Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I have a question regarding the paths in this game - if you pick an explorer path or the other non-fighting path how much of the game is still "go out and kill things?" Do the paths allow you a lot of alternate activities without a lot of combat grinding, and also is leveling up based on killing things for experience or are there other ways to level up?

I get bored of just going out and killing things pretty quickly so I'm always on the lookout for MMOs that have a decent amount of other activities that you can do and still get a sense of progress if you decide to do them for a whole play session instead of combat activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Lowly posted:

I have a question regarding the paths in this game - if you pick an explorer path or the other non-fighting path how much of the game is still "go out and kill things?" Do the paths allow you a lot of alternate activities without a lot of combat grinding, and also is leveling up based on killing things for experience or are there other ways to level up?

I get bored of just going out and killing things pretty quickly so I'm always on the lookout for MMOs that have a decent amount of other activities that you can do and still get a sense of progress if you decide to do them for a whole play session instead of combat activities.

They have stated that all the Path's will have activities for you to do that aren't what your Path focuses on. For Example a Soldier might have 70% combat quest but then have 30% of quest like the other Path's. Alternatively, an explorer will have 70% explorer missions but 30% of other missions, including combat missions.

These percents are just made up so take them with a grain of salt.

There will still be a lot of go out and Kill X for everyone and a lot more if your a soldier but the Paths are there to give you something else to do while leveling.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

BadLlama posted:

They have stated that all the Path's will have activities for you to do that aren't what your Path focuses on. For Example a Soldier might have 70% combat quest but then have 30% of quest like the other Path's. Alternatively, an explorer will have 70% explorer missions but 30% of other missions, including combat missions.

These percents are just made up so take them with a grain of salt.

There will still be a lot of go out and Kill X for everyone and a lot more if your a soldier but the Paths are there to give you something else to do while leveling.

I'm willing to bet the explorer path is going to be kill bears and spiders while looking in a cave, while the soldier is going to be kill other dudes in a camp. That'll be your difference in paths.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Is there still a dearth of solid information on what Scientist and Settler paths are for? I know that, vaguely, one's lore and one's social, but not much beyond that.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Grimby posted:

I'm willing to bet the explorer path is going to be kill bears and spiders while looking in a cave, while the soldier is going to be kill other dudes in a camp. That'll be your difference in paths.

Doubt it, it is probably going to be here is Jumping puzzle #74 goodluck, actually. Of course you could collect bears asses while doing a jumping puzzle at the same time.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

BadLlama posted:

Doubt it, it is probably going to be here is Jumping puzzle #74 goodluck, actually.

While stopping to kill spiders and bears each time you fall down.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'm interested in how a group of friends leveling together will work when people have different paths. I imagine it will end up that there are a bunch of shared story/common quests, and the specific path quests are minimal and will be located in generally the same area. That or they find a way to give all party members some kind of credit for a member's path quest.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Holy poo poo, look at this new video about housing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDasSMtoDs

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone who's nerdgasming over the game's character is going to be sorely disappointed if the game doesn't have a super voiceacting cast who have been hidden up until this moment. You can't have a zany Ratchet & Clank MMORPG with zero dialogue and just text and emotes; all of the great attitude in the trailers is going to be nonexistent in the game itself.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Depends. If the writing and character models carry over the same level of character, they'll manage. We don't need a fully voiced soliloquy from every quest like in TOR for it to come across.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Valatar posted:

Everyone who's nerdgasming over the game's character is going to be sorely disappointed if the game doesn't have a super voiceacting cast who have been hidden up until this moment. You can't have a zany Ratchet & Clank MMORPG with zero dialogue and just text and emotes; all of the great attitude in the trailers is going to be nonexistent in the game itself.

You're one of those weirdos who reads quest text aren't you? :colbert:

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Valatar posted:

The quests I played through in the demo were voice acted, specifically the dominion agent who would call you over the radio and update your quest and the huntress who had you track down some killer panthers and an eventual boss fight.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Holy poo poo, look at this new video about housing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IDasSMtoDs

Beats EQ2 and Rift Housing easily.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
^^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtl_tBRPWDU 45 minute dev presentation from the last page goes into a lot more detail about housing. Long, but worth watching at least the first half.

