Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm a relative novice, I learned to cook in college from an ex and was ahead of the game for my age for a while, and then didn't continue learning anything and fell behind. For the past 8 months or so I've been trying to improve again and I'm enjoying it. Here's cell phone pictures from tonight's meal:

Flatbread with hummus, heavy on the garlic

Curried green lentils

Raspberry sorbet

As you might have guessed, I got a food processor recently. Everything is from scratch except the flatbread, which I bought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Been cookin'. Still new at this, but I'm trying to explore new things and also figure out how to use up odds and ends so they don't go to waste. I had about a cup of black-eyed peas left over from trying Hoppin' John last month, and decided to use them up in a partial recipe of fritters (recipe from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian, variation on falafel.

Tofu masala scramble, out of Anupy Singla's Vegan Indian Cooking.

Spicy red kidney bean rajmah. Recipe from Smitten Kitchen: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/02/red-kidney-bean-curry/

Red lentil coconut curry. Tastes way better than it cooks, first curry I've ever made that tasted restaurant quality. Recipe from Epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Coconut-Red-Lentil-Curry-236684

And here's the Hoppin' John, even though it was a month ago. This is a vegan version, from Thug Kitchen: http://thugkitchen.com/post/71639474720/hoppin-john-is-not-only-a-staple-recipe-for-good

(I'm not a vegan, or even a vegetarian, but I do cook and eat a mostly vegetarian diet.) I have No-Knead bread finishing rising in a bowl right now as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Saturday night I made some pico de gallo. Sunday morning I woke up and thought huevos rancheros sounded nice. I didn't have some of the key ingredients. Like tortillas. Or cheese. So I improvised.

I did have 1/3 batch of leftover roti dough in my freezer, so I thawed that and made chapatis to use instead. I frequently lack the foresight to soak beans, so I keep some canned beans around; I have no idea how this is usually done, but I rinsed and drained the beans, and got a pan going with some oil in it. I went pretty nontraditional on the seasonings; cumin seeds in the oil, followed by scallions and garlic, then added the beans. Bit of cilantro, and a bit of cinnamon, and some crushed red chiles.

I have leftover beans and pico de gallo, and these days I usually have leftover rice, so this morning I had a big plate of rice, beans, scrambled eggs (fresh, obviously), and pico. Enough for tomorrow left as well.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I woke up at the crack of dawn today, so I made chickpea tabbouleh before work.

Probably chop the celery finer next time. This is lunch all week probably. Maybe a couple dinners, too, it's a lot. Recipe from Thug Kitchen by way of Mark Bittman.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Clanrat posted:

It's a Swedish pastry called "vetelängder". I got the recipe from here

I don't have access to any form of yeast that I would "crumble," I don't think, but I have packets of "instant yeast" that are usually what I bake with, distinct from normal "active dry yeast." That recipe says that fresh and instant yeast are the same thing, which doesn't seem to be true. Any idea how much of that I would use?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hob_Gadling posted:

15-20g of dried yeast should do the trick. The ratio is 3:1 fresh to dried. Note that dry yeast may need higher water temperature to work.

Thanks! I will try it and report back.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Red beans and rice seem to be going around lately, this was my first stab at it.

I've been meaning to try this for a while but it took me a long time and a friend's advice to get a recipe I thought looked good. I again profaned the good name of New Orleans by making it vegetarian, but other than that I am really happy with how it came out.

Starting from the recipe I was given, I omitted the bacon and sausage and did not replace them. I used white pepper instead of black. My recipe called for 7 cups of stock and 7 cups of water, but I ran out of room in my pot at 7 and 4; I figured I could add more if needed as it simmered down, but I decided it looked fine, and I would maybe even use a little less next time. I used liquid smoke to get the smoky flavor without the andouille; I used 1 tsp and it's good, but i might add a little more next time.

I have nothing to compare it to except Popeye's, but my friend from NOLA says it looks the way it should!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
The red beans and rice were a few days ago, and I still have tons of leftovers, but I don't want to be eating it twice a day. So I made a ratatouille at the suggestion of a chef friend.

You might say "But there's no eggplant in there," to which I say "Shut up." I didn't have any, and I also had lots of zucchini but no other squash, and only green bell peppers. So I used what I had and accepted that it would be slightly less polychromatic. I also added a serrano because chiles are life.

db franco posted:

what's like the base of it, though? coconut milk?

i wonder if i put those spices in my vitamix with some coconut and a jalapeno i'd have curry.

probably not :/

I'm not totally convinced this is a serious question, but: "Curry" is a more or less meaningless term. It's a gigantic umbrella that means nothing specific, so the question isn't meaningful as phrased. It doesn't even necessarily tell you the country of origin. Some have coconut milk, some don't, to answer your specific question.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Breaky posted:

That looks great. You should post it in here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570811

so the thread doesn't go to archives. I haven't made anything distinctly cajun in a while and haven't gotten a chance to update.

Thank you! I wouldn't normally waste a post just to say thank you, but compared to some of the GWS folks I'm a rank amateur, so when I get compliments in here it makes, like, my whole month. I'm from Baltimore and while I've been to Louisiana I'm about the farthest thing from a native, so it's an extra charge to get the seal of approval on a signature dish from a local. I posted it in the other thread as requested.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I love breakfast and French Toast is the King Louis of Breakfast!

Thank you for this, I wanted breakfast but couldn't decide what to make. I have not gotten to the store yet, so I am out of staples like eggs. I looked up a no-egg french toast recipe (this one, basically just thicken the milk-and-vanilla wash with corn starch, you could use soy or almond milk and make it properly vegan if you wanted) and made that and it was delicious.

I picked up the rectangular plates yesterday as part of my project to improve my presentation (purely for my own benefit, I'm not a professional). In retrospect I should have left the bowl of yogurt out of the photo -- would have looked better with the slices more spread out and just the small bowl of maple syrup offsetting it. Originally I had also drizzled some syrup on the plate under the slices, but then I moved them around and you can't see it anymore. I also couldn't think of anything more inventive to do with the appearance of the yogurt. Oh well, it was all tasty. Breakfast is the sport of kings.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Today I made peanut tempeh spring rolls (recipe).

Mine have tempeh (in the peanut marinade), carrot, cucumber, and scallions, with a bit of basil.

I also made pizza today, but I ruined it :( After eight minutes I checked on it and it was almost done, but I wanted the cheese to brown a little so I let it go for literally two more minutes and the cheese burned significantly. Let my failure serve as an example to others: watch that poo poo like a hawk. I still ate it, but it was not very good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Noted, thank you!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

baw posted:

I'm pretty happy with how the pictures turned out but we'd also appreciate any advice you guys can offer about taking pictures of food.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Photography

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Pozole rojo.

Includes onion, zucchini, hominy, and tempeh; scallion garnish. Recipe from the Thug Kitchen cookbook.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

I want to eat this more than I have ever wanted anything.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was involved in a pretend argument with some Brits about what a "biscuit" is, wherein we patiently explained that no, they are not scones. I was inspired and made biscuits for breakfast this morning. God bless America.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Black bean empanadas, and quinoa with sautéed chard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Night bakin'.

Cranberry orange scones for brunch tomorrow. Well, today now, I didn't post this til the morning.

• Locked thread