Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Got some Stilton at 7.99/lb, it sort of sucks working at a nice-ish cheese shop in a town that doesn't want to buy good cheese but it also means stuff gets reduced way more than it should. As in consistently over 50% off when its around 2 weeks to its manufacturers date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affably Evil
Nov 10, 2012

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Probably Camembert. I'll cut the top off and smear on a few minced garlic cloves and rosemary with a bit of olive oil, then bake until runny.

Thank you for this! I tried it last night and it was really nice. Not quite what I remember eating but that may be due to brand differences.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have any suggestions for cheese making kits?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Affably Evil posted:

Thank you for this! I tried it last night and it was really nice. Not quite what I remember eating but that may be due to brand differences.

Could it be cambozola? That would match the description: brie with a little more "kick".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Reviving this thread because I'd like to explore more cheeses through y'all's recommendations.

So recently, I managed to pick up a couple of nice selections from my semi-local Whole Foods - Cotswold and a version of Fromager d'Affinois with garlic and herbs.

The former is a double Gloucester with chives and onions in it; the latter, a double cream with a fair bit of kick on its own, with the garlic and herbs adding a lot more flavour. I enjoyed both of them.

If I want to explore more Brie-like cheeses, what would y'all recommend? I've had... Port Salut, Saint-Honoré, Délice de Bourgogne, and a few others whose names I can't recall.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

graybook posted:

Reviving this thread because I'd like to explore more cheeses through y'all's recommendations.

So recently, I managed to pick up a couple of nice selections from my semi-local Whole Foods - Cotswold and a version of Fromager d'Affinois with garlic and herbs.

The former is a double Gloucester with chives and onions in it; the latter, a double cream with a fair bit of kick on its own, with the garlic and herbs adding a lot more flavour. I enjoyed both of them.

If I want to explore more Brie-like cheeses, what would y'all recommend? I've had... Port Salut, Saint-Honoré, Délice de Bourgogne, and a few others whose names I can't recall.
Depends on what you mean by Brie-like - if you mean just mean goopy with a soft crust, Livarot is pretty much my favorite cheese of all time. More brie-like in flavor I'd go with Brillat-Saverin. But at the Whole Foods out here there are some pretty good American goat bries, which I've quite enjoyed. Make sure you're eating at/near room temperature!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 9, 2013

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

graybook posted:

Costco has a Double Gloucester with chives and spring onions. The first brick I got was incredible. The second one seemed... foamy? in texture and not as good.

Camembert is very similar to Brie with just a little more assertive flavor. Cambozola is another one similar to Brie but with a blue cheese component.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
For Brie like cheeses, I'd also try to find some Taleggio or Morbier, both of which will have a slightly stronger aroma but a similar and awesome flavor. Taleggio will be a little more similar to brie than Morbier, which is a little stronger. In the same vein, you could always get some young Limburger.

Cotswold is one of my favorite cheeses, especially with a lighter beer. Or a few lighter beers.

dumptruckzzz fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 11, 2013

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm fairly certain that I've had Taleggio before, but I'll keep Morbier and Livarot in mind for the future; I tend to shy away from blue cheeses, though.

In terms of other pretty rad cheese I've had, there was this one variety some friends got for a party that was great, but I can't pin down the exact type. I knew it as Beemster, but a quick search seems to show quite a few types of Beemster, and I don't believe the cheese was labeled aside from just being "Beemster". Regardless, I'd recommend trying at least one variety of it.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Gotta represent my hometown(ish) cheese of Wensleydale. Soft, crumbly, and with a delicate nutty yet tangy flavour, it's awesome with slices of fresh apple or with fruit cake. You can also find it with Cranberries or apricot mixed in, but for me that takes away from the cheese a little. It can also be used instead of feta in many recipes, having a similar but slightly drier consistency.

If you can find it, Swaledale is maybe even better, although production is much lower.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is the best way to store various types of cheese? If I buy expensive cheese I want it to last as long and taste as good as possible.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Came in to recommend the imaginatively named Kaltbach Creamy & Tasty. I'd take a picture but the whole block just mysteriously evaporated before I managed to get a picture. Seriously good cave-aged cheese. Semi soft, sweet and nutty.

One Swell Foop posted:

If you can find it, Swaledale is maybe even better, although production is much lower.

Had a cracking Swaledale from the local Waitrose cheese counter recently.

Wensleydale is nice too though; Some years ago I discovered that it works really well crumbled and grilled over corned beef and chutney, especially on an "English" muffin with real butter. Awesome Sunday/Hangover comfort food.

