Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Isentropy posted:

Does anyone have any info on Halifax? There is a lot of development off the peninsula going on in anticipation of a massive job surge because of the shipbuilding contract. I'm really worried about this because:

1. the only way to get downtown is by car, really, and traffic and congestion in Halifax is already pretty loving bad

2. this province has a bizarre obsession with the whole "If you build it, they will come" thing. The 200 million dollar convention centre they're building is going to sit next to one that's got a 33% usage rate.

The city always has dumb priorities.

I would say that development in anticipation of the shipbuilding contract is a case of too much too soon. Any real benefits from the shipbuilding aren't expected until late 2014. Halifax probably won't see any major effects from the bubble.

1. Halifax has terrible city planning in that regard. The Peninsula is highly regulated, but there are zero regulations for the suburbs so we have gotten overbuilding and poo poo quality builds. The suburban sprawl is a major issue for the size of the city, especially with the small amount of urban growth.

2. The Convention Centre is another case of the city attempting to punch above it's weight. The old WTCC could probably afford to be replaced but the new one is overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

SpannerX posted:

Oh no! What will I do with out my Mike Holmes, Property Brothers, and Love it or List it! :)

Here in Halifax I think we are slowly deflating, honestly. I've seen prices coming down in some areas, and plateaued in others. But then I don't think we have the same sort of market that T.O. and Van have. People have been leaving here for Ontario and beyond since the beginning of the country. Van will probably pop hard.

Halifax won't have a major swing downward due to the fact that the largest employer by far is the 3 levels of government (Capital Health, Universities, DoD, etc). If there was ever a major loss in that regard we'd have worse problems than a housing bubble.

It was interesting to attend some of the panels at the real estate forum in Toronto. Basically get the impression that some analysts expect the worst, some are expecting the bubble pop to be overblown (banks and such), and the major developer's attitude is "The market will bear what we tell it to. PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE HOUSING MARKET CRASH BEHIND THIS CURTAIN."