Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

This thread is a blast from the past!! Click here to leave a reply about how disappointed you were with this game!!

I just watched the trailer for this on steam after getting the pre-order notification. Is anyone else completely not blown away by what's next in the series? Everything looks dated from graphics to mechanics and I think you would have to be functionally retarded to play RE games for the delicate tapestry that is the plot. Looks to be even more poo poo than 5, any other comments?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard a lot about how it's a very good action game buried under a lot of obtuse stuff. If you totally hated 5, it doesn't sound like you would like this one. Personally I'm interested in it.

There is a playthrough of this going on in the LP forum, so you might want to check that out to help you decide.

voltron lion force
Sep 15, 2010

I can't tell if you know this came out months ago on consoles or not...

I've heard its pretty bad, but I'll be picking it up anyways since its only 40 bucks on steam and I'll actually be able to get people to play it with me on PC. The plot looks like they tried to make every single fan of the series happy and probably fail in some spectacular way.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Flight is a scientific impossibility.

Conan O'Brien gave it a pretty good review, maybe you should reconsider.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The first 10 seconds of this video says all that you need to know.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

But yeah it's a bad game don't buy it. The core system is actually fantastic but the game does absolutely nothing to play to that, and the entire design of enemies, encounters, pretty much everything in the campaign- everything but Mercenaries is god awful. And even then, if you don't like the core system (which is an evolution of 4/5 style... but kinda weird, too) then definitely don't buy it.

Volt Catfish
Jan 14, 2010

But what will you do when they come looking for you, friend?

But you can play on the playground...It's clearly the best Resident Evil game.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

voltron lion force posted:

I can't tell if you know this came out months ago on consoles or not...

No I really didn't, the first time I heard about it was the pop up steam window tonight.

Bloomington
Apr 20, 2010

I found it to be a fairly entertaining game so long as you're playing co-op.

Miketopus
Jan 24, 2010

Absolutely. If we put little wheels on the bottoms of our shoes, we could just roll around everywhere...

I have just one gigantic glaring complaint about this game, and it might be considered spoilers. Not storyline related, but eh...

loving ridiculous boss fights that take four hours each and don't actually result in the boss dying even when they have several gigantic death scenes.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

43 species of parrot?! Nipples for men?! SLUGS?! Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?! If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, 8 o'clock, day one!

Resident Evil 6 is what happens when a Japanese developer tries to ape Call of Duty to get those sweet Western sales figures and ends up failing both their original franchise and the thing they were trying to mimic.

Considering that they could have just churned out level packs for Resident Evil 4 and been critical and commercial successes all over again they had to actively work to make each successor unfun.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

The game is pretty terrible, and I don't recommend that anyone buy it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You are all DOOMED

I didn't hate it but I didn't think it was that good either. Kind of forgettable.

Kraustofski
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

What ever happened to the survival horror puzzler games that made up the Resident Evil series...?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Considering PC ports are pretty much the only thing Capcom can do right these days, I'll probably buy this when it gets to or lower. Even RE5 was fun with mouse-aiming, just because it didn't feel like as much of a slog.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

All my Japanese friends found the game pretty disappointing. After ORC and this game, most of them seem to feel like they're done with the series. Burn me twice sort of thing.

I don't even get why they did this, the games have always been strong sellers worldwide and had tremendous brand strength. Don't know why they needed to reinvent the formula and take such an unnecessary risk it alienating fans. Between poo poo like this and DmC, I hope it discourages Jpn devs from trying to copy western games.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Everything's coming up Paz!

Original_Z posted:

All my Japanese friends found the game pretty disappointing. After ORC and this game, most of them seem to feel like they're done with the series. Burn me twice sort of thing.

I don't even get why they did this, the games have always been strong sellers worldwide and had tremendous brand strength. Don't know why they needed to reinvent the formula and take such an unnecessary risk it alienating fans. Between poo poo like this and DmC, I hope it discourages Jpn devs from trying to copy western games.

The giants of the Japanese game industry are massively stagnant right now and they know it, so I don't think they're going to stop trying to copy western games anytime soon, even if they're copying all the worst parts and bleeding money.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

sometimes... you just gotta break stuff.

I feel pretty good about not playing any RE games after 4 on the Gamecube. Seems like that was the apex of the series.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Kraustofski posted:

What ever happened to the survival horror puzzler games that made up the Resident Evil series...?

Basically everyone, even the series' creator, decided that RE4 was better, and the people in charge of the series decided to go that route instead.

Kraustofski
Jun 21, 2007

I have no idea how they could think that RE4 was better than the iconic Resident Evil 2 but alrighty I'll take the advice of the hilariously inept Japanese video games industry on the making of their own games- was listening to fans suggestions what created this abomination? Anybody got a simple recap of why the 6th game in this series turned out the way it did?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Kraustofski posted:

I have no idea how they could think that RE4 was better than the iconic Resident Evil 2 but alrighty I'll take the advice of the hilariously inept Japanese video games industry on the making of their own games- was listening to fans suggestions what created this abomination? Anybody got a simple recap of why the 6th game in this series turned out the way it did?

