Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Have they released how pvp level tiering will work? I know they sort of equalize things w/r/t damage but access to more abilities still gives higher people an advantage. I want my baseline halo pvp, really hoping for a mode that sort of clones that (although I doubt there will ever be weapons on map)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Heavy ammo spawns basically play the role of weapons on map.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

General Battuta posted:

Heavy ammo spawns basically play the role of weapons on map.

Power weapons, yeah, but we're probably not getting a quake-arena style 'map knowledge and weapon routes are king' type deal. Which I can live with, but I'm hoping for a mode with selectable loadouts or something. Would be cool to have a level-playing-field gametype that also lets you test out other classes and builds.

I'm really curious to see how if/how they tweaked the heavy ammo too. In Alpha it was 'no matter what drop whatever you're doing and go for heavy ammo' because my heavy weapon provided nonstop one hit kills.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Christoff posted:

Probably a dumb question and answer is probably no but has Bungie officially said that beta progress won't carry over?

I pre-ordered from GameStop because they had a trade-in deal. Should I try to upgrade it to the limited edition? Is that extra poo poo worth $5? I know you should avoid DLC with poo poo like COD but I feel like given the hype and already popularity everyone is going to have the DLC.

I have my receipt somewhere I think I read online the beta codes are on the receipt? I preordered about a month ago though.

Is junk cluttering up your closet worth $5 to you? Only you can answer! Also seems silly to me to plunk down $35 on something that doesn't exist and will still cost $35 when it does.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Today's beta update: Hope you like listicles!

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

As a fellow Euro, how are people pre-downloading the beta client?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

bubbapook posted:

Via the internet.

yugge
Aug 27, 2008

bubbapook posted:

PSN?

Go to the shop, then your library, then beta client, press download.

If the download button doesn't appear or has a X on it, you have to go to your download notification center, find the old notification of beta client downloaded (it registered as downloaded when I bought mine) the press the option button and press delete. This should tell PSN that the beta client is no longer on your machine and the download button should now be back in the shop.

I don't know if I found some other things in the system manager that I deleted, well, except for the alpha client which was still lingering around, but that was how I did it.

Undead Muppet
Apr 29, 2007

a cop posted:

Power weapons, yeah, but we're probably not getting a quake-arena style 'map knowledge and weapon routes are king' type deal. Which I can live with, but I'm hoping for a mode with selectable loadouts or something. Would be cool to have a level-playing-field gametype that also lets you test out other classes and builds.

What multiplayer FPS exists where map knowledge isn't a huge element of victory? Knowing lines of sight, spawn zones, choke points, and common player pathing and camping spots has been enormously important in every mp FPS I've ever played, and the two maps in the alpha didn't indicate Destiny would be any different.

As for gear balance, the wording of the game mode we got to play in Alpha was something like "semi-restricted" or "level balanced", can't remember exactly. It gave me the impression that in the full game some modes will be fully unrestricted on gear and level, while others will equalize everyone similar to a a more traditional mp shooter.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Undead Muppet posted:

What multiplayer FPS exists where map knowledge isn't a huge element of victory? Knowing lines of sight, spawn zones, choke points, and common player pathing and camping spots has been enormously important in every mp FPS I've ever played, and the two maps in the alpha didn't indicate Destiny would be any different.

I didn't say they were unimportant, but quake style arena is A Thing and halo was the closest we've gotten to That Thing for awhile and as far as I know destiny is not That Thing. It's Another Thing. I just want a little bit of Thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo (at least until 4) had a huge weapon control element that doesn't seem to be present here. If you coordinated and knew what you were doing your team could be holding the rocket launcher, sniper, laser, etc for virtually the entire match.

Whereas in Destiny there's not really anything to collect on the map except the periodic heavy ammo drops, of which there is only one at a time and it's heavily advertised.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Ya what he said, thanks for the explanation. I'm pumped no matter what because Bungie owns. I'm basically just in pipedream mode, I want the best of all worlds since (as far as I know?) we haven't seen much of what's actually going to be in the game as far as multiplayer modes go.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

a cop posted:

I didn't say they were unimportant, but quake style arena is A Thing and halo was the closest we've gotten to That Thing for awhile and as far as I know destiny is not That Thing. It's Another Thing. I just want a little bit of Thing.

What in the gently caress

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

echronorian posted:

What in the gently caress

One sec, making a flow chart.

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

a cop posted:

Ya what he said, thanks for the explanation. I'm pumped no matter what because Bungie owns. I'm basically just in pipedream mode, I want the best of all worlds since (as far as I know?) we haven't seen much of what's actually going to be in the game as far as multiplayer modes go.

While I understand what you're saying, I dont think thats really what bungie is going for. Halo still is the best current franchise for that 'thing' and bungie knows that. Based on their history, I think Destiny pvp will feel reminiscent of that fast paced arena pvp, but it will be unique in it's own right.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh yeah, no doubt it'll own. Messing around with various builds is a fair tradeoff anyway, you could tell Bungie was getting a bit tired of the Halo formula as they introduced armor abilities and such so you know there's going to be some inspired poo poo in the trees. Almost Friday baby.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
Took me about 90 minutes to pre-load the beta on PSN in Australia but obviously YMMV.

