Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Valentine's Day Dinner
(Please excuse the interspersed smudgy camera-phone photos. I was busy cooking. :) )

AMUSE

Pacific Oysters
House-made horseradish sauce

STARTER

Prosciutto-wrapped Grilled Endive
Mâche rosettes, bleu cheese, 18 year balsamic

SECOND COURSE

Smoked Salmon Tartare
Crème fraîche, capers, parmesan tuile

THIRD COURSE

Prosciutto Skewers
La Quercia Prosciutto Americano
12 month aged manchego, toasted walnuts

FOURTH COURSE

Diver Scallops
Prosciutto Americano chip, cremini mushroom sauce
white cheddar + truffle cauliflower mash

DESSERT

Pot de Crème au Chocolat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

WaterIsPoison posted:

Palak Paneer with homemade Naan.

Looks tasty... Also, is that an IKEA paper lamp? If so, might I recommend a dab of blue loctite on the pull?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Manifresh posted:

I've had a difficult time locating human meat in my local mega-mart, but I will have to keep an eye out for it so I can make authentic posole sometime.

I'll keep that in mind for the next GWS Secret Santa. We all love authenticity.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I occasionally pile some of my pasta on a slice of garlic bread and eat that, seems like this is a more efficient version of the same idea.

Same here... It may defy all logic and reason, but starch on starch is pretty great sometimes.

For example, I make some badass baked potato soup--I think I have posted the recipe here before. It starts out with a roux, and is basically a mornay / cheesy gravy, with 5lbs of potatoes added. It's liquid starch. How do you eat it? With a nice hunk of baguette, that's how. You dip that poo poo!

What about biscuits and gravy? That's a loving great starch on starch combo right there.

Also, my wife says spaghetti bread's all over Pinterest, but I find that hard to believe, since I don't think you can make it in a crockpot.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Sjurygg posted:

It's incredibly easy. I didn't have to use the immersion blender, and the cheese melted in easily in four batches. Seasoned with a little bit of nutmeg, it didn't need salt. I think it'll be even better with all cheddar. I also have a huge slab of Swedish goat cheese that might come in handy... :getin:

I will say, there's a pretty big stability difference between hand-whisked and stick-blendered sodium citrate emulsified cheese. I've had a few cases where hand-whisking just couldn't quite pull it all together. With a stick blender, it gets "thicker" earlier, and seems to be able to take on more liquid.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I just got a new pressure cooker, and decided to break it in with a pork ragu. Then, I took a lovely cellphone picture!

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I made Beef and Noodles. Then, as an afterthought, I took a pic with my cellphone.

Growing up, this was my favorite meal, hands down. I remember it being an all day affair, with hand-rolled and cut noodles that took up the entire table, and a roast simmering away for hours and hours.

With a pressure cooker and the KitchenAid's pasta roller attachments, I started it at 6PM and it was on the table before 8PM.

Is there anything better or more comforting than homemade egg noodles?

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I cooked some Canadian Bacon...

4 day wet cure, pellicle cats, then hickory smoked to perfection.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
176 Fleur de Sel Caramels...

I also made some smoked ham and potato soup, for an actual meal, but didn't take a picture of it.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Jamsta posted:

Nice work!

I was going to make this with standard Cornish seasalt and fudge.

What temp did you get your mixture to? Got a recipe?

I do, actually. It's in the candy thread somewhere, but I will summarize:

Stage 1: Hot Sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar

Whisk together and SLOWLY bring this to 317F. No more than 60% power to the burner for medium/medium high heat. Caramelization is a function of both time and temperature. This part should take about 15 minutes, and be a darkish golden brown. No need to stir once it is boiling, so while it's getting up to temp, start on stage 2, because it needs to go in the instant you hit 317F.

Stage 2: Cream: Get on top
5TB unsalted butter
1 TSP Fleur de Sel (or other flaky salt)
1 TSP vanilla
1 cup heavy cream

Mix all of these together and heat up in a pan on the stove, or in a large Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. Be sure to stir it well to incorporate the salt.

Pour into your 317F sugar lava, take off heat, and stir to fully combine. It will boil up quickly so be careful and use a sauce pan with high walls.

Return to medium/medium high heat and boil until it reaches 247F, stirring occasionally.

Pour into a parchment or foil lined and buttered 9x9 metal cake pan. Or, whatever equivalent you have. I use a silicone candy mold. Once it mostly cools, you can roll it and cut it into pieces. Once it's fully cooled, sprinkle Fleur de Sel on the caramels and wrap.

Edit: Also, if you want the best toffee you've ever had, take stage 2 to 298F, pour into a buttered 9x9 metal cake pan, and quickly sprinkle on 1/2 cup of roughly chopped cashews, using a silicone spatula to smooth. Once it cools, break apart and be in awe at the ridiculousness. I just did this, and oh holy poo poo.

PainBreak fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 23, 2013

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

bombhand posted:

I finally took a picture of a food so I can post in here!

I got a pasta roller for Christmas, so I made noodles. A tin of diced tomatoes, with onion, garlic, celery, carrot, mushroom, and red pepper, over regular flour+egg noodles. I'm not a super cheffy chef so this is pretty good for me!

That looks wonderful, and... drat, there's nothing better than having a pasta roller. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I made some bacon, so I lopped off 1/4 lb, cubed it up and made Bucatini all'Amatriciana.

• Locked thread