Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

raditts posted:

Don't listen to these lies, everyone knows you buy the Ring first and give it to the guy in the pub who lost it, so you start out with 1500 gold instead of 1000.

There's also the fact that if you try to buy something from Pim but then pick no, like 10 times in a row, the buy prices from him all go down. Then if you try to sell something to him and do that, all the sell prices from him go up! It's not a huge difference, but still!

Saralene fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
So hey, I just put out a patch for Chronicles+ to improve the controller support a bit. I'm still not sure about that Saitek (and can't really test since I don't have one) but people who are having controller problems, any improvement?

Saralene fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 16, 2013

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
There's still a friggin' ton of bugs to fix in Chronicles+ it seems, including that Cloud issue it doesn't look like I can fix. Looks like Valve will have to look at that one. Still, I was wondering, when the ton of bugs does get worked out, is there anything you guys would want to see that sounds reasonable for me to do? Missing features from Complete etc?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
The TurboCD music would indeed be a rights issue I'm afraid. Even stuff like the other console versions' music would be. I'm pretty sure Falcom themselves looked into that before, when first releasing the PSP versions of Oath and Chronicles. Anyway, now that the music is OGG, there are no .POS files. Instead, it's a special tag in the OGGs, LOOPSTART and LOOPLENGTH. A lot of games use this, you can probably find info on it somewhere. Basically they're in samples, so making a loop isn't hard at all for someone who knows much about sound file editing.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just purchesed Ys 1+2 on steam and when I go to play Ys 1 it loads a naked girl with a swirling orb and nothing happens. Am I missing something here?
Set your controls in the configuration tool by running the game through your Steam library. The defaults are awkward. (X is OK, for example.)

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Lance Streetman posted:

So I've been having this problem in Ys origin where the game always seems to think I'm pressing up on the joystick. This only happens when I'm using the controller for some reason.

This is the controller I'm using, BTW:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

Anybody else get this problem?

Have you tried adjusting the deadzone in the config? It might be a problem where the controller's stick is always pointing just a tiny bit up, enough to throw off the most sensitive programs like that.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Think I may have fixed the Numpad and other weird input issues in Ys I & II Chronicles+ today. Now I'm about to push a patch that connects the games at Ys I's ending automatically. This can be disabled in the options menu, of course, but I always wanted to have this as a feature for Chronicles+. It was in Complete, too, I think. So many other issues still need addressed, though...

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zeether posted:

It looks like you can, because I watched a longplay on Youtube and right after you finish Ys I you start II with all your health/levels intact.

Right now in Chronicles+ you'll start at level 1, but it's otherwise a smooth transition. I'm not sure whether to change this or not, I admit that level 10 wouldn't break things but it might not go along with Falcom's intent for Complete/Chronicles.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Yeah, we're gonna do our best to make sure this is the best release we can. Widescreen support, PSP features if possible, and whatever else. You can look forward to the same quality you've come to expect from my work, I think.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Blattdorf posted:

Here's a question: will Trails work on XP? That's a deal-breaker for me right now since I can't afford to invest into a new OS any time soon (it'd mean investing in a new computer since my current motherboard doesn't support DDR3).

Yes it will. I actually use XP32 as my development OS, so if any compatibility problems with XP were to crop up, I'd fix them really quick. But the original Japanese version also works on XP without any problems, so I can't imagine anything too weird will pop up.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Terper posted:

So by the [tweaks to major dialogue] and [changes to the text] they mention in their [Twitter], I assume they got rid of the [brackets]?
Sure did. As for PSP features, one major thing not mentioned here is the New Game+ feature. A lot of people care about that one so... yeah.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Im_Special posted:

What about 16:10 monitors, does it have something like 1920x1200 for us weirdos?

And its probably just me but something feels off about the font, maybe it's to skinny? And shouldn't 'Attack' be centered in that box there.
It should support any resolution that your monitor can handle, for the most part.

The reason for the lack of centering on some things is simply that it's one of those low-priority things I haven't gotten to yet since there's more important stuff to take care of first.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Not getting any reports so far of crashes with high-res fonts after the latest patch. Maybe try it out and tell me if you guys have any trouble?

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

RadicalR posted:

Fraid I'm not experiencing any of these, so I won't be of help. Have you had any reports on the configuration acting up in regards to the mouse?

Hope you can one day sit down and tell us the reasons why FC gave you so much trouble - I love hearing things about these from a technical point of view.

Yes, and I fixed it last last night. Try the reset to default button in the mouse config.

