Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Chicken noodle soup from scratch.

That looks delish. I bought a whole chicken from the farmers market today. I roasted it and we had it for dinner, and now I'm gonna throw the carcass in a crockpot and make some bone broth. Then I'm gonna make soup from the bone broth.

I have never attempted this, so we'll see if I can get a good gel going.

ALSO I found a can of chipotle is adobo sauce, and some dried ancho at the spice merchant, so I'm going to make a new chilli this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

copper rose petal posted:

Throw the tops and bottoms of two onions, a bay leaf and the leafy part of a celery in there too, it'll save you some time and you'll already have the aromatics in there!

I will do this! Also the recipe I found said to throw in a teaspoon of cider vinegar to help breakdown everything and to get the good poo poo out.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

So that's all the bone broth I got out of a 4 quart slow cooker. I let it simmer on low for a full 24 hours. Did I do it wrong? How much should I yield from that?

I guess I'll add some store bought broth so I have enough volume for soup.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Final product. Pretty tasty actually.

My bone broth was a litre, so I topped it up with a litre of organic store bought broth. I didn't touch it when it was just my bone broth, but I did just now and it was, surprisingly, sticky. I used a chicken carcass that was 4 pounds whole, so it was probably 2 pounds of bones? I don't actually know how that works. Next time I'll use more bones and maybe let it simmer a bit longer.

It's going to sound bizarre but I had crazy knee surgery 2 weeks ago and I am using the bone broth kind of as a dietary supplement to support my bones, since they where mercilessly hacked apart.

I just made "cinnamon breakfast puffs" so I'll post a pic when they're cool and coated.

ETA:

They have allspice, nutmeg, orange peel and ground cloves in them, the cinnamon is on top. Could use cinnamon in actual dough, I think.

Echeveria fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 19, 2014

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Uh no. Bone broth is just really high in the things my body needs right now, and they are a bit easier to absorb. S'all I'm saying.

Also I'm on medical leave and will be for like 3 months, so I decided to gently caress around in the kitchen a lot. In my walker.

Echeveria fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 19, 2014

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I made stew in my Dutch Oven (I haven't used it yet, it was a wedding gift)!

It looks gross but it was so delicious!

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

Grilled strip, roasted brussels, aligot.

Oh god give me that.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Casu Marzu posted:

I ended up using like 8 apples, cooking it for like 75 minutes, and mixing the batter through a bit more thoroughly.

Oh. My.

I think I will make this for Saturday breakfast.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I didn't get a chance to take pictures (my husband was so hungry, he practically leaped into the roasting pan), but I made a gorgeous roast chicken last night, with roasted yams and baby yellow potatoes, and a salad. It was delicious.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Klenath posted:

Post-braise with the mashed potatoes, covered in its own (delicious) filth

This looks delicious, unfortunately my husband really doesn't like pork. I might grab a roast today and make a pot roast, though. Om nom.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Mister Blueberry posted:

I always thought that you don't eat pork when you aren't allowed or something. This not liking pork thing is new to me.

He likes bacon and ham, but that is pretty much it. Pork chops or loin he does not care for. So I just don't buy it. I live in Alberta so we eat a lot of really delicious beef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

nuru posted:

Did he grow up with bad midwestern pork chops? It's not possible to dislike well made pork.

No, we're Canadian. He just doesn't seem to like the taste. I've tried chops, loin, shredded pork, and pork sausages. Sometimes I try and trick him, and he'll be like "wtf this tastes gross". I don't bother any more.

• Locked thread