Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yes
Aug 26, 2004

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmmm, interesting. We get our cheeses directly from an established cheese shop in town, and I feel like they would have said something if that were the case. Thanks for the tip, though. I'd be surprised if the shop were trying to pull one over on us, but I'll look into it.

Just spoke with Helen down at the farm. They're just beginning to milk their cows this week so it's going to be another ~2 months until we see a new batch this season. I'd get that cheese off of your cheese plate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Last week I got a Chaource that is quite delicious. It's still very young though. Can I just let it sit in the fridge (wrapped in wax paper) to let it ripen a bit more, even though it is cut open already? It's good now, but I think I might enjoy a bit more funky- and runnyness.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmmm, interesting. We get our cheeses directly from an established cheese shop in town, and I feel like they would have said something if that were the case. Thanks for the tip, though. I'd be surprised if the shop were trying to pull one over on us, but I'll look into it.

Did anything come of this after you found out it was old cheese?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The place I buy cheese from has Burrata and I'd like to try it, but how exactly do you eat it? Cold, hot or room temperature? Do you just eat the bag of cheese and it's insides as is or what kind of things does it go well with?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Cold or room temperature. I prefer it cold, with nice, real balsamic vinegar and olive oil drizzled over it. With or without a big pile of arugula.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

katkillad2 posted:

The place I buy cheese from has Burrata and I'd like to try it, but how exactly do you eat it? Cold, hot or room temperature? Do you just eat the bag of cheese and it's insides as is or what kind of things does it go well with?
Room temperature, ideally never having been refrigerated. Drizzle with olive oil if you want, if it's room temp it needs no assistance. Eat with a spoon.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My burrata experience was a bust, I tried it two ways... cold in a bowl with balsamic and olive oil and cold on a sandwich with pancetta and tomatoes.

It was just bland and didn't really taste like anything, in comparison I got some Canadian mozzarella which had a nice salty dairy flavor to it. To be fair though, I went too early and they didn't have any they made from scratch and I ended up buying some in a tub filled with water. I'll give it one more shot with the made from scratch kind and make sure I go later in the day when it's ready.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Like most cheeses, wouldn't burrata benefit from being room temp as opposed to cold? Might be why it seemed bland to you.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

katkillad2 posted:

My burrata experience was a bust, I tried it two ways... cold in a bowl with balsamic and olive oil and cold on a sandwich with pancetta and tomatoes.

It was just bland and didn't really taste like anything, in comparison I got some Canadian mozzarella which had a nice salty dairy flavor to it. To be fair though, I went too early and they didn't have any they made from scratch and I ended up buying some in a tub filled with water. I'll give it one more shot with the made from scratch kind and make sure I go later in the day when it's ready.
Yeah it's not very good cold. I should have been more emphatic.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Hopefully someone can suggest a few things - I'm looking for a strong, soft cheese (for a risotto) but I cannot stand things like blue cheeses or Bries/Camenberts/Goats cheeses etc.

I love very strong cheddars etc. so strength isn't a problem.

And suggestions welcome...if such a cheese exists of course.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Aged brick cheese.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Sonic H posted:

Hopefully someone can suggest a few things - I'm looking for a strong, soft cheese (for a risotto) but I cannot stand things like blue cheeses or Bries/Camenberts/Goats cheeses etc.

I love very strong cheddars etc. so strength isn't a problem.

And suggestions welcome...if such a cheese exists of course.

Try Epoisses maybe? Honestly, this is a very strange question. You want a soft cheese, but you hate soft cheeses. What about them can you not stand? The texture, the flavor? If strength doesn't bother you, is stinky okay? Why do you need a soft cheese for a risotto? They're traditionally made with a very hard cheese that's grated in at the end.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Picked up some of that Chimay Doré Gold stuff. Looking forward to it.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Aged brick cheese.

Something like this or a taleggio, any kind of washed rind would fit what you're asking for. Asiago fresco would work too.

But also you can't stand soft cheese so I don't know why it matters

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Taleggio or ricotta (or any other basic farmer cheese) might fit the bill.

