Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Doh004 posted:

Made ravioli for the first time ever!

Whole wheat ravioli with a spinach and garlic filling. Very good! Now I see why people have pasta rollers. I rolled it as thing as I possibly could and it was still thicker than I'm used to. They probably would have been more tender if they weren't 100% whole wheat, but hey I like them and will eat them The sauce was my standard red meat sauce. :)

Looks nice!

A cheap machine is on my list of things to by. Hand rolling is such a bitch and it's really noticable for ravs if it is too thick. But making your own ravs is so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
Last night I had the idea to suspend some parsley between two layers of spring roll skins and fry it to make some pretentious garnish thing.

So I put it on top of some seared steelhead with a savory black pepper garlic crème anglaise sauce. I ate it in two minutes with my fingers because I am a man child.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Looks nice!

A cheap machine is on my list of things to by. Hand rolling is such a bitch and it's really noticable for ravs if it is too thick. But making your own ravs is so cool.

Agreed. It's definitely very managable and it's fun to crimp the edges :3:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
PASTA cacio e pepe with mushrooms and asparagus

Neuromancer 2.0
May 21, 2004
Butternut squash risotto

Dammit Whom
Mar 10, 2012
My second time making ribs. First time doing them in the oven, though. House of Cards did this to me.

ribs after 2 hours of cooking. 1.5 hours covered, then glazed, then half an hour uncovered, then glazed.

finished ribs after 2.5 hours cooking, 3 coats of glaze and 4 minutes per side under the broiler.

They weren't perfect, but good enough for an amateur, I think.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Akito12345 posted:

Last night I had the idea to suspend some parsley between two layers of spring roll skins and fry it to make some pretentious garnish thing.

What the eff, that is beautiful!

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The Mega Dawg

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Is that a corn dog wrapped in sausage?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

On a bed of greens? The Juxtaposition is fantastic.

Dubster
Jul 9, 2008

Totally Reasonable posted:

Is that a corn dog wrapped in sausage?

Looks like dukeku's "Mega Dawg" is a hot dog, breaded and deep fried, wrapped in ground beef grilled.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Dubster posted:

Looks like dukeku's "Mega Dawg" is a hot dog, breaded and deep fried, wrapped in ground beef grilled.

That's definitely pork.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Sup nerds made Pla Goong

Arrest that ass!
Sep 1, 2006

my deadlift personal record

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

That's definitely pork.

THE MEGA DAWG HOT DOG BREADED N DEEP FRIED WRAPPED IN GROUND BEEF GRILLED

http://imgur.com/a/EM8uA#vAvMT6X

Arrest that ass! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 21, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

thehandtruck posted:

Sup nerds made Pla Goong

Looks nice. Got a recipe??

Arrest that rear end! posted:

THE MEGA DAWG HOT DOG BREADED N DEEP FRIED WRAPPED IN GROUND BEEF GRILLED

http://imgur.com/a/EM8uA#vAvMT6X

:911: :911:

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Looks nice. Got a recipe??

Yeah dude!
Cut shallots mint basil cilantro, half a red onion(superfuckingthin) 2 shallots(superfuckingthin), 2 limes, a little sugar and salt, then nam prik pow sauce which is like fermented chilli in oil or something dunno can't read the label. the smell will be absolutely intoxicatingly amazing. dunk or pan your shrimps and drop those suckers in the bowl. serve with rice if you value your hard poops

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Spaghetti Bolognese

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Made some tempura ebi (although it was more of a beer batter than a simple tempura batter, but whatever ;-))
And made that into a tempura ebi roll

Then covered it with avocado slices, et voila!
(yes, it was goooood!...and no, this will not make you lose weight!)

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

:syoon:

Marry me?

Also to be a little less creepy, maybe a write-up of how to make it?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Niavmai posted:

:syoon:

Marry me?

Also to be a little less creepy, maybe a write-up of how to make it?

I will most definitely not marry you, but the write-up...yeah, I must've sensed you'd ask for it!!!
wrote it all down along the way, and here it is:

Tempura shrimp roll with avocado

Tempura shrimp:
peel some raw shrimps, take the head off (leave the tail on if you want it to stick out of your roll in the end…I don’t, so I took them off as well). Devein them, and make three sideway slits on the belly side to keep them from curling too much when cooked.
I marinated the shrimps in fish sauce, soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil for about an hour.
For the tempura batter, I used 1 egg-yolk, 1 cup of all purpose flour and 1 cup of ice cold water. After stirring the egg and the water well, I dumped in the flour and gave it a quick stir (lumps are okay, do not over-stir).
The shrimps are dragged through the batter, and then fried (I used an old small wok for that).
When golden, get them out of the oil and onto some paper, to lose the excess oil and cool down a bit

