Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Cake Attack posted:

ultimate weapon by collecting every chapter of Carnelia

I didn't even know this was a thing. I ignored most of the book stuff outside of the news since :effort: and :words:
ng+ I guess.

I handled that fight by keeping the boss at around 3/4 health. Bided time until a critical modifier appeared on the turn list. Morale buff + bird debuff + double tap with estelle and schera's s-breaks with one using the critical was basically an instagib. Don't remember what level I was at, though.

Action 3 quartz were also useful to sneak in extra turns.

Also, not relevant to this one, but chaos brand basically breaks 95% of the boss encounters in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

animatorZed posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing. I ignored most of the book stuff outside of the news since :effort: and :words:
ng+ I guess.

I handled that fight by keeping the boss at around 3/4 health. Bided time until a critical modifier appeared on the turn list. Morale buff + bird debuff + double tap with estelle and schera's s-breaks with one using the critical was basically an instagib. Don't remember what level I was at, though.

Action 3 quartz were also useful to sneak in extra turns.

Also, not relevant to this one, but chaos brand basically breaks 95% of the boss encounters in the game.

It does? I've used it a few times as a joke, but never anything more. I should try it out.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Ryuga Death posted:

It does? I've used it a few times as a joke, but never anything more. I should try it out.

For laughs, use it during the tournament matches in Grancel and try to imagine what the crowd's reaction would be :)

Its useful even on single enemies since half the time they just use their turn to move in a random direction.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

animatorZed posted:

ng+ I guess.

(snip)

You'll need a guide for Carnelia, because a lot of chapters have extremely tight timing requirements to acquire, and often require you to go to places well out of your way. Cake Attack's LP will serve as a guide, though.

For some specific fights on hard difficulty, Chaos Brand is the most effective spell you could possibly have, much better than White Gehenna. Some enemies are just too dangerous (and with too much HP) to let them hit you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

On Hard difficulty, I had more trouble with the filler fights leading up to that one than the boss.

Those guys are easy (admittedly playing on normal) because they're vulnerable to the aforementioned Chaos Brand. Cast one at the start of battle and suddenly the damage coming to you is cut dramatically and the enemy will be killing themselves! Basically any fight with more than one enemy is paradoxically easier than fights with single targets because of this.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You'll need a guide for Carnelia, because a lot of chapters have extremely tight timing requirements to acquire, and often require you to go to places well out of your way. Cake Attack's LP will serve as a guide, though.

Good to know. I'd probably need something for 100% jobs too, as there are at least a few I don't know where I missed them.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Weird thing is happening. Finished Ys Origin as Yunica, now playing as Hugo and just arrived to Silent Sands. Everything went smooth as butter until I tried attacking the enemies here because I deal single points of damage to a lot of them (like the yellow nooze or the ooze-shooting burrowing things on the right side with quicksand [I also get instantly swarmed by like 10 guys. I don't remember that ever happening as Yunica, but that's beside the point]).

The main problem is the damage, I can't possible continue the game like this if single enemy takes like a minute to kill. Am I missing something? Did I switch something on/off or some such?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

Weird thing is happening. Finished Ys Origin as Yunica, now playing as Hugo and just arrived to Silent Sands. Everything went smooth as butter until I tried attacking the enemies here because I deal single points of damage to a lot of them (like the yellow nooze or the ooze-shooting burrowing things on the right side with quicksand [I also get instantly swarmed by like 10 guys. I don't remember that ever happening as Yunica, but that's beside the point]).

The main problem is the damage, I can't possible continue the game like this if single enemy takes like a minute to kill. Am I missing something? Did I switch something on/off or some such?

Level up once or twice and make sure you didn't miss a weapon.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
If I were to pick up one of the two modern Y's games on Steam, which would be a better choice: Oath in Felghana or Origins? Last one I played was VI on PS2 and I loved it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

dis astranagant posted:

Level up once or twice and make sure you didn't miss a weapon.

Thanks! I forgot to use one piece of cleria ore and now I'm back to slaughtering everything, I'm pretty sure level wasn't the issue since I over-leveled to 23 to beat the Claw. But that difference is ridiculous, going from 1 damage to like 40 :psyduck:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Levantine posted:

If I were to pick up one of the two modern Y's games on Steam, which would be a better choice: Oath in Felghana or Origins? Last one I played was VI on PS2 and I loved it.
Both would be good choices. In terms of differences Felghana is a little more difficult and Origin essentially requires you to go through the whole game at least twice (the character you unlock after beating it once is a lot of fun).

