Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That video looks really great. It looks like everything they're designing has a modern, intuitive look to it. Like in the housing section, moving items around and decorating seemed a breeze compared to other MMOs with housing. The UI looks incredibly clear and polished. My absolute favorite thing about this game so far is the graphics. At it's worst it looks like a more advanced WoW aesthetic (maybe even TOR), and at its best it looks like a bright vibrant painting with tons of personality and life.

The ability to install mines, farm vegetables, raise animals for wool and other things, on your plot of land seems like the next level of housing that goes beyond just a place to show off trophies. I like how they mentioned that your friends can come in and tend your gardens and so forth if you go on vacation, and they'll get part of the reward.

The combat doesn't look like anything extraordinary. The newness of dodging out of red areas is gone, with most new MMOs these days using that system. But honestly it's the best system anyone has come up with so far, so I'm not complaining that they're going that route necessarily.

I'm interested in the non-Soldier classes, because platforming and exploring in an MMO world is one of my favorite things. They're doing a really good job of hitting my "wish list" for an MMO. Non or limited combat classes, player housing with a purpose, great art style, personality, and a setting that isn't high fantasy.

Sorry if this was a long rambling post, but those are my impressions after watching that Press Demo. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

Everyone who's nerdgasming over the game's character is going to be sorely disappointed if the game doesn't have a super voiceacting cast who have been hidden up until this moment. You can't have a zany Ratchet & Clank MMORPG with zero dialogue and just text and emotes; all of the great attitude in the trailers is going to be nonexistent in the game itself.

To me character is more about atmosphere than actual literal characters.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the combat is probably the only thing I currently cringe at when watching videos. Everything else looks like a great start. Unfortunately, the combat and how it feels is really important. It's how you interface and accomplish things in an MMO most of the time, and if it's not compelling or satisfying to kill enemies and complete quests, people aren't going to care much about the other fluff in the game. I really do hope that as the alpha/beta goes on, they do several passes and maybe even a complete overhaul of the combat.

vvv That's pretty true too.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 28, 2013

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The bad thing about a sub model to me, is, people aren't very likely to come back to see if the game has gotten better. So if Wildstar has half its population or more quit after the first month like most MMOs do, those people probably won't want to subscribe 6 months down the line "just to see how it is now." If they can hop back in to a free account after the game has fixed and added some things, then that's good for the population. I don't mind free and premium accounts though, as long as the free accounts get access to all the content and aren't limited on character slots, bank slots, bag slots, and money accrual like some games do.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just don't understand having 2 factions if you're not going to have world pvp. I guess if it turns out like DAoC frontiers and battlegrounds that would be ok, but I doubt it because that needs 3 factions to work really well.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I forgot how terrible NC Soft is. I got my password wrong and for over an hour now it's been telling me to "wait a few minutes" before I try again. Anything I can do to trick it or something so I don't have to wait for hours just to log into the website? I reset my router and even upgraded its firmware thinking that would do something, but I'm no harvey computer.

E: wow that took a long time.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 29, 2014

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I was going to utilize the NCSoft_Support twitter account but the last post they had was in 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

VoLaTiLe posted:

I played a medic in one of the stress tests I felt a bit let down by the resonator sounds and animations, I really think it needs to feel and look more powerful.

At the time I played the class the animations quickly became boring and it felt like I was doing the same thing over and over.

I've leveled every class to 10 and medic was the only one I felt kinda bored with. It's sad because I love playing healer/medic classes, but it just wasn't working for me compared to Engineer and others.

• Locked thread