Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Made some pan-fried red snapper fillets tonight.

e: small pot is for the drizzle, was mostly comprised of white wine, lemon juice, garlic/shallot. Pretty good all in all, my first time frying fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Apologies for the long post, but a few things I've made over the last week and a bit:

Casu Marzu posted:

Apple sharlotka for breakfast. [...] I ended up using like 8 apples, cooking it for like 75 minutes, and mixing the batter through a bit more thoroughly.

Yours looked fantastic and I love soft, spongey, appley desserts in general. It was my mum's 70th birthday a couple of days ago so I decided to make it and take it to theirs as a birthday cake of sorts (got silly little pink childrens' candles and all). loving typical that the ONE thing I've made recently that turned into a disaster is the one that I'm making for somebody else :argh:

Looks fine

Looks fine

gently caress

I suspect my apples weren't as large as hers so I really should have added a couple more like casu did. You can see that the relaxing cake is quite a bit larger around than the drat pan it was in - it just sort of flumped upon removal. AND it stuck viciously to the pan despite parchment and greasing. And, yes, I did manage to coat the entire work surface in a festive dusting of flour and icing sugar. But!...

Cut up (because it was the only way I could get it into the cake tin that SHOULD have been perfectly sized for transportation) it looked a lot better:

It was warmed and eaten at my folks' and was delicious, but it still didn't look right (or nearly tall enough)! Total mystery why the top looks all strangely smooth rather than cakey. Hmm.

cigaw posted:

I've been cooking birthday lunches for my Dad for a few years now.

[...]

Berry tart for dessert.

Not pictured: Greek salad by my girlfriend

That tart is pretty as a picture - lucky dad, indeed! :love:

I had a Greek salad moment (apparently I'm really getting into summery dishes in winter...) thinking "I LOVE Greek salad, why do I never make it? It's simple and clean and fresh and not really cooking at all!" - so bro(sephine) fist to your gf:

Oh goodness, I'm not much of a pork chop fan but I think you just turned me. If they all looked like that....wow that's an attractive plate of food!

Something from budgetbytes was mentioned in (I think) the po' food thread a short while back and I was a: starving and b: had all the ingredients on hand. So Dragon Noodles:

The perils of not specifying which kind of soy sauce in a recipe! I've always been (for the most part) "light as an ingredient and dark as a condiment" but some recent discussion here says that should be the other way round. So I trusted that and went dark...yeah. The colour should be a complete giveaway that she used light. No matter - was quick and tasty as hell. What's a difference of colour between friends?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I tried that dragon noodle recipe last week and I liked it but it sure is missing something, maybe i just needed to squeeze some lime on it but it didn't have enough acid. Maybe vinegar?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

bosko posted:

Beautiful. I've never thought to braise leeks because I grew up mostly making leek soup (where browning on the leek = bad). Summary of how you made em? Looks like there's lots of garlic!

paraquat posted:

I've only just learned about braised leeks, didn't care for leeks before that (I'm not a soup person)
Think those are hazelnuts?

would like the recipe/"making of" as well

I was on the leeks-must-remain-white-camp before I came across this method. Also, those are indeed toasted and smashed hazelnuts.

It's a really easy recipe from Gordon Ramsay, although I did use only about half of the listed amount for hazelnuts. Links: Recipe/Video

sharkattack posted:

[...]
Your dad is a very lucky guy! This all looks fantastic! (Also your photos are great)

:neckbeard: Ohmygodthankyou! This made my day! I've been drooling over your recipes and gorgeous pictures for ages now and I must admit that I tried to use your photo editing guide to get my pictures to look more lively. I still have a lot to learn, especially about composition, though.

franco posted:

[...]
That tart is pretty as a picture - lucky dad, indeed! :love:

I had a Greek salad moment (apparently I'm really getting into summery dishes in winter...) thinking "I LOVE Greek salad, why do I never make it? It's simple and clean and fresh and not really cooking at all!" - so bro(sephine) fist to your gf:

Oh goodness, I'm not much of a pork chop fan but I think you just turned me. If they all looked like that....wow that's an attractive plate of food!

Something from budgetbytes was mentioned in (I think) the po' food thread a short while back and I was a: starving and b: had all the ingredients on hand. So Dragon Noodles:

The perils of not specifying which kind of soy sauce in a recipe! I've always been (for the most part) "light as an ingredient and dark as a condiment" but some recent discussion here says that should be the other way round. So I trusted that and went dark...yeah. The colour should be a complete giveaway that she used light. No matter - was quick and tasty as hell. What's a difference of colour between friends?

Thanks for the comment on the tart! I have a new-found respect for bakers who have to decorate tarts and pastries on a daily basis. I must have spent about 15-20min standing around and trying to figure out how to decorate that freaking thing.

