Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Inescape, your dishes look really nice!

I am really liking that salmon tartare. Lots of good posts for the first page of the new thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That looks boss.

I really should do some research on sushi grade fish in North Jersey. I'm sure best bet is probaby NYC, maybe Fort Lee.

e: I'm gonna post my sushi questions in the general thread

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 15, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Doh004 posted:

Made ravioli for the first time ever!

Whole wheat ravioli with a spinach and garlic filling. Very good! Now I see why people have pasta rollers. I rolled it as thing as I possibly could and it was still thicker than I'm used to. They probably would have been more tender if they weren't 100% whole wheat, but hey I like them and will eat them The sauce was my standard red meat sauce. :)

Looks nice!

A cheap machine is on my list of things to by. Hand rolling is such a bitch and it's really noticable for ravs if it is too thick. But making your own ravs is so cool.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

thehandtruck posted:

Sup nerds made Pla Goong

Looks nice. Got a recipe??

Arrest that rear end! posted:

THE MEGA DAWG HOT DOG BREADED N DEEP FRIED WRAPPED IN GROUND BEEF GRILLED

http://imgur.com/a/EM8uA#vAvMT6X

:911: :911:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Casu Marzu posted:

Burgin so hard err day

Double chuck/sirloin/short rib smashburg patty with co-jack cheese, sliced onion, horseradish pickles and applewood smoked bacon.

This burger makes me happy.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I am generally indifferent about crepes but I would loving kill for that salmon stuffed one jesus.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Palpatine MD posted:

My first and very humble contribution to this thread, Guinness Beef stew which has been simmering for 2.5 hours. I cannot believe how great this tastes. It will go nicely with some fava beans and broccoli covered in a creamy roux.

goddamn that looks really dark and incredibly rich

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I made use of some salmon this weekend:

chopped up salmon burgers made with panko, soy, little garlic, egg. Topped with lettuce, tomato, red onion, and homemade honey bourbon sauce

also did homemade baked fries with salt pepper caynne, and a shrimp (salt, pepper, little paprika) and pancetta stuffed avacado covered in a smoked gouda cream sauce that I made

salmon hash

it was way more delicious than these terrible photos let on. I need a camera.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I fully approve of whiskey with pastrami.

I assume pastrami you definitely need a smoker for huh??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Poutine with homemade cheese curds, steak, chanterelle & beef gravy, shallots, and a poached egg

Oh my. That looks good

Reichstag posted:

(Not pictured: Garlic, spices, coffee, half another onion]

=

Your posts always make me smile

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

feelz good man posted:

Just finished some oxtails up in a French white wine sauce. I never get tired of making this sort of thing where an entire bottle of wine gets reduced to about a cup or less of sauce. :)

Gah I saw they had a sale on oxtails at the store just a minute ago but I didn't have a definite block of time over the weekend to finally try them
looks nice though!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

GrAviTy84 posted:

Dinner last night:

Borscht by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Beets, Rutabaga, and Potato. Beef cheek stock. Sour cream and dill.

First time ever having borscht. pretty good stuff! Served with homemade crusty sourdough baguette.

Borscht is great!! Though I prefer white myself. I can't believe I used to hate it as a kid. Little hunks of keilbasa and kidney beans are also great in it. Yours looks really nice! I really do gotta try making it some day

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Bánh mì with cha lua and pâté gan

That looks amazing. I still really need to go try a banh mi :smith:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Akito12345 posted:

I made chocolate truffle blocks. Also a new video :btroll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3IAS6DNjI

That looks great!

sauce mozz basil mushroom and proscuitto

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Casu Marzu posted:

Eggs benedict. Tarragon hollandaise, applewood smoked loin bacon, poached eggs, sourdough muffin.

Nice looking hollandaise!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I want all of that bacon and all of those chips at once. Very nice!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I've never seen a hollandaise recipe like that, but goddamn does that look good

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I really like that last photo casu

I did my take on a chocolate stout chili from the thread here

turned out really good! I should have learned about chiptoles in adobo ages ago

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Happy Abobo posted:

Finally tried to confit some duck. I didn't have enough duck fat to cover it, so I had to top it off with olive oil, but it still came out pretty well.

Grainy mustard, duck confit, double cream brie, kale and onion & red wine jam.

I don't think I've ever seen you post something other than a sandwich hahaha

That looks very good though!!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Combo posted:

To be honest if I wasn't married I'm not sure I would eat anything besides various sandwiches. My wife went out of town for 3 days last week and I made grilled chicken sandwiches all 3 days.

I love every single thing you post, so you aren't alone sandwich brother!

