Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kreez posted:

I have a friend whose grandmother passed away, and (apparently) the discussion in the family for the past 5 years had been that her estate was to be used to cover close to six figure down payments for each grand child, who are now all in their thirties and while all have solid careers, everyone rents. None of this was stated in the will though, with my friend's father as the sole beneficiary. The parents took the money and paid off the mortgage on their vacation home and shrugged. There wasn't any animosity in the family or anything, they just figured they deserved it more, so gently caress what granny wanted.

I bet they bitch every day about how entitled millennials are and how the baby boomers are the greatest generation. Also, BC liberal voters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The squamish nation should open a bank if they want steady revenue.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What kind of media are you consuming to be bombarded by these stupid ads? I haven't seen any of them. I don't watch tv or listen to radio. I have no Facebook and I report every single Instagram ad as offensive.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/..._term=control_2

quote:

The problem with that article is it fails to clearly articulate why / how foreign money laundering harms Canadians. Yes, there's an effect on the housing market in some cities, but the extent of the impact remain unclear.

Otherwise, the article needs to explain how a foreign national spending $250,000 in cash at McLaren Vancouver harms Canada. There's a case to be made that in some cases that foreign money actually strongly helps the Canadian economy - Not to mention the sales taxation that results from these big-ticket purchases.

Why do they need to explain the harm? Because cracking down on money laundering will cost hundreds-of-millions in Canadian tax dollars in enforcement and prosecution. Money spent on enforcement and prosecution that could go to health care, education, local policing infrastructure (property crime!), drug / mental health treatment, national defense... And we as Canadians need to understand if those enforcement expenditures are a good use of our limited funds.

:qq: the Canadian economy :qq:

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Neil "low interest rates cause hyperinflation" MacDonald

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You guys read this?

Vancouver’s Dirty Money Figures: The Smoking Gun That Wasn’t https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-15/vancouver-s-dirty-money-figures-the-smoking-gun-that-wasn-t

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Christy Clark
Mike DeJong
Suzan Anton
Shirley Bond
Andrew Wilkinson

I'm just saying you need to think bigger.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Maybe you need new friends.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My favorite Urban Planner trope is "everyone should live near where they work" and then they define "affordable rent" as $2,056 for a 1br. It's obvious who's more important here isn't it?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You guys are still worried about ascribing this bubble to specific ethnic minorities?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

You should be worried about ascribing anything at all to specific ethnic minorities, especially when it leads people to call for foreigners to be kicked out of their homes because of the actions of vast criminal networks who have chosen Vancouver as their dumping ground.

Canada literally laid out the welcome mat for this kind of "investment" and Quebec is still doing it.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anecdata:

For funsies, go check mercedes benz canada or audi canada's auto inventory. The very fact that these dealers now have inventory sections on their websites is remarkable considering not that long ago, you couldn't buy any luxury german car without having it made on order and waiting 3 months for it to arrive.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilJoven posted:

The same people that clucked and called racism are going to turn around and stoke the fires of xenophobic fascism themselves the moment doing so more effectively protects their socioeconomic status.

This is literally the ethos of Capitalism.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cowofwar posted:

Non-disclosure of assets is a cultural trait of ethnic Chinese, Jenny Kwan is quoted saying at the time in Millionaire Migrants.

“The Chinese are very private about their money.” A law requiring them to disclose assets, Kwan said, “goes against our culture.

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/thousands-of-metro-vancouver-mansion-owners-avoiding-taxes

quote:

Almost six of 10 residents of the supposedly low-income neighbourhood of Shaughnessy-Arbutus Ridge are foreign born, according to an interactive map created by former Sun digital reporter Chad Skelton. The residents are 50-per cent ethnic Chinese, 34 per cent white and eight per cent Korean.

In the “low-income” neighbourhood south of Oakridge shopping centre, between Granville and Cambie, the percentage of those who are foreign born rises to almost seven in 10. Based on ethnicity (see interactive map), 69 per cent are Chinese, 19 per cent are white and five per cent South Asian.

The conglomeration of north Richmond neighbourhoods that appear “low-income” to StatsCan is also generally more than 70 per cent foreign born, including roughly three out of four who are ethnic Chinese, with some whites and South Asians.

