Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«177 »
pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Loved Bayonetta. Thinking about acquiring this after the price drops a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

You mention in the OP that the Grey Fox DLC comes with gamestop preorders, but it may be worth adding that all EU preorders get it too regardless of retailer.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

And all EU PS3 owners get it even if they don't preorder.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spergminer posted:

How is the timeline of MGR anyways? I've heard that the beginning in Africa is 4 years after MGS4 and then 3 years pass until the point where the demo begins.

Where did you hear that? It's true that it begins 4 years after, but I didn't hear about any 3 year time jump.

notZaar
Jan 7, 2004

From what I've gleaned that game starts 4 years after the events of MGS4, then there is a few weeks time gap between the ambush in Africa and Raiden's return.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.

Stare-Out posted:

And all EU PS3 owners get it even if they don't preorder.

Wait what? I was pretty sure it's just the "new copy pack-in gently caress you used sales" thingy for this game? Or at least just in the first printing of all eu versions?

I have the 360 limited edition ordered from Zavvi and I NEED that Gray Fox!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm fairly sure the Gray Fox costume is free on PSN if you're in the EU and own the game.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Um, so, this is kind of worrying. I called Konami US customer support to ask about whether the plasma lamp had a universal 110-240V power adapter, and after putting me on hold so he could check, he came back saying it will only do 120V. Anyone else here want to call and ask the same so we can get multiple responses on this and work it out for any importers?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Can anyone confirm if the T-shirt is still a pre-order bonus with Amazon? I'd prefer a cool shirt, but I will happilly settle for Gamestop's Grey Fox and artbook deal.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

So have there been any pictures of the actual lamp yet? All that's been released is something that looks like a render and a prototype.

Also what's this business about a shirt from Amazon?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

I'm the kind of guy that can never resist watching videos of people playing early leak versions of games. Some interesting, not very spoilery stuff (mostly difficulty and enemy [not boss] related):

Difficulty does more than just increase enemy health, damage and AI. It ALSO makes it so more enemies spawn, and more advanced enemies spawn sooner. How much sooner? In Very Hard, you can find mass-produced Bladewolves as enemies as early as the prologue. Oh and in the stream I watched the guy was playing in Revengeance and the people in the chat said the bosses were doing new tricks. So that's something to look forward to. Be warned though... Guy got one-shot more than once.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Whoops.

^^^^^ That sounds awesome. That's what I was hoping for from the difficulty increases. It means the ability to heal from each enemy will be useful rather than game breaking, right?

BreakAtmo posted:

Um, so, this is kind of worrying. I called Konami US customer support to ask about whether the plasma lamp had a universal 110-240V power adapter, and after putting me on hold so he could check, he came back saying it will only do 120V. Anyone else here want to call and ask the same so we can get multiple responses on this and work it out for any importers?

Oh poo poo, that's right. I forgot all about that there may be an issue with using it. There's always adapters and stuff, though.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

The people who complained about soldiers taking turns and sitting back are in for a treat on the hardest difficulties.

vv Yes, pretty much.

Spermando fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2013 around 18:23

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Spermando posted:

The people who complained about soldiers taking turns and sitting back are in for a treat on the hardest difficulties.
So it's Ninja Gaiden/Dark Souls levels of enemies all running at you and swinging their swords as fast as they possibly can?

That's good. I can add this game to the short list of action games I have ever played where the enemies convince me that they actually want me dead, rather than just going through the motions because they are enemies in a video game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2013 around 18:25

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

TO VICTORY!

I'm totally playing this game on hard for my first playthrough. I've ended up playing through all the good DMCs and Bayonetta in preparation for this game, haha.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

I was initially ignoring this game, but then I happened to see Chip's youtube video of the demo while watching retsupuraes yesterday.

This game looks pretty great, I'm going to hop out and preorder it today. Thanks Chip Cheezum!

That loving Sned posted:

I love messing about with Zandatsu, but I wish the game gave you more points for a single, accurate slash than just slicing the enemy into hundreds of parts. It's still really fun to do, but if you want to maximise your ranking you pretty much need to do it for every enemy.

Yeah I was thinking a single slash to cleave them in half and get the glow worm + their left arm for the doc was going to be the way to go. But I guess you're supposed to mince the enemies and try not to mutilate their left hand maybe? I'm still foggy on how the whole "bring me their hands" thing works.

Orgia Carnaval
Oct 22, 2010

I was thinking of doing Normal for my first playthrough, but I had to settle on Hard, because the AI on Normal was too easy if the demo was anything to go by. Then after that I'm gonna go into Revengeance difficulty and die horribly several thousands of times and it is going to be amazing. Also, does anyone know if equipped costumes stay equipped for cutscenes? I wouldn't be surprised since they went all out with Octocamo in MGS4 and keeping everything you had for cutscenes and the idea of wearing the Mariachi outfit through the whole game just sounds amazing.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

TO VICTORY!

A lot of the game's cutscenes are pre-rendered, so unfortunately I don't see them reflecting your costume most of the time.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

I loved Bayonetta and now this thread has me interested in this...

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

In the demo I found Normal to be just the right amount of challenge for me because I'm a big babby and I'm sure I'd get slaughtered on Hard. The only game I can recall playing through on Hard was Mirror's Edge.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Chip Cheezum posted:

A lot of the game's cutscenes are pre-rendered, so unfortunately I don't see them reflecting your costume most of the time.

This is a shame, I liked that the MGS games were mainly engine-driven, mostly because the zombie face was never not great in cutscenes (also because the 360s videos will look like poo poo)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

What is the sound of one hand laying down the sickest beat?

