Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Halo series is fine, but people have made it sound like they were the first to do a decent console shooter, which can only be a conclusion formed in the minds of people who have done their best to ignore the entire line-up of the Nintendo 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ufarn posted:

The Halo series is fine, but people have made it sound like they were the first to do a decent console shooter, which can only be a conclusion formed in the minds of people who have done their best to ignore the entire line-up of the Nintendo 64.

Golden Eye 64, and Perfect Dark. :hellyeah: There was nothing on the PC that even compared at the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I can't not be excited about a Bungie game, I've followed them since the mid-90s. But it's still pretty disappointing to not see anything that wasn't in the leak from a few months ago. Had that not happened, we'd probably be talking about the story and cool concept art rather than the lack of any real look at the game.

You can see a few peeks of what appears to be actual gameplay (or at least in-engine) in the vidoc but it's too brief to make much of. Hopefully they'll have more at E3 and be permitted to say that it's coming to next-generation hardware.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Funkmaster General posted:

Anyone else feel like the "stumbling across other players" thing sounds less like an MMO and more like Dark Souls? In that game you would find other players wandering around, too, but they were incorporeal ghosts. This seems like the next logical step of that. I'm actually really excited to see that happening.

edit: Another example: Journey.

Doesn't PSO2 (this whole things seems very PSO like) already do that?

I think you run into a transition area between level sections, and automatically get linked with another party. The two parties complete that section and then break up on the next transition. I've only been paying a little attention while the game slowly makes it's way stateside.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Destiny definitely not coming to PC according to bungie:

quote:

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game – almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.”

:wtc: How out of touch of reality are they?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah that last sentence, not even I can defend that. What a very stupid thing to say. Bungie is working in a vacuum or something, which is not good.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is reaching Peter Molyneux levels of arrogance.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
That statement was in the IGN preview posted on the first page, it just seems to be an extremely arrogant boast rather than a strict statement on the PC. Heck PCs can use gamepads.

Still dumb as gently caress mind.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ufarn posted:

This is reaching Peter Molyneux levels of arrogance.

As long as they don't reach David Cage levels I don't have too much of a problem with them.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Whoa, looks like they have their hands on some next-gen rendering technology.

Edit: :frogsiren: Found a screenshot of the interface :frogsiren:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also the mention of only carrying two weapons and recharging health as good things. I understand that they can work for certain games, but it's loving stifling that almost all shooters do it this way now.

Sometimes you just wanna fuckin mow aliens down with 8 weapons and find medkits. Can a man dream

ufarn
May 30, 2009

randombattle posted:

As long as they don't reach David Cage levels I don't have too much of a problem with them.
Practising a European accent as we speak.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's a pretty dumb thing to say, but checkpoints are better than a save button and I'm glad they took over.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
I'll probably try it if its on the current consoles or they actually do a PC version, but I doubt it will come out on either one of them once E3 comes along. :downsgun:

Still neat for Halo 5.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

“We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people. We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game – almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to.”

UberJumper posted:

In their defense, the "nobody wants to" was probably meant to be about health regen, autosave and making the player pick between weapons, which is arguably true.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

I said come in! posted:

Golden Eye 64, and Perfect Dark. :hellyeah: There was nothing on the PC that even compared at the time.

You mean aside from Quake, Half-life, Tribes and Unreal Tournament :psyduck:

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
The "PC is dead" statment is a ludicrous thing, but boy do we get the cold shoulder. :smith:

From what i understand, the game basically requires an always-on internet connection so piracy is less of an issue. Maybe the contract with EA forbids them to publish their games on PC platform? :shrug:

Because i can't think of any strong enought reason on why a developer would dismiss a market segment in such manner. I would even say offensive (Jason Jones statment), but i could be overreacting.

Still holding hope for a PC version anyway.

UnchainedZero
Apr 3, 2009

orphean posted:

Whoa, looks like they have their hands on some next-gen rendering technology.

Edit: :frogsiren: Found a screenshot of the interface :frogsiren:

Can someone explain what this is? I don't get it. What am I looking at? Is it a joke I'm not picking up on?

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Maybe theres no Destiny PC so it wont get stomped in the ground by Project TITAN?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

UnchainedZero posted:

Can someone explain what this is? I don't get it. What am I looking at? Is it a joke I'm not picking up on?

The second screenshot is Bryce - a rending program that's probably 15 years old by now.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Maybe they don't want to make a PC version because of all the competition. The consoles have nothing that compares to a MMOFPS aside from MAG or maybe Dust.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I didn't read the whole thread so it might have been mentioned, but this game is very similar to what I imagined Blizzard would be doing with their upcoming IP. I have absolutely nothing to go off and this comment is baseless speculation, but a game of this supposed magnitude on a console just seems impractical. And if Bungie is making a game like this published by Activision, what IS Blizzard doing?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Overbite posted:

Maybe they don't want to make a PC version because of all the competition. The consoles have nothing that compares to a MMOFPS aside from MAG or maybe Dust.