Red_Fred posted:

What is the best way to store various types of cheese? If I buy expensive cheese I want it to last as long and taste as good as possible.

I find eating it is a good way to make sure it doesn't spoil. Cheese is lucky to last 12 hours in my fridge.

Lazarett
Jul 9, 2013
I really love cheese. It is the second best thing in the world of food really, and it isn't that unhealthy! I actually live two hours from Straßburg, the only french city i can order stuff without speaking the drat language(not hating on french, i just can't speak it good enough to hold a conversation, and those french people are just too nice to only say "4€ please" and then i feel dumb because i can't answer their banter and pleasantries)! Now if i only had the money to burn for that kind of trip.

So one supermarket near me sells goat cheese rolls that are made with all sorts of funny stuff like honey, pepper and sometimes even mint. That tastes good but is very expensive since it is an organic store and they source them from a dairy that is really small. Other supermarkets sell mostly safe things like Délice d'Argental, Bries, Emmentaler, Gauda and the rest of german/austrian/swiss cheeses. Not that really runny stuff that i really want to try or crazy foreign cheese from the british isles or America(both north and south). They once had an irish cheddar(maybe?) that was brightly orange and was very brittle and spicy? Best day i had in week because that was really something different for me. I have not seen that cheese since then.

I even like Harzer. It is full of protein and tastes good in a salad when finely diced.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Vacuum sealing is a good way to preserve hard cheeses. A reasonable Foodsaver vacuum setup can be acquired for under $100, and opens up a whole new world of bulk food buying.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

on my way up to the vermont cheesemaker's festival last weekend i was lucky enough to be invited to tour the cellars at jasper hill, this insane $3.2 million cheese aging facility in greensboro, vt. they make and age some incredible cheeses there using their own milk and milk that is sourced from other farms in the northeast kingdom that are too small to effectively distribute their own dairy. we had to wear lab coats and sterilized boots and hairnets. every time you go into or out of a cave you have to wash your boots off in sterile foot baths. cool. ok here are some pictures

this is the entrance to the cellars. it's underground. neat.

the first cave we went into was the bloomy rind cave. this is the harbison rack, which is a soft ripened cheese bound in strips of spruce bark which gives it a very earthy, woodsy, minerally flavor. we take this cheese back to our own caves in new york and wash it with a beer brine for eleven madison park to turn it into greensward. this rack has on it some very young harbisons which are less than a day old.

here they are after 11 days. ready to get wrapped up. even though they are a few weeks away from being able to eat, it's important to not let the mold run too wild or the rind will get ruined.

the washed rind cave. we weren't even allowed to go in this one because of the risk of contamination. fine. whatever.

this is the clothbound cheddar cave. by far the largest of the 6. jasper hill gets 35 pound wheels of cheddar from cabot and wraps them in muslin, then paints them with lard, then puts a second layer of muslin on. this protects the cheddar from cheese mites during its 14 month aging process, and also provides a great place for microflora to inhabit, as well as allowing the cheese to lose moisture, intensifying the flavor as it gets older.

the affineur who showed us around described the cloth layer as a "metropolis of microflora"

the bayley hazen blue cave. one of my all time favorite blues. they use loose stones as part of the floor to help regulate moisture levels in the cave.

young

almost ready. this is a few days after piercing. when blue cheese is made, the blue mold spores are mixed in with the curd. after it is pressed, it's pierced by needles to allow oxygen into the paste. this activates the mold and allows blue veins to form.

moldy

cool. that place is really amazing. it's gigantic and it feels like being in a space ship filled with cheese.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

yes posted:

on my way up to the vermont cheesemaker's festival last weekend i was lucky enough to be invited to tour the cellars at jasper hill, this insane $3.2 million cheese aging facility in greensboro, vt. they make and age some incredible cheeses there using their own milk and milk that is sourced from other farms in the northeast kingdom that are too small to effectively distribute their own dairy. we had to wear lab coats and sterilized boots and hairnets. every time you go into or out of a cave you have to wash your boots off in sterile foot baths. cool. ok here are some pictures

this is the entrance to the cellars. it's underground. neat.

the first cave we went into was the bloomy rind cave. this is the harbison rack, which is a soft ripened cheese bound in strips of spruce bark which gives it a very earthy, woodsy, minerally flavor. we take this cheese back to our own caves in new york and wash it with a beer brine for eleven madison park to turn it into greensward. this rack has on it some very young harbisons which are less than a day old.