I'd probably eat more if I would get more good bread on the regular. I usually only go if I am specifically in a sangwich mood. That's the key for it to me.

I have no idea what red wine jam is but it sounds delicious.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Doom Rooster posted:

Is that bread in the shape of a silhouette of Papa Smurf nailing Smurfette, or am I just drunk?

Hhaahahha wow.

Also, what is that?? Bleu on some kind of jam?

That fiddlehead dish makes me really wanna try fiddle heads.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Went back to the marsala thread that is on here

Such a good simple recipe

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Slavvy posted:

Well, scrolling up from this will make both my food and my phone camera look like garbage; oh well! And if I'm violating some sort of GWS protocol I'm sorry, I'm in AI normally.

I have no idea what I'm doing in a kitchen and upon the advice of people I know and the quick questions thread I bought a slow cooker:

It's a 6L r&h. I wanted a 5L but my boss was picking it up for me and they ran out. He had to make an executive decision between a 3.5L and a 6L. His reasoning?

"Well I thought poo poo a 3.5L is cheaper but that's a big step down. And then I figured "he might get with someone in the future maybe" so you need to be able to feed them as well. I mean, noone can be alone forever surely haha!"

Good talk Karl!

So I tried to do something as simple and basic as imaginable; two ingredients seemed like a good bet. Bought these:

And this stuff:

It said the ratio should be one can to 400g of sausages, those packs are 450g each so it seemed reasonable to get two of each to fill my cavernous cooker. What I have done to cook it is what my friend told me to do so if you guys can tell me what to do better than this, please do! I'm clueless.

Boiled and cut up the sausages

Then they went in the fridge overnight and this morning I heaved everything into the cooker. Set it to auto, came back twelve hours later.

(I had to invert the last image because imgur insisted on showing it upside down?)

The red is much more vibrant in person and the sausage doesn't look pale and gross at all. It looks and smells delicious; doesn't taste as good as it appears but it's edible enough. Which is a million times better than what I've achieved using a pan or pot with any food.

The only thing I can really criticise is the sausage came out somewhat grainy and not infused with the flavour of the sauce stuff, the way I expected it to be. What have I done wrong? I've never had devilled sausages before so have I done anything wrong? Everything?

a good general rule of thumb is to stay away from canned crap and get fresh instead. There are exceptions where the quality isn't really diminished much or at all (canned tomatoes depending on time of year are a notable exception), but sausage is most certainly not one of them.

like someone said about chili, use this instead. It's real easy.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451852#post398069581

You could just omit the chuck and ground and just do sausages (adouille, chorizo, linguica, etc) and have the same effect.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

GrAviTy84 posted:

slow cooking fresh sausage will just end up rendering all the fat from it and result in a grainy texture.

Canned is not always bad, and for you, I think I would recommend you get the hang of just cooking for yourself for a while, build up some confidence before trying to be too ambitious and just discourage yourself

try some chicken thighs, pork shoulder, or beef chuck. These things are ideal for long slow cooking and they are very versatile.

Add some "san marzano style" tomato sauce, a few cloves of minced garlic, a minced onion, 1 rib of celery, minced, a bay leaf, and a dash of thyme. Cook for 6 hours.

definitely defer to gravity overmyself

just curious, but how would you go about cooking a chili with sausages in it?? Or we just strictly talking aobut using a slow cooker here

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

YEAH DOG posted:

If you don't want all the flavor to leech out of the sausage, just add them towards the end. Slow cooking is best for slabs of meat, not so much ground, so adding sausage and such is best in the last 15 minutes.

gotcha guys. Thanks!

And yeah, really liking the keilbasa kraut

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Bollock Monkey posted:

This is a bit off-topic, but is there any chance your friend has a recipe for melanzane parmigiana? My nonna does it loving beautifully but unfortunately, due to being an insane, elderly Italian lady, asking her for recipes doesn't tend to get you anywhere. The last time I asked her what was in the pasta she'd made she replied with "poo poo from the cupboard, why you wanna know? It tastes good, don't it?" so to capture someone else's melanzane recipe would be much appreciated!

My Italian grandmother won't share her sauce and meatball recipe because she thinks she'll die! The closest I get are some ingredients and that i should steam the meatballs in a little broth first.

but anyway, that tiramisu looks great. Can I get a recipe for that please?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That's a good looking stroganoff. Also, the crackcake makes me think of Alive haha

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Man now I really want lox.

Like that bread too

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Grand Fromage posted:

It can also be frozen if it's hard to find and you run across a bunch. Chop it up and put it in ice cube trays, cover in water. Not as good as fresh but it's good enough if you don't have any fresh available.

