Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, you want a nice balance of noodles and lettuce so it is very fresh tasting and light. You want a bit of herbs like Thai basil or Chinese chives as well. Then a little something for some crunch like carrot as suggested or cucumber.

For shrimp, a hoisin based dipping sauce would be good though fish sauce would work too. http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Cooking_Vietnamese#Prepared_hoisin_sauce.2Fpeanut_sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

psychokitty posted:

Ok so less noodle. I think my wrappers were too thick too, so any brand recommendations? I used basil, mint, and cilantro. And a sliver of scallion green. Forgot about lettuce or cucumber. There was carrot in the sauce, which was a delicious sweet slightly spicy vinegar sauce that I used to pickle my carrot and jalapeņo for the banh mi. It's just the roll was soooo bland that even delicious sauce couldn't compensate.

A pickling liquid just doesn't seem a sufficient sauce. You want something with some umami because there isn't much in the roll itself. Add some fish sauce to your pickling liquid at the least, but for a tart/spicy sauce make the dipping fish sauce from that same wiki page. You want a balance of sour/salty/sweet/spicy, your pickling liquid is probably too much on just the sour side. With a more balanced sauce it might not even be too much noodles.

Using all three herbs is a clash in flavors. Use just basil.

The wrapper does look kind of thick. I like the Red Rose and Three Ladies brands.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
The long soak is the definite culprit. You shouldn't soak the rice papers at all. Submerge the paper into water just enough to get it all wet and shake off excess water. Let if sit for a couple minutes and then it will soften.

Though I still think salt alone is insufficient to season your dipping sauce, as I said, you are missing umami which is separate from saltiness. Your sauce may be fine alone but nothing in the roll itself is seasoned.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Pork chops with a pan sauce, fried plantains, sauteed green beans.

I had some short ribs and wanted to get dinner together relatively quickly and wondered why if you can grill short ribs when doing them Korean style why not just grill them straight up? Some googling reassured me this was a thing and now that I think back on it I'm pretty sure Wiggles has mentioned grilling short ribs before too. It was good. With chimichurri, roasted potatoes, and elotes.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Thanks! I take about an extra minute to plate, not too fiddly but I do take a step back to arrange, such as placing the slices of beef on the plate 1-2 at a time instead of just slopping it on, adjusting the angle of the corn, things like that. Then I snap a bunch of pictures from a few different angles, probably another minute. I'll go through the pictures and see which shot looks nicest whenever I have time to download the pictures off the memory card.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Baked a loaf of bread last night, had leftover short rib, so "steak" and eggs time.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Smashed a burg. I was too lazy and did all four patties at the same time so couldn't smash it as flat as I liked and the buns were overproofed so the burg was a bit.. tall.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Yummm sprouts. I haven't had a sprout in awhile, I should fix that.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah but short rib isn't a steak cut. Short ribs are a braising or smoking cut, precisely because it's grisly and chewy. After a few hours of low and slow cooking that gristle becomes gelatin and the chewy gives way to melty.

It's actually great grilled like a steak if you get a boneless cut and cut it thinly against the grain afterward. I love braised short ribs too but it has great flavor, so I love it as a steak, cooked hot and fast. Then there's of course Korean style which is cut thin and marinated which also works.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Pappardelle with bolognese.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Dan dan mian. Made a denser chewier noodle yesterday, today did a softer noodle (pictured), not sure which I prefer.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is awesome. You're awesome. :allears:

No, you!

Nicol Bolas posted:

Excuse me, I need a recipe for this immediately or else I will die for lack of dan dan. (The place around the corner makes it really, really well, but it's too spicy for my partner, so making it at home and spicing it a little less for him seems like a home run.)

There are a lot of different versions out there. A good base to start with is Gravity's recipe in the Chinese thread.

I based mine off a slightly different Fuchsia Dunlop recipe:

(for two)

mix sauce well:
1.5 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (this should be more sweet than salty, you can also use 2 tb light soy sauce total + add sugar)
2 tablespoons sesame paste (I used peanut butter because I couldn't find Chinese sesame paste - it's different from tahini)
1/2 - 1 tsp toasted and ground sichuan peppercorn
4 tablespoons chili oil with sediment

In wok:

1. Heat up some oil over medium heat and toss in a few dried de-seeded sichuan peppers and a half teaspoon of whole sichuan peppercorns
2. They'll sizzle and quickly before they burn add in 25 grams of ya cai (preserved mustard green - had trouble finding this, you can use some other Chinese preserved veg or maybe add a bit of bean paste for that bit of funk), stir quickly
3. Turn heat to high add in 100-200 grams ground beef and brown well
4. Add a teaspoon or two of soy sauce to season