here they are after 11 days. ready to get wrapped up. even though they are a few weeks away from being able to eat, it's important to not let the mold run too wild or the rind will get ruined.

the washed rind cave. we weren't even allowed to go in this one because of the risk of contamination. fine. whatever.

this is the clothbound cheddar cave. by far the largest of the 6. jasper hill gets 35 pound wheels of cheddar from cabot and wraps them in muslin, then paints them with lard, then puts a second layer of muslin on. this protects the cheddar from cheese mites during its 14 month aging process, and also provides a great place for microflora to inhabit, as well as allowing the cheese to lose moisture, intensifying the flavor as it gets older.

the affineur who showed us around described the cloth layer as a "metropolis of microflora"

the bayley hazen blue cave. one of my all time favorite blues. they use loose stones as part of the floor to help regulate moisture levels in the cave.

young

almost ready. this is a few days after piercing. when blue cheese is made, the blue mold spores are mixed in with the curd. after it is pressed, it's pierced by needles to allow oxygen into the paste. this activates the mold and allows blue veins to form.

moldy

cool. that place is really amazing. it's gigantic and it feels like being in a space ship filled with cheese.

awesomeeee

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

yes posted:

it feels like being in a space ship filled with cheese.

I don't think that anyone has ever so succinctly described my version of heaven. Thanks for the trip report, it is awesome!

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

St Agur Blue is one of my favourite cheeses. It's not as strong as Roquefort/Stilton but still packs quite a punch and is a lot creamier.

Regarding Roquefort & Stilton, you have to try them on freshly baked gingerbread - a match made in heaven.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
This Saturday I'm going to the Festival of Cheese. I have very little cheese experience that isn't in the local grocery mart. Right now, my plan is try each cheese that's in Cheese Shop. Any other advice?

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

In general, the less appetizing it looks, the more you should try it.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Coco13 posted:

This Saturday I'm going to the Festival of Cheese. I have very little cheese experience that isn't in the local grocery mart. Right now, my plan is try each cheese that's in Cheese Shop. Any other advice?

eat everything

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
If you want something stronger than "usual" brie, you can taste the "Brie de Meaux" which is the best brie.

It's between brie and camembert taste.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Luminaz posted:

If you want something stronger than "usual" brie, you can taste the "Brie de Meaux" which is the best brie.

It's between brie and camembert taste.

You should also see if you can get your hands on Brie Fermier (Brie of the farm). It's styled after Brie de Meaux, but since you can't get the real stuff in America (they send over the pasteurized version, Fromage de Meaux, which doesn't taste nearly as good), I prefer Fermier. It's amazing: deep, rich, barnyardy, vegetal...it smells like butter and roasted cauliflower.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

yes posted:

You should also see if you can get your hands on Brie Fermier (Brie of the farm). It's styled after Brie de Meaux, but since you can't get the real stuff in America (they send over the pasteurized version, Fromage de Meaux, which doesn't taste nearly as good), I prefer Fermier. It's amazing: deep, rich, barnyardy, vegetal...it smells like butter and roasted cauliflower.

Oh ... I always forget that you only have access to pasteurized cheese in the USA... :(

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Luminaz posted:

Oh ... I always forget that you only have access to pasteurized cheese in the USA... :(

I thought that cheeses produced in the USA have to be pasteurized, but imported cheeses do not have to be.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Even imported cheese have to be either pasteurized or aged at least 60 days. That's why there is such a thing as a black market in cheese.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Kenning posted:

Even imported cheese have to be either pasteurized or aged at least 60 days. That's why there is such a thing as a black market in cheese.

I see, so you can only have access to chesse like Roquefort, Mimolette, etc, right ? (not "young" cheese like Brie, Tome, etc.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

We don't have access to all the acclaimed young delicate brie and stuff. Unless you know somebody.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Kenning posted:

We don't have access to all the acclaimed young delicate brie and stuff. Unless you know somebody.

That's why I see a lot of US people inside Cheese bars in Paris :)

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Kenning posted:

Man, the US really is a horrible cheese desert, even if you disregard your curious affinity for plastic slices pretenduing to be cheese. That is a shame, comnsidering that your food culture otherwise actually seems pretty damned great in many ways, at least in major cities. I feel for you cheese loving americans.

That said, Monte Enebro is pasturized and fantastic. Think of it as a stronger more delicious Chevre.