I've heard this general herb trick, both with water and oil. Any reason for one over the other?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I really really want that BLT man.

I should get spam one day and just try it on a loco moco

That shooter's sandwich looks wonderful too

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

sweat poteto posted:

Well it's just caramelized onions and vege stock really so.. get a big wide heavy pot (or cast iron skillet), dice half a dozen onions and fry with some crushed garlic and a bunch of oregano in a few glugs of oil on low-medium heat, stiring often until golden.

Make up some hot stock (I used a knorr thingy). Crank up the heat to caramelize the juices, mix in a tsp of flour then add stock till just covered and a bay leaf. Season, stir and let it simmer on low-med til reduced some, maybe throw in a glass of booze at this point, let that reduce and taste test. If still too mild add some more stock and let it reduce again til it's nice and oozy.

Serve with some thick bread toasted, rubbed with garlic and mustard, cheesed and grilled. Really as long as the onions are nicely brown and the stock is good you cannot go wrong. Takes maybe an hour all up.

If I may, marsala is pretty friggin awesome in onion soup. I used to use red wines until my chef buddy told me to try that. That and some thyme. Your further right pic with that reduction... man that looks goooooood

I gotta try garlic mustard bread next time though... mmmm.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

PiratePing posted:

Mango curry, my favourite way of using up gooey mangoes. Now if only I could actually find a GOOD mango here sometimes :argh:

Arepas with portobello mushrooms

Got a recipe for the mango curry? I have been on a goddman tear with eating mangos on everything.

Dog, that sandwich looks delicious and insanely filling

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Flank and London broil has been on sale a lot this summer and I loving love it

This was like 15 minutes of resting before I cut it too, and there's still juice spillage... should I be waiting longer??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Clavietika posted:

How big was that steak?

I have this problem sometimes too... I googled this and it says there's an internal temperature sweet spot you want to get to... Maybe monitoring the temp instead would help?

Like I mentioned though, I've had this problem in the past too... It could've been a poor place to rest my steaks, but I rested them for the same time, had smaller steaks than you, they were nearly cold and still bled a bunch. I've read somewhere too (Probably in GWC) that poor-quality/chain grocery stores will inject their meats with additional water to beef up their weight before selling it, which could be what we're seeing unfortunately.

Oh man I gotta give that a real sit down and read it. Serious eats rules. Thanks!

They were all around the same thickness, but some were longer or more wide than others. They were about average size for flank steak or london broil (around here they seem to label them as the same thing).

I had them resting on some kinda metal serving tray for probably between 10-15 minutes. I mean, there was an appreciable difference in waiting. My mother and brother took a little corner piece right away and blood came spilling out on one. But I remember reading here and else where about the difference in waiting, but on that cutting board it just seems like there's a decent amount of liquid still!

I have no idea the quality of the meats really. It was from shoprite, and they've usually been good in my opinion, but my opinion is not educated.

Also related: how should you be dealing with left over flank/LB? Slice it all or only slice what you need??

Feelz good, that looks awesome! Mind sharing a recipe??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

sweat poteto posted:

Party at casu's place! Pony rides and pie.

Is that shakshouka??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Look's great! I would never think to do sweet potato with it though. I actually just made some a couple days ago sans eggs, and just saved it in individual ones to heat and poach the egg. Such a great meal.

What do you put in yours?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

pasta fazoooooool

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Veritek83 posted:

Like, that's not even some sort of fancy artistic picture and it still revs my engine. I'm so excited for summer to end here, so that I can start making soups.

Instead, I'm doing pizzas mostly. Soprasatta, mozza, a little parm, in a cast iron pan.

Thanks! Yeah, we had really unseasonally cool temps here in Jersey, and based on what little I had in the fridge, I figured it was time for a good soup :) I do need a real camera soon though hahaha

Good looking pizzas, guys!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Hob_Gadling posted:

Best slice of vegetarian pizza I've ever had. Red beet, crushed hazelnuts, parmesan and Emmental cheese. Sauce was crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper and lots of olive oil simmered until all water had cooked away. Crushed tomato mass on bottom, flavored oil on top.

That sounds pretty goddamn badass. Did you do anything to the beets??

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

That looks wonderful!!

I made a batch of pulled pork, and turned them into tacos.

I really need to make my own salsa verde one day soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

You eat the skin and all I assume??

I went all latin the last couple days.
Feijoada with chorizo (smoked and fresh) linguica (fresh), leftover pulled pork, and some bacon lardons. Threw the pork shoulder bone in too and all the congealed fat at the bottom of the tupperwear. It was swell

I also made a whole boatload of empanadas. This is after there was a run on them already. Shredded chicken and pulled pork

• Locked thread