:thunk:

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We're all better off without these stupid financial incentives to soak people with mortgage debt. The limitations of this plan ensure its not just another system to increase the lending business growth of financial institutions or help developers offload their condos in a collapsing housing market.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://openhousing.ca/2019/06/14/metro-vancouver-condo-prices-fall-11-from-peak/
https://openhousing.ca/2019/06/13/metro-vancouver-detached-homes-prices-plunge-32-from-peak/

Getting there.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Those reductions are based on a case Shiller index for the entire lower mainland. The fringes like Delta Surrey and Chilliwack are getting hammered.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wait until your NDP friend finds out Jagmeet wants to increase the capital gains tax to 75% and eliminate the stock options loophole that will hit techbros especially hard.

incontinence 100 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 19, 2019

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Death taxes are morally wrong!

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you think these are the worst things West Vancouverites say, well

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/west-vancouver-b-line-protester-comments-march-4-2019

quote:

1. “I am certainly not culturally entitled”

“I am certainly not culturally entitled,” said one speaker in response to Hiscox’s assertions. Then just seconds later, he continued with this: “We West Vancouverites, who are clear thinkers, are opposed to the B-Line, and we don’t want this to ruin the fabric and the culture of our community.”
2. “Someone with an East Indian accent”

This comment made by a public speaker who was “unpleased” with the district’s recent phone surveys: “A neighbour of mine in my building received a telephone call, well, she suspected, these are her words, someone with an East Indian accent that she could barely understand.”
3. West Vancouver residents are Type A, so they won’t take the bus

Rich elites will never take the bus, according to this speaker: “People I know in West Vancouver are pretty ‘Type A’ and their kids are booked. The husbands and wives are pretty booked too.”
4. “I have seen far more of the planet than many of you ever will”

The opinions of young people, who are most affected by the B-Line decision, do not matter: “To mayor, councillors, and the young pro-B-Liners, I have spent many years involved in political discussions and servicing my community. I do not feel like an old guy, out of touch with my world. In fact, I can guarantee you that I have seen far more of the planet than many of you ever will.”
5. Articulated buses, not the regular buses that are already on the same route, will make roads dangerous

Buses are already routed on Marine Drive in West Vancouver, but longer buses are a big moving hazard that do not belong anywhere near children, homes, and anyone and anything: “Really, none of us are safe from this… the first proposal was to take these buses down Hayward Avenue, past an elementary school, playground, kindergarten, and the homes of 75 taxpaying citizens.”

But are articulated buses any more dangerous on other routes elsewhere in Metro Vancouver?
6. Improved transit will negatively affect home equity

Articulated buses passing by homes will depreciate home values: “What I’m trying to get across to you is that the decision you make surrounding this B-Line debacle has ramifications not only for the safety and well-being of our families, but also our homes’ equities.”

According to BC Assessment, the latest average assessed value of homes in West Vancouver is $2.806 million.
7. I don’t want the B-Line because this is my hometown

The village ambiance of Dundarave will be ruined by the B-Line: “I am solely against the B-Line extending to Dundarave because that’s where I grew up. It’s my hometown. I’m Huck Finn of Dundarave. It’s beautiful, and with all these buses and everything it’ll be ruined.”
8. “We’re all going to be gagging” from hybrid buses

A speaker addressing young people directly on how these articulated hybrid buses will create more pollution: “The pollution factor of all those buses, youngsters, is really exceptional. There are already 250 trips daily one-way between Park Royal and Dundarave, and add to that another 76 trips minimum one-way between Park Royal and Dundarave and you’ve got a heck a lot of pollution… we’re all going to be gagging. The pollution, lights, and noise will be unacceptable.”

But here is a reality check: a single articulated bus can handle about a hundred people, which is a far better situation (in theory) than one hundred single-occupancy vehicles. That’s a lot less pollution.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I see so income has nothing to do with anything. Well then I think I've found the perfect argument for outlawing all natural resource jobs and building a massive wall to keep anything and everything from leaving or entering Alberta by way of BC.

You don't need a job to live in the second most unaffordable city in the world. The data proves this.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sorry Oakland Martini, we're in the "lol u r an ivory tower academic with no business experience" phase. Please report back what you find though, because I still have faith that people who have spent any amount of time learning stuff might actually know something unless you're like a Nathanial Lauster troll account or something.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I have a grant, too.