Chip Cheezum posted:

The last cinematic trailer had the grey fox costume in a lot of what looked like pre-rendered cutscenes though?? Specifically the stuff with Jetstream Sam.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The last cinematic trailer had the grey fox costume in a lot of what looked like pre-rendered cutscenes though?? Specifically the stuff with Jetstream Sam.

There was an MGS type game, I forget if it was one of the Winbacks or Headhunters, but it actually did have variant pre-rendered cutscenes so your armor/equipment would match.

So many games use the in-game stuff for the cutscenes now, I wish more games would cheat it like REmake. They had pre-rendered scenery for the cutscenes but would layer a higher resolution model of whoever you were playing as over it, so your character's equipment, costume, everything was 1:1 to what you had equipped in the game at the time. It really stood out in REmake they started having stuff like grenades and other items showing up on your model too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Finally, here's a video of the plasma sword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKASBdNU7EI

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

I'm pumped to see what kind of nonsense combining boss weapons and blade mode cancelling results in.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Spermando posted:

Finally, here's a video of the plasma sword.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKASBdNU7EI

Now I'm all sad I skipped out on it.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I'm totally playing this game on hard for my first playthrough. I've ended up playing through all the good DMCs and Bayonetta in preparation for this game, haha.

I'm hoping for an S rank run on your eventual LP of this game sir.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

I think I'm going Normal my first time through-but I do plan on hitting all of the difficulties. I AM a bit tempted to jump right in on Hard, but we shall see.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A trailer for the MGS4 Raiden costume DLC with an interesting combat manual tip: Press both sticks down for RIPPER MODE aww yeah.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Short but sweet.

I admit, I'm holding onto a extremely tiny, nearly futile hope-but it's still a glimmer-Armless Raiden DLC. Sadly, they'd have to do a lot of reprogramming for it to use Sword in Teeth blade mode or Foot Blade Mode, along with moves...yeah they'd essentially have to actually make a new Raiden for it to work. So it would probably never happen.

I will at least wish for it. They can't take my dreams.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We're marooned on a small island in an endless sea, confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape.

But tonight, on this small planet, we're gonna rock civilization.

Stare-Out posted:

A trailer for the MGS4 Raiden costume DLC with an interesting combat manual tip: Press both sticks down for RIPPER MODE aww yeah.

And our first in-game look at the Fenrir UGs. Railgun-equipped, it seems!

Spermando posted:

No surprise there - if Bayonetta was any example (and it's the closest thing they've made), it'll cover the whole range of player skill levels. They confirmed an Easy Automatic mode that parries and evades automatically, and the higher settings sounds a lot like the NG+ style loops in their other games.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2013 around 22:20

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Stare-Out posted:

Description confirms the price and release date too, $2 and available at launch. Wonder if they're gonna try selling the recolors for $2 a pop too. I'd maybe buy the MGS4 costume but there's no way I'd pay for palette swaps with negligible gameplay bonuses.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

There was a PC version of MGS: Rising planned, but not Revengeance.

That said, Konami said that a PC version isn't totally off the books, one may still happen depending on circumstances. Hopefully the success of Dark Souls PC is an indicator to some Japanese companies that PC gamers want their games, too. I'm hopeful considering some of the things Platinum have said about Valve and Steam.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2013 around 22:32

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

I have next week off from work and I'm going to cut so many things. Is 19th the ship date or in-stores date?

Reive
May 21, 2009

Colonel Pancreas posted:

I have next week off from work and I'm going to cut so many things. Is 19th the ship date or in-stores date?

Are there even any publishers that do that anymore? I haven't had that problem of being turned down at a store because I came in on the wrong day since last gen, well except for Fire Emblem but that was a different story.

Killer Queen
Jan 22, 2012

I kind of want the Gray Fox costume, but I had $50 in Amazon credit just sitting there and I'm okay with that red costume.

I'm so hype for Platinum Games going wild with Kojima's understudies smoking up and writing a story about Raiden killing everyone. Can't wait.

Killer Queen fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2013 around 22:45

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Description confirms the price and release date too, $2 and available at launch. Wonder if they're gonna try selling the recolors for $2 a pop too. I'd maybe buy the MGS4 costume but there's no way I'd pay for palette swaps with negligible gameplay bonuses.

Recolors are unlockable through VR Missions. I think. I saw the streamer I was talking about get a red palette swap but he didn't actually go into the customization menu to look at it, so I don't know if it's the same palette swap as the preorder bonus. Probably is though.

Incidentally, that stream confirmed something else as being unlockable, in MGS2 fashion: Wigs.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

After playing the demo, drat. Learning to parry against bladewolf was rough. I kept trying to parry right as he was going to impact me and ended up getting tore into quite a few times. This kinda feels tougher than Bayonetta ever was in that regard.

Oh well, I somehow managed to pull an A rank out of my rear end fighting him on my second run of the demo. Just something to get used to I guess.

It is fuckin' rad cutting things up though. I don't really understand the points system yet, but I tried to kill the first three cyborgs as efficiently as possible (1-2 swipes) and rip out all their glow worms, which netted an S rank with a bunch of 1000s across the scoreboard. VV

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

TO VICTORY!

The demo's ranking system is a bit old, as it only gives out either 50, 100, 500, or 1000 points in each category. The full game appears to have extra ranks in between 500 and 1000 points, so it'll be a bit easier to get the points required for an S rank. From the demo it appears that the scoring system is flexible enough that you can get S ranks will not having to get max points in every single category. You can even be a bit lacking in one or two categories if you manage to get the extra points for not taking damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

Recolors are unlockable through VR Missions. I think. I saw the streamer I was talking about get a red palette swap but he didn't actually go into the customization menu to look at it, so I don't know if it's the same palette swap as the preorder bonus. Probably is though.

It isn't. The one that streamer unlocked turned out to be an orange skin; the actual red skin is DLC-only.

«177 »