Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I heard about this game only a few months back and it looks really interesting. The first videos I watched were on the telegraphs and my reaction was along the lines of "seriously this is your idea of innovation?" But then I saw the housing video and the race intros and the characters/art is just so ridiculously endearing to me. Plus the setting is pretty much ideal for what I like in games.

I like the "paths" system but I really hope it can be implemented well and stuck-to. I mean some days I want to smack the poo poo out of some bad guys but some other days I'd love to just build my flying house/guild fortress or craft or something. Hell, if they can pull off the housing and guild forts the way they're saying they will, that might just make the game for me. I love the idea of two guild forts pummeling the poo poo out of each other hundreds of feet in the air.

tl;dr: please please please be good (but it probably won't maybe, thanks mmo-cynicism)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Doesn't look like anyone's posted this yet. 45 minutes of video a good chunk of which is dedicated to player housing (including the DevSpeak posted above). Looks absolutely awesome.

Warning, intro is loving loud and annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtl_tBRPWDU

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Someone got a camera on a demo for 41 minutes at PAX. The guy says he has another 40 minute segment of video he'll upload after some editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veB3Qf6dvgE

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
I'm personally really burned out on the combat in most MMOs. I've played everything from EVE to WoW to GW2 and a ton of little MMOs in between and I'm just so goddamn tired of it. I still do it because I know it, but I've started to treat managing a guild as a game because of how bland everything else is.

At this point Builder or Scientist looks so ridiculously attractive. I can build towns and stuff for guilds/people to use? I sincerely hope they release a video expanding on that soon. Can I build towns in open world? Is it just upgradtes to existing towns? Questions like that.

I'm trying so hard not to get hyped up for this game after my GW experience.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Some gaming journalism people got a 1 on 1 session with the devs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzPY2r9yMQ

e: also per http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/wildstar-is-an-mmorpg-built-on-pixar-like-bunnygirls-magic-pistols-and-home the beta starts "Really really really really really soon." Gettin' excited since I signed up really early on.

Tupper fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 30, 2013

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
The combat still worries me a bit for some of the reasons people mentioned in the thread so far. It looks a little boring and their reliance on the telegraph mechanic for literally EVERYTHING might either be a boon or a bane. Not sure yet, gotta see it.

Also I don't think the build they've been showing off has the combat totally fleshed out. They keep using that lizard dude with claws instead of some of the potentially more interesting classes and weapons.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Fuuuuck I want to be a builder.

The production quality on the videos (the ones with the animated characters ofc) are mind-blowing. It is like an up-to-date WoW plus Pixar plus cartoony Firefly. Every video I see just ups the hype.

Here's hoping we don't get another GW2.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Dosvidanya posted:

I did at 9pm EST tonight so I assume they might be wave based.

Out of curiosity when did you sign up for beta?

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Jesus. I signed up Jan 27th. :sigh:

ONE DAY

In the meantime I'll just keep teaching arus how to kerbal

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
As long as the movement and combat is smooth and polished it really doesn't matter if its amazingly innovative or whatever. WoW's combat is decidedly simplistic (compared to some other examples that include dodge rolling or combo fields or ability combos or what have you) but the reason it is so good is because of the polish they put into movement and ensuring that the game feels responsive and smooth.

If they can pull that off then I'll be satisfied with combat.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

A Tartan Tory posted:

Mechari Medic :getin:

Yep basically. After seeing info and that really sweet screen of the medic with the dual Y shaped healguns on the medic, I was hoping that Mechari would be able to be robot space priests.

my dreams are coming true :allears:

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

KaboomzZz posted:

Oof. Anyone else watch these fully? Awkward guy in black suit on a beach with bikini's tanning in the background, talking about how much of a market the West has for 50 cent roses where guys can buy for girl characters in games, where the most popular girl gets a special item because she received the most roses... talking about ice breakers etc.

Its that bad ncsoft vibe I'm getting dudebros, this is why I'm so drat curious about this game, get me in there and let me see if its gonna be a thing, or a money grab.

fakeedit: I just thought about it for 17 seconds and I just became even more fearful. That poo poo works in china (I know, I've seen the Vice episode) because they're not allowed to birth more than one demon onto this wretched planet, and most couples choose to birth a dude, thus there are no girls. There are those markets where parents sell their daughters to old guys because the old guy's family has died and he can financially support the daughter and her parents (as customary in china that the guy pays for everything), so in that sense the rose thing sorta makes sense because their culture is completely hosed but over here its just going to be a bunch of dudes and postops playing female avatars trying to get them pixels. (I'm looking at you Arus, you sexy beast).

Judging from the reaction of others I am thankful that I can barely follow your post in the slightest. Please stop posting

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Al Borland posted:

Nothing is too "Moe" for Arus.

Except maybe Swiss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I really want to like the engineer but the thing that kills it for me is the slowdown in movement speed whenever you do anything.

Particularly when you hit R, you should never feel like you want to cancel your 2 minute cooldown before the buff runs out, thats not fun.

I really like the flavour and abilities of the class. The TTK doesnt even bother me, but that snare on my ultimate is a dealbreaker for me.

I love the idea of engineer. But the problem is I ran into a brick wall around 14 or so where I just couldn't kill poo poo without popping my R every single mob. I don't know if I was undergeared or what, but my bots felt useless (despite 'speccing' for them), my "tankiness" just wasn't there (despite stacking grit), and my damage output wasn't high enough (even when built for it) to win the arms race. All that plus zero self-heals (which is ok by itself, but with all the rest of the problems...) makes me think engineer needs some hard work. I pretty much agree with your post too btw.

Sigh. I just want to be a robot-commanding dominion maniac bent on destroying the exiles and building pretty pretty houses. SIGH

• Locked thread