As for the latter bit, the blog post is certainly a good bit of that, but I wouldn't be against it if anyone had any questions or if I ever got interviewed about things. There's a lot that can't really be shared due to NDA but there's also plenty that can, I suppose. It's been a rough ride.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Artix posted:

The high-res font crash in the shops? Yeah, that happened to me like an hour ago. Lost about an hour of progress too. :(

Try restarting Steam, to make sure your game is definitely fully up to date.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

FighterKnuckles posted:

Since its pretty unlikely the 3rd will every come to the west, I thought it'd be worth sharing.
I kinda disagree, but maybe I'm just hopeful; Still, logically, if SC does well, surely it'd happen someday, right?

toddy. posted:

If Ys Origin was just the Toal playthrough the game would be so much more palatable. Screw artificially extending gameplay if your characters and bosses blow chunks.

I honestly agree with this. It's somewhat offset if you amp the difficulty as you go, but only somewhat. Hugo is a particularly bad case, though I find him interesting to use on a 'gimmick' level. Throw his normal attack into the mix and you have something that's an interesting idea, but just doesn't seem to work compared to the other two. If the game became a bit more 'bullet hell' or something it'd be fun. Instead we have a guy who feels like the beginner character of the bunch at times and doesn't have much else going for him aside from a story in which he gets to be a jerk to everyone. I do like Yunica a lot, though.

Still, I'll always love the game, playing as Hugo included, in its own way. Part of me wonders what it would be like in an Ys Seven/Celceta style with party member switching and more of the search team playable. It'd also kind of get rid of the need for splitting up the story at all, when I think about it. Doubt it'll ever happen, though. Still waiting for a real Ys I & II remake, Falcom...

Saralene fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 8, 2015

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Zaggitz posted:

"Now featuring warp points"

They did it, they made Ark of Napishtim a good game. XSeed forever.

It does help a lot! The way warping works in this version of the game is through a "Warp Map" pretty much just like Oath in Felghana so people should be pretty happy with it, I hope.

Catastrophe Mode is fantastic too. As mentioned, it basically eliminates all traces of being able to obtain healing items and just uses any items you step on from enemy drops, the same way Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin work. It was a great idea. The way I've coded it, there's no signs at all that the items ever existed, even in the menus. It feels pretty natural.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Volt Catfish posted:

That GOG only? Because if so, I may unfortunately have to pass up on the Steam offering.

It's in every version of the game for this release. On Steam it's considered a DLC, but is automatically owned when you own the game.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Slur posted:

I assume this should all be located in the Steam folder of the game, then?

Yup yup. It has its own subfolder in the game folder. "Ys VI Material Collection."

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
I've actually seen that unused Estelle face in the PC version of FC's data before, although it wasn't updated for the HD version so it definitely is very unused, as far as I can tell. Personally I'm kind of sad it wasn't used at least once, though. There tend to be all kinds of interesting things in there that I can't show off, mind, but that was one I noticed when I was adding the HD assets, because of the number discrepancies.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Decus posted:

SC is going to be digital only, right? If so they lose all of nothing from a low noise release. Don't need to bother with distribution or assembling a bunch of cheap plastic into a box and calling it collector with limited pre-orders. Can pretty much advertise post-release with no loss.

Yeah, digital only. Much as I wish a boxed release of a decent PC release I worked on could happen someday, admittedly... and obviously a physical PSP release is pretty much right out at this point. That would just lose money massively.

But you're right, pretty much. People might recall that most of XSEED's PC releases besides Trails were announced all of a week before they came out, basically from left field. It didn't really harm those releases at all either.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Boneless Jogger posted:

Well, they are updating it on steam. From NeoGAF:

So from past experience this of course means that it will have nothing to do with SC.
That's silly. I mean, I kinda constantly update things regardless of what's going on with them. There will probably be like a million updates on release day, whenever that is, too.
In any case, pigs are flying. Whatever could it mean...

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Some Numbers posted:

Somewhat related, I bought the first game on Steam and I was planning on getting the second on GoG. Is there any way to transfer my data between those versions?

You'll just have to copy the saves from the Steam Cloud save folder to the game's "normal" save folder. Same one the Configuration Tool can bring up at the touch of a button. The Steam one is under (steam)\userdata\(user id)\251150\remote\fc.

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"
Yeah. Please by all means enjoy the hell out of this game. It was sort of brutal self-torture to get everything working and sorted out, believe me. Though I would gladly do it all again if I had to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

"Are you a catgirl?"
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Has anyone tested Trails FC or SC in a virtual machine?

Yeah I'm probably going to end up buying SC for both platforms (I already bought FC on both), but I'm curious if running inside a virtual guest is viable, since I'm trying to move away from Windows for the most part and the less I have to hard dual-boot the better.

(Yes I'm already aware of the 'Steam doesn't like running the same account on multiple machines at once so exit it in the host before starting it in the guest' caveat.)

The game works fine in Wine if that helps, so long as you disable all of the movies. Though SC also has a heck of a lot more movies than FC, so you miss out on all of those.

• Locked thread