Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

So loving happy Falcom is going back and giving IV the Oath in Felghana treatment, because Mask of the Sun is painfully boring. Dawn of Ys is pretty loving awesome though.

I gotta disagree though - I honestly thought the 3D models in the PS2 port of VI were pretty good, but I'm not too big on the super-deformed look anyway. It had some weird rear end framerate issues though, especially in that one underwater segment.

It's nice to see this series finally getting some good attention outside of Japan. Aren't they supposed to be loving nuts about these games over there? (given that the first few games are on dozens of different systems it seems like)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

toddy. posted:

No. Nononononono. Wrong. Stop that.

I guess it's because the super-deformed look doesn't really do anything for me. I felt like the 3D models had their own charm to them, and seeing Adol's armor change was a nice touch.

quote:

"loving nuts" is a massive overstatement.

Well, that's why I was just wondering. :shobon:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kaubocks posted:

Healing items are not as prolific as the other games.

Just started playing for a few minutes last night and I feel like they might need to be a bit more prolific. For the 20 or 30 minutes I played, I only had a single healing item drop and I have a feeling that might get annoying, particularly in that dumbass cave.

I'm completely in the minority but I actually liked the 3D models from the PS2 version and I kind of miss seeing Adol's equipment change on-screen.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wow for some reason I thought it just never changed at all :downs:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

His equipment appearance will still change if you have a full set of equipment of a specific type equiped.

Yeah, turns out this is only true in Felghana. I had never played the PC Napishtim before this week. :shobon:

Also a warning - there appears to be a bug when using the wing for some odd reason. Sometimes when I highlight the Rehdan Village on the map screen the game will freeze out of nowhere. It has happened three times already and I had to repeat the boss fight just before reaching the Zemeth Sanctum. (ugh)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

gently caress the last dungeon in Felghana, god drat. Even with the best armor set and about level 50, trying to make it to that second save point without getting my poo poo kicked in sucks. On harder difficulties it feels like a loving chore.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Only just now seeing this and it's an interesting read: http://www.windowscentral.com/falcom-gurumin-interview

quote:

Digital distribution platform Steam recently started pricing games in Yen and accepting some Japanese payment methods. Has that encouraged more Japanese gamers to use Steam? What else could Steam do to increase their Japanese appeal?

Payment methods and game pricing have become something of a topic among Japanese game users. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that suddenly Japanese users have gotten comfortable with Steam.

For users who like foreign games Steam is a great platform, but users who like Japanese games are pretty much not used to PC gaming and are unlikely to be interested. You could just say the platform needs more attractive games, but the problem is consoles have the same issue as well. However, young game players no longer have an issue playing foreign games, so things may change going forward.

quote:

With the recent releases of Gurumin and Ys VI, six of Nihon Falcom's PC games are now available to English audiences through Steam. As a whole, how well have your English Steam games sold compared to your more recent English PlayStation releases?

To be honest, we were surprised to see that many of our titles enjoyed better sales volume on Steam then PlayStation. There are some titles that did way better than when sold in Japan as packaged goods on the PlayStation; there are some titles that are worthwhile businesses based just on their North American Steam sales. Suffice it to say, we are very aware of Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

As much as I'm sure Falcom likes the direction that their Steam products are going I doubt they are going to put forth the effort to port completely new iterations of Celceta and VII.

Isn't there a Chinese PC port of Seven? Couldn't they just translate that and release it?

(No idea if the port is any good or not, I'm just legitimately curious.)

• Locked thread