Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Looks like the 4th Dominion race was inadvertently leaked during a press preview about a month ago.

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo&t=505s has a brief developer description
This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haEZDgkIZk&t=637s zooms in slightly further for a better look

They seem to be a race of mad scientists; possibly a cross between GW2's Asura and WoW's Goblins. Physically, they appear to be a short race that has fur and huge bat-like ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
So apparently there's an ask-and-answer thing going on today with the Wildstar devs on Reddit. It should go up at 11AM PST.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Grimby posted:

I'd much rather be limited to using 9 skills in combat where I can pick and choose which ones to use and create my own builds instead of having to deal with WoW and friends 40+ skills and being forced to write macros in order to setup rotations and blah blah blah. I am personally loving ecstatic MMOs are moving away from the 4-5 hotbars full of skills poo poo. My biggest disappointment in TOR was the fact that they went with the hotbars full of skills plan rather than an approach like TSW or GW2 when it came to combat.

I can support this in principle, but the limit of 7-10 presented by other games always ends up seeming stale to me. Either the core abilities end up being too simplistic or the situational/timer skills simply aren't there. 20 abilities is the sweet spot IMO -- set up keys for one full bar, apply a modifier button (Shift, CTRL, etc.) for the second bar and you're done.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And yeah I agree, just having to watch for the red circle just seems kinda boring/lazy to me. Watching monster tells and such is a lot more fun.

This only really works if 1) the massed graphic effects of multiple players hitting a monster doesn't completely obscure any subtlety to their animations, and 2) there is nothing in the game environment or UI that forces the player's primary attention to the edges of the screen. Every MMO in existence has failed at one or the other, most of them failing both. Even GW2 failed this, which is surprising considering that they specifically said prior to release that they wanted to avoid this problem.

The telegraph system seems fine. Making the poo poo on the ground subtle doesn't necessarily make a mechanic more difficult, it just makes it more annoying and feel cheaper. Considering that "move out of the fire" is a concept that's rarely addressed in MMOs beyond max-level group content, it's refreshing to see it integrated into the most basic Kill Ten Rats newbie quests. I can only hope that the difficulty curve will gradually rise to the point where dealing with the telegraphs requires some forethought and decision making in addition to straight reaction time.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Schubalts posted:

These guys.

There was a developer tweet that suggested that this is not the 4th race.

http://www.wildstarforums.com/news/23666-wildstar-news-a-new-redacted-the-dregg

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Me: "Oh hey, 40-some new posts in the Wildstar thread since this morning! Maybe they revealed some new info, or sent out a wave of beta invites!"

Nope. We've moved on from lovely rehashed arguments about raiders vs. casuals to lovely rehashed arguments about MMO business models. Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Flumbooze posted:

Yeah, UI addons. How far they go, I've got no idea.

They've pledged full support for UI mods: http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/slap-a-rocket-on-a-pig-wildstars-modding-and-pgc-community/

"Troy Hewitt, producer and community director at Carbine, and David Bass, Carbine's senior community manager, let me pull them aside to talk addons. "The idea is that nothing in the UI is untouchable," Bass said to lure me in.

Why would I talk to the community dudes instead of, say, a programmer knee-deep in lua? Because modding is all about the community. Hewitt made his opinion clear: "I have always personally held the belief that UI mods for World of Warcraft are more responsible for the accessibility and the popularity of the game than anything. There are lots of people who are purists, but MMOs are technical beasts, and UI mods create an opportunity for people to enjoy the game in the way that they want."

I'm definitely inclined to agree with his thoughts. The article goes on to mention how Player-Generated Content (i.e. the sort of item-based addons that the TF2 community makes and sells) are definitely going to be A Thing in Wildstar. Pretty interesting stuff.

• Locked thread