Are you somehow unaware of how beloved Resident Evil 4 is? And also unable to recognize quality?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Kraustofski posted:

I have no idea how they could think that RE4 was better than the iconic Resident Evil 2

The same way everyone did. Even fan reaction to RE4 was pretty much universally positive, there was literally no reason for them to go back to the old style.

Everyone says that RE6 turned out the way it did because Capcom was trying to imitate western shooters, but I don't think that's it at all. The game is still is still very esoteric just like the other RE games. Where Capcom went wrong was in trying to do too much and spreading themselves thin in the process. If the game was a little more focused, I don't think so many people would dislike it.

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

Everything's coming up Paz!

The question is, if RE4 was supposed to be the basis of the series going forward, why didn't they make more games like RE4 instead of complete garbage like 5 and 6?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

RE4 was technically the same gameplay style as the older games, but giving more control to the player during the parts where they have to stop and shoot, and a little less focus on needing to carefully manage what type of equipment you bring. I'd say it was a legitimate evolution for the series and absolutely the direction they should have gone in.

Which is what was so annoying about RE5, they took the parts of 4 that evolved the series and turned them into a whole new game that was completely at odds with itself. RE4 worked because they still designed it like a conventional Resident Evil game with encounters the designers carefully thought through, and required strategy on the part of the player due to the limited movement system. Meanwhile in RE5, they're dumping huge action setpiece poo poo all over the place, while you're still moving around like a loving chess piece.

I can only imagine 6 continued even further in that direction, while still retaining most of the movement constraints which were meant for an entirely different type of game.

Basically what I'm saying is that Capcom doesn't know how to make games anymore.

Bobnumerotres
Jun 20, 2010

http://killscreendaily.com/articles...roin-addiction/

This article is basically everything you need to know about the game. Here's my favorite bit:

quote:

Dear god, that plot! The Resident Evil series now spans sixteen years and countless games. The plot of Resident Evil 6 seems to make reference to nearly all of them, despite the fact that the youngest possible player who could have played all these games is, say, 23. Even assuming that this person exists, how can they possibly remember everything that has happened through the years and years of T-viruses and C-viruses and Mila Jovoviches?

(Also, why does the Resident Evil series have recurring characters? Has there ever been a blander collection of meaningless white people than those in these games? Who in the world cares what happens to them? No one but no one is clamoring to know the fate of Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield. The only difference between these two, as far as I can tell, is that Leon wears a wonderful Moto-style leather jacket that looks better and better with wear and tear.)

I'd like to say that the story was awful but the game itself was actually fun, almost in spite of itself, ala RE5 but they hosed that up too. Everything about RE6 is pretty bad.

I don't know how they produced RE4, an almost legendary game for how god drat perfect it is, and then kept turning everything that made it great into poo poo with successive titles. I'd really love to fill a small room with the RE fans who were clamoring for the series to get back to the total mess of a story RE0-3 had and then fill it with Lickers.

Kraustofski
Jun 21, 2007

^^That article helps clear things up a bit. Consider my opinions an out of date time capsule where I only played Resident Evil 2 years ago and then skipped to 4 and wondering why now six.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

what even the heck

miscellaneous14 posted:

I can only imagine 6 continued even further in that direction, while still retaining most of the movement constraints which were meant for an entirely different type of game.

RE6 actually gives you way, way more mobility (and does not explain a single one of your new movement options, of course), to the point where you can weave in and out of the encroaching hordes with little trouble. The combat in RE6 is pretty great! Pity it only makes up about 70% of the total game, where the rest is driving sections, chases, turret segments, loving stealth sections, and more. Even the combat gets dragged down by taking place mainly in a bunch of super-cramped rooms and corridors, so all your extra mobility is useless.

You could burn the word UNFOCUSED into the moon and pour molten lava into the newly formed trenches so that it gently glowed o'er the Earth forevermore and it still might not emphasize enough what RE6's biggest flaw was. It's a focus-tested, regurgitated nightmare without any idea of what it wants to be.

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't know how they produced RE4, an almost legendary game for how god drat perfect it is
Let's not get too ahead of ourselves here. That's a little much.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

what even the heck

sandpiper posted:

Nah, it's completely legit. Resident Evil 4 was a landmark. Every setpiece is almost perfectly calibrated, the inventory system was satisfying to most, the boss battles were challenging and visually impressive, and it was one of the first (and, as it turned out, only) games to use QTE's well. And the plot, while unrepentantly stupid, focused instead on cheesy B-movie bombast and one-liners to dovetail with the over-the-top action and was all the better for it. Contrast RE6, which is trapped in some kind of limbo where none of the characters besides Ada recognize how old this schtick has gotten.

