Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Neo Rasa posted:

Ys IV, man. Ys IV: Mask of the Sun, and Ys IV: Dawn of Ys are two totally different games, roughly the same situation but different story, graphics, music, everything.

Basically this. The OP is thinking of Mask of the Sun and not Dawn of Ys.

Internet Friend posted:

I enjoyed 7, but the perfect guard mechanic was really easy and made a lot of boss attacks trivial to avoid just by spamming the shoulder buttons.

I don't remember if they ever directly tell you about the mechanic in the game because I've spoken to people who have beaten the game and never knew that was a feature.

For people confused if you hold R and then L (or L then R? I forget) your lead goes into a brief sort of parry stance for a fraction of a second and if an enemy connects with a hit during the stance all damage is nullified and you get free SP. A lot of boss attacks can be completely nullified and even broken by spamming this after you can safely block the first hit - it's crazy fun to play around with.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also switch to the PC-8801 music for maximum awesome.

I am incapable of beating Ys I Nightmare comfortably without the Complete soundtrack, so it must be better :smuggo:

Also Lance thanks for starting up a megathread for this. I tried starting one before Ys Origin came out with SpaceDrake but I got caught up doing other things. I got some stuff written up on Ys I and the series in general and I can help out with some information bits if you want, just shoot me a PM.

Also other games in the series you might want to look up for some funny stuff to add to the OP:
- Ys Strategy
- Ys Typing Tutor (which is available in English if you hate yourself)

And some of the spinoff titles that Falcom did that have some cool references to the Ys series:
- Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure (available in English on PSP)
- Zwei!! I & II

toddy. fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Saralene posted:

There's still a friggin' ton of bugs to fix in Chronicles+ it seems, including that Cloud issue it doesn't look like I can fix. Looks like Valve will have to look at that one. Still, I was wondering, when the ton of bugs does get worked out, is there anything you guys would want to see that sounds reasonable for me to do? Missing features from Complete etc?

Set up a controls default scheme that plays like Ys Eternal/Complete (Space is Confirm/Magic, Enter is Use Item) because the default key layout is pretty awkward. Maybe include the option to have rings and magic selection bound to individual keys (power ring 1, shield ring 2, etc) rather than having to scroll between them - we got all these keys we might as well use them.

Awesome Welles posted:

I gotta disagree though - I honestly thought the 3D models in the PS2 port of VI were pretty good

No. Nononononono. Wrong. Stop that.

Awesome Welles posted:

It's nice to see this series finally getting some good attention outside of Japan. Aren't they supposed to be loving nuts about these games over there? (given that the first few games are on dozens of different systems it seems like)

"loving nuts" is a massive overstatement.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a couple of PSP emulators of varying quality (PCPSP and JCPSP), but whether they'll run Ys SEVEN (or run it at 60 frames like it needs) is another thing entirely.

Or run any game correctly for that matter.

Nate RFB posted:

I don't think it's really a big deal having 7 on the PSP. You can probably get that system for pretty cheap these days. As for the Vita, well maybe the Vita doing so horribly will convince Falcom to go back to the PC? Either way I have one for P4G so I'm fine on that front, though I can understand other people being miffed.

One could only hope Falcom gives their PSP and Vita titles the same treatment as bringing Trails in the Sky games over to PS3 in "HD remasters" or something to that effect. Also NIS has shown that converting PSP games to Steam PC titles (ClaDun X2) is definitely possible so it's still out there for picking.

Nate RFB posted:

For now I'd just be interested in Ys 6 on Steam to see where that differs from the PS2 version.

The game runs a lot better than the PS2 version and has none of the awful crap like the VA and 3d models. The only thing some people might complain about is the PC version does not have Alma's Trials but I think that's actually good because Alma's Wing actually works as a teleport item rather than a one-way ticket to hell.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If you think Dark Fact comes down to luck then you should probably stop playing the Ys series while you're ahead because 1 out of 5 bosses will probably make you say that. I'm not saying you're correct, you're just kind of complaining for the sake of it, not that you're the first person to react like that to that boss.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Lance Streetman posted:

Speaking of music, I was planning to change the music section of the OP to a "best of" listing of ys songs. I'd appreciate suggestions on what should be in there (please link videos instead of embedding them).

