Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Neo Rasa posted:

I can understand the tension in gamers' hearts. The game, from what we know of it right now, is literally on the razor's edge between Dark Souls+Metroid Prime 3, and Brink. Which way will it go?

How is this game anything like Metroid Prime? At all? In that game you don't even aim at things, the game does it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

AwwJeah posted:

I see the words "MMO FPS" being tossed around a lot but I really don't think that's what this game is at all. Seems to me like it's more of an online drop-in/drop-out setup where random strangers are free to join your game if you want them to. I also don't see this being an "open world sandbox." My guess is that "The Traveler" is some sort of hub city where you get missions and gear up before going to different levels.

There are social hubs, emotes, and raids. You'll run into people all over the place as you do your various missions and whatever. You are working to get better gear constantly. It's pretty MMOy.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kelp Plankton posted:

There are social hubs, emotes, and raids. You'll run into people all over the place as you do your various missions and whatever. You are working to get better gear constantly. It's pretty MMOy.

I think there's a PlayStation Home game like that.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

That mediocre reveal video posted:

...if you fail, the last light of civilzation of civilization will go out.

Really? What about all the other dudes we'll presumably be shooting? Those giant rhino dudes seem pretty cool to me. Why can't I play as them?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

7c Nickel posted:

Really? What about all the other dudes we'll presumably be shooting? Those giant rhino dudes seem pretty cool to me. Why can't I play as them?

The game is secretly about race relations within our own modern society and you can only play as that white man.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Policenaut posted:

It also seems kind of obvious that Sony's going to shove Planetside 2 out onto the PS4, so they're kind of being beaten to the punch if the plan is to make future installments on next-gen.

Man of course! How did I not make the connection with Sony publishing Planetside 2.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

PSO now by Bungie is what I'm hearing.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

doomisland posted:

PSO now by Bungie is what I'm hearing.

Yeah, that seems pretty accurate. This screen makes it look like you'll just queue up to do stuff when you aren't in the social hub/story mode.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Who knows, though maybe Eurogamer just spoke to a PR who was more diplomatic?

Pete Parsons is the COO of Bungie so I'd say his words have some weight.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Highlight of the video reveal was 'My Body Is Ready'

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don't know where you guys are pulling this info from when Bungie went out of their way to not say or show anything of substance.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Overbite posted:

I don't know where you guys are pulling this info from when Bungie went out of their way to not say or show anything of substance.

It was a press event. There were lots of press there. The press are revealing more info than was in the ViDoc.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Monster w21 Faces posted:

It was a press event. There were lots of press there. The press are revealing more info than was in the ViDoc.

The real highlight of the event.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm gonna speculate that "Raids" are basically going to be an 8-12 player mode that's similar to Firefight in Halo.

The one thing I know for sure is that this isn't going to be anything close to an Azeroth style always-on sprawling go anywhere you want sandbox world.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Man of course! How did I not make the connection with Sony publishing Planetside 2.

Why, yes, that was the gist of what I was getting at.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Planetside 2 on PS4 better be cross platform with the PC servers

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

VarXX posted:

Planetside 2 on PS4 better be cross platform with the PC servers

Ideally with some keyboard and mouse support like PS3's Dust 514 so I have a slim chance of competing with the PC users, but that's for another time and another thread.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Policenaut posted:

Sorry, did I do something to annoy you?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Sorry, did I do something to annoy you?

Did I? I just said that it seemed pretty obvious that Sony would put a Sony Online Entertainment game out on a new Sony platform and you apparently flipped out on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Much stress in this thread over Bungie games. Let's all chill and play some Oni on PS2.

Geek U.S.A. posted:

How is this game anything like Metroid Prime? At all? In that game you don't even aim at things, the game does it for you.

Man I even specified Metroid Prime 3, the one where you manually aim, but either way I was meaning more in the structure and design department, the look of the game and such. The Prime series did this great job of having you explore ancient ruins that were so organically crumbling into the natural world around them. It's really stunning when you play some FPS today then go back and see how detailed the graphics are even if they aren't high resolution. They're seriously some of the coolest looking games ever made for that sort of content. That's all I meant. :)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Policenaut posted:

Did I? I just said that it seemed pretty obvious that Sony would put a Sony Online Entertainment game out on a new Sony platform and you apparently flipped out on it.

I got the impression that he was being genuine and not factitious.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I got the impression that he was being genuine and not factitious.

Really? I didn't get that at all but if that's the case then sorry for being an rear end in a top hat.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

The best thing about this reveal is how pissed off a bunch of game journo's are about it. Jeff Gerstmann ripping into their bullshit having just rolled out of bed is amazing

The whole reveal feels more like the opening to a Kickstarter pitch than the unveiling of an actual game, way too much time spent on talking about absolutely anything but the one truly important thing, the gameplay.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pasco posted:

way too much time spent on talking about absolutely anything but the one truly important thing, the gameplay.