It was definitely one of, if not the best game of its generation. You can disagree, but there wasn't a single weak aspect anywhere in its design.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

Wargames pretty much make you Hitler. It's awesome being Hitler.

Oxxidation posted:

RE6 actually gives you way, way more mobility (and does not explain a single one of your new movement options, of course), to the point where you can weave in and out of the encroaching hordes with little trouble. The combat in RE6 is pretty great! Pity it only makes up about 70% of the total game, where the rest is driving sections, chases, turret segments, loving stealth sections, and more. Even the combat gets dragged down by taking place mainly in a bunch of super-cramped rooms and corridors, so all your extra mobility is useless.

You could burn the word UNFOCUSED into the moon and pour molten lava into the newly formed trenches so that it gently glowed o'er the Earth forevermore and it still might not emphasize enough what RE6's biggest flaw was. It's a focus-tested, regurgitated nightmare without any idea of what it wants to be.

The problem with the RE6 combat is that instead of, say, a responsive melee system(like RE5, whose combat is getting way underrated here) where you shoot a part of the body and choose a direction to pull off your melee move, you just hit the quick shot and then your melee button and you do whatever. It's brainless, the only thing to manage is your stamina.

Bobnumerotres
Jun 20, 2010

sandpiper posted:

They casted aside RE0-3's ridiculous story in favor of a 'save princess peach' tale that pretty much never gets in the way. Level design, enemy design, balance, and the weapon upgrade system were all done really well. Then it had tons of replayability for all the treasures and weapons. It wasn't perfect but it was a really loving good game.

The game is simply buckets of fun and its review scores are indicative of such. RE5 reintroduced the dumb story, put in forced co-op, and I can remember quite a few loving boring scenes in the game. It was only fun because it kept so many elements from RE4.

So for RE6, they fleshed out what everyone obviously liked about RE5. The forced co-op and the amazing story-telling.

I just don't get it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

what even the heck

Panzeh posted:

The problem with the RE6 combat is that instead of, say, a responsive melee system(like RE5, whose combat is getting way underrated here) where you shoot a part of the body and choose a direction to pull off your melee move, you just hit the quick shot and then your melee button and you do whatever. It's brainless, the only thing to manage is your stamina.

Nope, direct headshots prompt way more powerful (usually insta-kill) melee attacks than quickshots do. It's a choice between crowd control and damage that's simple but effective. Likewise, shoulder shots spin the enemy around and put them in the dazed "critical" state that headshots do, so you can inflict behind-the-back melee instead (which tends to be more damaging but has less chance of knocking over adjacent enemies).

sandpiper
Jun 1, 2007

hhehehehehe

Oxxidation posted:

the inventory system was satisfying to most

This would probably count as a weak point right here. Playing tetris with your guns and stuff wasn't very fun to me.

Then again, we're getting into opinions here.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

RE4 was pretty much the Gamecube's Ocarina of Time, some of you guys are crazy. Then again, there are people who didn't like OoT that much...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

I like and sometimes hate it, the control system is downright the best, but the campaign doesn't play on its strenghts. Also it lacks unlockable stuff

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.

Well, at least there's no spear chuckers in this one...

RE6 was just drat boring. Even playing co-op I literally fell asleep playing it. Action setpieces only work if they're well-paced and set up. Running around like a chicken without a head is just tedious.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

Heil Hitler House

sandpiper posted:

This would probably count as a weak point right here. Playing tetris with your guns and stuff wasn't very fun to me.

It was miles better than the 'eight item slots and that's it gently caress you' system of the earlier games. Best part was they knew it was poo poo originally because one of the ways they made Jill and Chris play throughs in the first game 'Normal' and 'Hard' modes was restricting Chris' inventory to six items.

Bobnumerotres
Jun 20, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Well, at least there's no spear chuckers in this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxmvKj3SJGw

Pretty much says it better than I could. The whole review is pretty awesome.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

FLAVA FLAV!!!!!

Lurdiak posted:

The question is, if RE4 was supposed to be the basis of the series going forward, why didn't they make more games like RE4 instead of complete garbage like 5 and 6?

Because Resident Evil 5 sold a shitload. I actually prefer RE5 over RE4 and as much as I liked RE4, I think it was far from a perfect game. The story was garbage, and despite the perspective change, the controls were still pretty crappy. I actually think RE6 showed that you don't need lovely controls to make the Resident Evil series interesting because some of Leon's campaign stuff is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

sandpiper posted:

That would actually be one of the things that RE4 evolved from, where it still used a limited inventory system, but gave you more freedom so that small items didn't arbitrarily take up the same amount of space as a heavy weapon. I thought that part of the game was great, so RE5 going back to the old system and requiring you to change weapons on the fly was a huge disappointment to me.

«2 »