If I could pick a few per game I'd probably go something like

Ys I: Tension, Final Battle
Ys II: To Make the End of Battle, Overdrive
Ys III Wanderers: Valestein Castle, The Strongest Foe
YsF: Steeling the Will to Fight, The Strongest Foe
Ys IV: Karna, Romun Imperial District, The Dawn of Ys, Field, The Ordeal Becomes Great, The Heat Inside the Fire, The Final Decisive Battle (I like Ys IV's music most, okay?)
YsC: The Morning After the Storm, Seeking the Vanished Mask
Ys V: Break Into Territory, Crimson Ruins
Ys VI: Release of the Far West Ocean, Mighty Obstacle, Defended and Escape, Ernst
Ys Seven: Innocent Primeval Breaker, Mother Earth Altago, Crossing Rage, Scias (Falcon Strike on US OST)

That's just tracks straight from their OSTs, not looking into the ton of jdk band and other arrangements. I'd tag them with links but I'm posting on a phone at the moment and if you just enter the game name and the song on YouTube you'll definitely find them. FalcomClassics on YouTube has rips of 99% of all the Falcom release albums so that's a good place to start looking.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I honestly never had that problem when playing as Yunica, but then again I can only do Hugo's 'lower enemy defense' move if I consciously think to do it, which I guess is the same button sequence. That should really just be mapped to a single, separate button, though.

Well the reasoning behind the Def-1 lunge is they decided to finally utilize the lunge attack they randomly threw in Oath in Felghana which did absolutely nothing. It only stacks for Def-2 so later in the game it doesn't do much.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Lance Streetman posted:

So I just got to the Lava Zone in Oath and I gotta say, I think I actually prefer this game to Origin. The leveling is hosed right up the rear end compared to Origin, sure, but I feel like it's forcing me to make use of my character's abilities far more than Origin did.

Ys Origin expects you to grind even on Normal difficulty (eg: 3 lv+ before Gelaldy if you're not awful, another 2 before Jenocres, etc) whereas Oath was designed carefully such that you can go through Normal grind free if you're any bit decent. On Normal you can fight Galbalan as short as Lv46 which is light as heck considering how much exp you get in Genos Island.

I always thought they put more thought into the actual mechanic progression of Oath than in Origin, and I'll always like Oath more for that. I have other reasons but I prefer to reason over gameplay than story/etc in Ys games since that's really what it's about.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

The Mimic posted:

I'm suspiciously out of Ys games to play now, especially without a PSP. I'd really like to try Seven, too. One thing I'm wondering though; the storyline involving primarily Ys itself, Ys 0 -> Ys 1 -> Ys 2: does it stop there? Do later games chronologically ever return to Ys or is that it? Or, do any descendants show up anywhere? I'd be wondering if there are any other Facts roaming around, since Hugo was left on the surface.

Ys IV (SNES and PCE) returns to Esteria at points. They even have Darm Tower in it, but it's far less challenging (save for that loving fight against Garuda, he's awesome but seriously gently caress that fight).

With regards to the storyline chronology technically every single Ys game leads on to one another in some away except for Ys III which happens after Ys IV. It's a massive spoiler for Ys VI if I say how the games are tied together and it's completely out of left field, so just take my word on it.

Or play Ys VI, your choice I guess.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

sandpiper posted:

Oh yeah, this might as well be a Falcom general so I'll just mention that I picked this up since I never got around to it.

The only version that appeared in the States was on the goddamned N-gage, so yeah. Really looking forward to playing this.

I'm actually working with the team making the English translation patch who should soon have the updated Win7 version of the patch done. The current released patch actually doesn't work for the whole game and is riddled with bugs. The v2.0 that's in the works cleaned up everything, we spent a few months last year testing it all to make sure it works with the Win7 version. They seem to be taking their sweet time releasing it, though. Maybe they forgot or something.

I've played the crap out of it, even got the official printed guide for it since 100%'ing that game is borderline impossible without it. The game is awesome.

Also Xanadu Next is not hard to get, they still print copies on demand. You just gotta order them through the mail order catalogue.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

sandpiper posted:

Is the Vista version really that different from the Windows 7 version? I know I saw a Win7 version somewhere but I couldn't find one.

Also thanks for your hard work, man.

I think they run a newer executable version which has different checksums that cause weird things to happen.

I just tested the game and helped the main guys find all the problems that were left, the majority of the work was doppiapunta and gho's crazy hacking and translating.

Also I checked their site and the patch is up and has been for a month now! That's was good timing that you brought this up!

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
It's easier to mess up and get hedged in the face when attacking diagonally in Ys I & II. Dawn of Ys was a lot kinder about hitting things diagonally because the game had a hard time working out where you were relative to your enemies sometimes and just gave you the benefit of the doubt for free hits.

The enemies aren't what get you with bump and grind Ys games, it's the bosses. They can get insanely bullshit with hitboxes when you're not supposed to shoot them to death. It doesn't matter where you hit them in boss fights, it's when.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

kirbysuperstar posted:

Guys, we're forgetting the best named Falcom game.

