Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

I really dig this game's artstyle(finally someone has gone full cartoony and not gotten all anime with it), but being under NCsoft is pretty much a dealbreaker. Unless it turns out to be amazing, I doubt I'll even be trying it out.

Interested to hear anyone's impressions once they get their hands on it though. Is this a traditional subscription game, buy-to-play, or straight F2P with a cash shop?

Don't think they've said anything about the payment model yet.

I've been cautiously optimistic about this for a while. The non-soldier paths have the potential to actually be different from other MMO's but we'll see how that pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Here's a post about PvP. Most of it is pretty standard stuff but this sounds like it could be really fun.

quote:

“WildStar Flavor” also means giving you choices. This is where Warplot PvP shines. In Warplot PvP, Warparties (formal guild-like structures – you can be in a Warparty and you can be in a guild!) will be able to own large plots of land in which they can add modifications to build up their base. The Warparty can then queue up for Warplot PvP and be matched against similarly skilled/built-out opponents. Warparty players will be able to damage and destroy modifications, repair their own modifications, and lay down mines, traps, and much more. There’s nothing static about that!”

Phoix fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 10, 2013

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

They've been running a few in-character Twitter accounts. This one is making it sound like beta invites might be going out soon.

edit: aaand a similar one from the other account.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 11, 2013

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Peechka posted:

Public events, dynamic events (Rift outpost invasions but that actually worked for example), massive dangerous social dungeons like EQ had, "Epic" type quests, even some camping, AO's random generated missions, group or solo, is all better than running around collecting bear asses for some meaningless reward you will replace in 1-2 levels. Sorry but any game that takes WoW questing as their main leveling idea is already fail IMO.

Besides Im not a game designer, the people which are paid to do this for a living can come up with new unique and fun ways to level up, rather than just tossing in some fetch quests while hand holding the player from one quest outpost to another. Its a cop out by now, being lazy. How can anyone stand this type of game play anymore is beyond me. Essentially the last 6 yrs of mmorpgs gave us nothing but the same, are you not tired of this yet? Dont you want something new, fresh?

I feel like the Path system is basically what you're describing, though. The game has standard quests but the different paths should provide all kinds of alternatives.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Tupper posted:

At this point Builder or Scientist looks so ridiculously attractive. I can build towns and stuff for guilds/people to use? I sincerely hope they release a video expanding on that soon. Can I build towns in open world? Is it just upgradtes to existing towns? Questions like that.

They've said very little about Settler and Scientist but it sounds like Settler will be upgrading or expanding already existing towns. I imagine they'll have to have some kind of benefit with player housing though.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Draynar posted:

TSW did have by far the best dungeons. It didn't do well cause people never even got that far in the game. Most hated the combat before they reached dungeons. TSW released when GW2 was coming out so most people wrote it off. It also didnt have a lfd tool so you had to find groups.

Yeah, I loving hated TSW combat and I thought everything about it felt terrible but the dungeons were pretty much perfect. Every MMO should steal them.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

So did anyone actually get in? Haven't seen anyone bragging on twitter yet. I figured my odds would be pretty good because I signed up back in 2011 and most people seemed to miss the beta survey in the newsletter but nope!

edit: Basically just hoping invites haven't actually gone out yet. :v:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bauxite posted:

They commented on their facebook that the first wave of invites have gone out. There'll be more to come, so just sit tight I guess.

They're still going out. :toot:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Abandon All Hope posted:

I remember a time when goons weren't afraid to break the NDA, at least just a little.

Oh well.

There are Wildstar devs reading the thread so I doubt they'd be able to break NDA for very long. :v:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Overbite posted:

I signed up for the beta at their PAX East booth and didn't get an invite yet! When I signed up for the Firefall beta at their booth last year I got one on the spot! GG Blizz.