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Levantine posted:

They're both great and if you like one you will end up playing the other. I think Oath in Felghana is the better game, and it's more challenging. Origin seemed a bit easy after completing Oath

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Levantine posted:

Depends on what you're looking for. Oath is a bit rougher around the edges and more difficult than Origin, but it's also more varied IMO and has a more interesting story (for about as much as that matters). They're both good games, and if you've already played Ys VI then either one is a good next step.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Obviously the right answer is to wait for a sale and buy both

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Suaimhneas posted:

Obviously the right answer is to wait for a sale and buy both

That's usually my plan. I overlooked them last big sale but playing Trails has rekindled my interest in all things Falcom.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, I beat the game and watched the ending.

:smith:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Now imagine having to wait 5 years after that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I finished TitS last night. A beautiful game throughout, but rather disappointingly easy. I never even learned stuff like White Gehanna or whatever that spell is called, Earth Wall and some very limited (ab)use of Chaos Brand made more or less all fights a walk in the park. Probably doesn't help that I took the game's advice of "WE BETTER TRAIN BEFORE THE CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS THEY WON'T BE EASY!" seriously. I suppose higher difficulties are better at this, but still. I was able to completely cheese the final battle by having two groups, Estelle/Joshua and Kloe/Olivier with Joshua and Olivier casting Earth Wall, Kloe and Estelle healing as needed, and attacking on any spare turns with Blue Impact/Earth Lance.

Also after that ending I'm relatively certain that having to wait for second chapter constitutes a cruel and unusual punishment.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

YF-23 posted:

I finished TitS last night. A beautiful game throughout, but rather disappointingly easy. I never even learned stuff like White Gehanna or whatever that spell is called, Earth Wall and some very limited (ab)use of Chaos Brand made more or less all fights a walk in the park. Probably doesn't help that I took the game's advice of "WE BETTER TRAIN BEFORE THE CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS THEY WON'T BE EASY!" seriously. I suppose higher difficulties are better at this, but still. I was able to completely cheese the final battle by having two groups, Estelle/Joshua and Kloe/Olivier with Joshua and Olivier casting Earth Wall, Kloe and Estelle healing as needed, and attacking on any spare turns with Blue Impact/Earth Lance.

Also after that ending I'm relatively certain that having to wait for second chapter constitutes a cruel and unusual punishment.

I have to say that the ending disappointed me greatly. I have no idea what the story of the second chapter is, but I'm getting terrible FFX-2 plot vibes of girl chases clues to reunite with love interest, which made for a rather uninteresting story. Maybe I just liked the back and forth between Estelle and Joshua and feel loathe to play a game where the two are acting separately or something, I don't know. For me that was the best part of the story and I'm sad if that's not going to be the case in the sequel.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with the second chapter, to be honest. I liked the first one well enough but not so much that I want another replay of the FFX-2 plot

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know anything about SC, but I think, compared to FF-X2, there are more important things that are happening in the world of Trails. Whereas with FF-X2, the plot (from an outsider's perspective), it seemed meandering and wandering. There's a lot of things set up in FC that aren't answered or only hinted on. That's just my view and I'm not trying to tell you to get SC or anything or change your opinion on the matter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Don't worry about it. SC is definitely not a FFX-2 plot as (minor FC/SC spoiler) Estelle and Joshua reunite before the halfway point of SC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is Trails in the Sky ever going to let me meet an NPC who doesn't go "ESTELLE HOW COULD YOU SLIP ON THAT BANANA PEEL YOU COMPLETE PIECE OF poo poo WHY CAN'T YOU BE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY LIKE YOUR DULL-rear end BROTHER and when are you two going to hook up already"

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Is Trails in the Sky ever going to let me meet an NPC who doesn't go "ESTELLE HOW COULD YOU SLIP ON THAT BANANA PEEL YOU COMPLETE PIECE OF poo poo WHY CAN'T YOU BE PERFECT IN EVERY WAY LIKE YOUR DULL-rear end BROTHER and when are you two going to hook up already"

How far in are you? Estelle is a goofball and that's going to be pointed out throughout, but there are plenty of NPCs that don't do that. I'd say proportionally the PCs poke fun at Estelle more than the NPCs do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is remarkably annoying how Estelle is basically a supereffective godbeing and the plot refuses to recognize it though.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Mokinokaro posted:

Don't worry about it. SC is definitely not a FFX-2 plot as (minor FC/SC spoiler) Estelle and Joshua reunite before the halfway point of SC.