Love the look of the salad :respek: and the dragon noodles are making my mouth water.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Mister Blueberry posted:

I always thought that you don't eat pork when you aren't allowed or something. This not liking pork thing is new to me.

He likes bacon and ham, but that is pretty much it. Pork chops or loin he does not care for. So I just don't buy it. I live in Alberta so we eat a lot of really delicious beef.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Echeveria posted:

This looks delicious, unfortunately my husband really doesn't like pork. I might grab a roast today and make a pot roast, though. Om nom.

Did he grow up with bad midwestern pork chops? It's not possible to dislike well made pork.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

nuru posted:

Did he grow up with bad midwestern pork chops? It's not possible to dislike well made pork.

It's probably those bland zero fat Pork Loin Strips that people destroy on the grill that he's been exposed to. They are pretty tough and tasteless. Or those mushy breaded freezer burn specials. Or the slimey Pork Special at Cracker Barrel that's a step away from rancid.

My favorite pork chop dish is sear them super quick, then toss them in a pan sauce of cooked down apples, onions, white wine (or a nice hoppy beer), and butter. You can also throw a handful of berries in there. Just not blueberries if you have reservations about eating inappropriately purple food. Those were seriously purple pork chops.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

franco posted:

ther way round. So I trusted that and went dark...yeah. The colour should be a complete giveaway that she used light. No matter - was quick and tasty as hell. What's a difference of colour between friends?

Those look delicious so I looked up the recipe. How in the hell can they call something "burn a hole through your stomach spicy" with a little red pepper flakes and some sriracha? Maybe if they used a few Thai chiles...

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Those look delicious so I looked up the recipe. How in the hell can they call something "burn a hole through your stomach spicy" with a little red pepper flakes and some sriracha? Maybe if they used a few Thai chiles...

She exaggerates, but the dish is hotter than your average American consumer is probably used to; I was actually pretty surprised at how hot it was with just those ingredients, but it was right up my alley. (I like adding chunks of leftover roast chicken to mine; makes a great 10-minute one-dish meal when I'm in a hurry)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Che Delilas posted:

She exaggerates, but the dish is hotter than your average American consumer is probably used to; I was actually pretty surprised at how hot it was with just those ingredients, but it was right up my alley. (I like adding chunks of leftover roast chicken to mine; makes a great 10-minute one-dish meal when I'm in a hurry)

After looking at more of her recipes, I see that everything is pretty bland. So yeah, I guess that would be pretty hot to her.

Your version looks way, way better than hers.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

nuru posted:

No, we're Canadian. He just doesn't seem to like the taste. I've tried chops, loin, shredded pork, and pork sausages. Sometimes I try and trick him, and he'll be like "wtf this tastes gross". I don't bother any more.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

franco posted:

Apologies for the long post, but a few things I've made over the last week and a bit:

Yours looked fantastic and I love soft, spongey, appley desserts in general. It was my mum's 70th birthday a couple of days ago so I decided to make it and take it to theirs as a birthday cake of sorts (got silly little pink childrens' candles and all). loving typical that the ONE thing I've made recently that turned into a disaster is the one that I'm making for somebody else :argh:

Looks fine

Looks fine

gently caress

I suspect my apples weren't as large as hers so I really should have added a couple more like casu did. You can see that the relaxing cake is quite a bit larger around than the drat pan it was in - it just sort of flumped upon removal. AND it stuck viciously to the pan despite parchment and greasing. And, yes, I did manage to coat the entire work surface in a festive dusting of flour and icing sugar. But!...

Cut up (because it was the only way I could get it into the cake tin that SHOULD have been perfectly sized for transportation) it looked a lot better:

It was warmed and eaten at my folks' and was delicious, but it still didn't look right (or nearly tall enough)! Total mystery why the top looks all strangely smooth rather than cakey. Hmm.

:3: Cake still looks yummy.

Smitten Kitchen's recipe really should give apples by weight or just say to fill the whole pan.

Also, The texture looks funky because it's not really a cake batter. There's no fat outside of the eggs and there's no rising agent. It's basically a really, really, really thick dutch baby.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I made congee for the first time today. Unfortunately I am a dumb and didn't realize I was out of century eggs, salted duck eggs, and green onions. I have been eating a huge pot of congee all day with basically everything I can get my hands on, though. I also tried chili oil, pickled mustard green, chopped zha cai, and lots of other good stuff.

I never want congee again until the next time I make congee which will definitely not be tomorrow for sure.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

franco posted:

Generally if the type of soy sauce is not specified, use light soy sauce.