Check the newsletters they send if you opted in. Right now they're pulling people based on system specs and they get those from a survey in the newsletter. They said they'll be sending another soon.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Merope posted:

Anyone know what's the class that they leaked? <Redacted> appears a few times in those answers, it felt like the devs slipped up about a new class. Maybe it showed in the patch notes as well but I only peaked through them.

They posted <REDACTED> originally, they're just teasing people.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Lemon King posted:

Any information on how UI customization will work? And is it XML, LUA or Python based?
I also got a weird we're not allow to talk about this from CurseForge: http://wildstar.curseforge.com/ws-addons/

Lua. They're really trying to encourage UI modding.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the heck caused that dip in the WoW East line?

The graphs are almost 100% estimates unless a company includes subscriber numbers in their quarterly reports. The dip could just be less people using Xfire. There's no real way to know.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Bardlebee posted:

I kind of feel like they are giving us IV drippings of information when they have SO much to release. We are missing classes and races. That is fine, there are only a few left. But look at all the zones they haven't released! When is this slotted to come out? They would have to release a view of a new zone almost every week at some point.

Really, I am just impatient. :colbert:

I'm pretty sure the release window is basically just "2013, hopefully" so they can go very slowly. :v:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Stress test this weekend.

quote:

We have been taking Beta Registrations for some time now, and we are going to be inviting a lot of people to come play WildStar for one weekend only in our first Stress Test. In fact, some of the invites will have already gone out by the time this article is published (check those spam filters!).

edit:

quote:

Editor's Note: Originally this article stated that we were hosting a stress test this weekend. This is not the case, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We will keep you updated on the exact timing of our stress test in the coming days, and apologize for any confusion.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 8, 2013

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Doh004 posted:

Still nothing :emo:

They just added this. :v:

quote:

Editor's Note: Originally this article stated that we were hosting a stress test this weekend. This is not the case, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We will keep you updated on the exact timing of our stress test in the coming days, and apologize for any confusion.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Opinionated posted:

The difference is Tera's combat actually felt fluid and engaging. Wildstar combat felt very boring when I tried it, hitting a newbie mob for 1 minute is barely an exaggeration sadly. Seems like they have some cool ideas, but man the combat turned me off real quick.

Maybe it's the type you need to play more before it opens up, I'm hoping that's the case!

I think it's one of the very few cases where it's actually a solvable problem. The animation work is so good that they just need to tweak numbers and the combat will feel great.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

THE PWNER posted:

I don't mean that I don't like it, I mean that it's just a poorly implemented afterthought in most games. When the game is actually structured with it in mind initially like daoc, gw2, or planetside 2, then it can be good. But I haven't heard anything about Wildstar that indicates that.

I don't think it's a primary focus but here's an interview from August that gives a neat example of non-structured PvP.

"ZAM posted:

“Whitevale’s a cool zone because there’s a zombie invasion going on right now, where little squids are running around and attaching themselves to people’s heads, creating this big sort of zombie invasion. There’re giant robots stalking around that are not just interesting in their own right, but they’re actual mobile PvP bases. They’ll defend players nearby; they’ll attack other players that come near. And so on the show floor you just opt in for PvP, and start running around beating the crap out of the other faction.

“A lot of people are hugging the robots and helping them out, and a lot of people are trying to beat up others as they’re exiting the town hubs and fighting in the area around. Every zone after level 20 is shared and so, if you’re on a PvP server, there’s open world PvP. And rather than having PvP objectives like flags, we tend to put elements in the world that are interesting for PvP, like those giant robot bases.”

edit: And I just realized I totally misread your post out of context but I'll just leave it here because it's a neat thing.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 27, 2013

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

For us plebes who couldn't get into the beta-beta, the other beta is starting back up in December! Also a big info dump about classes coming soon but who cares about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-iGCV0IwzU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Just keep in mind they probably have hundreds of thousands of applications from people who have all the time in the world to play Wildstar and very few from people who hate MMOs and never play them. They also want to see what those people think of the game.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If you're a new invite you should have extra keys to give away.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Harabeck posted:

I feel my question is itself an admission of incomplete knowledge. Before I go spend hours watching streams, I just want to know if the majority of PvE content is kill X critters or activate Y mcguffins like the starting area was when I played it.