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
One of our chefs made risotto with fresh mozzarella and balsamic today and it was amazing so I really don't know why you can't stand soft cheese besides being very bitchy

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

yes posted:

Try Epoisses maybe? Honestly, this is a very strange question. You want a soft cheese, but you hate soft cheeses. What about them can you not stand? The texture, the flavor? If strength doesn't bother you, is stinky okay? Why do you need a soft cheese for a risotto? They're traditionally made with a very hard cheese that's grated in at the end.

I don't hate soft cheeses - things like Roule, Boursin, Mozzarella etc. are fine. To me, things like Blue Cheese and Brie just taste...off. Sour almost. Just unpleasant.

Ended up using Tallagio, which was ok.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

hey dudes

you ever,

like,

:ducksiren:smoked cheese?:ducksiren:

yes
Aug 26, 2004

those look like dinner rolls

yes
Aug 26, 2004

what kind of cheese is it

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Basic homemade mozzarella. I have made 4 batches and am sitting at 50:50 success:failure ratio.
The first batch I ever made, last year, I overworked the living poo poo out of, and I was basically left with a crumbly protein blob.
Second batch was fine.
Third batch was fine.
Fourth batch ended up becoming ricotta somehow. I think I stirred too long after adding the rennet :effort:

yes
Aug 26, 2004

You shouldn't really stir at all right after the rennet goes in. Be gentle! Let the curd set for about five to ten minutes before cutting it. Only then do you stir it, slowly, for about 2 minutes while bringing the heat back up to like 105-110. I prefer to end it there, drain the curds off and store them in the fridge for later pulling.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I think the bottle of rennet I got was poo poo, I did another batch and watched it carefully, and was a lot more conservative with the stirring. Still ended up with thick ricotta.
Did another batch with the junket rennet I had used before and it worked perfectly, with super strong curds.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

So what am I meant to do with the litres of whey piling up in my fridge?

Made a couple of batches of awesome mozzarella, then extracted ricotta from the whey, but it doesn't feel right to pour it down the drain. Didn't like it in a shake, and all the hippy sites are just telling me to lactoferment things, which sounds abysmal.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

feed it to your pigs

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010
Looks like the fda has updated their alert for cheese imports, so until they stop being dicks expect to see some price increases or just stuff out of stock. I already can't order in morbier, roquefort, and blue d'auvergne, and I think blue stilton/huntsman is being affected now too.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

We slipped some Roquefort in somehow but are now forced to jack up the price.

Oh, and Andy Hatch let us know last week that there would be no Rush Creek Reserve this year due to the recent ambiguity of raw milk regulations. Sad days indeed.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

dumptruckzzz posted:

Looks like the fda has updated their alert for cheese imports, so until they stop being dicks expect to see some price increases or just stuff out of stock. I already can't order in morbier, roquefort, and blue d'auvergne, and I think blue stilton/huntsman is being affected now too.

This? http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cms_ia/importalert_9.html

quote:

Product Description:
ALL cheese and cheese product(s), except soft and soft ripened cheese from France

dumptruckzzz
Sep 13, 2010

Yeah but from what I gathered that lists all the active alerts, so if you look for the ones that were added recently you can see what's being affected. I only know because of a meeting I was at a few days ago, but I probably should've figured it out when that stuff stopped showing up...

yes
Aug 26, 2004

I haven't been able to import Tomme de Savoie for almost 3 months.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I bought some Cabrales from our local specialty cheesemonger last weekend. It's delicious but it's the first time I've had the sensation of a food actively chasing down my taste buds - "no, wait, there is MORE TO TASTE". It's an aggressive, spicy flavour, but I'm ok with that. Just make sure you wash your hands after handling it unless you want things you touch to also smell of cheese.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Goons avec Fromages, I need suggestions!

I'm traveling abroad for awhile and I'm in France, I've been here for just over a week and I heard that USDA restrictions on cheese are getting worse, so I've decided to eat all of the cheese while I'm here. I'll be here for another 2 or 3 weeks and then I'm off to Italy, so I'm making a list of must-try French cheeses. Before coming to France I knew nothing of real cheese so I'm still a newbie.