Sorry but your "facts" are now worthless compared to my street knowledge.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Increase the number of taxi licenses and we wouldn't be having any of these conversations about supporting a dumb tech business that will never make money.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I no longer speak to an ex friend who once told me that renters diminish the character and social cohesion of a neighbourhood. gently caress these people.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hopefully Alexa Loo will be swallowed up by a sinkhole.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How are you going to deter future generations if you don't leave their corpses hanging from an over pass?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

I heard you can fry meat on the hood of a Lamborghini

That's v Fury Road. I like it.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some BC jobs news.

quote:

The province lost 3,700 jobs between May and June while the unemployment rate ticked up from 4.3% to 4.5% during that same period.

While B.C. managed to post a gain of 3,000 part-time positions, those were all offset by the losses of 6,700 full-time jobs.

https://biv.com/article/2019/07/bc-posts-3700-job-losses-june-mostly-full-time-positions

I've been wondering if and when the housing decline would affect employment. Let's see how the rest of the year goes.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you guys seen construction in Whistler for Rich People's Homes? Many seem to be built with a large tent-like structure over the construction site. Is that just for sheltering the site from snow so that they work all winter?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is going to be a more certain outcome? Jeffrey Epstein getting away with child sex trafficking or everyone involved with Canadian money laundering getting away scott-free?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Yeah, there were lots of places that were just bush back in the day, and are now high-density townhouses. The joke of "Morgan Creek" is that isn't actually the name of the stream that rolls through that area. As you might appreciate, the real name, Titman Creek (I am not making that up), didn't quite fit the marketing efforts of the developers of the day.

For Surrey, the biggest problem is the open secret that the developers have bought off city councillors in quiet ways not easily noticed. All one has to do to see that is look at the Morgan Crossing neighbourhood where you have high-density townhouses and condos built right next to the BC Hydro high voltage power lines, in an area with limited bus service and no rail service to anywhere. The entire place is built around transit that doesn't and will never exist in that area, so the car traffic is bananas. It is completely un-walkable because the shops are not pedestrian-sized. Everything commercial is mega-boxes, surrounded by mini-boxes for people to live in. The worst part is that the people around there are convinced that what they are experiencing is some sort of 'lifestyle'. To me, it's a post-suburban hellscape full of the worst attributes of early aughts development thinking. I don't recognize the place I grew up at all, and frankly, care little to return were it not for my parents still residing in the area.

Talking about debris abandoned in the bush, there was a family not far from where I grew up who had a group of sons who had profound intellectual disabilities. They were all grown, but a little bit paranoid about the world around them, but fairly functional. Anyway, they operated a pretty successful farming operation so had a lot of heavy equipment. One day, they decided to get rid of some of their machinery and other debris, so did the logical thing and dug a giant pit in their yard to dump it all in. They filled up the pit, covered it over, and left it. When the place sold (to developers for townhouses, natch), the new owners would have had a hell of a shock when they tried to start digging for their new buildings! They also told us they had rigged the place with explosives in case of break-in, but there were no explosions when they moved, so I'm guessing that all got taken apart (or never existed, but the story is better if it did!)

I recall an episode of X-files like this.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Isn't that where the first 5 guys opened? Fortunately I don't ever have to go there again.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't understand the appeal of living in White Rock. Yes there's a nice beach and it's waterfront but there's also a cargo train running right in front of that view. Never mind scheduling your entire life around counterflow lanes.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe Jennifer Maiko Bradshaw can give him a hand.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wanna hear about living in Tsawwassen.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Indeed, poor Glen Clark lost his job over his deck. Decks are dangerous.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qhat posted:

Looking forward to seeing that number increasing by an order of magnitude when the beneficial ownership registry comes into force in 2020.

I had no idea it was going to take that long. Surely there are enough techbros that could deploy this into the cloud in the next couple hours?

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Or maybe the NDP is slow walking this registry into existence so all the right kind of people get a chance to protect themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Who are the "right kind of people" for the political party funded almost exclusively by unions?

https://www.rew.ca/properties/R2338338/56-e-5th-avenue-vancouver-bc

That house is owned by the president of the teamsters whose members all work in the movie industry.

But I guess it's unfair to generalize so I must apologize.