Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«177 »
cmykjester
Feb 16, 2011

Just a quick question to people that already have their hands on the game. Does this game have 1080p or is it still just 720p like the demo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

cmykjester posted:

Just a quick question to people that already have their hands on the game. Does this game have 1080p or is it still just 720p like the demo?
It couldn't be 1080p and 60fps (on the PS3 anyway), that's just impossible.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Down with the Illuminati Scum
www.thesecretworld.com

notZaar posted:

In all likelyhood he was just playing on a dev kit. I know that Capcom usually develops on the PC and then ports their games over to the consoles individually, but I don't think many other Japanese developers do that. I would really like to play this (and every game) on the PC, but sometimes it's just not in the cards.

The 360 dev kit is literally a 360. No way was it was a devkit.

EDDryden
Jan 31, 2013

BreakAtmo posted:

Wasn't it stated that it counts your shortest time, not your surviving time? So that potentially means even more play time.

Yep, the timer functions exactly the same way it did in Bayonetta and Vanquish

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It couldn't be 1080p and 60fps (on the PS3 anyway), that's just impossible.

True. Now, if we had a PS4 port, I'm thinking native 1080p-per-eye 3D at 60fps with none of the body parts or sliced-up geometry disappearing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

We're marooned on a small island in an endless sea, confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape.

But tonight, on this small planet, we're gonna rock civilization.

BreakAtmo posted:

Wasn't it stated that it counts your shortest time, not your surviving time? So that potentially means even more play time.

It counts the only time that you actually survived each segment, so yeah, with 59 deaths, his actual playtime was waaaay longer. The final completion time it gives you is effectively what you'd see if you skipped every cutscene and never died once.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

So I bought the piggyback guide off of Amazon, solely because it contains a Shinkawa print. I don't even know what it is. I'm guessing it's the same thing that's been plastered up on that wall in London. Can anyone confirm?

CrushedB
Jun 1, 2008

Re: Playtime, someone on NeoGAF who got the game ended with a total time on the final results screen that was close to the 5 and a half hours mark, but clarified that he had actually played for over 10 hours.

Also: if you like challenging action games, don't bother starting with Normal apparently. Just skip right to Hard.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

CrushedB posted:

Re: Playtime, someone on NeoGAF who got the game ended with a total time on the final results screen that was close to the 5 and a half hours mark, but clarified that he had actually played for over 10 hours.

Also: if you like challenging action games, don't bother starting with Normal apparently. Just skip right to Hard.
Really? It's gonna be significantly easier that Bayonetta or whatever? I don't normally start games like this on hard.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

I'm going to guess Normal is Easy in disguise. Maybe Konami asked them to rename/readjust the difficulties.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Really? It's gonna be significantly easier that Bayonetta or whatever? I don't normally start games like this on hard.

You couldn't actually start Bayonetta on hard. They probably decided that having more than one meaningful selectable difficulty was a good idea.

CrushedB
Jun 1, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The comparison was that it was way easier on Normal than Bayonetta was on Normal, and that Normal felt like Easy (with the exception of the final boss) and that NG+ Hard so far felt like a kind of easy Normal.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

SurrealityCheck posted:

You couldn't actually start Bayonetta on hard. They probably decided that having more than one meaningful selectable difficulty was a good idea.

Hard is available right from the start in MGR. Very Hard and Revengeance are also available if you input the Konami code on the title screen.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Whoops.

I'd assume that the purpose of that is for fans of the franchise who aren't accustom to such challenging hack and slashes to still get their fill.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

CrashScreen posted:

I'd assume that the purpose of that is for fans of the franchise who aren't accustom to such challenging hack and slashes to still get their fill.
Isn't that what the "easy" difficulty level is for?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Spermando posted:

Hard is available right from the start in MGR. Very Hard and Revengeance are also available if you input the Konami code on the title screen.

If that's true that's how I'm going to play the game!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Down with the Illuminati Scum
www.thesecretworld.com

Samurai Sanders posted:

Now days you gotta gratify the people that are bad at videogames(The reviewers).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Now, thank me and shake my hand.

Samurai Sanders posted:

People hate playing on Easy due to some ego thing. They'd rather Normal itself not be too much of a challenge.

It's honestly pretty smart.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

You have my permission to
STAY OUT OF THE
FUCKING WAY!

