Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

bunnielab posted:

Someone please talk about cheese storage. Like, what is the best general method to get the longest life? We keep them in the fridge loosely wrapped in plastic in a large tupperware bin with a towel (changed weekly) in the bottom to absorb moisture. I came about this plan in a haphazard way but it does seem to make them last longer then tight plastic wrap and just sitting on a shelf.

Every oz of cheese we throw away pains me and but at the same time when I go on a cheese buying binge it is hard to buy just a weeks worth.

I mostly buy harder cheeses and just keep them in ziploc bags, and I wipe them down with baking soda/water roughly every other time I handle them. If I forget they do get moldy. We just finished a huge block of baby swiss we got as a gift early in December (relatives who work for Swiss Colony) and it kept perfectly well. I also just found a chunk of Ski Queen gjetost that fell behind a produce drawer 8 or 9 months ago and it was still fine. Dried out plastic-looking hard cheese bugs me a lot more than a few spots of mold I can just trim off. Soft types I eat quickly or I'd handle like you do and white-rind cheese I wrap in paper to avoid the ammonia stink, not that I buy much.

I probably wouldn't buy Swiss Colony cheese myself but I have noticed that Roth Kase in Monroe (WI) has improved recently - they used make mostly American-style swiss and baby swiss and a few weak imitations of traditional cheeses, but they're making more varieties now and they've surprised me: the last couple times I bought Grand Cru gruyere it was almost as good as mid-price swiss gruyere and costs maybe half as much. My other WI favorites for that nice quality/value balance are Carr Valley's affordable types, everything Saxon Creamery makes, and as mentioned earlier Sartori products - their SarVecchio parmesan is the only american one worth buying. Also I think there are at least 5 WI-made brands of goat and/or cow milk Leipäjuusto (Finnish bread cheese, normally melted a bit before serving) in stores now and they're all good and they're all going to make me a fatass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread