - but the maintenance fees on them are astronomical, a bunch of them still have kitec, and public transit is so bad in Burlington that we would still need cars.

I just can't believe (I totally get why) our government just does nothing about the state of real estate; it's this massive bubble that's bound to pop and they'll do nothing about it until it does; and when it does, they'll likely only bail out those who were extremely overleveraged and irresponsible.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Doesn't that go against Canadian Anti-Spam Laws as it's not really in line with the business reasons for contact?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I along with 36 other people lost out on their bids on a house in Hamilton.

THIRTY SEVEN OFFERS. Whaaaat the gently caress

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Slotducks posted:

I along with 36 other people lost out on their bids on a house in Hamilton.

THIRTY SEVEN OFFERS. Whaaaat the gently caress

Sold for 30% over asking. Realtors are cunts.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

It'll burst the second I finally say "gently caress it" and dump every cent I have into housing on top of getting a 700k mortgage.

You and me man - it's like the two keys to the football suitcase - the moment we get in - it's going to all crash down (haha jokes on everyone I just want to live in a home with my wife alone without roommates and I have allusions to becoming a landlord or to use the house for "investment" purposes lolololol)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

this seems super sustainable in every single way

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

The bubble is going to pop the second I take on a 500k mortgage to buy a two bedroom condo. In the two weeks after I close I fully expect my equity to turn into dust.

poo poo man, a couple months ago it was a townhouse :( What happened?

We were in the same boat - both looking at houses and stuff. My wife lost her job last week so we had to put a pause on our search. The ultimate irony being that her coworkers (including the guy who let her go) were all beating the same drum of advice of "Sometimes you just gotta jump in both feet wet; yeah it'll be hard at first but it'll get easier". 1 month later - let go. Cunts.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Lmao imagine being a G7 country and subjecting near everyone born past 1989 to live like a loving serf.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

Burned: elected to skip the inspection on the place we're currently living because what could possibly be wrong with a newish stacked townhouse? Moved in and found out:
- the laundry machine leaked, resulting in water damaged trim in the area
- one of the large burners on the stove was dead
- The dishwasher had been used as a goddamn sawhorse - or at least, that's the only sane explanation I can come up with for the two circular saw sized slices in the box that leaked like a motherfucker and ended up warping the kitchen laminate

It is physically painful to pay the fee for each place you want to put an offer in on but goddamn it is worth it

What the gently caress? Did your realtor not include stipulations that all things transferring (Chatels) in the sale are required to be deemed in good working condition before takeover under threat of costs being covered by the seller?

like isn't this exactly why you have a lawyer look over poo poo like this? so there's some sort of avenue to rectify this poo poo after the sale goes through?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

Honestly I feel there should be a public body which gives home inspections and you must have your home evaluated and the report published by it before being able to list it for sale. It really is completely unacceptable that people are being punished for taking even the most rudimentary steps for due diligence when purchasing a multi-million dollar asset.

That sounds like it would be mutually beneficial for all parties in real estate transactions and that's exactly why it'll never loving happen ever.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Why would the seller ever accept an offer with that sort of condition :cmon:

My realtor put it across as boiler plate and legitimately not even a thing worth talking about. This is wild.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

I figured that's why the lawyers do their lawyer poo poo and send letters back and forth like pen pals

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

half cocaine posted:

You know how to fix this? Make the realtors liable.

lmfao again this is one of those things that's mutual beneficial for both parties in a transaction and yet will never loving happen ever.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

half cocaine posted:

REGULATORY RED TAPE

Is there anything Boomers and Late Xers hate more than "Due Diligence"?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

This is all completely sustainable and with everyone over spending on mortgages it definitely won't lead to a shrinking economy as frivolous/extra spending is curbed in an attempt to pay their ever increasing mortgages so their job is eliminated due to loss of revenue and then...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

qhat posted:

Just borrow more money dude have you learned nothing?

gently caress