Spermando posted:

Hahahaha, that's so awesome of them

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

I imagine if you got to the point where you figured out how to parry and were clowning around with Blade wolf in the demo, you're probably set for Hard

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

AG: Flyyyyyyyy!

I did notice that Normal wasa bit easy, once you get used to the mechanics. Kind of wondering if I should restart on Hard (which is no big deal, I still am on the first stage.).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Silentman0 posted:

I imagine if you got to the point where you figured out how to parry and were clowning around with Blade wolf in the demo, you're probably set for Hard
The thing is, I assumed that was because a combination of being early in the game, and being a demo with the difficulty level deliberately dialed down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watch that tongue... sticky!

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing is, I assumed that was because a combination of being early in the game, and being a demo with the difficulty level deliberately dialed down.

C'mon dude, you're good enough at these games that you should start on Hard. Embrace it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

I got a call from one of those Gamestop robot ladies (this one was named Ivy) and apparently my store is doing a midnight release for Rising! That's pretty good. Now I just have to make sure I'm awake enough to play that poo poo as soon as I get home, which means I should probably take a nap as soon as I finish typing this post.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

C'mon dude, you're good enough at these games that you should start on Hard. Embrace it.
I guess I will, I'm just bummed because that means there is not one, but TWO difficulty levels that are not for me (easy and normal). It cuts down on replayability.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

^^^^But they also have two harder difficulty levels after Hard, so it evens out I guess?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Normal can and will kick your rear end if you are not aware of parrying and needing to Zandatsu. I assume that it was made to ease gamers into that mindset. I can only assume easy for the 'gently caress off, I wanna watch a movie crowd,

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 21:25

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Quote is not edit

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

I'm guessing the 'Normal is the New Easy' thing isn't 100% to do with the ego thing(though I think it's some of it); but I've noticed in a few games the easiest mode is almost literally a 'Story Walkthrough.' But with gaming getting introduced to more and more inexperienced people, there are different levels of inexperience and skill. There are some that yeah, even an easier Normal mode would mess up; while others can probably handle that alright, but find the 'tell me a story' style mode even too easy for them.

So they seem, IMO, to have a thing going where Easy is now 'Super Duper Easy', for very inexperienced types who just want to see a story and mash some buttons, Normal is toned done for a bulk of the more casual crowd-still inexperienced, but not *totally* so, and the Normal mode still has enough bite to perhaps teach them the skills they need if they want to move on. Hard is for 'Experienced Gamers', though not necessarily challenge gamers. Very Hard is for moderate challenge gamers, with *Title Here* difficulty for the crazy challenge-mode gamers who will actually handicap themselves in games once they've mastered the hardest difficulties just to make it harder. (Some games lack the 5th level and have the jump from Hard-Very Hard more extreme.)

Now not all games do it this way; but finding out this does makes me want to just start on Hard as well. I'm actually no uber-expert these days; I did the DMC games on the hardest modes and all, but I usually cap out anymore at the second-hardest levels rather than *Insert witty title here* level anymore. I think my patience has waned a bit over the years. Though-THIS time around? I may make an exception for Revengeance mode and go for it after awhile.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Azaael posted:

I'm guessing the 'Normal is the New Easy' thing isn't 100% to do with the ego thing(though I think it's some of it); but I've noticed in a few games the easiest mode is almost literally a 'Story Walkthrough.' But with gaming getting introduced to more and more inexperienced people, there are different levels of inexperience and skill. There are some that yeah, even an easier Normal mode would mess up; while others can probably handle that alright, but find the 'tell me a story' style mode even too easy for them.

So they seem, IMO, to have a thing going where Easy is now 'Super Duper Easy', for very inexperienced types who just want to see a story and mash some buttons, Normal is toned done for a bulk of the more casual crowd-still inexperienced, but not *totally* so, and the Normal mode still has enough bite to perhaps teach them the skills they need if they want to move on. Hard is for 'Experienced Gamers', though not necessarily challenge gamers. Very Hard is for moderate challenge gamers, with *Title Here* difficulty for the crazy challenge-mode gamers who will actually handicap themselves in games once they've mastered the hardest difficulties just to make it harder. (Some games lack the 5th level and have the jump from Hard-Very Hard more extreme.)

Now not all games do it this way; but finding out this does makes me want to just start on Hard as well. I'm actually no uber-expert these days; I did the DMC games on the hardest modes and all, but I usually cap out anymore at the second-hardest levels rather than *Insert witty title here* level anymore. I think my patience has waned a bit over the years. Though-THIS time around? I may make an exception for Revengeance mode and go for it after awhile.