Eltoasto posted:

I'm interested in how a group of friends leveling together will work when people have different paths. I imagine it will end up that there are a bunch of shared story/common quests, and the specific path quests are minimal and will be located in generally the same area. That or they find a way to give all party members some kind of credit for a member's path quest.
In that 45 minute presentation video, the dev said that people get experience for helping someone from a different path do their thing. And from the videos, it looks like the path stuff is on top of the normal combat and questing. I doubt you'll be able to level entirely through non-combat as an explorer or settler.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 26, 2013

Urinal Farter
May 5, 2006

I really like what I'm hearing about the paths working together. In the 45 minute dev video an example is presented where a Scientist and Explorer are working together. The Explorer opens up a secret underground cave that, in addition to whatever the explorer does there, also contains rare mushrooms that the Scientist can scan and catalog.

Everyone is used to having to team up with other players to kill elite monsters or bosses or whatever, but being encouraged to play with others in order to accomplish exploration and non-combat tasks is pretty cool.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

grrarg posted:

^^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtl_tBRPWDU 45 minute dev presentation from the last page goes into a lot more detail about housing. Long, but worth watching at least the first half.

In that 45 minute presentation video, the dev said that people get experience for helping someone from a different path do their thing. And from the videos, it looks like the path stuff is on top of the normal combat and questing. I doubt you'll be able to level entirely through non-combat as an explorer or settler.

Just watched it, good presentation and then they mentioned UI Modding (Addons).
I have no reason to not pass this game up now and not like I was going too anyways.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

EvilReindeer posted:

I really like what I'm hearing about the paths working together. In the 45 minute dev video an example is presented where a Scientist and Explorer are working together. The Explorer opens up a secret underground cave that, in addition to whatever the explorer does there, also contains rare mushrooms that the Scientist can scan and catalog.

Everyone is used to having to team up with other players to kill elite monsters or bosses or whatever, but being encouraged to play with others in order to accomplish exploration and non-combat tasks is pretty cool.

This sounds really fun and interesting - I like the idea of working together to do things other than kill bosses, for sure, especially if the grouping mechanic can be casual like it is in GW2. I am glad to hear that there is plenty to do besides kill quests and to be honest, looking at the housing stuff that alone would probably make me get this as long as it's not a subscription game.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
OK, take my money Carbine. Just take it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I do hope the combat at least ends up reasonably fun in this because everything else looks really drat good. Doesn't need to be super spectacular, but at least on par with GW2 would be fine. All the combat footage so far has looked really boring though, so hopefully that's just low level stuff.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I'm personally really burned out on the combat in most MMOs. I've played everything from EVE to WoW to GW2 and a ton of little MMOs in between and I'm just so goddamn tired of it. I still do it because I know it, but I've started to treat managing a guild as a game because of how bland everything else is.

At this point Builder or Scientist looks so ridiculously attractive. I can build towns and stuff for guilds/people to use? I sincerely hope they release a video expanding on that soon. Can I build towns in open world? Is it just upgradtes to existing towns? Questions like that.

I'm trying so hard not to get hyped up for this game after my GW experience.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Tupper posted:

At this point Builder or Scientist looks so ridiculously attractive. I can build towns and stuff for guilds/people to use? I sincerely hope they release a video expanding on that soon. Can I build towns in open world? Is it just upgradtes to existing towns? Questions like that.

They've said very little about Settler and Scientist but it sounds like Settler will be upgrading or expanding already existing towns. I imagine they'll have to have some kind of benefit with player housing though.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

All the combat footage so far has looked really boring though, so hopefully that's just low level stuff.

Its all been low level PVE and lets face it, in like every MMO PVE, especially low level PVE, is pretty boring (Sorry raiders). The combat seems like it could be really fun in pvp though with all the different dodge mechanics and tells.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Goddamn that housing video makes this look cool as hell. I can't wait now.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

To me character is more about atmosphere than actual literal characters.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013

AlmightyBob posted:

Goddamn that housing video makes this look cool as hell. I can't wait now.

Though wonder are we allowed to build anywhere?

Even with the flying house concept, it will eventually run out of lands and the sky covered with houses.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm guessing some environments just show a bunch of generic house-islands floating above, and your actual house is an entirely separate instance. They're not actually the player houses up there.

Orv
May 4, 2011

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm guessing some environments just show a bunch of generic house-islands floating above, and your actual house is an entirely separate instance. They're not actually the player houses up there.

This is correct, housing is just an instance, not in-world at all behind the occasional sky box graphics.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Orv posted:

This is correct, housing is just an instance, not in-world at all behind the occasional sky box graphics.

