Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
After lurking this thread for years, now that we finally got a 70D I think we're ready to start contributing. Last night was sushi night.

Sushi is really great because it isn't super difficult to prepare (hardest part is preparing the rice) and you can also just sort of improvise with it and try different things. One roll was maki sushi with salmon and piquant pepper jelly, one was a California roll with just salmon (forgot the avocado) and then a weird one where we just put slices of smoked scarmorza. Had to use Kikkoman soy sauce because we can't find any good brands around here :negative:. I'm pretty happy with how the pictures turned out but we'd also appreciate any advice you guys can offer about taking pictures of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Normally I'm repulsed at the thought of cheese (specifically cream cheese) in sushi, but the idea of smoked scamorza sounds amazing. How were they?

Underwhelming sadly, the smokiness didn't really come through at all.

Awesome, I see Gravity wrote it. We went back through and found all of Gravity's posts in this thread and that's definitely something to aspire to. For these pictures we played with the white balance a little bit in iPhotos but we don't have any more serious software. i have to read up a on a lot of the technical stuff but there was also some very good general advice.

Tonight we made a red curry using one of the recipes we got from the Thai cooking class we took last fall. Had to use anise instead of Thai basil but overall it was a very satisfying meal. Fresh pineapple juice martinis with some muddled ginger (ginger flavor didn't really through, still getting the hang of muddling) but they were still good.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

twoot posted:

Half pound burgers with spiced cheddar, onions, and chips. I made the enriched dough mustard buns and BBQ sauce.

After seeing these, we (veggie) burged.

The patty was lentils, chick peas, flour, olive oil, salt and pepper, and onions. It was great.

Tonight we had a summer bean salad:

Now that I discovered bokeh it's a cool idea to play around with. I wish I would have waited to pour the drink so that the glass would have still been frosty when I took the picture. Also after reading the tutorial I realised that it isn't just me who can't take zoomed-out pictures of the whole spread while making the food look good, that's apparently just something true with food photography.

Also confession time: my wife is the one doing most of the actual cooking, I just chop things and do the dishes and take the pictures.

baw fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 1, 2014

baw
Nov 5, 2008

A few from earlier this week. Definitely need to download Lightroom and figure out white balance because ya everything is orange.

Babaganoosh and hummus with piadina. also a pie.

Musket posted:

Photo crit time:

If you are serious about taking good food photos, do yourself a favor and download Lightroom or pay for the Lightroom/Photoshop photographers combo for 10bux a month and start to edit your images in a more professional environment. I say this because your Wb is off on most of these.

Photo 1: Decent use of DoF to seperate the fore and backgrounds. I would have probably brought the camera down lower to get more of the front sushi roll on its flat surface to show off more texture. Maybe get closer to isolate that front piece even more to give it more attention.

Photo 2: is very distracting from a food perspective. Be mindful of your backgrounds if you are trying to preset the food in a serious way. I would have removed the bottle in the back left. I would have give this a more dramatic perspective by either shooting topdown or zooming into the food more and cutting out the cluttered background. Your WB is off too on this. Everything has a warm/yellow tint that throws everything off.

There is a food thread in the dorkroom where you can get bullycurated by some very good foodtographers. We are not mean but we dont pull punches. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235973

Woof! Woof! posted:

Good photo composition probably depends on good subject composition.
Your sushi seems pretty haphazardly placed, it's kind of just cluttered and inconsistent.
Also maybe consider not using glass plates since they kind of just make everything look like your aunt made it.

That's not to say I doubt it was good. I would happily have ate it.

Great info, sadly I will have to wait a few months before I can play with it because it's back to work for now.

god i really should not be reading this thread anymore

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

What kind of raspberry custard pie is that??? It looks yum. Recipe.

We found the recipe here, with olive oil instead of butter. It was awesome but we shoulda let it chill in the fridge for a bit to solidify.

e:

google translate suffices for translating the recipe

baw fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Been able to take some pictures recently, still trying to figure things out:

Pancakes with berries:

Greek Yogurt with Pomegranate and sheep

Piadina with Cus Cus and Salad

Panino with bean burger

I haven't sprung for any software yet but I'm starting to see the limitations of iPhoto so it might be time. I tried setting white balance using the method in the Wiki but things still seem yellow.

• Locked thread