That's something at least, enough that I'll play through the second chapter when it comes out (starting to regret not sticking to my original plan of waiting to play the first chapter until the second was out :v: )

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
:siren:NEW Ys GAME:siren:
For PS4 and Vita. Revealed during Sony press conference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D-Wr_3-E5U
(1 hour 37 minutes if the time code doesn't work for you)

Here's my crummy attempt at translation. There's quite a few lines I'm not sure I got right:

Do you know the name Adol Christin?
The red-haired swordsman comes to PS4
A completely new entry in the immensely popular action RPG series.
Ys charges into battle on PS4.
A new adventure to be solved.
An archipelago south of Gria, in the Sea of Gate
In a legendary forgotten land, buried beneath the waves,
a new adventure begins for Adol.
High-speed battle through jumping and unleashing repeated sword strikes
An expanded world, a sensation beyond time.
The new Ys will appear in 2015.
Ys series will go on to the next stage.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Here's hoping they'll try to do a PC port as well. Though if it's slated for release in a year it's probably too late in development to work on that until after release.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like Adol is trekking off to Greece this time.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
From what I can piece together the game will be a new entry that takes place in a country to the east of Romn. The country is called Guria or Gria which if previous naming styles give any indication it's the Greece of the Ys world. Which would explain the illustration of the underwater ruins stuff, maybe some coll Atlantis themes slated for the next game? All speculation and guessing from me but I am very excited to see more. I have a reason to buy a current-gen console now, though that may be a couple years until we see an English release.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Adol and Dogi's Excellent Adventure.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tobaccrow posted:

:siren:NEW Ys GAME:siren:

Dope, now I have a reason to get a PS4.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Adol and Dogi's Excellent Adventure.

Sadly, the green hair guy in the trailer I suspect might be another surrogate Dogi. I don't know if that bothers me more or less than that once again, Adol's ditched his 90's J-fantasy armor and shield.

Here's some artwork:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's some Xenoblade poo poo right there, drat.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Dammit, I still can't afford a Vita for Memories of Celceta, and now a PS4 entry? Grumble grumble grumble THANKS FALCOM

. . . Seriously, so jealous.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
As far as the whole "Estelle competence" thing goes, this is sort of... addressed over the entirety of SC. You'll see.

Also I can get behind Ys VIII: Adol Does Greece. Gon' be real salty if Dogi is missing again though, and the lady looks remarkably like Karna. Hm.

(Still personally pulling for "Knight Elena" to become a thing given that they've been teasing it for ages, c'mon Falcom)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just beat Trails in the Sky and I can see why everyone held it up as a fantastic game. It's a slow start and burn, but events progress and the world is built until it all comes together in a really believable way. The stakes ramp up in the last two chapters to a well earned climax. The ending was a bit of a gut-punch after everything though. That said, I actually fist pumped when Cassius showed up to save the Colonel. . It just felt like the end of the journey, in a good way. So, final verdict: Good story, fun characters, great world building. It's going to be a long wait til the sequel.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

I just beat Trails in the Sky and I can see why everyone held it up as a fantastic game. It's a slow start and burn, but events progress and the world is built until it all comes together in a really believable way. The stakes ramp up in the last two chapters to a well earned climax. The ending was a bit of a gut-punch after everything though. That said, I actually fist pumped when Cassius showed up to save the Colonel. . It just felt like the end of the journey, in a good way. So, final verdict: Good story, fun characters, great world building. It's going to be a long wait til the sequel.

I felt the same. The story is kind of simple, but it comes together rather nicely. For me, it helps that the music is also really good for those big scenes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So how do the other Legend of Heroes games stack up? I had been under the impression that most of them were never translated, but it looks like 1 and 3-5 are available in a variety of formats.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I still haven't played them but I haven't heard good things. Not especially bad things either, I think they're supposed to be mediocre?

What I do know is the translation for the Ghargav Trilogy (LoH 3-5) was super bungled by Namco, to the point where the games aren't even numbered right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cake Attack posted:

I still haven't played them but I haven't heard good things. Not especially bad things either, I think they're supposed to be mediocre?

What I do know is the translation for the Ghargav Trilogy (LoH 3-5) was super bungled by Namco, to the point where the games aren't even numbered right.

Oh yeah, you're here. Here's what I thought of the ending, if you still care at all. Even though I was able to predict most of the twists of this game like Kloe being the princess/someone of royalty, Richard not being the real mastermind behind everything, etc, I admit that I didn't see the twist of the professor being anything more than a bumbling idiot. Is it silly of me to say that I felt sad about the whole ending thing between Joshua and Estelle? :smith:

All in all, I really enjoyed the last chapter. The final dungeon was a lot of fun and was waaaay too short for me.

• Locked thread