For those of you who like Comte, try out some Gruyère. The older the better. Goes really great with red wine and maaybe some chopped up hazelnuts or wwalnuts mixed with something sweet, like Sirap. (A Swedish molasses like sugar product)

EatThePixies
May 7, 2007
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
What are you people talking about? You can buy raw milk cheese in the U.S. This is just a small company that makes and sells both raw and pasteurized milk cheese. I can buy in the stores and get it through a CSA, it can't be the only one. http://www.lifelinefarm.com/DairyDirectCheesePriceList.pdf

edit: And I looked at the Fourme d'Ambert I got from loving Costco and it is made with unpasteurized milk.

EatThePixies fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 26, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Captainsalami posted:

So i picked up this cheese in the fancy cheese section of my local grocery store. I heard it tasted like sweet caramel and had an odd swedish name, came in a little package and was square. Instead of sweet it tasted horrible with a barely detectable caramel flavor. Was it a bad chunk? I was all excited to try it too cause i like caramel. :(:

I see geitost / gjetost / goat cheese thrown around a lot, but it could've been brunost / mysost? I find the Gudbrandsdalsost (Gudbrand's valley cheese?) taste very caramelly and sweet, and I love to combine it with a well matured Jarlsberg cheese or some really matured Gouda. Tastes very well when smelted together over a loaf of bread, crackers or flatbread.

Pics of brunost / mysost / brown cheese / geitost / gjetost / goat cheese, because I love it.

- my regular brand, Tine Gudbrandsdalsost

- my go to brand for sauces and when I want something a bit stronger in taste, Tine Ekte Geitost (Real goat cheese, made from goat milk, instead of mixing goat and cow milk as some do for regular goat cheese)

Cheese is my favourite food and I put some variant of it in almost everything I make. Especially in soups or anything related to meat.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

EatThePixies posted:

What are you people talking about? You can buy raw milk cheese in the U.S. This is just a small company that makes and sells both raw and pasteurized milk cheese. I can buy in the stores and get it through a CSA, it can't be the only one. http://www.lifelinefarm.com/DairyDirectCheesePriceList.pdf

edit: And I looked at the Fourme d'Ambert I got from loving Costco and it is made with unpasteurized milk.

Yes, as Kenning said, unpasteurized cheese in the US has to be aged at least 60 days. All of those cheeses you linked are over 2 months of age.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

To everyone poo-pooing pasteurized American young cheeses, I suggest you go out and buy a wheel of Green Hill from Sweet Grass Dairy. It's a plump little Camembert-style butter bomb. Eat it, then come back here and call the US a "cheese desert".

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Picked up some Cambozola today as well as some Brillat-Saverin based on you folks' recommendations. I partook of the Cambozola tonight with some friends, and I figure I'll try out the Brillat-Saverin sometime this week.

I've also got some Cotswold to share with friends next week; that's some nice stuff.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

So my husband and I looked all over for Roquefort and couldn't find it... then last night it pops up at Walmart. He hates it, and I'm glad I get the entire slice to myself. This stuff is great.

I like most cheeses except for the soft stuff like brie. This thread needs to not die, because cheese is awesome.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Scathach posted:

So my husband and I looked all over for Roquefort and couldn't find it... then last night it pops up at Walmart. He hates it, and I'm glad I get the entire slice to myself. This stuff is great.

I like most cheeses except for the soft stuff like brie. This thread needs to not die, because cheese is awesome.

Agreed. I haven't been able to get any new cheese lately, but a couple of my friends are having a housewarming party and have requested that I bring cheese.

I'll take pictures of what I get and relay my thoughts on 'em here; I hope to get a good amount of new things I've never tried.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Scathach posted:

Get a bit of the nicest, most floral honey you can find. Get a perfect, crusty, brilliantly caramelized baguette. Bread, Roquefort, light honey drizzle. It's madness.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kenning posted:

Get a bit of the nicest, most floral honey you can find. Get a perfect, crusty, brilliantly caramelized baguette. Bread, Roquefort, light honey drizzle. It's madness.

That is kinda cheating though, since it works for most cheeses.

Lately, I've been rocking a nice slovenian(?) cheese. It is like a cheddar but made with sheep's milk. It tastes as awesome as you'd expect. I'm not sure on the name. Kolapcha or something like that?

Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Had a Canadian camembert today, and finally enjoyed eating the cheese.
The mild old sock part of the taste used to put me off but I've gotten used to it now.

Went really nice with the rosemary cream crackers I picked up. It covers over any ammonia taint which is present.
Had slices of asian pear for a palette cleanser.

• Locked thread