Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
In other words, design is law :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm playing Ys Origin with Yunica. This is my first time playing Ys. Not too much trouble so far, except fuuuuuck this arthropod boss. Jesus, what a dick. By the time you get to the last few spikes there's just constant poison eggs all over the ground at all times.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know, from the trailer of Ys I+II, the combat looks fun and simple. :smith: Plus, I want to buy it anyway to show that it'd be nice if they released their other Ys games onto PC.

I found it easy to just constantly jump around and avoid the gas bombs that way. Then again, I thought all of the bosses were really fun in Origin whereas others hated the bosses, so maybe I'm just dumb. :shobon:

I am jumping a lot, but I still get hit because I'm in a pretty localized area when I'm trying to destroy these spikes and the gas bombs literally cover the floor. I did really like the other bosses so far, I'm just kind of stuck on this one. I just found out I missed an axe upgrade, though. Maybe that's the key.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just did it. I had no idea you could knock the poison bombs out of the way, or that you could blow up shell parts out of order :stare: I found out both of those things on the same attempt and then killed him the next try.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm really glad they put these on Steam because holy poo poo these games are fun and I had barely even heard of them before they did that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Oh god, does this mean I need a vita? I could use it to play those PSP games, right?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finally came back to Ys Origin after a hiatus and marathoned the last half of the game as Yunica. What an awesome, awesome game. I can't wait to play it again as the other characters. Are the other characters harder to play? I was thinking of cranking up the difficulty, but if they're harder in the first place I'll hold off.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, I started my playthrough with Hugo on Hard. Been cruising nicely, except Epona was really hard for some reason :v:

No trouble otherwise though, not even with other bosses. I preferred Yunica's melee style, though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The vita was doing HORRIBLY for a while but Sony has worked really hard to get it going. Right now if you're a ps+ member in the US and wait for a deal you could pay like 180 and get a vita, a memory card, and have like an 8 game library.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cake Attack posted:

So I'm trying to play Ys Origins, and it just won't work my gamepad. I can get it to recognize input in the config menu, but as soon as I start the game nothing works. Anybody deal with something like this?

I'm using a PS3 controller via MotionInJoy.

e: Also, in the config I can't map movement to the gamepad, just the keyboard, but one problem at a time I guess.

Do you have it set to emulate a 360 pad?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SpaceDrake posted:

Xanadu not-Next is from 1985. :v: I think a lot of modern players would have trouble appreciating it, it's pretty primitive by today's standards.

If I like Legacy of the Wizard(despite it being so loving hard), do you think I could appreciate Xanadu? Are they anything alike?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Okay so I ran into a rather strange brick wall in Ys Origin playing as Hugo. I completed Rado's Annex and have to open the door. I went back to kill the blinking red monsters in the regular tower... but none of my attacks do damage. A fully charged fire attack does, like, 24 damage in 3 8 damage increments. The monsters themselves do a third of my health per attack and are super fast. What the hell, man? These are harder than any of the bosses I've faced.

I'm on hard mode.

edit: Welp, when in doubt, grind. 2 levels took care of that problem.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 3, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

And when grinding doesn't work, make sure you haven't missed a weapon upgrade. One of those things can mean the difference between "impossible" and "laughable."

That actually happened to me yesterday. I was fighting the Construct(the lava guy where you shoot his hands off) and I remembered it being really easy on Yunica so I was baffled as to why I was struggling, like I had taken 6 or so tries and couldn't get the last 1/5 of his health, it was just too hard. Then I realized I still had some Cleria ore and crushed him on my next try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ys ends with an s and if I learned anything in third grade it's that that makes the plural Yi.

• Locked thread