Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«177 »
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THAT'S WHAT THE SONG WAS REALLY ABOUT

Chip Cheezum posted:

I wish I lived in the magical wonderland where games were released early.

It's not that great. Only big releases really come early since they're shipped early to retailers, some stuff comes late or not at all if it's niche. Also when we were younger games would come out MONTHS from release.

They also charge the same $70 pricepoint for ANY imported US game, even if it's a budget $20 game. Collector Edition stuff in bulky packages is basically randomly priced, like it'll be hundreds of dollars because "shipping". The govt. cracked down on them and now they price sticker stuff but for a while they used to sell games that were in high demand for higher prices.

Basically I live by digital distribution now but it's nice when occasional stuff like this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notZaar
Jan 7, 2004

Anybody know when the review embargo lifts?

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Did blade mode cancel end up making it into the final game?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

notZaar posted:

Anybody know when the review embargo lifts?

I'm gonna say 3am EST Tuesday since that's when Giant Bomb's quick look is scheduled to go up.

KandaKo
Feb 17, 2013

I was one of those people that stopped being excited one the Revengeance trailer came out,but I recently played the demo and got hyped yet again. Can't wait till the full game comes out. The demo really impressed me.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Can he be kissed without a massive erection?

Does this support custom soundtracks?

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

pleased to meet you

Flannelette posted:

Just a heads up Aus goons, the games marked as coming out on the 26th here now.

What manner of evil is this.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

AG: Flyyyyyyyy!

Chip Cheezum: The 'dodge' is actually a move that must be bought. However, it is one of the very first things you can get, and while I can't remember the BP cost off hand, it is cheap.

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

Cheap Trick posted:

What manner of evil is this.

I asked the guy behind the counter when I went in to check pick up something and he said he had no idea why it was delayed. Really sucks.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Groovy.

So there was some hinting a little while back that this may be released on PC at some point?

How much hope is there, MGR thread experts?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We're marooned on a small island in an endless sea, confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape.

But tonight, on this small planet, we're gonna rock civilization.

PoshAlligator posted:

So there was some hinting a little while back that this may be released on PC at some point?

This gets asked every page - the answer is nobody knows. The original game under Kojima's team was planned to be multiplatform, but this is another studio using another engine entirely. Word is that a port isn't officially off the cards, but that's about the vaguest 'maybe' they could possibly give.

KandaKo
Feb 17, 2013

PoshAlligator posted:

How much hope is there, MGR thread experts?

I honestly wouldn't count on it. The last Metal Gear game released on the PC was MGS2.

Dan Didio
Apr 6, 2009

It would probably be more telling to look at Platinum's history on PC, which I don't think they have much of one?

KandaKo
Feb 17, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

It would probably be more telling to look at Platinum's history on PC, which I don't think they have much of one?

Yep, zero games for PC. Looks like there's not much hope.

notZaar
Jan 7, 2004

This is why the best thread title suggested was "Cut your foes into pieces - there is no PC port".

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I'm pretty sure the official statement regarding a PC port was "Let's wait and see how the console versions sell."

notZaar
Jan 7, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

I'm pretty sure the official statement regarding a PC port was "Let's wait and see how the console versions sell."

That's the polite PR way of saying "gently caress off".

Fonzarelli
Aug 15, 2004

Jumping the Shark

Every thread for a game that doesn't have a pc port is basically an unending reiteration of how it'd be better on the pc, its pretty much the worst.

Has anybody played this yet? Any impressions of how the final package is?

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

They are advertising this game like crazy in London, nearly every red double decker bus I've seen over the last few weeks has Raidens mug planted on the side.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

Specifically if there are any gameplay changes you've spotted between the demo and the full game would be nice, for those of us still stuck playing said demo. I know in the final game you can grab multiple spines per Zandatsu if you slice multiple enemies, anything else changed?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

notZaar posted:

That's the polite PR way of saying "gently caress off".

Since when? I get the idea of seeing how the game itself sells before deciding if spending money on a port is worthwhile.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BreakAtmo posted:

Since when? I get the idea of seeing how the game itself sells before deciding if spending money on a port is worthwhile.

Maybe. But it'd end up with a grossly delayed port, since it is in an engine that hasn't been ported yet itself, which would reduce profit. It really is the business version of your parents saying "Maybe for your birthday..." when you were a kid.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fonzarelli posted:

Every thread for a game that doesn't have a pc port is basically an unending reiteration of how it'd be better on the pc, its pretty much the worst.

Has anybody played this yet? Any impressions of how the final package is?

To be fair it's been a REALLY long time since we shifted console generations, the 360 and PS3 are approaching 7 years from release, and the specs have to be finalized some time before release so it's safe to say it's at least 7 year old hardware. PC has been looking and running a lot better for some years now.

I'm picking this up in 2 hours a friend of mine has been playing for a couple of hours and says he has barely progressed because he's doing codec calls and running around cutting things up and replaying sections

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Pierson posted:

Specifically if there are any gameplay changes you've spotted between the demo and the full game would be nice, for those of us still stuck playing said demo. I know in the final game you can grab multiple spines per Zandatsu if you slice multiple enemies, anything else changed?

Now in blade mode, a red area lights up in the cyborgs' left arms to help you cut off their hands.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Groovy.

Fonzarelli posted:

As much as I want to play this game I'd rather not have to buy it twice, is all.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Down with the Illuminati Scum
www.thesecretworld.com

Zaodai posted:

Maybe. But it'd end up with a grossly delayed port, since it is in an engine that hasn't been ported yet itself, which would reduce profit. It really is the business version of your parents saying "Maybe for your birthday..." when you were a kid.