Well this is an Activision game. With the truncated title they're probably trying to obscure as best as possible that Bungie is making X-Men: Destiny II.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Policenaut posted:

It was just so obvious and I had completely missed it, I was facepalming. No offence was meant to you.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
That Codpiece logo is amazing.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Neo Rasa posted:

Much stress in this thread over Bungie games. Let's all chill and play some Oni on PS2.

Man I even specified Metroid Prime 3, the one where you manually aim, but either way I was meaning more in the structure and design department, the look of the game and such. The Prime series did this great job of having you explore ancient ruins that were so organically crumbling into the natural world around them. It's really stunning when you play some FPS today then go back and see how detailed the graphics are even if they aren't high resolution. They're seriously some of the coolest looking games ever made for that sort of content. That's all I meant. :)

Okay so are you saying Metroid Prime invented ancient ruins or something? I still don't see how this is anything remotely like MP3, at all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

And the media is not pleased with this one bit.

Pasco posted:

The best thing about this reveal is how pissed off a bunch of game journo's are about it. Jeff Gerstmann ripping into their bullshit having just rolled out of bed is amazing

The whole reveal feels more like the opening to a Kickstarter pitch than the unveiling of an actual game, way too much time spent on talking about absolutely anything but the one truly important thing, the gameplay.

It's really amazing how just listening to Gerstmann talk about this saps your energy about the subject. This could probably be a cool game but just hearing it all laid out over half an hour in this really draining fashion just kills me.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

It was just so obvious and I had completely missed it, I was facepalming. No offence was meant to you.

Well drat don't I look like an rear end in a top hat. I'm sorry about that, just way too used to passive aggressive snips and such here.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Policenaut posted:

It's really amazing how just listening to Gerstmann talk about this saps your energy about the subject. This could probably be a cool game but just hearing it all laid out over half an hour in this really draining fashion just kills me.

Imagine it for six hours.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Gerstmann, holy poo poo. The concept of the game and the concept art is very intriguing. I'll with hold and serious hype and excitement for this until I get a more concrete feel for what the product actually is going to be. The online only thing doesn't really bother me, and I like the social aspects of it as well.

Edit: Jeff, take a public speaking course. Good god.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

If the Gerstmann lack-of-sizzle reel put your hype on a downer, heres Adam Sessler with some more upbeat, peppy, bitching

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Policenaut posted:

Well drat don't I look like an rear end in a top hat. I'm sorry about that, just way too used to passive aggressive snips and such here.

No worries, the internet is indeed full of passive aggression. I'm just glad I hadn't caused offence by accident.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Blacktoll posted:

Gerstmann, holy poo poo. The concept of the game and the concept art is very intriguing. I'll with hold and serious hype and excitement for this until I get a more concrete feel for what the product actually is going to be. The online only thing doesn't really bother me, and I like the social aspects of it as well.

Edit: Jeff, take a public speaking course. Good god.

He can do an okay radio voice, he even does one for CBS like every week. These "grown man in his underpants" videos are intended to be candid as gently caress I think. He had a subscriber-only feature that consisted entirely of that called Jar Time(actually he still does it sometimes) and it ended up being pretty popular so now he's carrying it over for new game coverage.

Weird. Also cool. But weird.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I am mostly interested about the modular nature of the game. I had this idea a few years ago about a game that you release a main module and then you add dlc each month/3 month. Kinda the same principle of comic book or tv season and every x year you release a new base game + omnibus of all the previous dlc so you can attract fresh blood to it. The whole process will last a whole console generation. But that just an idea and Bungie seem to had the same one, except it back by talent and not just thin air.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
In an industry built on sound bites written by marketing and pr departments, Gertsmann's human 1 to 1s are a breath of fresh air.

Bleusilences posted:

I am mostly interested about the modular nature of the game. I had this idea a few years ago about a game that you release a main module and then you add dlc each month/3 month. Kinda the same principle of comic book or tv season and every x year you release a new base game + omnibus of all the previous dlc so you can attract fresh blood to it. The whole process will last a whole console generation. But that just an idea and Bungie seem to had the same one, except it back by talent and not just thin air.

So....an MMO?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
MMO isn't necessarily a bad thing, its just that MMO games have been stale as gently caress. I don't want to tap the 1,2,3 key and watch my stupid avatar do a canned attack on something. I don't want pointless treadmill grinding count as content, and, yeah.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Oh, man, a lot of concept art that isn't at all representative of what the game is actually about. gently caress, I wish I could care.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I was really hoping Destiny was like a codeword for Marathon.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Revitalized posted:

I was really hoping Destiny was like a codeword for Marathon.

That leaked contract mentions Bungie can work on Marathon after Destiny with a small team that ramps up. I have no idea if that Marathon would be a real Marathon game or merely a codename for whatever they do next, but god I'd kill for a new Marathon game.

Still, the traveller being some kind of planet-ship and the talk of AIs in some of the previews is pretty close for now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Bungie does pretty good sci-fi shooters. If the visuals in the game look anything(they never do) like the finished product then this will be great.

• Locked thread