Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

Hell, the UK even went so far as to import Mark Carney to run the Bank of England. Guess what Britain just got into the business of doing? A treasured Canadian practice - guaranteeing mortgages! https://www.gov.uk/government/news/help-to-buy-mortgage-guarantee-launches-today

To be fair, Carney had absolutely nothing to do with that policy - it's entirely down to our wonderful Tory government. For some reason, everyone who is not part of that government thinks it's a loving insane idea in a housing market that's already grossly overheated, but Dave and Gideon aren't going to let trifling distractions like that stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

etalian posted:

The UK is a interesting example of how the subsidized social housing concept eventually got replaced by a US style home ownership craze thanks to Thatcher era policies.
Well, it wasn't just Thatcher - the home ownership rate rose from 23% in 1918 to 50% in 1971 and then to 69% in 2001; the sale of the social housing stock began in the 70s on a small scale before Maggie went all out with it in the 80s.

Lexicon posted:

Have they said anything approaching sentient thought about why they want to do this? I haven't ever heard anyone express why it's apparently a good idea to allow banks to extend credit with zero downside risk.

.... especially after we just went through a financial crisis caused by allowing banks to extend credit with zero downside risk.
The entire justification is "people can't afford houses", with an implicit subtext of "...and house prices cannot ever be allowed to fall so that they come back into line with incomes". So instead of a correction in the market, we get a new and bigger bubble that will burst the instant interest rates rise from their current rock bottom levels.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

rhazes posted:

I don't want the bubble to pop, but flat prices for what, 10-15 years, while inflation and simple economic growth catch up would be nice.
AFAICT, this is the only way out of a bubble that doesn't break current mortgage holders and the banks that have lent to them. Unfortunately, maintaining stable prices over an extended period of time would probably be impossible even if you could persuade successive governments to stick to the task.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

It's a personal preference of course, but the decision to select space in the suburbs at the cost of horrendous daily car journeys truly baffles me. I'd always, always want to remain central for a given price level, even if that implied raising a family in an apartment. Local parks are a perfectly suitable substitute for a yard... And someone else does all the work.

Having your own private outdoor space is nice. Having the freedom to extend your property if you want more space without moving is nice. Living in a quiet area is nice. Never being able to hear anything your neighbours are doing and being able to do more or less whatever you want in your own home without having to worry about disturbing the neighbours is nice. I couldn't stomach being much more than 30 minutes out of town, but a 15-30 minute drive each way is pretty tolerable.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Mr. Wynand posted:

swedish ain't easy to learn.
Actually, it's one of the easiest and most consistent languages there is. Waaaaay more straightforward than German, French, or English.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The long-term British average is a little over 4x annual household income, for what it's worth.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

blah_blah posted:

Not really, it's been somewhat well-known for awhile that lots of hedge funds have or have had fairly significant short positions in the Canadian housing market.
How do you short a housing market?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cultural Imperial posted:

This is what housing bulls think:
http://thethirtiesgrind.com/2013/12/10/my-vancouver-real-estate-story/

Well melissa carr, I think you and your husband are incapable of assessing financial risk. You've forsaken your financial health for a housegasm. Enjoy living without savings!

Unless I'm misreading that article, she could sell up today and walk away with a profit of at least several hundred thousand dollars, and will retain the option of doing so until the bubble eventually bursts. Right now she's in pretty good financial health since there's no shortage of greater fools.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Well, strictly speaking the best thing to do is to get in on the bubble early, ride it until just before the burst, sell up and take your profits, rent and ride out the crash, and use the fat stacks you made on the upward swing to buy your dream home with no mortgage when the market bottoms out.

