Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wiz's adjustment makes sense---but he went WAY too far in the opposite direction, for my tastes. Losing 100+Warscore after an unlucky battle is crazy when you still have plenty of gold lying around to buy mercenaries, for instance. I see what he's attempting to do, but I'm not sure I agree with his decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Wiz posted:

It's a scaling issue because the calc is based on the entire potential manpower of the other part rather than their max levies, so either you have way too decisive battles in small wars or useless battles in large wars. There's no inbetween.

It's understandable, then. I'm going to run my next game on CK2+ And I'm preparing myself for a totally different play style. In your defense, combat in CK2 doesn't make any goddamn sense no matter what you do. I'm not sure it's possible to get to that "sweet spot".

I'm biased because one of my formative memories of this game is successfully beating Byzantium, then the Fatimids, then the Holy Roman Empire in successive (and in the first two, concurrent) wars as Cyrenaica. I'd have never been able to do that in CK2+. I'm not entirely sure how I did it in CK2 Vanilla.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
We should Crusade.

I'm basing my vote on what I feel Bohemond would do, and he's basically the epitome of a warrior. While the Catholics may be doomed in a fight against the Muslims, Bohemond's united kingdom and extremely high martial ability (as well as the high martial of his subjects) will surely put Sicily on the front stage of the whole world. Think of it as a coming out party for the young kingdom.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Told you.

Of course, once Robert Inherits Sicily (or dies of Great Pox and you inherit Jerusalem), you'll have the same problem you did before.

Is the "Be able to choose who gets the crown in a crusade" a Wiz invention? Because that's a really good idea.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Whoa. We might see a Muslim empire form. Something I've never seen, with the exception of the Mongols converting to Islam. That's a refreshing change of pace.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Voting William, trying to play in character.

Our illustrious king seems like the type who would try to do right by his three sons, and making each of your sons a full-fledged KING is a baller move that only the proudest of fathers can make.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yes?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Elaborating after I went to bed:

Robert is going to be fine with being the king of Aragon. He's both slothful AND content. He doesn't want the responsibility of ruling, but he could still use the prestige. And maybe someday, he'll have a son of his own, and he'll have the responsibility of a crown. Really, I'm just trying to give our sons what they might want.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Too bad it's CK2+ and we won't see Scottish Culture overrun Anatolia. That'd be fun.

Also, it's a few updates ago, but THIS:

quote:

William is the first king to extensively use the Sicilian language at court, adopting the Sicilianized version of his name: “Guglielmo”.

Is, somehow, the most infuriating part of CK2 to me. Why would someone change their -name- if they change their culture? Not the name they give their children. Their own name. That's insanity. Who the gently caress would actually do that? MY name is William, too, but I drat sure am not changing my name to Guillaume if I ever move to a French-speaking nation. I can't imagine I'm more arrogant/proud than the average member of the dark age nobility.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
gently caress you, Byzantium.

That was a pretty lucky break you caught with the succession. I can't remember the last time I had something fall into my lap like that. In a multiplayer game, I once inherited Germany by switching to Ultimogeniture, but even then, I needed to murder a string of the German King's wives so he would have no sons.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Blobbing in character is the best kind of blobbing.

Well, sometimes. Sometimes the best kind of blobbing is "Second Sunni Jihad for Bavaria", which remains my favorite war I'd been involved in after 300 hours of this game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Bucking the trend and voting for the sane action of Roberto. Since he's going to lose, can I request you tag him as a followed character? I'd be real interested in how being slighted by a bunch of bureaucrats drives him into a murderous rage.
~~~~

Triskelli posted:

Do tell :allears:

Also looking it up forming the Roman Empire is a decision that can be made by the Byzantine Emperor regardless of faith.

I had been playing as the Suleimids of Cyrenaica, and expanded to most of Sicily, and was looking for another likely target to expand to, or perhaps weaken the hated Genovese. Anyhow, Venice, by this time, had de jure controlled the southern part of Italy, and was busy losing a war to Byzantium. I decided that their holdings were a natural target. When I clicked on the diplomacy screen of the Doge, I learned two very interesting facts.

1)You can, or at least could, at the time, Jihad for king-level republic titles.
2)The Doge was Cathar, and no Catholic would aid him in a holy war.

I realized I could take all of Venice right then and wipe a dangerous rival off the map. So I did. From there, Bavaria became a natural target for future rulers, because, well, I didn't like having the Holy Roman Empire (later the Golden Horde, who inherited them) surrounding my capital.

I took all the town-ruled counties of Genoa and turned them into a backwater 1 duchy African Kingdom. I successfully Jihaded for Venice, Andalusia and Italy in that game, but I never, EVER could drive the Catholics from their sacred lands of Bavaria.

Also, I somehow became Ethopian, and ruled the Mediterranean as the Sunni Ethiopian King of Venice, Italy, Andalusia, Africa, and Sicily. I strongly considered modding my file so I was some kind of Emperor, but :effort:

tl;dr: Crusader Kings 2 is the single greatest PC game ever made.

Shogunate posted:

Two things sprung to mind when I read this, first was that there was no part of this sentence I didn't like.

And second was "Wonder how many Shia Jihads where for Bavaria?"

The absurdity of the game.... coupled with the idea that it made perfect sense for my world, is why I love it so much.

The Shiites only called failed Jihads for Andalusia, before I stepped in and showed them how it was done. :smug:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Flesnolk posted:

What's the trait that's got a blue shield with a guy's face on it? I don't recognise that one from when I've played. I know the bullet in the green heart is "Fertile"...

Actually, that one is "Quick". Like Genius, but with +3 across the board instead of +5.

The guy that looks like :spergin: is a CK2+ thing. It means "Young". No idea what it does, I prefer the base game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Africa.

We've honestly never invested in Italy at all, so it makes little sense to muck around with, thematically. Which leaves the choice between Africa and Greece. Of that, I see the choice of Africa as obvious, partly because it's the easy way, but mostly because it's the less dumb way. A wise ruler should rule by peace, whenever possible, and it seems likely to me that with inheriting Egypt on the way, we're much more legitimately tied to Africa, which would make it the route of a wise leader.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
As near as I can tell, holy wars are called based on a few things.

Part is where the Pope (often erroneously) believes Catholicism can actually win. It needs to be an area large enough to where you can take the majority of a Kingdom level title from the target. Catholic crusades seem to favor Jerusalem if it's an available target, and I've heard they like other places, too, but anecdotally, it seems like the Pope tries to call crusades for areas that are currently catholic, albeit not with catholic rulers. (This actually seems true of all holy wars. The AI seems to put liberating its own religion above other concerns. Again, I've only played like, 4 full campaigns, so it might just be coincidence).

At any rate, I've seen the AI crusade for far flung places like Sweden, because somehow the Golden Horde gobbled it up.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

paragon1 posted:

We should conquer the world.

This is much more dull than it sounds, to be honest.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

paragon1 posted:

I'm glad this is the kind of thread where people can laugh and not take jokes literally.

I've given it some heavy consideration, and I think it's about time we had a discussion. A discussion about flags.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Tall. It's a CK2+ trait.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Viscardus posted:

And that's it for CK2. Or, well, maybe not quite. I am considering a bonus update at some point to show off a few interesting little details that didn't get much mention during the LP and won't really make it over to EU4. But if I do that it won't be for a while.

You better not remove Burgundian Galicia :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Also Ryukyu is where Karate comes from and was featured in what is by far the best Orphanage simulator/beat em up to date, which means a lot of folks have a soft spot in they hearts for it.

Also they have a kickass flag. Look at this thing:

How could you not want that thing flyin' everywhere?

Sold. Two.

• Locked thread