So far while in France I've had:
Camembert, Brie de Meaux, Fourme d'Ambert, Curé Nantais, and Bleu d'Auvergne, plus some chèvre that I never learned the name of unfortunately. I know I have to have Roquefort, but what else needs to be in the French Cheese List?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm trying to get into chesemaking. I'm trying hard cheeses, but I'm having a hell of a time getting a clean break in the time frames suggested by the recipes.

Today I'm following this basic colby cheese recipe. I've followed their recipe pretty exactly. I'm using two gallons of reasonably high quality milk; pasteurized, but not homogenized, whole milk from a local farm. I added a little calcium chloride to make up for the pasteurization. Brought the milk up to 86-88F on the stove (took an hour on low heat), then added their bacteria culture and waited an hour. Then I dumped in a half tablet of Junket suspended in 1/4 cup of cold water and stirred once. An hour later, and the milk is just as coagulated as when I started -- not at all. It's not even thickened. The milk temp hasn't really dropped, it's still above 85F.

I had the same problem last week. That time I used some buttermilk from the store as the culture and let it sit overnight. Next day, half of a junket tablet, and nothing for 2 or 3 hours. I got frustrated and dumped in the rest of the tablet, and it did end up coagulating an hour after that. I ended up pressing it and it's in storage now, but I worry the flavor will be bad because I doubled the rennet quantity.

Am just not being patient enough? Why would it take so long to coagulate? Am I not using enough rennet? Is my culture not inoculating enough before I add the rennet? Any suggestions?

Edit: Hmm, they say that Junket is no good especially for aged cheeses. Surprising, given how many recipes there are that use Junket.

Edit2: Pretty sure that was my problem. Went to a local cheesemaking store (god I love living in a city) and picked up some calf rennet. Should be in better shape.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 4, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Aaaaand five weeks later:

Colby cheese! It turned out really great! Creamy and sweet with a little bit of sharp bite. It's white because I didn't have any annatto (though I do now). I'd call it a major success for my first hard cheese. Very exciting, since I've been waiting for the results of this batch to see if I need to tweak anything for the next.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

ColdPie posted:

Aaaaand five weeks later:

Colby cheese! It turned out really great! Creamy and sweet with a little bit of sharp bite. It's white because I didn't have any annatto (though I do now). I'd call it a major success for my first hard cheese. Very exciting, since I've been waiting for the results of this batch to see if I need to tweak anything for the next.

Nice! I can't say I'm a big fan of Colby cheese, but I've heard that it goes well with salami and Merlot wine.

Great, now I want to find a good Gouda...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Variant_Eris posted:

Nice! I can't say I'm a big fan of Colby cheese, but I've heard that it goes well with salami and Merlot wine.

Great, now I want to find a good Gouda...

:colbert: Colby owns. I may be biased because it was first created an hour from here.

Regardless of hometown bias, it's a great snacking cheese.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
After having some amazing freshly made ricotta, I'm thinking of trying my hand at it and making some at home for Thanksgiving. Anyone have a good recipe and advice for someone that has never made cheese before?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dr. Pangloss posted:

After having some amazing freshly made ricotta, I'm thinking of trying my hand at it and making some at home for Thanksgiving. Anyone have a good recipe and advice for someone that has never made cheese before?

This could literally not be easier.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

The Midniter posted:

This could literally not be easier.

Haha. Yeah, I'd say that's pretty easy. Thanks, should've known to just go to serious eats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

one sexy loser posted:

So what am I meant to do with the litres of whey piling up in my fridge?

Made a couple of batches of awesome mozzarella, then extracted ricotta from the whey, but it doesn't feel right to pour it down the drain. Didn't like it in a shake, and all the hippy sites are just telling me to lactoferment things, which sounds abysmal.

Isn't ricotta traditionally made with whey? Make buckets of ricotta and share it with your neighbors.

• Locked thread