Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Shredded beef tacos, jalapeno pepperjack cheese, homemade pico de gallo and hand made whole wheat tortillas! Also a side of spicy black beans.

I had never made tortillas before, but these are so much better than store bought. :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Made ravioli for the first time ever!

Whole wheat ravioli with a spinach and garlic filling. Very good! Now I see why people have pasta rollers. I rolled it as thing as I possibly could and it was still thicker than I'm used to. They probably would have been more tender if they weren't 100% whole wheat, but hey I like them and will eat them The sauce was my standard red meat sauce. :)

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 19, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Looks nice!

A cheap machine is on my list of things to by. Hand rolling is such a bitch and it's really noticable for ravs if it is too thick. But making your own ravs is so cool.

Agreed. It's definitely very managable and it's fun to crimp the edges :3:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Saint Darwin posted:

instead of disgusting avocado.

You take that back.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Beef bourguignon with braised onions!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

CrushedWill posted:

All the food looks great in this thread but the idea of this over noodles or rice is making my jaw hurt in a good way. I know Bourdain has always said this recipe was childs play, but it really isn't, you have a recipe?

If I wasn't trying to cut back on how much I eat, I definitely would have had it over some buttered noodles or something, nonetheless :btroll:

I did a combination of this: http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Food/Stir-It-Up/2012/0815/Julia-Child-s-beef-bourguignon/%28page%29/2

The actual episode from Julia child:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2ys8C-lNk

And also my own "stew" know-how. Either way, it's extremely delicious and just what I need to finish up the cold of the winter.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

sweat poteto posted:

Used pan fried slices of sourdough as layers instead of crumbs. Awesome.

I... uh... haaa... what?

Explain :monocle:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Ribeye with shiitake mushroom redwine sauce and butternut squash puree!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I made a food: balsamic glazed beef short ribs (I like them :3:) with garlic Parmesan quinoa and sauteed squash.

(I really need better lighting in my kitchen)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

kinmik posted:

Spaghetti bread.

I, uhgg, hmmm, errrr, ahhh, ?

I'm not just judging, I'd eat it, just welp.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
T-bone au poivre with a cognac cream sauce and lemon vinaigrette roasted asparagus!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Well that just looks spectacular.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Grilled herb marinated lamb chops, potatoes au gratin with gruyere and parmigiano regiano, asparagus with mint, garlic and shallot dressing, endive salad with prosciutto, radicchio, arugula, manchego cheese with a shallot vinaigrette and homemade italian baguettes.

Getting fat(ter) on Easter.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

paraquat posted:

Had an avocado in the fridge that needed to be used, and figured I'd check the Flavor Bible for fun ideas.
There's a lot of entries with avocado, but one was perfectly weird...it said to pair it with strawberries.
Technically, it said to make a vinagrette out of the strawberries with some oil.

However, I checked the internet and got almost 15 million hits for the combination of avocado and strawberries (!!), so I figured I'd just eat them together and see what it would taste like.

My conclusion:
it was absolutely not foul, but I didn't really like how the strawberry emphasized the buttery taste and structure of the avocado. It felt like eating strawberry with a thick layer of butter, not my thing really.
I should probably have made a complete recipe with these component and not just combine the two like this.

:10bux: says had you sprinkled it with salt it woulda been better. The picture is very pretty though :3:

I love just eating avocado with salt on top of it, so I imagine adding the sweet of the strawberry would work well with savory.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

sweat poteto posted:

Plums sauteed in butter, sugar, coconut, fresh basil and pine nuts.

Well that just sounds loving delicious.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

blixa posted:

Parchment paper on top of the cookie sheet + what Appl said above (the boiling and oil coating) always makes my oven fries non-sticky.

Speaking of oven fries chat, I made them last night. Sadly, the rest of my meal was finished/rested before the fries could get sufficiently brown! I was very sad, and had even bumped the oven up to 450 for the last 10 minutes to get as much browning as possible. They were in the oven for a long time :\

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Baby Giraffe posted:

Wanted some eggs benedict, but without all the cream and butter in the sauce , so I made it with yogurt instead :)

Food looks good, but hollandaise isn't normally made with any sort of cream? It's just eggs, butter + flavorings?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Chicharrones con chili y limon

4 slabs of ribs and 4 boston butts with my memphis-style dry rub. 200 degrees @ 6 hours

I'm PMing you my address. Please deliver by 7pm tonight for dinner. TIA.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I love me some pizza bianco, but I'm not sure how I feel about carb cubes on my edible canvas of carbs.