Put together:

1. Place sauce in bottom of your bowls/dishes
2. Place cooked wheat noodles on top
3. Top with the ground beef and some green onion

mich
Feb 28, 2003
For a chewier noodle, I did 160 grams bread flour, 1/4 cup water and a bit more, 1/2 tsp kansui (you can also use baked baking soda). The dough will barely come together. Rest 1 hour, roll out in pasta maker (mine goes from #6 - #1, I did #6 / fold dough a few times until smooth then down to #3). You can then fold the noodle sheets gently and hand cut with a knife or run through the spaghetti cutter setting of the pasta maker which is what I did on the pictured batch.

For a softer noodle I did 180 grams all purpose flour, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 tsp kansui.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Grilled chee with sodium citrated aged cheddar on a sourdough pain de mie, kohlrabi "fries", sauteed beet greens.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Borscht with black bread.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Turkey leg confit (sous vide 150 F for 24 hours), mashed potatoes, roasted brussels sprouts.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Tried out a couple of the Serious Eats Thanksgiving posts, "turkchetta" and stuffing waffles.

And cross post from Cook or Die, bun bo hue:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
No nutmeg in pho but yeah, bun bo hue isn't a type of pho, it's a different soup. This is how I do it:

Bun Bo Hue - Spicy Hue Style Noodle Soup

broth:
1-2 lb pork hocks
3-4 lb pork neckbones (or mix of pork and beef bones)

2 tb neutral oil
1 tb annato seeds

1-1.5 lb beef shank (Asian grocery stores will usually sell beef shank cut lengthwise off the bone, often labeled "conical shank" - will be easier to cut into slices for the soup)
1-1.5 lb boneless pork leg

2 medium onions
3-5 cloves garlic
1/2 tb red pepper flakes
1/2 tb paprika
1.5 tablespoon of mam ruoc (shrimp paste)... it comes jarred in the Asian market, looks purplish brownish and smells very strongly

5 quarts water
2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
1-2 teaspoon sugar/.5 - 1 oz rock sugar
salt and black pepper to taste (start with ~2 tb kosher salt)
six stalks of lemongrass - cut the stalks in half. For three of the stalks, smash the lower end to expose more surface area. For the other three, peel off the outer layer and cut the softer inner white portion into chunks
1/2 a large pineapple core, or the core plus a slice of a small pineapple

spice mix:
2-3 Tb neutral oil, just enough to coat the rest of the ingredients
the white part of the three stalks of lemongrass, minced, about 3 tablespoons
2-3 tablespoons minced shallots
1-2 clove garlic minced
1-2 tb red pepper flakes
1/2 tb paprika
1 tsp shrimp paste
1 tsp fish sauce

noodles:
bun bo hue rice noodles, boiled ... you want round "bun" noodles that are thicker than the very thin vermicelli bun noodles. and not flat noodles or pho noodles. about 3-4 ounces of noodles per bowl. Also, many times the packages for these noodles say to boil 3-5 minutes but that is way too short, keep testing them, many brands take 15+ minutes

garnish:
chopped green onions, thinly sliced onion, cilantro

veg and herb platter (you don't have to have every single one, but have at least one crunchy vegetable thing and some herbs): bean sprouts, shredded banana blossom, shredded water spinach stems, shredded cabbage can be substituted for banana blossom and water spinach stems if you can't find it, Thai basil, purple perilla (tia to), Vietnamese coriander (rau ram), lime

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add ham hocks and bones to parboil them for just a few minutes. Rinse bones and rinse out pot

2. Steep oil with annato seeds over medium heat for a few minutes, then strain out the oil into the large pot. Briefly sear the beef shank and pork leg in the pot, sest it aside, then add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika, and shrimp paste and saute briefly.

3. Add the water, fish sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper and stir to evenly distribute. Then add back in the beef shank, pork, bones, and hocks. Add the lemongrass stalks (set aside the smaller chunks) and pineapple. Let the pot simmer for a couple hours.

4. After 1-2 hours, remove the pork hocks and leg. After 3 hours remove the beef shank. Cool the meats in a bowl of cold water before storage. After cool, slice the meats thinly. Adjust seasoning as needed for the broth and continue simmering another 3 hours or overnight.