If you're completely burnt out on that kind of game Wildstar is probably not for you. It's just a very good one of those games.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about the combat system but it's probably because it needs a lot more refinement. It feels kinda janky to me, and it's trying to be a couple of things at the same time. I've gotten very used to the movement/combat in GW2 and if they can get Wildstar to be as responsive and fluid feeling it'll probably play well enough.

I'm the opposite. I tried to go back to GW2 a few weeks ago and I thought it felt awful after playing a lot of Wildstar. That might just be GW2 not having sprint, though. :v:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Also if you're someone already in the beta who hasn't played for a while I'd encourage you to come back and try this patch because it rules.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Are races getting a different sprint animation later or is it going to be the same one as the running animation just faster?

There's a separate animation, it's just subtle. You lean forward and curl your arms.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Can we just stop arguing about the drat 40 man raid poo poo and just play the game? I've got a level 8 medic so far and it's pretty fun.

Wait until you get Quantum Cascade. :getin:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Please don't let it be as bad as Tera's.

There's someone arguing that the reason some female posters complained about the old character models is because they have small breasts themselves. We're getting there!

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Evil_Greven posted:

I worry for other animations, given commentary elsewhere.

The combat animations are great for most race/class combos. The female walk cycles are pretty bad across the board though.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Requested_Username posted:

They should make it a dance dance revolution style series of arrow keys

This minigame actually already exists in the world so they have the tech for it ready to go. :getin:

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

As someone who enjoys large scale pvp, is Wildstar going to let me down?

Warplots might be good for this but no one has tried them yet. Otherwise yes. It isn't that kind of game.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 22, 2014

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

queeb posted:

Where'd you see these? I probably have a few, I've never checked.

They email them out every so often or you get them via contests/giveaways on the forums. I think most of them just end up rotting away because of how they handle NDA breaks. If the person you invite gets banned you get banned with them.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

On the topic of beta access if everyone wants to keep theirs they should read the thread about the new patch in the general forum.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I've never really had this happen while playing a video game before, especially not an MMO, but something about this game gives me a headache every time I play for more than 10 minutes. I really wish I could figure out what's wrong.

It's probably the watermark. Most people stop noticing it but a friend of mine couldn't stop seeing it.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Cabbit posted:

There's appears to have been a massive distribution of new art assets to low level armor, and god drat is it glorious. My Esper's wardrobe has expanded from Spacer Vest A and Spacer Vest B (which admittedly looked good!) to a whole bunch of different jackets, hoodies, shirts, and so forth.

I think 75% of my time in this game is going to be spent hunting down new clothing, housing decor, and crap to festoon my vehicle with.

They changed the Squirg hat into a rebreather what the gently caress.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not wrong at all, you're dead on.

Yeah, as someone who has played a lot of Wildstar let me promise everyone that it gets more MMO-y than you can possibly imagine.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Grinding mobs is a thing in Wildstar.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

If you want a key quote this post with your email because I am too cheap to buy PMs.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 11, 2014

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Gmail says this doesn't exist.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Calihan posted:

Eh? It should. How about iiishadowmystiii@gmail.com ?

Sent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Sion posted:

I've always been really leary about doing optimization at the end of a games development. You'll find poo poo that you didn't expect and before you know where you are, you're having to rewrite huge loving chunks of code that have dependencies elsewhere. The classic Blizzard philosophy of 'polish is not something you do at the end of the project' should apply to code more than anything else in my opinion :v:

They've been pretty good about optimization so far. Algoroc used to give me ~15 fps and now it runs at ~60 most of the time. The most recent patch has a memory leak and in general runs worse, though.

• Locked thread