Just gotta get one of them fancy future-seeing machines to find out when exactly the peak and trough are going to occur. :colbert:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

I don't think Dodge or Carney *ever* made comments with respect to the housing market. That has always been the domain of the idiots in parliament. The question now is, why the gently caress is Poloz talking poo poo about it?
FWIW, I don't know what Carney did or did not do about Canada's housing bubble, but as governor of the Bank of England, he's made a number of pointed comments (and direct interventions) in the British housing market with the stated aim of preventing the market from overheating. I'm not sure that any central bank these days really holds to the position that it needs only concern itself with setting interest rates and managing inflation.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 13, 2013

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

The affordability ratio, which measures the proportion a homebuyer has to pay monthly on a mortgage relative to income, stands at just over 60 percent
Sounds healthy and sustainable to me! Top investment opportunity IMO.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baronjutter posted:

That's the scary thing, it seems basically every of my parents generation retirement plan is their house value. They can't afford to save for retirement because their mortgage and general living expenses are so high. If that poo poo crashes when they are needing to retire or when they need the money from their house they are hosed. "My house value" really seems to be a huge amount of people's retirement plan and it scares the poo poo out of me. For their sake and for mine since their financial mismanagement and resulting bailout is going to most likely gently caress my chances of ever seeing a penny of my government pension.

There's no problem, you just pay off your mortgage and watch your house appreciate at 5%+/yr and then when you retire you sell up and retire to some quiet little hamlet with good amenities where house price inflation hasn't yet caught up with that in [metropolitan area where you used to live]. Your retirement fund is the difference between the inflated price of your old house and the uninflated price of your new house. It's pretty much foolproof. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

PhilippAchtel posted:

A five-year fixed mortgage means that the interest rate is fixed for five years? If the amortization is 25 years, what happens after five years?
Dunno about Canada but here in the UK, the mortgage would transition to a variable rate, which is typically the central bank's base rate plus x%. Most people remortgage onto a new fixed rate deal or just pay off the balance once the original fixed rate period is up, though.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

When you subsidize something, you get more demand for it than you would have gotten sans-subsidy. It's really not complicated, yet governments at all levels everywhere continue to act as though that axiom of humanity doesn't apply.
Does that really apply to housing given that shelter is a fundamental human need? My desire for comfortable accommodation is not modulated by its price...

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 18, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

7.5% of the Canadian workforce is in the construction industry, while 7% of the Canadian economy is based on residential construction

:pwn:

Sounds healthy, this.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

I don't know where I heard this, but a great analogy is a morbidly-obese dude who ignores his doctors and consumes vast quantities of McDonalds daily, yet still keeps trucking on. It's easy to be an observer and predict, very confidently, that he'll eventually be in a world of trouble - but there's no telling when. It could be a month or ten years - some of those guys are resilient as hell.

Markets can remain irrational for longer than you can remain solvent, yadda yadda yadda

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Adopt the British solution: impose a de facto national moratorium on new house building for a few decades and then encourage rapid population growth so that housing demand rapidly outstrips supply, establishing the bubble position as a genuine new normal rather than a doomed fever dream. Works great!

:shepface:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Desmond posted:

Hey, check out this castle in NB that costs less than most houses in Vancouver.

$700k to buy, $70k/year to maintain.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

w00tmonger posted:

How many years are we realistically talking here before I can safely buy a house?
Anyone can diagnose a bubble but no one can reliably tell you when it's going to burst; could be tomorrow, could be several years away. The best thing you can do under the circumstances if you want to own a house will be to get a good job, rent, and accumulate the biggest pot of cash you can while waiting for the correction, then buy while the dust is settling after the crash.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

Except for the absurd barriers to entry (I can only sell your house for you at the pleasure of the particular real estate board in the city), the fact that they entirely control the sales data (this one is crazy - forget about Zillow Canada anytime soon), and that they are the ones generating the industry reports and are not above falsifying and/or backdating data once in a while to continually fit their "never been a better time to buy" narrative.

They, like virtually every profit-seeking monopoly, are toxic.

Is there really no governmental database of housing transactions and prices in Canada?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

tagesschau posted:

Roncesvalles fixer-upper draws a crowd and a hefty $803,649 sale price

The seller made a lot of money from the house. The buyer certainly won't.