The difference between light and dark soy sauce is not ingredient/condiment. Light soy sauce is saltier while dark soy sauce is thicker, has a bit of deeper flavor, and usually sweeter. So use one or the other or both depending which of those flavors you're trying to add to your sauce.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

cigaw posted:

Thanks for the comment on the tart! I have a new-found respect for bakers who have to decorate tarts and pastries on a daily basis. I must have spent about 15-20min standing around and trying to figure out how to decorate that freaking thing.

I'd still be standing around now! Repeating myself, but drat good job - looks like something that came from a fancy French patisserie :)

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yeah, no idea why she talks it up like it's some kind of inferno. As Che Delilas says, it's pleasantly spicy but certainly isn't going to make you reach for the milk (and thanks!).

Casu Marzu posted:

:3: Cake still looks yummy.

Smitten Kitchen's recipe really should give apples by weight or just say to fill the whole pan.

Cheers! And absolutely agreed on the vague apple content of the recipe. Will definitely make it again but keep chopping until it's full up.

mich posted:

Generally if the type of soy sauce is not specified, use light soy sauce.

The difference between light and dark soy sauce is not ingredient/condiment. Light soy sauce is saltier while dark soy sauce is thicker, has a bit of deeper flavor, and usually sweeter. So use one or the other or both depending which of those flavors you're trying to add to your sauce.

I was simplifying/generalising a bit (I realise the difference isn't just colour and that both have their uses IN a dish) - but, yeah, I'm totally with you on the using light if unspecified thing - which is why I had been surprised at seeing a fair few people state the opposite and went against my usual thinking this time.

Then I was talking to a friend in deepest podunk Vancouver Island (who is an avid cook and far more creative than I) about the uses and she expressed surprise that light existed at all - world's gone mad I tells ya! :psyduck:

Slight return to budgetbytes - made "her" (she says herself it's her take on an idea that was kicking around elsewhere) non-roux/béchamel mac'n'cheese (think of it as a less sciency modernist cuisine ;)) and it did turn out really silky - neat "trick"!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Black bean empanadas, and quinoa with sautéed chard:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Anyone have a rocking clam chowder recipe? I'm aware it's fairly straightforward, but I love to hear personal touches to the soup. Finally cooling down here, want to get that chowda game going.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

2:00 am Kenji tortilla pizza yessssss

Only registered members can see post attachments!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Night bakin'.

Cranberry orange scones for brunch tomorrow. Well, today now, I didn't post this til the morning.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006
I made a very very cheesy pizza. Been experimenting with gluten-free crusts and the one behind the cheesy mass came out like cardboard. Onto the next one...

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Unf. I think this needs to happen tonight.

blakangel
Mar 28, 2004
broken reflection on the surface of never
~~my gf~~ bought me the Siracha Cookbook for my birthday. Trying out a crockpot pulled pork. Brined it overnight and rubbed it with siracha/yellow mustard and a brown sugar, smoked paprika based rub:

Will be taking it out of the crockpot in 6 hours. The apartment smells awesome.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

bosko posted:

I made a very very cheesy pizza. Been experimenting with gluten-free crusts and the one behind the cheesy mass came out like cardboard. Onto the next one...

Have you tried the CI/ATK gluten-free pizza crust? It looks pretty decent.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I cookied

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

That's enormous!!

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I admit that I was a bit "tortilla pizza wuh??" sceptical - but your picture looks great (and delicious) and on looking up the recipe that's a pretty good idea (especially as I like my crust extra-thin - so that's certainly a way to do that hah!) :)

I crumpet-ed for the first time. It's a lot less complicated than I had imagined.

First ones starting to bubble with big ol' bowl o' batter in the background that had been left covered to warm, react and grow for a couple of hours (only have 4 rings so it was a batch job):

All batter used up and cooling together:

First two toasted before shoving in mouth, both slathered decadently in butter. Trigger warning: right hand side one has Marmite on it - please close your right eye if that makes you squeamish ;):

Overall, really pleased. They could have been a bit more bubbly but I think my yeast was getting towards the end of its life. Either way they are the right structure, texture, taste, everything - and a hell of a lot nicer than store-bought.

bosko
Dec 13, 2006

Bob_McBob posted:

Have you tried the CI/ATK gluten-free pizza crust? It looks pretty decent.

I have not. I assume that's a picture of their crust? Looks so nice and crispy! I'll try, thanks :)

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Been able to take some pictures recently, still trying to figure things out:

Pancakes with berries:

Greek Yogurt with Pomegranate and sheep

Piadina with Cus Cus and Salad

Panino with bean burger

I haven't sprung for any software yet but I'm starting to see the limitations of iPhoto so it might be time. I tried setting white balance using the method in the Wiki but things still seem yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Hey....

New thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683534

• Locked thread