It would have been nice to have an entire zone dedicated to housing. Then you could have neighbors and such. But the housing looks extensive either way and fun. I just wish with so much customization you wouldn't have to invite people to see it, that people could just walk by and see it.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bardlebee posted:

It would have been nice to have an entire zone dedicated to housing. Then you could have neighbors and such. But the housing looks extensive either way and fun. I just wish with so much customization you wouldn't have to invite people to see it, that people could just walk by and see it.

The video did mention making your house public so that anyone could visit, so I'm guessing there's a way to check other people's houses.

Godamn that gameplay video from PAX is discouraging. Not because the combat is lame or whatever, it's just that the guy playing it had no idea of how to play a more action based MMO even when the clues where right there. Big Red Area? meh moving is too much effort.

It could have been a lot more exciting, instead we get that static button mashing. At least we know (unless they reverted that idea) that killing things "in style" gives a better reward, so there's always an incentive to make every combat as silly and complex as you can, by dodging, stunning and whatnot.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
Well according to the Wildstar housing video, it shouldn't be an instance cause you need to clear the land first before able to build

The video also shows multiple house side by side

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Housing is currently in instance. They are working on ways to have nearby "neighbors" actually display as plots owned by your friends, guild, and possibly your mortal enemy. Load the (defensive) cannon!

WhiteBoyShuffle
Nov 1, 2004
That was one thing I didn't like about housing on Horizons. It was out in the open, so if you didn't have the money when the rush started you were kind of screwed out of a plot. However, with housing being instanced, it kind of loses that feeling of being part of the world. But if they can have the neighbors displayed as friends/guild members, it could turn out quite well.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

WhiteBoyShuffle posted:

That was one thing I didn't like about housing on Horizons. It was out in the open, so if you didn't have the money when the rush started you were kind of screwed out of a plot. However, with housing being instanced, it kind of loses that feeling of being part of the world. But if they can have the neighbors displayed as friends/guild members, it could turn out quite well.

Well, I mean they don't have to have one big instance with everyone's plots, but if they had multiple instances, each instance having maybe 100-500 plots. You could grab 4 or 5 friends and build your houses together, or just in general have neighbors. You could still have the instanced housing area, but now with better social interaction. I don't know about you, but making your own house public is kinda "meh" to me. There is probably no way I would just click on random people's houses to look at stuff unless I was dead bored.

Not faulting all the effort they put in though. The housing plots look awesome as hell, just wish there was a better social element to them instead of a remote island.

EDIT: In the 41 minute video they did hint they were "trying" for something better as far as social stuff but they didn't go into much because they didn't want to promise too much. Which I find pretty nice that they aren't making "campaign promises" like many other dev teams have for hype.

Bardlebee fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 28, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

As cool as having housing actually in the game world all I can think of is SWG and how that game simply turned into every planet being covered with poo poo houses everywhere making any trip across the planet and exercise in dodging houses. It would be nice if they were able to get the housing to be more of a persistent thing in the world but with a lot of restrictions so peoples houses aren't just everywhere.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That's kind of how LOTRO had housing the last time I played it. A big residential instance, where you could rent/buy a house in a neighborhood.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

Schubalts posted:

That's kind of how LOTRO had housing the last time I played it. A big residential instance, where you could rent/buy a house in a neighborhood.

Yeah, I think this would be the perfect "middle ground" of the two ideas. Either way, the housing is pretty cool, I wonder what type of buffs you get from the different furniture and such.

I also hope beta starts at some point soon. Very excited for this game, hoping it isn't as meh feeling as Guild Wars 2 was for me.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
I'm hoping that combat ends up more like GW2 "Combat Mode" or Tera Online, but it doesn't look like it.

Still should be an improvement on most MMOs.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the combat is probably the only thing I currently cringe at when watching videos. Everything else looks like a great start. Unfortunately, the combat and how it feels is really important. It's how you interface and accomplish things in an MMO most of the time, and if it's not compelling or satisfying to kill enemies and complete quests, people aren't going to care much about the other fluff in the game. I really do hope that as the alpha/beta goes on, they do several passes and maybe even a complete overhaul of the combat.

vvv That's pretty true too.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 28, 2013

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think I've ever watched MMO combat and thought it looked fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Judging from what I played of the PAX build, the combat is as WoW as you can possibly get without actually being WoW. The only differences are that you can see the red zones to move out of, and there is no autoattack, so I hope you love hitting the 1 key. (I think you could also hold right mouse and it would automatically spam the 1 key)

• Locked thread