I'm inclined to say that despite the silly title this is actually the best game Falcom has ever made. Also there's an english patch in the works for it that has been getting delayed for years and is expected to finally be done this year.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

SpaceDrake posted:

Xanadu not-Next is from 1985. :v: I think a lot of modern players would have trouble appreciating it, it's pretty primitive by today's standards.

Xanadu is a brutally harsh game. If I recall part of the game's development was they kept changing the game to make it harder and harder until they could barely beat it then released it to the public.
Unsatisfied that people actually beat it, they released expansion scenarios which were romhack difficult.

That said Xanadu Next also incorporates the difficulty of its predecessor but in a less bullshit way. Completing the game is obscenely difficult and then at the end the game presents you with a ranking screen telling you how terrible you are for dying twice. It has some insane replay value though, and it's basically as close as Falcom's going to get to making Dark Souls.

Also Zwei 1 is okay. Most of the game is charm and incredible 2d sketch-style graphics, accompanied by a very different kind of Falcom soundtrack. Also it plays host to Falcom's greatest title:

DOGADVENTURES

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

windsor posted:

Is there much difference between nightmare and inferno difficulties?

Inferno damage is increased when dealt to Adol (more so even than on Nightmare difficulty), for a large portion of the game regular enemies will kill you in 2 or 3 hits. The enemy AI is the same as Nightmare difficulty, that goes for boss AI too. Bosses have the same health on Inferno as they do on Nightmare difficulty.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Zombiecop posted:

I'm curious which version will end up on Steam, the PC version or some ghastly port of a PSP game...

It'd be the PC version. They said they were adding extras from the PSP version to the PC version but it should be glorious PC mode for display and such.

The announcement got me excited enough to go back and play the first game. No, not Trails in the Sky FC, Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes. Man, Falcom has come a long way since "MANKIND HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE POISONNNNN~".

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
You could probably add Legend of Heroes to the thread title if enough people wanted you to but I'd think most people could draw a line connecting Falcom to the series at this point.

I have a pretty good feeling having Trails on PC will generate a lot of hype for the series, maybe enough to get Snk3rd, ZnK and AnK translated as well. That's a far shot, though, these games are huge. They also take about 4 times longer to complete when you have the limits of reading Japanese like a 2nd grader like me! :downs:

Also I changed my av to reflect the Trails hype up in here.

Edit: Also Zwei2 is apparently on the edge of BoF releasing that translation patch anytime soon. You'll probably hear me screaming again when it drops.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 9, 2013

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Zombiecop posted:

What's the plural of Ys?

BurgerTime Deluxe.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Any word on when the EU version of Memories is coming out? I have a feeling it's going to take another year so I'll probably just import it from the states.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Internet Friend posted:

There's no difference in behavior on Inferno I can recall, it just makes the numbers more stacked against you.

Behaviors are identical, damage to Adol is sharply increased. You will spend most of the game dying in 2 or 3 hits even with the best armor you can muster at the time. Trust me on this.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Also if you have trouble getting Ys II to recognize your directional input on your controller (left stick or what have you) change the input version for the game in the betas option on Steam. I was having problems playing it with a gamepad and that fixed it right up.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

Whatever happened to the translation patch for Zwei II being a "few months away" as of about a year ago?

They are refusing to comment on it. I assume either some publisher has picked them up (which is actually pretty cool) or something went devastatingly wrong with the project and they're unsure whether to start over or drop the project altogether. I really hope it's the first one, more people need to play Zwei II.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If you're playing on nightmare I feel sorry for you otherwise Dark Fact isn't that bad once you get the hang of it. If you're dying more to Fact than you did to Vagullion there are issues that need addressing.

Also yeah silver equips, don't make it any harder than it was designed to be.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I don't think rings have any effect on bosses in Ys I & II, but don't take my word for it because they change that statement in other entries and I may be a little confused, too much Dawn of Ys on the brain.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Omobono posted:

Converting saves between PSP and PC should be doable (with some fudging around), right?

That is very unlikely, don't get your hopes up.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I've been encountering a really weird crash where after you start the prologue and get the guild mission to go to the farm. If you complete the rock quest for the little kid, going to the armor shop or general store in Rolent and hitting "Shop" instantly crashes the game.

Now that I'm experimenting around with the menus it seems that at some points where I try to access the Equip or Item menus the game also has a high chance of crashing. Either there's some bug regarding the inventory access or I have a corrupted save file on my hands not even an hour into the game.

Edit: Just noticed some of the fixes above. Going to try those and see where it gets me.
Edit 2: Yup, the turning off HD fonts also fixed it for me. That's a shame because even in 1024*768 the text now looks fuzzy as hell. Oh well, at least I can keep playing now. Aside from that the game has been running fine for me.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 30, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Butt Ghost posted:

All that aside, when's a good point to play Ys Origin?