5. To make the spice mix, heat the oil with lemongrass, shallots, garlic, red pepper flakes, and paprika over medium low heat until it begins to sizzle. Stir and let the shallot and garlic lightly brown, for 10 - 20 minutes, adjusting the heat to make sure it doesn't burn. At the end, season with the shrimp paste and fish sauce and let it go for another 5 minutes or so.

6. After broth has finished simmering, strain out the solids. Add about half of the spice mix to taste, reserving some on the side so that individuals can adjust the spice level of their individual bowl.

7. To serve, submerge sliced meat and hocks in broth to warm up. Put noodles in a bowl and top with meats. Add the onion/green onion/cilantro. Ladle in your broth. Add stuff from the veg platter as desired and additional spice mix to each bowl.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
The Chinese sausage sandwich looks good but I am not sure what makes it a Vietnamese sandwich? No pickle or cilantro which are key components to the flavor profile of one. Unless that is the pickle stir fried in there with the sausage?

BBQ chat: I recently had some barbecue from what that wiki article classifies as the "Pee Dee" region. Whole hog and vinegar/pepper based sauce, man it was good.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Yom.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Chicken and dumplings.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

The heck is chorizo oil?

Render the fat from chorizo in some oil.. can slice into rounds and bake for a bit in a pan just submerged in oil or do it in a pan on the stove. It goes really well with firm white-fleshed fishes or scallops.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Benton's country ham with red eye gravy, biscuits, eggs.

Pork chop, sauteed fennel and apple, mashed rutabaga.

Falafel.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Cheesteak and poutine

Benton's bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

Pho

When we finished up the pot of broth but still had some meat left, made fried rice.

Rice porridge with chicken

Pizza

Ribeye with duck fat home fries and creamed spinach

mich
Feb 28, 2003
It was a leftovers meal so there wasn't a ton of gravy left, it's mostly in the middle. :ssh:

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Rice porridge is really easy.

First, optionally toast rice at the bottom of your pot until it looks opaque.

Add broth, I used some chicken broth I had on hand. I like to start with a 1:4 ratio of rice:broth, then sometimes add a bit more broth at the end. I like mine a bit on the thin side, but you can make it thicker too.

Add a chunk of ginger, some salt and fish sauce. Then let it simmer until the rice is broken down. Fish out the ginger.

I had leftover chicken so I just added that at the end to reheat, then seasoned with more fish sauce and topped with sliced onion, green onion, cilantro, and black pepper. You can season with other things, but I tend to just like adding a decent bit of fish sauce.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Sautee the spinach with some onion or shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, then put in a colander to drain any excess liquid. I press on it with a spatula to drain more.

Make a mornay sauce with cream (roux with butter and flour, cream, cheese). I didn't add a whole ton of cheese just a bit of cheddar, then seasoned with nutmeg, salt, pepper.

Mixed the spinach into the sauce, baked at 350 F until bubbly and starting to brown.

The leftover steak and potatoes went into making a bit of a hash, eaten over a baby kale salad with a couple fried eggs.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Kao ka moo, a Thai braised/barbecue pork dish.

Vietnamese chicken curry with baguette.

Dosa with masoor daal. Thanks dino!

mich
Feb 28, 2003

guppy posted:

Today I made peanut tempeh spring rolls (recipe).

The rice paper in that recipe looks really bloated. Next time you try this, try a different method for the rice paper. It doesn't need a 10-15 second or any length of soak. If you dip the rice paper in water just long enough so that the entire surface is wet, then place the paper on the surface you're using to wrap, and then just give it a minute or two, that will be enough water to hydrate the paper. The end result will be a thinner, more delicate wrap. When you oversoak rice paper it gets a bit rubbery.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Vietname...cu.E1.BB.91n.29

mich
Feb 28, 2003
Yum, kittenmittons, that is a bunch of really good lookin eats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003

franco posted:

The perils of not specifying which kind of soy sauce in a recipe! I've always been (for the most part) "light as an ingredient and dark as a condiment" but some recent discussion here says that should be the other way round. So I trusted that and went dark...yeah. The colour should be a complete giveaway that she used light. No matter - was quick and tasty as hell. What's a difference of colour between friends?

Generally if the type of soy sauce is not specified, use light soy sauce.

The difference between light and dark soy sauce is not ingredient/condiment. Light soy sauce is saltier while dark soy sauce is thicker, has a bit of deeper flavor, and usually sweeter. So use one or the other or both depending which of those flavors you're trying to add to your sauce.

• Locked thread