Pffft, you say that but you simply don't get it. This guy from the comments knows what's up:

quote:

propertyInvestor2 hours ago
ok boys and girls pay attention cause school is now is session!! after reading a few uneducated comments i felt you all should know the truth of this matter...
- price - 800k
- renos - 300k'ish which is very respectable including carrying costs
- selling price - 1.25mil plus alllll day long assuming finishes are proper
then you subtract closing costs and realtor fee's witch will be peanuts for this guy cause chances are he has buyer and realtor relationships already in place
hes now left with 100k'ish and the taxes will most likely be corporate taxes, not to mention all his GST right off's. he does 2-3 a year and makes a great living from what most of you think was a waste of money?!?!
andddd this is all just assuming hes goona sell it.. smarten up ppl.

Your tiny mind cannot comprehend the infallible glory.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

cowofwar posted:

It will be devastating because a large portion of our economy is in the housing sector. Finance jobs, labor jobs, service jobs. We have a lot more people employed in that sector than the US per capita.
By my estimate, you're less hosed than Ireland or Spain but in a worse position than the US when those countries were heading into their respective housing crashes.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Haha, 3% fixes at 95% LTV with amortization periods of 30 years+. Sounds like you got yourselves some real creditworthy borrowers out there.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

I think it's completely fair to look at houses like cars with 100 year lifespans.
Come on, now you're being silly. If this were universally true, I should be able to pick up a Manhattan brownstone for $100 and still have change for a nice central London mews house. Houses clearly do require maintenance and can depreciate over time, but they can also appreciate significantly or retain their original real-terms value.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 2, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

supersnowman posted:

So in the end after reading all of this, I'm stuck with the "live in the same house for 15+ years or you are wasting money" point and wonderign if I should just abandon the "getting a house" ship and just rent elsewhere if I'm no longer happy in my grand-parents basement. Am I reading this stuff wrong?
Renting and sitting on your downpayment for a little while is almost certainly a better move than buying in any of Canada's hotter markets right now. With that said, "stay put for at least 15 years" isn't some kind of golden rule of housebuying - the break-even point between buying and renting is going to depend on a very large number of factors, including likely long-term trends in prices and renting costs in your area, transaction costs, opportunity costs (how much would your down payment grow if you dumped it into a few index funds rather than tying it up in your house?), and so on. The NYT made a pretty nice calculator that you can use to estimate the break-even point for your particular circumstances - just make sure to adjust the advanced settings so that their assumptions regarding transaction costs and so on reflect those for your local market.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

FoE posted:

Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I own a 3 bedroom semi-detached in the Ottawa South Neighborhood. We bought at $212k and could probably get around $270k right now. We owe $155k on the mortgage and that's the only debt we have. We love the area, my wife has a 5 minute walk to work, and I have a 15 minute bike ride in the summer. Problem is we have a third child on the way, and he's going to want his own bedroom sometime in the next few years. How should a popping bubble change our timing on buying a new house? We aren't interested in moving too far from where we are now so I expect any price changes in either direction will hit both our house and the house we wish to be. Any sage advice?
Would staying put and building an extension with a fourth bedroom be an option?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

FoE posted:

That thought had crossed my mind, but it's a lot of disruption to put little kids through. Plus all the house rentals in the area are aimed at Carleton U students

Not to be a broken record here, but if your lot's big enough why not expand your existing house?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Franks Happy Place posted:

General formula for housing costs is no more than 30% your gross (pre-tax) salary. That tends to change as your income goes up, of course, but it's a good rule to keep you from getting into trouble.
Rule I've always heard/used is one third of your monthly take-home, i.e. post-tax salary...

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 5, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

My guess, a popping housing bubble means migrant labour goes home. City populations decrease. Rents might go down.

E: Here's why, a crazy amount of our economy is dedicated to construction. Second, same thing happened in London and the US immediately after housing tanked and kicked off the great recession.

That's not what happened in London at all (data from our office of national statistics):

That said, I don't think you can infer much about other countries' housing markets from the UK (and vice-versa) because we have an unusual attitude to housebuilding - whereas other countries build like crazy during booms, we use planning laws to prevent new building and go in for land value speculation instead. :britain:

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 11, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Pixelboy posted:

I think that would be the "deposit", paid over time.
You amortize your mortgage payments so it makes perfect sense to also amortize your deposit on an off-plan unit. Duh.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

hooooooooly fuuuuuuuuuck

RBC hires loving people like this.