Since I purchased Destiny on the PSN store, I have no idea if I get the extra keys or not, but if I do I'll be sure to supply them to goons.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
So I'm guessing Americans are the only ones not getting to pre-load the beta since it seems like Europe and Australia is

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Daric posted:

So I'm guessing Americans are the only ones not getting to pre-load the beta since it seems like Europe and Australia is

Yup, looking at my download list and still just seeing the PSN ~55 day countdown.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Isn't that because there's probably some European Directive on not being able to charge for pre-orders until release or some poo poo?

The way people are doing this is pre-ordering, starting the download then cancelling the pre-order.

edit: could also be that NA PSN isn't doing the download at all I guess.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Christoff posted:

Probably a dumb question and answer is probably no but has Bungie officially said that beta progress won't carry over?

The only thing known for sure to carry over is an emblem you get for playing the beta on the 26th. I'm okay with a wipe though, I'll be playing the beta on PS3 and the actual game on a PS4.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So what's the news on downloading the beta client? I preordered a physical copy off of amazon and have my beta code entered into bungie and PS4 selected as my platform. No emails yet so I'm curious as to the earliest when we'll be able to download the client.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ularg posted:

So what's the news on downloading the beta client? I preordered a physical copy off of amazon and have my beta code entered into bungie and PS4 selected as my platform. No emails yet so I'm curious as to the earliest when we'll be able to download the client.

At some point on the 17th, Bungie will email you a code that you enter into PSN that will let you download. The code may/may not show up on your account at bungie.net before you get the email (I was able to specify a platform before they sent me an email telling me I could.)

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

cant even log into bungie... Something about maintenance.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

a cop posted:

Isn't that what the secondary/heavy ammo drops are for? It's not exactly the same as camping the rocket launcher but eh

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Dead Like Rev posted:

cant even log into bungie... Something about maintenance.

@BungieHelp tweeted "Bungie.net is being updated and tweaked for a few hours. During maintenance users will be unable to sign in. Pardon our dust."

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Equilibrium posted:

Isn't that what the secondary/heavy ammo drops are for? It's not exactly the same as camping the rocket launcher but eh

Yeah pretty much. They changed it from having to control the weapon spawns to having to control the ammo spawns and choosing the weapons you want. I think it's a pretty okay compromise but I barely played crucible during the alpha so I'm open to being wrong.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

It seems like it'll either be a mad dash every time it's dropped or an area that's regularly camped, yeah. On the alpha maps the heavy ammo only spawned in one location, and was on a semi-random timer, right? Or was it set to every x seconds after pickup or drop?

Never had trouble finding secondary ammo.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anybody willing to trade one of my extra PS4 codes for a PS3 code when they arrive? My wife wants to play with and I'm not buying another PS4 yet. Or maybe one of my own codes will work since redemption code formats are the same across PS3/4.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

a cop posted:

It seems like it'll either be a mad dash every time it's dropped or an area that's regularly camped, yeah. On the alpha maps the heavy ammo only spawned in one location, and was on a semi-random timer, right? Or was it set to every x seconds after pickup or drop?

Never had trouble finding secondary ammo.

Tactical group-dash. Pick up heavy ammo with teammates nearby = they get their own load of heavy ammo.

Two three locations, felt like a fixed time but if it was I need to get an egg timer.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Do I need to redeem my code on the PSN? I registered on bungie, but I don't know where I go to start preloading?

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD
You get the beta code for Bungie from the retailer, and input that into http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption (PSN login seems to be down at the moment).

Then on that page you select the system you want and region.

After that, according to Bungie on the 17th you will receive a code to (I assume) input into PSN.

EU seems to be preloading but US can't at the moment. At least that is how I understand it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Soarer posted:

You get the beta code for Bungie from the retailer, and input that into http://www.bungie.net/en/User/coderedemption (PSN login seems to be down at the moment).

Then on that page you select the system you want and region.

After that, according to Bungie on the 17th you will receive a code to (I assume) input into PSN.

EU seems to be preloading but US can't at the moment. At least that is how I understand it.

Oooh, so I can't preload it yet then?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

And so the beta influx begins. People preloading are the ones in a Euro PSN region who preordered through PSN. Everyone else has to wait for a key for the platform from Bungie after redeeming their generic beta key as stated on their site and for the last 5 pages.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.
The app is live on the App Store, can't do much with it right now though.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
There's a few lucky people on my friends list at the moment playing the beta, this makes me jealous.

SeriousGreen
Nov 12, 2013
I just posted a beta key in the PGS destiny thread. Get it while it's hot!

Edit: taken.

SeriousGreen fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 16, 2014

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Decent effort work-in-progress OP is pretty much done with what can be done, posting the new thread in five hours, then it's 24 until the beta opens. Gotten so many good ideas and I really want to see what the start of the game is like (supposedly the beta handles the actual start) so that I can finish it up and take screengrabs for art and stuff too.

Most important is the big fat load of beta information, when where and how.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 16, 2014

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I kinda hope it starts with us dying since we're all super zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

Does anyone know if it is possible to pre-order for one system and play the beta on another? When you redeem the beta code do you choose the system regardless of from what system the game was pre-ordered?

Based on what some people have said about ps3/4 codes it seems like it might be, but wanted to check if anyone knew.

• Locked thread