Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Asked about duck breast in the general questions thread over the last couple days and made it tonight.

Sorry for the lovely depth of field, was getting looks from the gf suggesting if I took another picture it would be my last. Ended up going with garlic/onion mashed potatoes and seared some asparagus in the fat from the duck skin (not a health kick dish). Plum sauce isn't pictured, had it in a gravy kind of container, turned out well but was used sparingly since both of us aren't crazy about plum sauce.

Overall it was good, I probably overcooked it a tad. I used a dusting of fivespice with clear honey and salt/pepper to season the duck and very nearly added asine seeds without realizing it was (powerfully) in the fivespice already. It was basted in butter with thyme after being turned fat side up on the pan and the whole thing was put in the oven.

It was a really interesting experience cooking a meat protein I've never tried before as well as using spices that I've never added to anything. I'll have to order it sometime properly done and really pay attention to how they season it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KuroMayuri posted:

We made spag vol. Might not seem like much but you try finding clams on the UK...

Oh and sourdough bread & butter pudding.

Looks really good! Is it that hard to find clams in the UK? What makes it difficult? I thought they were salt water and the UK is a big island in the ocean?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bob_McBob posted:

Burged with my doge assistant

Looks amazing - what did you add in terms of seasoning?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

franco posted:

All as kickass as usual from you! My favourite has to be the roulade - that's a showstopper.

I made Gnocchi di Spinaci e Ricotta. Never made gnocchi before and these are pretty trad despite not being the potato-based variety. I think I didn't use quite enough spinach (and didn't chop it finely enough) and a slight overuse of carrot in the tomato sauce has made it a rather alarming orange colour (not helped by 3am unnatural lighting) but I was pretty pleased overall.

I also made gnocchi tonight, definitely the potato based variety. It's amazing how much yield you get with this.

Photo isn't that great and neither was the plating!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

franco posted:

:hfive: potato-style are next on my list. Did you follow a specific recipe or wing it?

This is actually my first time making it without going for easy bolognese, my background Italian and we traditionally make it that way every Christmas. I wanted to look for something different and found some Ramsey video where he uses the peas, seasoning with thyme, S+P, and zest of lemon. Subsequent batches turned out way better as I learned you actually have to individually flip them in the pan to achieve the sear properly.

For the gnocchi itself (for 3-4 servings), just 3 medium/large high-starch potatoes boiled/baked until tender with skin on, peel the skin, put them through a potato ricer, 1 egg (a lot of people use just the yolk), and around 1/4-1/2 cup of flour as needed until you can roll the dough out into the strings and cut it to size. Seasoning of the gnocchi while it's still a dough is a good idea as is being as gentle as possible while folding it to consistency. Boiling water, let them rise to top for 30s or so-> hot pan with olive oil, sear one side, flip and add a couple knobs of butter, season, serve. I'm sure there are some neat tricks you can do as well but I've no real culinary training and very limited experience. I know a lot of people do their own little spin on shaping each piece of dough a certain way once it's cut but as long as they were fairly regular I just textured the top of them on the cutting board with a fork :effort:

Sorry for the dense wall of text but it's a dense food.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ogopogo posted:

Tried my hand at rosemary garlic pork chops and polenta. Tasty as gently caress.

This looks amazing. Did you bake them before throwing them on a pan for a sear or were they done entirely on pan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Made some pan-fried red snapper fillets tonight.

e: small pot is for the drizzle, was mostly comprised of white wine, lemon juice, garlic/shallot. Pretty good all in all, my first time frying fish.

• Locked thread