Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

alcharagia posted:

I've only ever played Origin and a bit of Oath. I didn't like what I played of Oath that much really. Adol is just a lot less fun to play as than Yunica and the third character (especially the third character.) Maybe I was just missing something.

Basically what I'm saying is that Falcom should make more games like Origin, I feel like that gameplay style in particular is better suited to that kind of game.

I don't think you were missing anything, I think it's just that Origin is a better game than Oath in pretty much every way. I played Origin before Oath and Oath felt like a clunky, miserable slog too. Origin on the other hand is not only a good Ys game but seems like a better Castlevania game than the last several Castlevania games have.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Right-oh.

• When you arrive in Minea you'll have to buy a shield and armour to progress. You start off with almost enough money, so buy the armor, equip it, then go out and grind to level 2. Then go buy the shield and continue.

Don't listen to these lies, everyone knows you buy the Ring first and give it to the guy in the pub who lost it, so you start out with 1500 gold instead of 1000.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

What is different about Chronicles + from Eternal Complete? I had a halfway-translated EC at some point like a decade or so ago, and from the Stema trailer this looks kind of like it except for the zoom-in mode (which I can't recall if it was in EC or not).

Is there ever going to be a translation of the PC version of Ys VI? I refuse to seek out any of the other versions.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

You can also switch between three different sets of music (PC-88, Chronicles, Complete)

I hope one of these is the music from God's One True Ys Soundtrack, the TurboCD version.

Nate RFB posted:

No it doesn't, but if you have the Turbo CD music in .ogg format you can just overwrite the ones in release\music (obviously you'd want to make a back-up of the original files before doing this).

Close enough, I hope there's somewhere I can grab those without it being :filez: so I don't have to go to my parents' house and dig up the CD from 1990.

VisAbsoluta posted:

Which title is better for a first time player of the series, The Oath in Felghana or Origins?

Definitely do Origin first, it's the first game chronologically and has much less gently caress-you than Felghana.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 17, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Lance Streetman posted:

Ed: Also, Spacedrake wrote up why Ys failed in the west during the 90s in the Ys I&II LP:

Man, Falcom just can't catch a break, can they. Why do they insist on releasing games to only one platform, anyway? I'd love to play some of the later Ys games but I have absolutely no intention of buying a PSP.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Awesome Welles posted:

It's nice to see this series finally getting some good attention outside of Japan. Aren't they supposed to be loving nuts about these games over there? (given that the first few games are on dozens of different systems it seems like)

I would've much rather had Ys be the wildly popular RPG series in the US than Final Fantasy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

gschmidl posted:

As will the music, if you like music. I routinely just stand around listening to it.

The boss music in Ys Origin and TurboCD 1&2 is certainly among the best of all time.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Call Now posted:

Oh my god the vampire boss in Ys 1 is terrible.

If you mean the first boss, go back and buy the next stronger sword.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It depends on if you get the weapon upgrades or not. In most cases one upgrade is the difference between "impossibly hard" and "trivially easy." I can't remember if I played on hard or not, though, it might be different on other difficulties.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Latte Lottie posted:

The fact that you can save anywhere really made it more of a test of patience than a skilled speed run, saving takes about a second so you can save anytime you are about to run through a dangerous area.

What? Since when, don't you have to go to one of those statues to save?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sethsez posted:

I thought it got a Chinese PC release?

It appears you are right:
http://xseedgames.com/forums/showthread.php?1413-Ys-Seven-PC-(Chinese-Version)
Why only a Chinese version though? That's odd.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sethsez posted:

I doubt the DRM would be an issue if it got brought over, but what else makes it bad?

I'm curious about that too, one message board I found had someone saying they were able to translate most of the game by copying the script files from the PSP version so I can't imagine it's that different.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Mindblast posted:

Is the music style of Origin comparable to Oath? The first Darm Tower track feels odd to me since I just finished Oath. It feels a tad lacking somehow. Kinda hoping it is not like that throughout the whole game.

The first track in Origin is the Darm Tower music from Ys 1. So it hits nostalgia buttons if you played that one first, plus this is what the TurboCD Darm Tower music sounded like in all its 80s-rock glory, if it makes you feel better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbqL-yo-oEg

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Huge Spatula posted:

Does anyone have any advice for Ys Origin where you have to take on the red enemies in the tower after visiting Devil's Gaze for the first time as Hugo? None of his attacks seem to do more than 1 damage to them, am I just supposed to 1 them to death?

If enemies are getting near-impossible to kill, you probably missed a weapon upgrade somewhere. Either that or you're not supposed to fight them yet, but I think it's more likely the former.

Red Mundus posted:

I think he's talking about DF in Ys 1 and not Ys:Origin. In Origin, DF and bosses in general were awesome. DF in Ys 1 was just completely laughable. It's basically a Benny Hill skit.

When do you face Dark Fact in Ys Origin? Are you confusing him with Dalles?

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 1, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Red Mundus posted:

So I just got the ability to talk with demons in Ys 2 and, my God, every game should have this ability. However the more demons I talk to the more uncomfortable I get...

Oh God, I'm committing genocide aren't I? :stare:

The Golden Sun games on GBA had a similar thing, where if you hang onto the Mind Read ability you can get alternate dialogue from every character in the game. Even in the second game where you can only get the ability if you transfer your party from the first game and it serves no plot-related purpose, everyone still has dialogue for it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ohtsam posted:

Just an aside in the second GBA game you get someone with mind read almost at the start of the game regardless of whether you transfered or not.