Any point, really. Maybe play Ys II first so some of the names ring a bell but it's not necessary.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 1, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

animatorZed posted:

Because Hugo is awful, and Yunica is the best character in the series :colbert:

Words from a person who has not played Yunica's story on Nightmare.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Heavy neutrino posted:

Time to start the speculation as to what else XSEED has in store.

If I were to take an speculative guess the Zwei series should be seeing a release some time in the future. The old patch developers have been sitting at 99.9% complete for over a year now, and many people suspect someone bought the script off them.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

One thing I've wondered about is whether any stink is raised in the Japanese fanbase over the fact that these Steam releases are from a technical standpoint far superior to what is available to them.

"But they totally totally did a HD remaster of the Trails games for PS3!" *furiously scratches at the printed-on "PSP REMASTER" sticker*

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Zaggitz posted:

I have kind of a spergy Ys query. *follows up over multiple posts*

I'm sure there's a whole community of Ys fans over at the ALoY community forums that would love to continue this discussion with you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
From what I can piece together the game will be a new entry that takes place in a country to the east of Romn. The country is called Guria or Gria which if previous naming styles give any indication it's the Greece of the Ys world. Which would explain the illustration of the underwater ruins stuff, maybe some coll Atlantis themes slated for the next game? All speculation and guessing from me but I am very excited to see more. I have a reason to buy a current-gen console now, though that may be a couple years until we see an English release.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
The confusing thing about Ys V is it seems to be a play at Quintet games like Terranigma. Why it's confusing is that the director and scenario writer of the first three Ys games, following the flop that was Ys III, went on to be major people over at Quintet. Also Yuzo Koshiro went on to make music over at Quintet as well.

Unlike Terranigma, however, Ys V was quite a massive flop.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
You can block every hit of the laser, if I remember right that's what I did. If you can't do that he should follow the Ys death laser rule where they can only turn up to a fixed rotational speed so get in close and dodge to the side repeatedly and his aim might not catch up.

Edit: In other news, the "team" doing the Zwei 2 patch apparently need help compiling the code back into the game or something because their previous programmer quit? I'm not 100% sure of the details still because the remaining team member isn't particularly good at explaining herself.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 5, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

I was listening to the Ys IV Perfect Collection and was a bit surprised to find out that many of Celceta's tracks did in fact originate from Dawn of Ys. Well I guess it should have been sort of obvious when one of the tracks in Celceta's soundtrack is literally "The Dawn of Ys". So despite Mask of the Sun being the canon game Falcom wrote music for Dawn instead? Or they just re-used the tracks across both games?

That said I couldn't seem to track down the Dawn equivalents of "Seeking the Vanished Mask" and "Iris"; were they new for Celceta or do I just have bad hearing?

Most of the tracks used in Memories are remakes of tracks from the original Ys IV titles. Almost all of these are done by Falcom Sound Team JDK. The new tracks like the ones you mentioned and "Black Wings" were almost all done by different artists that also did music for prior Falcom titles, like Yukihiro Jindo and some that have worked on the more recent LoH games.

The remade tracks are honestly pretty disappointing compared to Ryo Yonemitsu's arrangements for Dawn of Ys but hey they'll do.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Nate RFB posted:

One of Hugo's descendants, I think.

That's the theory, anyway. Something to do with Dark being Sieg Fact's grand/son or something that was painted over in the Ys IV remake to no longer make sense.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Let's talk about how Ernst's mouth singlehandedly made the series KH levels of convoluted and silly.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 30, 2014

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Edit: And you edited your post anyway so now this looks silly. :I

Whoops! Yeah I keep forgetting Ys IV still happens before Oath/III so I omitted that part entirely.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Volt Catfish posted:

Hunt down the excellent pc version, it has a full English patch.

This can be rather complicated if you get a PC version pre-XP re-release. Make sure you check the version if you're buying off eBay or Amazon.

The reason I say this is that the English patch iirc only works on non-1.0.0 releases of the game. Later releases added difficulties and boss rush to match console releases. As such the patch is unreliable on the original release/collector's edition of the game. There is a fan-patch that adds these as well but it's very hard to track down.

Ys VI was kind of a mess.

Then again, so was Nightwolve (the patch maker) but let's not get into that.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

GrossMurpel posted:

"Oh no I have a shield that is the best ability in the entire game, this is so unfun!"

Ok so I crunched the numbers and it turns out you haven't played as Toal so I'm just going to put you in this garbage bin and you can keep making your posts there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Cake Attack posted:

oh yeah the Ys games are 50% off, buy them if you haven't already

Also that patch that was released a week or so ago for the Ys games was fixing a bunch of widescreen stuff as far as I can tell. Recentering the message boxes and maybe some other stuff? I forgot if anyone actually mentioned that.

• Locked thread