The roll:
While the shrimps are marinating, wash the sushi rice, and prepare the rice according to the package (fry the shrimps when the rice is almost done, so they can cool down a bit, together with the rice)
When the rice is seasoned and cooled down enough, use half a nori sheet, and cover it with rice. Flip it over, fill it with the shrimps, and make an inside out roll.
Clean an avocado and make thin slices. Push the slices slightly apart between your hands, and cover the roll with it.
Finally, slice the roll and (optionally) serve it with a little horseradish mayo, and serve with soy sauce.

it might be a nice addition to tell that I never tempurad anything before this, and I only sushi rolled anything twice before this.

was it all a lot of work? Yes...but not difficult work!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Welp guess I'll be doing that and covering it with delicious salmon instead of disgusting avocado.

It still looks awesome.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Saint Darwin posted:

instead of disgusting avocado.

You take that back.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Continuing my adventures into Louisiana cuisine, I made jambalaya!

Another success. It was a bit soupier than I wanted it to be, but it was warm and spicy and delicious all the same.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Potatoes in your picadillo?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Potatoes in your picadillo?

yeah dude! maximum carbage!!!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

thehandtruck posted:

yeah dude! maximum carbage!!!

That is funny, that is how my mom makes it to this day and I learned to make it as well using potatoes. Are you making it along with the picadillo or adding later? Our method we cut the potatoes to about the size of small cubes, fry them like French fries then add them to the picadillo after it is is cooked. And yes, it is a festival of carbs when you factor in the rice or if you are like my family.. black beans and rice then add picadillo! Ooh and fired plantains because Cubans like to really eat when they sit down at the table.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I made my first quiche! Broccoli!

Came out looking bloody nice, I think

Less so after cutting. Used a bit too much custard, so the base was a bit soggy and it didn't keep its shape too well.

That said though, it was still delicious, and I will make it again with less custard :)

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Gosh there's some amazing creations in this thread!

I submit my humble 'spanish' chicken. Ingredients pretty much speak for themselves. I ran out of fresh chillies so I had to use jarred jalapenos but all was well. Not shown are some chopped tomatoes and I also neglected to take an 'after' shot as it didn't look quite so pretty after a long sit in the oven.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

Less so after cutting. Used a bit too much custard, so the base was a bit soggy and it didn't keep its shape too well.

That said though, it was still delicious, and I will make it again with less custard :)

My guess is that the broccoli is the culprit. Did you boil or steam it beforehand? Next time try leeks or onions softened in bacon fat with lardons, it might turn out less soggy-bottomy.

Heeh.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Experto Crede posted:

Looks delicious! If you like experimenting with quiche and have access to plantains..try frying some of those up and using that.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Palak Paneer with homemade Naan.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Today's soup of the day:

Roasted Poblano soup. Technically a work picture, but I liked my presentation and wanted to share it.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

WaterIsPoison posted:

Looks tasty... Also, is that an IKEA paper lamp? If so, might I recommend a dab of blue loctite on the pull?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Today's soup of the day:

Roasted Poblano soup. Technically a work picture, but I liked my presentation and wanted to share it.

Lemme guess – some roasted, peeled, de-seeded poblanos, a bit of garlic, oil, salt, blend it all up? I love roasted chili peppers, so I wanna try this.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

WaterIsPoison posted:

I have no idea why my brain processed these as one photo but when I first saw that it looked like a gigantic vat of palak paneer looming over your plate. Looks really good!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Kenning posted:

Lemme guess – some roasted, peeled, de-seeded poblanos, a bit of garlic, oil, salt, blend it all up? I love roasted chili peppers, so I wanna try this.

Yeah, add some onion and a tomatillo. Cream it if you like, I prefer mine without.

E: no need to peel them since you're going to purée it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Got a pressure cooker recently (and it is basically magic/witchcraft) so I made chana masala:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Beef bourguignon with braised onions!

Manifresh
May 6, 2010
Longtime lurker, finally decided to start taking pictures of foods I make and share them with the world.

I got a KitchenAid mixer a couple months back and have been playing with bread making for months. Decided it was time to step it up and try something different.

Bagels (based on Emeril's recipe):

Plain Bagel

Everything Bagel

My husband has been brewing beer lately and has been bugging me to make bread with the spent steeping grains. Finally made some after yesterdays brew batch. Made with Boundary Waters Wheat grains:

Probably the best drat bread I've ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Zucchini "noodles" with spinach pesto and roasted red pepper. Garnished with cashews and parmesan.

• Locked thread