It looks pretty as hell though.

I was pessimistic too, but it works out surprisingly well.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

bummer dude posted:

As much of a gross regressive statement as that is it still represents most Americans in 2013.

Not to open a can of worms, but is it really a "gross regressive statement"? I mean, it didn't sound like he was saying that his wife, who cooks for him because she's a woman, could make that dish. Rather, it was more of him thinking of asking his wife to cook him the recipe because she cooks for him.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Rosemary and garlic roasted lamb shoulder with a mint and caper sauce. Organic yam and homemade whole wheat rye bread. :woop:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How are goat chops? I've only ever had a little bit of goat that was grilled (like a thin steak) so my experience with it is lacking.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

All the food looks great as usual, but this one in particular made me salivate. Love me some artichokes.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Dinner thanks to the suggestions of Ricola:

Roasted garlic and thyme pressed pork belly with caramelized leek and feta polenta and sauteed lemon broccoli rabe.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
It's probably just residual liquid leftover from however he cooked the veggies (steamed, sauteed etc).

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What meat is that topped with? Looks good :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I imagine that tastes good, but holy poo poo that looks like a bowl of horrifying. :staredog:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I pasta'd the other night:

Spicy veal sausage ragu.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
PM'd you my address. Please send them to me now.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

ZealousQ posted:

Australian bolognese

Some quick tips:

- Brown the meat in the big pot first, reserve.
- Sautee veggies in same pot with brown pieces that are still in the pot from the meat.
- Deglaze once veggies are cooked with red wine and scrap off delicious brown bits.
- Add meat back in, then tomato puree (if you can, get crushed tomatoes or whole steamed ones and crush them yourself).
- If you can, find tomato paste and add that in before you deglaze. Let it get a little toasty.

Beans don't really belong in it but if it's what you have it's what you have!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
That's correct, you should have used a pork shoulder. The more connective tissue and fat the better for slow cooking like that.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

psychokitty posted:

I know I'm dumb and they do use fish sauce in their dipping sauce, but I don't want that poo poo in my house.

Because...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Quick, healthy dinner tonight:

Garlic whole wheat pasta and a kale salad with walnuts, black berries, herb chevre and a white balsamic, raspberry, shallot vinaigrette.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Crispy salmon filet with roasted duck fat new potatoes and brussel sprouts.

poo poo was gooooood.

*edit* This was a very non-colorful meal. I think next time I'll make some sort of roughly chopped tomato sauce (salsa like) to spoon over the fish or something. Getting a good char on the brussel sprouts removed the green.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Casu Marzu posted:

Looks good nuff. I'd eat that.

I like slow roasting some cherry tomatoes on the side to add a pop of acid/sweet/color.

Don't know why I didn't do that, I have leftover cherry tomatoes from a salad. Next time!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Double post, because I steaked tonight:

Flank steak with chimchuri over a sherry vinaigrette kale salad. Very happy with how this turned out. I had to cook it to medium to appease everyone but it was still delicious. Flank steak best steak.

*edit* I took a picture before I sliced it, and this is seriously the best crust/color I've ever gotten on a steak with my cast iron (I didnt touch anything in PS):

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 1, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

psychokitty posted:

We just did grilled flank steak and chimichurri last week. Marinated the steak with some of the sauce for a couple of hours before grilling. So amazing. What did you put in yours?

Ended just just doing s&p on the steak. I probably could have marinated the steak in the chimichurri but I didn't think that far in advance. The sauce itself: parsley, sherry vinegar (I really like sherry vinegar now!), dried oregano (didn't have any fresh), garlic, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, extra virgin olive oil. The flavor is so pronounced but it worked great with the steak.

I actually added the sauce to some leftover pizza and it made the pizza 100% better than before.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

psychokitty posted:

I really need to buy some sherry vinegar. I used red wine vinegar because it was the best option in my kitchen at the time. I added cilantro and a shallot, and used just a bit of basil and mint because I forgot to buy fresh oregano. Didn't even think to use dried.

We loved it so much we ate it with homemade potato chips the next day and I mixed it into some mayo for BLTs (well, BSTAs - bacon, spinach, tomato, avocado).

It might have to go into my normal rotation of things to make. Chimichurri best churri.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Did you cut a muffin in half, top with two poached eggs and add some hollandaise for a delicious eggs benedict? Because that's what I want to do with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Salmon fillet with tomato raspberry salad and dino's lemon rice.

• Locked thread