Dust shouldn't be considered competition for anything

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I didn't read the whole thread so it might have been mentioned, but this game is very similar to what I imagined Blizzard would be doing with their upcoming IP. I have absolutely nothing to go off and this comment is baseless speculation, but a game of this supposed magnitude on a console just seems impractical. And if Bungie is making a game like this published by Activision, what IS Blizzard doing?

Welcome to the world of annual MMO releases.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

LordOfThePants posted:

The second screenshot is Bryce - a rending program that's probably 15 years old by now.

Good, I'm not the only one who recognizes Bryce3D.

I find it very disappointing that they're not bothering with a PC release. They're already aping the Dark Souls multiplayer system, so I guess they must have missed the part where an online petition brought that console only game to the PC.

I just hope it sold well enough for it to stand as an example of why this game should come to PC as well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Maybe, but the way they described the drop-in coop made it seem like an FPS version of Dark Souls. Actually, a lot of the concept art reminded me of a scifi/fantasy version of DS, but maybe that was just me dreaming.

I said come in! posted:

Did you forget all of the Quake and Unreal games? Quake 1 came out a year before Goldeneye, Half Life was a year after. Unreal Tournament came out two years later and one year before Perfect Dark. Counter Strike came out the same year as Perfect Dark. :confused:

edit: ^^^^ Dark Souls sold well enough on the PC that the next game will have the PC included as one of the primary platforms.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ovo posted:

You mean aside from Quake, Half-life, Tribes and Unreal Tournament :psyduck:

All those games were still doing the "Move through corridor => grab keycard/flip switch => proceed to next corridor" school of design. They may have had superior graphics and control but Rare's console FPSes had actual objectives and the difficulty levels did more than pump up enemy HP and damage.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

...of SCIENCE! posted:

All those games were still doing the "Move through corridor => grab keycard/flip switch => proceed to next corridor" school of design. They may have had superior graphics and control but Rare's console FPSes had actual objectives and the difficulty levels did more than pump up enemy HP and damage.

Do you honestly think Goldeneye was superior to Half Life?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

UberJumper posted:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/17/destiny-not-coming-to-pc-bungie-deny-reality/

I wish them the best of luck with their generic space FPS.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Do you honestly think Goldeneye was superior to Half Life?

Everyone fellates Half-Life and its sequel, but they honestly never did it for me, so if he prefers Goldeneye, I can entirely accept that.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Let's not get stupid here. It is known that Half-Life 2 has the best SP campaign of any FPS.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought you just said not to get stupid here?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Right, so don't go on trying to deny facts.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Let's not get stupid here. It is known that Half-Life 2 has the best SP campaign of any FPS.

I think you meant to say Unreal 2. :smug:

vvv Halo was my first console shooter and you pretty much described my experience. Though the Custom Edition on the PC had a pretty rad multiplayer community. Driving mechs and dropping nukes from stealth bombers was amazing.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 18, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At any rate, Halo was extremely corridor-y and linear, and copied and pasted. There were certainly much better shooters on the market when it was released. I don't even think the multiplayer holds up. Everyone loved to hang out and play Blood Gulch when we were younger, but the original is a designer's nightmare. Two encampments with a direct sightline to each other, and some mild hills. And that ridiculous corner sniper spot.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Lotish posted:

Everyone fellates Half-Life and its sequel, but they honestly never did it for me, so if he prefers Goldeneye, I can entirely accept that.

Fair enough. Though given the metrics provided Half-Life had better control and graphics and its' objectives / narrative were considerably in advance of Goldeneye. Plus it had 32 player multiplayer to Goldeneye's 4.

I'm not saying Goldeneye was a bad game or anything of the sort and it was a revolution for console FPSes but compared to HL it just doesn't seem on the same level.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I remember seeing the first Halo running on a GameStop demo booth when it was about to release. I turned to my mother and said "Look at those graphics! I don't think it's possible to make something look better than that without being photorealistic."

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Heh. I mean, it's fine that it's too soon to comment on certain aspects of the game, but if it's too soon to comment on any aspect of the game beyond something you'd find in the design doc, then why are they doing a high-profile reveal in the first place?

As it is, everyone involved just came off as cagey and evasive, with responses that engendered more skepticism than enthusiasm.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

UberJumper posted:

I can't wait for them to reveal how innovative this game is by showing off iron sights!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I wonder how Bungie feels right now with the response being as tepid across the board as you can get. Wasting the time of the press is not a good way to start a healthy, lengthy, and annoying PR campaign.

That combined with conflicting reports about a PC version and 10 seconds of gameplay footage (probably because it's getting saved for the PS4 reveal...maybe) says to me they were unprepared and should have canceled the event.

What was the result of the ARG? Everyone stopped caring around the 3rd day and didn't bother with it. That to me says a whole lot.

• Locked thread