I think there are plenty of pics of Kojima playing the game on what appears to be a pc with a 360 controller on it. I'd say that they can get the game working on PC for a release version if they really wanted to without much issues but konami/platinum suffer from a really bad case of japanese dev syndrome and dont see the pc as a gaming platform.

notZaar
Jan 7, 2004

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think there are plenty of pics of Kojima playing the game on what appears to be a pc with a 360 controller on it. I'd say that they can get the game working on PC for a release version if they really wanted to without much issues but konami/platinum suffer from a really bad case of japanese dev syndrome and dont see the pc as a gaming platform.

In all likelyhood he was just playing on a dev kit. I know that Capcom usually develops on the PC and then ports their games over to the consoles individually, but I don't think many other Japanese developers do that. I would really like to play this (and every game) on the PC, but sometimes it's just not in the cards.

Anthrovore
Oct 12, 2009

EAT ROTTEN FRUIT FROM A SHITTY TREE

Anyone who has the game/ has been watching streams see any sign of equipable stealth camo?

RageBeef
Jul 27, 2010

HUH HEE HEE

E4C85D38 posted:

Did blade mode cancel end up making it into the final game?

Yes, it functions exactly the same as the demo though it feels like they made it more consistent in having it come out and not going fully into Blade Mode. You still can't Blade Mode Cancel every move in the game but it is a good majority and at least one move that can't be canceled has the length depending on repeated presses of the heavy attack so stopping will let you end it early.

Spermando posted:

Now in blade mode, a red area lights up in the cyborgs' left arms to help you cut off their hands.

This is only true for certain cyborgs and most will not have this and will require you to line up your cut manually, which the game does a much better job of registering your various limb severing much better than in the demo. The highlighted left hands that you see on some cyborgs are one of the game's collectibles and inferring from what Herr Doktor says after every few you get they might also be used to get more customization options, though I may be wrong about that.

vvvvvvv Basically, as some if not all of these actually give you their ID, a picture with name, age, blood type.

RageBeef fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 16:37

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RageBeef posted:

This is only true for certain cyborgs and most will not have this and will require you to line up your cut manually, which the game does a much better job of registering your various limb severing much better than in the demo. The highlighted left hands that you see on some cyborgs are one of the game's collectibles and inferring from what Herr Doktor says after every few you get they might also be used to get more customization options, though I may be wrong about that.

Wait, so these hands are basically Revengeance's version of dogtags? I don't really like having collectibles, but I always liked how MGS made it fun to do by integrating it into the gameplay.

Holding up guards is fun, but re-enacting Ocelot and Gray Fox on chosen cyborgs sounds like the logical progression of how batshit insane MGS is.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo this game

If you ever saw the cyborg ninja parts of previous MGS games and thought "this needs to be 100x more anime" you will love this game.

Also ninja run seems to work better in the full game, also there's a full movelist in the start menu.

Edit: either I played the demo way too much or bladewolf is way easier on Normal. Also Gekkos do a lot more when you fight them now and there are more kill animations for them so far.

Blade mode runs out MUCH faster but you can upgrade it.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 17:22

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!

Alright, that's it. I'm going into full media blackout mode until I play through the game at least once. If this isn't amazing I will eat my loving hat.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Alright, that's it. I'm going into full media blackout mode until I play through the game at least once. If this isn't amazing I will eat my loving hat.

With any other game I'd advise investing in a chocolate hat, but... yeah, I'd say this one's pretty safe. Me too.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My only fear is that it will be pretty short.

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Count me in on the hat-eating. I'll even eat my old rear end hat with the fur and the earflaps if this isn't loving amazing.

I do have a question, actually-I'll spoiler it for anyone in pure blackout, even though it's nothing story related I'll tread full spoiler.

Are there more stealth kills you can purchase?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Now, thank me and shake my hand.

Terper posted:

My only fear is that it will be pretty short.

I don't see how anyone could be concerned about that. The demo alone has gotten a ridiculous amount of time out of me, and I don't see the full game being any different.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We're marooned on a small island in an endless sea, confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape.

But tonight, on this small planet, we're gonna rock civilization.

Given that the guy with the leaked time was 5 hours 30 minutes MINUS all cutscenes, retries (it only counts your surviving time - any deaths are fully stricken from the record) and time spent in menus, I'm not too worried about it being short. Revengeance mode sounds like a full New Game+ mode with new combat in the same environments, too, so it should be good for 2 full playthroughs bare minimum. VR Missions should add some to that, too. More DLC missions coming on top of all that, too.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 17:51

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I don't get why people are expecting a large amount of playtime from a single long playthrough. The large amount of playtime comes from the huge replayability.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Azaael posted:

Count me in on the hat-eating. I'll even eat my old rear end hat with the fur and the earflaps if this isn't loving amazing.

I do have a question, actually-I'll spoiler it for anyone in pure blackout, even though it's nothing story related I'll tread full spoiler.

Are there more stealth kills you can purchase?

So far I actually have most of the demo move set (some moves I don't even remember from demo)

I can purchase:

Aerial parry, dodge strike (X+square), half breakdance thing, Hadoken thing which were all in demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dominic White posted:

Given that the guy with the leaked time was 5 hours 30 minutes MINUS all cutscenes, retries (it only counts your surviving time - any deaths are fully stricken from the record) and time spent in menus, I'm not too worried about it being short. Revengeance mode sounds like a full New Game+ mode with new combat in the same environments, too, so it should be good for 2 full playthroughs bare minimum. VR Missions should add some to that, too. More DLC missions coming on top of all that, too.

Wasn't it stated that it counts your shortest time, not your surviving time? So that potentially means even more play time.

«177 »