I kind of see that with the new Fire Emblem too. Maybe 'Hard' should be renamed to something like 'Experienced' if this trend continues?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Spermando posted:

Hard is available right from the start in MGR. Very Hard and Revengeance are also available
Makes sense. Bayonetta had 5 difficulties, sounds like they just renamed Hard to Very Hard and moved all the other names down a level. Guess I'll start on Hard too. Normal in the demo felt hilariously easy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Well, I still haven't beaten Bayonetta on hard, I'm on chapter 6 or something and by now it feels like it's throwing 2x each of Gracious and Glorious at me over and over again with nothing else. That may be too much for me.

Also I've never even tried Ninja Gaiden on hard, beyond the first few levels. I'm used to normal being my go-to difficulty level in games like this.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, I still haven't beaten Bayonetta on hard, I'm on chapter 6 or something and by now it feels like it's throwing 2x each of Gracious and Glorious at me over and over again with nothing else. That may be too much for me.

Also I've never even tried Ninja Gaiden on hard, beyond the first few levels. I'm used to normal being my go-to difficulty level in games like this.

Bayonetta is significantly harder than revengeance imo, especially at higher difficulty. I feel like bayonetta may be one of the hardest games of that type at the top end. I wouldn't worry about it with this game as much.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BUDDHA'S A BRO
296 Fuckups and Counting!

Personally, I think if you've been gaming for over 10 years, you should be at the skill level where anything in today's hard is normal to you and normal for back in the NES/SNES days.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Have you learned to parry? It's pretty much essential for dealing with non witchtime enemies on Hard, and everything on NIC.

EDIT: Basically the trick is to get in the habit of tapping the stick towards the enemy constantly, even while attacking. If you get attacked the parry will interrupt your attack, making everything much safer.

Sindai fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 21:45

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Personally, I think if you've been gaming for over 10 years, you should be at the skill level where anything in today's hard is normal to you and normal for back in the NES/SNES days.

The thing is though that balancing difficultly levels is hard; Most devs just do a flat increase to health and damage and leave it at that, and the game becomes an unfun slog. See the first Darksiders.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 21:50

Azaael
Jan 15, 2013

Coffee?

Unlucky7 posted:

I kind of see that with the new Fire Emblem too. Maybe 'Hard' should be renamed to something like 'Experienced' if this trend continues?

I like the way Deus Ex: HR did it-"Tell Me a Story", "Give me a Challenge" and "Give Me Deux Ex."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Watch that tongue... sticky!

Unlucky7 posted:

The thing is though that balancing difficultly levels is hard; Most devs just do a flat increase to health and damage and leave it at that, and the game becomes an unfun slog. See the first Darksiders.

Yeah, 90% of games are absolutely awful about difficulty levels. It's really disappointing.

I like games like Revengence where they change up the enemy spawns or Fire Emblem where they give the enemies new abilities. That kinda stuff is fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Sindai posted:

Have you learned to parry? It's pretty much essential for dealing with non witchtime enemies on Hard, and everything on NIC.

EDIT: Basically the trick is to get in the habit of tapping the stick towards the enemy constantly, even while attacking. If you get attacked the parry will interrupt your attack, making everything much safer.
Actually the last time I played Bayonetta on hard I didn't even have the moon of maha-kala. I do now but mysteriously, my save game was erased or something in the year and a half or so time when I didn't own the game, so I'll have to beat it again on normal before trying hard. Yeah, now that I know how to use the moon, I should have a much easier time on hard.

edit: ^^^ the reason why having lots of difficulty levels is sometimes a problem is because usually only one or a few of them is really playtested for good pacing and stuff, the others are just stuck in with higher/lower damage numbers and no thought given to how much fun they are to play. If there's only one difficulty level, like Demon's/Dark Souls, then that takes away the difficulty of trying to guess which ones were actually playtested well.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2013 around 22:03

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

And most people will only play the game once anyway, no matter how good it is. It's low ROI unless you're committed to supporting the hardcore player base, like Platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nogic
Jul 6, 2002

Sindai posted:

And most people will only play the game once anyway, no matter how good it is. It's low ROI unless you're committed to supporting the hardcore player base, like Platinum.

Most people don't even finish games once. That's why games are so easy on Normal, to remove as many barriers as possible to people actually finishing the game.

«177 »