Huh, I didn't remember using it for any plot-related purpose, but it has been like 10 years since I played those games so I could very well be wrong.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Mimic posted:

I had this problem earlier, but I was only level 38 and I suspect I wasn't doing any appreciable damage. Once I hit 45 (which was insanely quick with the enemies outside) they went down easy. Are you doing charged blasts? That seems to make a difference.

I just beat Ys II now and man. After that much gameplay (between I and II) that was a surprisingly satisfying ending. Ys II's final boss was far more interesting than I's, too, though I enjoyed both. Now, do I go to Origins, or Oath in Felghana? Hm.

Do Felghana, then Origins. The gameplay in Origins is improved over Felghana so playing them in the reverse order will probably be somewhat less enjoyable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ryuga Death posted:

Is there a trick to getting a ton of SP, other than grinding for a long time? I want to get all the upgrades/blessings for the achievement

Other than getting the upgrades that give you more SP, nope, grinding is all you've got.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

unimportantguy posted:

I'm kind of glad I never played this version of Ys 1. It looks goddamn infuriating.
DOUBLE FACTS is also kind of a :stare: moment as well.

Seriously, what the gently caress was going on there? How does it make the transition from Ys 1 to Ys 2 if you don't get teleported at the end?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Could be worse, in the Turbo CD version of Ys2, Dogi is named Colin.

Weird, somehow when I played Ys 3 back in the day I knew that Dogi was the same guy who punched the wall down in Darm Tower. I guess I may be mixing up memories of the TurboCD version with memories of Ys Eternal on the PC though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

kthegreat posted:

I've beaten Yunica and Hugo's paths in Origin and I'm debating playing a little bit of Oath before playing the Claw to break up the monotony of doing the whole tower for a third time. Is there anything I should know before getting to deep into Oath? Like, is there anything missable?

Not really, it's not like there are special collectibles or anything, and pretty much everything you need you'll pick up along the course of the game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

Guys, we're forgetting the best named Falcom game.

"Two II" ... tutu?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Okay so I ran into a rather strange brick wall in Ys Origin playing as Hugo. I completed Rado's Annex and have to open the door. I went back to kill the blinking red monsters in the regular tower... but none of my attacks do damage. A fully charged fire attack does, like, 24 damage in 3 8 damage increments. The monsters themselves do a third of my health per attack and are super fast. What the hell, man? These are harder than any of the bosses I've faced.

I'm on hard mode.

edit: Welp, when in doubt, grind. 2 levels took care of that problem.

And when grinding doesn't work, make sure you haven't missed a weapon upgrade. One of those things can mean the difference between "impossible" and "laughable."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

In terms of future Ys games for her to possibly appear in, they have to one set in not-Rome eventually. I wonder if Falcom is holding that off for the same reason Konami still hasn't done Castlevania 1999.

Yeah, you keep on waiting for that Castlevania 1999.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Zeether posted:

So then you could transfer over your stats to Ys II after beating I like in the old Turbografx version? That would be awesome.

Could you do that? It's been decades since I played the TurboCD versions of any of these games but I thought you started over at level 1.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The only thing about playing Origin first is that it spoils a lot of 1&2, and since it's the best of the bunch gameplay-wise you'll only be going down from there (although not enough to ruin the others).

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

I don't believe anything carries over, though there was a little bit of confusion with this earlier in the thread. Regardless there shouldn't be anything wrong with starting up Ys II fresh.

But just the same, equip that silver equipment and tough it out anyway :colbert: Keep moving, don't let him trap you, and try to run along with him rather than intercepting him.

The thing about Ys 1 at least is that if you're at a boss and it's not a complete joke, then you don't have the right weapons and armor equipped. Although the Battle series of weapons / armor is supposed to be the most powerful stats wise, you need to equip the silver equipment to fight Dark Fact, as his attacks take a fraction of the damage with silver armor as it does with battle armor (and of course, you need the silver sword to even do any damage to him). Aside from that, just study the way he moves and run along with him in the same pattern and he goes down like a French prizefighter.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Saralene posted:

Think I may have fixed the Numpad and other weird input issues in Ys I & II Chronicles+ today. Now I'm about to push a patch that connects the games at Ys I's ending automatically. This can be disabled in the options menu, of course, but I always wanted to have this as a feature for Chronicles+. It was in Complete, too, I think. So many other issues still need addressed, though...

I just finished Ys 1 yesterday, and I like the idea of this, but in practice it doesn't work so well because you just get like 3 minutes of black screen while Steam does its stupid "first time install" crap (why they don't just do all this when you're actually installing the game I have no idea). I wasn't sure if something had crashed or not because the black screen was up so long, and I was expecting it to transition over.

If you could do something about that and maybe make it automatically go into New Game on Ys 2 with all the user settings transferred over, that would be pretty neat though.

Have you guys tested Ys 2 with the 360 controller? Ys 1 worked pretty much fine but Ys 2 won't let me move with the analog stick, only with the D-pad which is pretty awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SpaceDrake posted:

Feena and Reah themselves have never returned (Ys II being a pretty conclusive ending to their story)

Where do they go anyway? I assume they don't live amongst the people or anything since they give you the whole farewell spiel about the world not needing goddesses anymore, and going by the video at the end of the credits they turn back into statues maybe? I think the TurboCD version left it ambiguous too.

• Locked thread