This fuckface has a master's degree in stats from guelph. I GUESS THEY DON'T TEACH BASIC MATH SKILLS AT GUELPH

Better still, he's a risk manager.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

:lol: That'll be a short list, post-filter.

I'd be surprised if the average economist has taken any mathematics beyond introductory differential calculus.

You will not be able to get an undergraduate degree in economics from a reputable university without covering a reasonable amount of higher mathematics. For what it's worth, the mandatory mathematical courses for a BSc in economics at LSE are mathematical methods, stats, and econometrics; you can also take a number of more advanced mathematical topics in later years if you so desire.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baronjutter posted:

I'm totally cool with a tiny bedroom. What the hell do I do in there but sleep and get dressed?
At minimum you'll generally want someplace to store your clothes and so on plus enough space to comfortably access your wardrobes/chests of drawers. Also, it's nice to have bedside tables and enough space to move around in without things being cramped/awkward, especially if you're sharing it with a partner.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

Canadians' ownership premium fetish is utterly stupid. Northern Europeans seem to manage quite nicely with being majority renters.
The average home ownership rate in northern Europe is well over 50% - the only EU country in which it's below that level is Germany.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

I thought it was also the case in at least France, Switzerland the Netherlands also?

(Switzerland does also have a <50% ownership rate, but it's not part of the EU and even if you include it, its population is too small to meaningfully affect the average)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
That's a very misleading way of characterising British council housing. A lot of the stock was of quite high quality and in nice places; it isn't/wasn't all ugly towering concrete abominations full of junkies. The problem is that when Thatcher introduced her Right to Buy policy in the 80s, which gave council tenants the right to buy their council houses at a very steep discount on their market value, almost all of the nice stuff very quickly got transferred into the private sector, leaving only the worse stuff on the state's books.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

You guys are cracking me up about the glory of english council housing. On the other hand, I found this: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/the-uks-top-10-council-estates/5058819.article

I've driven by Churchill gardens several times. It looks pretty awesome. I'd live there.

but, COUNTERPOINT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heygate_Estate

I've driven and walked by this shithole more times than I care to remember. What a complete and utter shithole. gently caress uk council housing.

This discussion would probably be better suited to a new thread on historical and modern social housing around the world, but neither of those buildings/complexes are representative of the UK's (former) council houses in general. Most of the council housing stock just looks like, well, regular houses or apartment blocks. People tend to think of the big concrete projects when you talk about council housing because they're so big and visually imposing, but they were always a small part of the overall picture; most of the stock looked more like this:

Unsurprisingly, when it became available for tenants to buy at a huge discount, the stuff like ^^^ that sold with a quickness while the unmortgageable concrete monstrosities generally did not.

e: for amusement value, compare the quoted market rent of £3k/mo on that listing to the £159/week that would have been charged by its former owner, the City of London corporation.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 27, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

I think the chances of that are pretty low (though any Cypriot pre-2012 would probably have said the same thing).
Even during the Cypriot bail-in, deposits of less than 100k euros were protected.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Amos Moses posted:

And that's why I'm here right. I might come off like "Hey this is my plan look" but what I'm really looking for is guidance from experienced goons who know far more than I do in this regard.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking at property wise around here. a 625sq ft home with 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and no garage is now going for $195,000, for a house built in the 1940's with no major upgrades.

2 bedrooms in 625 square feet sounds very cramped, but at least you're not looking at a crazy income multiple there. You will probably lose money on the thing if you don't stay in it for at least several years, but you should be able to ride out a crash or period of high interest rates if you don't have any other major debts to service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

Even Rob’s own newspaper publishes a Saturday segment in the Report on Business section about a couple looking to retire. Every single one of these couples has 60-70% of their worth in their home. Why? It is because it’s the best place for the money to be and the best place for them to make money TAX FREE.
Having 60-70% of your net worth tied up in a single not especially liquid asset is the very epitome of sound financial planning and wealth management IMO.